Pages:
Author

Topic: [POOL][Scrypt][Scrypt-N][X11] Profit switching pool - wafflepool.com - page 83. (Read 465674 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Hi,

I'm missing a payment.  On the pool side, it shows a payment. On blockchain.info it also shows the payment. But it's not showing on my wallet!!

Could someone please clarify how I could fix this.

thanks.
Activity: 78
Merit: 10
PoolWaffle,

Do you keep operational logs?

I've noticed the fluctuation of the profitability as the day moves on and would like to know whether or not logs are being taken to determine whether or not the switching algorithm can be improved.

Because let's face it, the main reason you're at the top is because you are more on-target and hands on than any other multipool owner I know.

I just want to know if the algorithm can be improved to increase profitability. Do you have a Beta Testing Pool?

-DM

I keep tweaking the switcher algorithm reasonably often (every few days normally).  And while I'm sure there are still improvements to be found, I feel like we're pretty close to optimal as it is.

What do you mean by: "I've noticed the fluctuation of the profitability as the day moves on"?

I'm just talking about how the predicted profitability changes throughout the day as the estimates change. I think it might be useful to determine the cause of some upticks.

On a new note, what if a multipool mined coins in proportion to the coins that were profitable the day before. So if there was a distribution of 78% litecoin, 15% dogecoin, etc you would mine that proportion the next day, but not sell any of those coins (additionally, there would be an algorithm to update the distribution for the next day). The coins mined the day before and/or earlier in the day would be sold. This is to counter what happens to coins when they are multipooled. If you watch exchanges, you can see that each coin that is multipooled holds its value until the coins are confirmed and sold like crazy. If you had coins that were mined the day before and/or earlier, you could sell off early and get a few more BitCoins for beating the other multipools.

That's what I'll be working on over the summer, but on a much smaller scale. (I wont be mining blocks from any of my wallets since I only have 5mh/s to test on :/ I'll probably find a few good pools and use them)

-DM
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
Thanks PW..  And my Miners are hosted so I really have no way to track my Hash rate say for like the last 24hrs (To make sure I did not go down or something)..

GAW hosting is horrible as far as hashrate monitoring is concerned. The only way to remedy this is to use a pool that provides alerts for idle/underperforming workers (sorry waffle) and grill GAW support whenever the hashrate drops. That's almost a full time job unfortunately.

You are so right and it's probably the grids fault which is a shame.
Activity: 180
Merit: 1003

Thanks PW..  And my Miners are hosted so I really have no way to track my Hash rate say for like the last 24hrs (To make sure I did not go down or something)..

I miss that one WP site that use to give REALLY good Hash Rate History..   Are there any other WP stats sites that do this?

you can see 12 hr hash rates at www.wafflepoolmonitor.com
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org

GAW hosting is horrible as far as hashrate monitoring is concerned. The only way to remedy this is to use a pool that provides alerts for idle/underperforming workers (sorry waffle) and grill GAW support whenever the hashrate drops. That's almost a full time job unfortunately.
Activity: 112
Why are payments today way low from what the Avg Stated?

For my 2 payments for May 03, I received right at 0.0025185 per 1 MH's    HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh 

growing mining pressure on scrypt could be important to consider.

ummmm  Sorry but that is not it...   Then the WP stats should reflect this....

Could be a ton of different factors.  One thing to consider, is theres about a 12hr delay in payouts.  What we show for earnings today, will realistically not be paid out until 24hrs later (~8-12hrs for coins to confirm, time for transfer to exchanges, exchanging, time to transfer back, and ~12hrs for payouts).

It is also extremely possible to have happen based on variance.  I don't know the speed of your miner in particular, but if you randomly got unlucky (share wise) on certain hours where the pool got lucky (block wise), you'd be getting paid less during that time, and if you happened to get lucky (share wise) when the pool was unlucky (block wise) you'd be getting paid less then.  PPLNS tries to mitigate some of this, but everyone will still have periods of (un)luckiness.

I miss that one WP site that use to give REALLY good Hash Rate History..   Are there any other WP stats sites that do this?

Activity: 322
Merit: 254

For my 2 payments for May 03, I received right at 0.0025185 per 1 MH's    HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh 

Could be a ton of different factors.  One thing to consider, is theres about a 12hr delay in payouts.  What we show for earnings today, will realistically not be paid out until 24hrs later (~8-12hrs for coins to confirm, time for transfer to exchanges, exchanging, time to transfer back, and ~12hrs for payouts).

It is also extremely possible to have happen based on variance.  I don't know the speed of your miner in particular, but if you randomly got unlucky (share wise) on certain hours where the pool got lucky (block wise), you'd be getting paid less during that time, and if you happened to get lucky (share wise) when the pool was unlucky (block wise) you'd be getting paid less then.  PPLNS tries to mitigate some of this, but everyone will still have periods of (un)luckiness.

Will it be possible to switch to most profitable algorithm when -n, Jane, x11, etc are more profitable?  Is it possible for a pool to do this and still keep the easy exchange to btc like there is now? So uhh I guess what asking is can there be an algorithm switching pool to be most profitable?

There is code in SGMiner to switch between Scrypt/Scrypt-N (more specifically, code to hot-swap N values/kernels).  It is reasonably untested (we haven't done much with it yet).  The others are almost definitely a flat "no".
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1031
Will it be possible to switch to most profitable algorithm when -n, Jane, x11, etc are more profitable?  Is it possible for a pool to do this and still keep the easy exchange to btc like there is now? So uhh I guess what asking is can there be an algorithm switching pool to be most profitable?
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1031

legendary
Activity: 994
Merit: 1000
I tried many pools now but hands down, this one is one of the best (if not the best ,really good numbers using stratum+tcp://eu.wafflepool.com:3333, Gridseeds @850MHZ,hashra and i´m from europe also.

Nice Android Apps (like WafflePool Monitor)
PoolWaffle,

I've noticed the fluctuation of the profitability as the day moves on and would like to know whether or not logs are being taken to determine whether or not the switching algorithm can be improved.

Because let's face it, the main reason you're at the top is because you are more on-target and hands on than any other multipool owner I know.

I just want to know if the algorithm can be improved to increase profitability. Do you have a Beta Testing Pool?

-DM

I keep tweaking the switcher algorithm reasonably often (every few days normally).  And while I'm sure there are still improvements to be found, I feel like we're pretty close to optimal as it is.

What do you mean by: "I've noticed the fluctuation of the profitability as the day moves on"?
Activity: 78
PoolWaffle,

-DM
Minor question for PW when he has a second..

When looking at my Hash Rate on the WP site it states (15min approximated)

But if I hit refresh over and over my hash rate sill bounces all around..

So what does (15min approximated) Mean exactly?

Thanks!

Its our approximation of your hashrate over 15min Smiley

Your local miner knows exactly what rate you're hashing at.  However, we only see when you find a share over 512 (this is the only time you send us data).  So we can only estimate based on how often we see a 512 share.  That means that if you get really lucky, and find 2 in quick succession, or go a longer time than normal without finding one (both of these are extremely common), we can't tell if it was you just getting lucky, or if you're a big/small miner.  So we average out how many 512 shares we see over 15min, and use that to guess your mining speed.

This is called variance (sort of), go read more about variance Smiley

Thanks..  I learned something new..  Smiley

Thanks!

Its our approximation of your hashrate over 15min Smiley

Your local miner knows exactly what rate you're hashing at.  However, we only see when you find a share over 512 (this is the only time you send us data).  So we can only estimate based on how often we see a 512 share.  That means that if you get really lucky, and find 2 in quick succession, or go a longer time than normal without finding one (both of these are extremely common), we can't tell if it was you just getting lucky, or if you're a big/small miner.  So we average out how many 512 shares we see over 15min, and use that to guess your mining speed.

This is called variance (sort of), go read more about variance Smiley

Thanks!
Quick update guys.

We've got a ton of stuff in the pipeline, hopefully finishing up in the next week or so, however none of it is small changes, so while it looks like nothing is happening, thats actually a really good thing, because it means I haven't broken anything miserably.

Things I'm actively working on
- Expanding clusters in USW and SEA, both are getting a little close to capacity, both will be roughly doubled, possibly slightly more.  They're syncing blockchains now, and will be up later today (hopefully).
- Alternative payout currencies.  This is unfortunately a huge change, and deals with payouts, so I'm trying to be as careful as possible, this probably has another week or so to go, but is coming along at least a bit Smiley
- More algorithms for switching, X11, Scrypt-n, etc.  These aren't as difficult of a change, they're just something that will need careful planning for the updates (have to update some very large database tables), as well as some sizable changes to our stratum endpoints (this is less risky/problematic, since I can pull a server out of a cluster, upgrade it, and put it back in, repeat).

Thats all I've got for now, just wanted to give you guys an update on whats planned, and whats being worked on, and where WP is going over the next few weeks Smiley

If you're looking at alternative payouts, does that mean you'll have to make an account system? Could you make sure there are still account-less options?

If people have to make accounts, you'll need some serious support (or 24 hr sleep deprivation for the first day or so)

If you're looking for helpful people, I'm available Tongue

The plan is to make everything non-account based.  To change something you'll need to copy/paste a string to sign from your wallet, and paste the signature back to WP.  Essentially, you'll sign a string like "doge=xxxxxxx, ltc=yyyyyyyy", and we'll confirm it was signed by your address, and save those settings Smiley

We'll obviously need to take some screenshots of how to sign a message (varies by client), but thats what we've got so far Smiley
Activity: 39
Merit: 0
All sounds great to me, keep up the good work!
Pages:
Jump to: