Author

Topic: [POT]PotCoin - Banking for the Legal Cannabis Industry ✦ ✦ ✦Grow With Us ✦ ✦ ✦ - page 144. (Read 920105 times)

legendary
Activity: 994
Merit: 1000
We need more wallets online staking so that we stop seeing the frequent 20+ minute blocks.

Both bittrex and cryptsy both have their POT wallet in maintenance

...because they're staking our coins for us. How generous!

Uh... NO. They aren't, if they were we would see the coins being staked on the chain, we aren't seeing that.

Also for those not clear on it, staking is a NO NO for exchanges for one big reason, security. They can't help staking when they bring wallets online to move funds from cold->hot, but in general, exchanges don't stake because they keep most of their coins in cold storage.
Activity: 122
Merit: 10
We need more wallets online staking so that we stop seeing the frequent 20+ minute blocks.

Both bittrex and cryptsy both have their POT wallet in maintenance. I got coins on both place waiting to be sent to my wallet for more staking. Once they get their wallets working I bet there will be more wallets staking since coins are tied up on the exchanges and can not be moved yet.

Lets hope so. I will be creating a few addresses and feeding them a small amount of coins to do what I can to even out the block times, at least until the devs address it or enough wallets are actively staking to smooth things out.

To give people an idea of why and what we are seeing. In the past 23.5 hours we have seen 529 blocks, roughly 1/4th of what we should be seeing.
Averages being what they are, it is possible and likely that once enough wallets come online we will start seeing a TON of sub 40s blocks to make up for the longer than normal blocks.

To sum something up, its not the amount of coins total that are active, its the total # of blocks vying to stake and mint a block. The wallets have been combining coins into larger blocks so we don't have enough blocks of coins to stake an avg of 1 block every 40s.

Soooo, and since the staking power wont be the same as the old POW hashrate, how long would it take for the network difficulty to come even with the many less open/staking wallets?
Activity: 56
Merit: 0

Both bittrex and cryptsy both have their POT wallet in maintenance

...because they're staking our coins for us. How generous!
legendary

Both bittrex and cryptsy both have their POT wallet in maintenance. I got coins on both place waiting to be sent to my wallet for more staking. Once they get their wallets working I bet there will be more wallets staking since coins are tied up on the exchanges and can not be moved yet.

Lets hope so. I will be creating a few addresses and feeding them a small amount of coins to do what I can to even out the block times, at least until the devs address it or enough wallets are actively staking to smooth things out.

To give people an idea of why and what we are seeing. In the past 23.5 hours we have seen 529 blocks, roughly 1/4th of what we should be seeing.
Averages being what they are, it is possible and likely that once enough wallets come online we will start seeing a TON of sub 40s blocks to make up for the longer than normal blocks.

To sum something up, its not the amount of coins total that are active, its the total # of blocks vying to stake and mint a block. The wallets have been combining coins into larger blocks so we don't have enough blocks of coins to stake an avg of 1 block every 40s.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1022

legendary
Is there a way of seeing the total # of coins being staked? rather than a weight value?

do you mean over the whole network? I think theres something like that on cryptopia (or some other block explorer)

The whole network ya. ... I'm just assuming if 100,000,000 total coins are staking and someone has 1,000,000 in a wallet, they should get 1% +/- of the total?

I just figured if I could see the total coins vs my own I could figure on a specific staking % thats all.

There is a small piece of math you will need to figure your expected rate. I am 99.999% certain that POSv2.0 splits the 5% of the total money supply among the actively staking coins, I am tracking the supply so that I can see if it is indeed growing by that 5% or not. If it is set to split the stake rate like I think it is then the fewer coins actively staking, the higher the individuals stake rate.

You can also throw together a spreadsheet and track your starting balance and the current balance, then do a little math to calculate an average daily return both in pot and % wise. This will also help you figure out what your avg apr is. We will unfortunately see some slower returns until the network gets up to speed. We need more wallets online staking so that we stop seeing the frequent 20+ minute blocks.
Activity: 241
Merit: 101
Is there a way of seeing the total # of coins being staked? rather than a weight value?

do you mean over the whole network? I think theres something like that on cryptopia (or some other block explorer)

The whole network ya. ... I'm just assuming if 100,000,000 total coins are staking and someone has 1,000,000 in a wallet, they should get 1% +/- of the total?

I just figured if I could see the total coins vs my own I could figure on a specific staking % thats all.
legendary
Activity: 1190
Kaspa

legendary

Per staking block, not that I am aware of. All you have is the staked coins on the overview page.
legendary
Thanks! r u like a crypto ninja?

Only when I am not fighting pirates to train for the zombie apocalypse.

Seriously, I am a geek who has been into crypto for years and runs a few crypto based assets. I know my way around crypto from experience more than anything else.
legendary
lets say I have 1,000,000 pot... It moves from balance to Stake and is staking. At some point the green stake button turns off and says, not staking because you don't have mature coins. I get the coins it generated needs to be confirmed.. But what about the original 1,000,000 still in stake, why can't it stake those still? just trying to figure it our bros. Thanks!

When you stake, you are essentially destroying the coins put up as stake and generating fresh coins in the block you mint. Those new coins + your stake interest need to have a certain # of confirmations before they are spendable, this is needed for network security, same as mining any POW coin. In short, say you earn 5pot for staking that 1mill coins, you are destroying that 1million and generating a new block that contains an output of 1,000,005coins. You don't have that 1million anymore, you have a block of 1.000,005 coins.

The coins also need to be at least 8 hours old, assuming 40s/blocks avg, before they are eligible to be put up for stake again.

Hopefully I have been helpful here, let me know if I need to clarify anything.
lets say I have 1,000,000 pot... It moves from balance to Stake and is staking. At some point the green stake button turns off and says, not staking because you don't have mature coins. I get the coins it generated needs to be confirmed.. But what about the original 1,000,000 still in stake, why can't it stake those still? just trying to figure it our bros. Thanks!
legendary
Is 8.7.1 good to stake or do I NEED to update to 8.7.2?

Thanks.

You must be updated to 0.8.7.2.

The update can be download here: http://www.potcoin.com/wallets/

It's a simple re-install. Please backup your wallet just in case.

I have something that you folks need to look into.
You need to address the combine and split threshold in the code. RDD had it set to 1.5-2million I think, That is way too large of a block for a coin with 200million in circulation.
I would think that changing it to 1/100th of whatever is in the code would be a good start, until you guys can look into doing the math to optimize it for pot.
legendary
Should staking take up 400MB of RAM? None of my other POS coins do and I thought POSv was supposed to be better?
Anyone else having the same issue? I mean I have 8GB of RAM to spare but that's a hog.

The resources needed is dependent on the amount of individual blocks of coins. Turn on coin control if you want to see how many chunks your wallet is currently dealing with.
The good news is that as you stake, the wallet will combine those blocks and your resource usage will drop over time.
legendary
Activity: 1270
legendary
Activity: 1100
Merit: 1032
Here's a weird one...this address/wallet only has around 86,310.49975752 POT but shows 124,877.65794073 POT?!

I tried -resync and -salvagewallet but nothing changes.

https://chainz.cryptoid.info/pot/address.dws?PSbEfgz1EVA5z2mNwwbiTftgPBzFjhY6p5.htm

Check https://chainz.cryptoid.info/faq.dws first question/answer Smiley

<<
A wallet can have multiple addresses, and you can have so-called "change addresses" (see https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Change) which will be generated automatically whenever you spend less than you have.
Those "change addresses" are part of the Bitcoin (and alt-coins) anonymity features, are known only to your wallet and can hold more than small change.
They are not displayed in the usual wallet UI, but you can typically view them by going to the debug console and typing "listunspent".

Our explorers can sometime guess those addresses, but not all the time, and only ofter after the fact. When that happens an address will be aggregated in a "guesstimated wallet".
>>
legendary
Activity: 1270
Here's a weird one...this address/wallet only has around 86,310.49975752 POT but shows 124,877.65794073 POT?!

I tried -resync and -salvagewallet but nothing changes.

https://chainz.cryptoid.info/pot/address.dws?PSbEfgz1EVA5z2mNwwbiTftgPBzFjhY6p5.htm

Edit: CAUTION...I found that the wallet would no longer accept my passphrase after running -resync or -salvagewallet. Fortunately I backed up the wallet before I did -salvagewallet and -resync.

Am going to try a restore from an older backup to see if it fixes the higher amount.
Jump to: