Pages:
Author

Topic: Pre-order Bitcoin Magazine - Quality control, final revisions on proofs - page 34. (Read 93728 times)

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh

Captured, tortured and shot by the CIA when he showed up in North Korea. Bitcoin is bad, right?

Grin
Activity: 331
Earthling
This is just sad if it's true :/

I was really looking forward to a Bitcoin Magazine.

So was Barnes & Noble!

Who?
legendary

So was Barnes & Noble!
Activity: 331
Earthling

donator
Activity: 798
Merit: 500
he must be on a cocaine and hooker binge with Zhou Tong.  both guys have been MIA for a few days now.

Well maybe this didn't go as planned and we should ask Zhou for the details since he's back now  Tongue
Activity: 774
Look ARROUND!

It's almost like you'd benefit from some regulation and oversight to prevent scams.  Crazy idea, I know.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Jeez , everybody here is completely paranoid. The guy is "missing" for a few days and you
are about to pickup the torches and pitchforks...  chill down.

Well more like...

guy in middle of an ambitious launch goes missing without notifying anyone, at the same time all websites go down, and all email goes unanswered.

Maybe it isn't a scam but:
"D&T stupidly simply rules for good business # 187:  There never is a good reason to disappear on investors."
legendary
Jeez , everybody here is completely paranoid. The guy is "missing" for a few days and you

Farfiman is wright! Let's wait a few more days before we draw any more conclusions.

I can't believe I saved my 3,333th post for this.

~Bruno~
Activity: 667
im not saying its a scam, but i paid for work a month ago that i never got... even if its not a scam im demanding a refund...

What did ya pay for Goat?
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata

+1  Cool
legendary
Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
From earlier in the thread:

*Putting my paranoid hat on*

What if this is all a big nothing, conspired by Matthew to steal all our coins?  He gets BTC from advertisers, and from people pre-ordering the magazine.  It's fairly easy to make good-looking headlines and cover pages if one knows their way around photoshop.  It could be one very elaborate scam!

*Takes paranoid hat off*

BUT, I don't believe it is.  Just something interesting to think about, especially given the history of various Bitcoin entrepreneurs.

SgtSpike is right. We could easily be a scam trying to get mailing addresses and real names of bitcoiners. And even if we're not, the security of that confidential data is extremely important is it not? Now rather than put all this on my shoulders at this moment (usually Vladimir handles our security) I will say that if you are ordering through e-Mail, your e-mail is only seen by myself, Mihai Alisie, and Google documents servers. If you are ordering through Bit-pay, it is only seen by me and Tony of Bit-pay. That should be enough but I understand if a security and anonymity conscious community requires more from me. I am absolutely all ears on this one. Any advice?

Bbit (although surely jesting) is wrong. I am not going anywhere. I enjoy trolling low standards far too much to ever leave the world of Bitcoin. I also have shared my personal, banking, address, etc information with 50+ individuals in our organization, the Digital Commerce Advancement Organization (http://dcao.org). So if I ever did something stupid, Vladimir Marchenko, Ken Armitt, Zhou Tong, Arthur Britto, Roger Ver, Stefan Thomas, Charlie Shrem, Jay Shore, Erik Vorhees, Mihai Alisie, Nuri hodges, Slush, Steven Wagner, 40+ others would not only know where I live, but they'd know exactly how to hurt me the most.
So, who are these 50+ individuals with whom Matthew has shared his personal information?  Do any of them know the current status of Matthew and the magazine?

I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet, but if this was a scam, it was certainly the most elaborate and believable scam I've seen so far.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1010
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
I sent a e-mail about an ad.The next issue is fine if you are no longer accepting.

I would wait a bit before sending any btc... this guy took me for over 100 and i'v seen nothing in return.
I was suspicious one month ago when right after I gave him my email address I got a phishing email regarding mtgox. Maybe it was a coincidence.
That would've been a pretty stupid move, if he did that. It wouldn't be in line with setting up a convincing magazine scam*, so imo it's most likely a coincidence.

*I don't actually think it's a scam
Do you really think he can deliver a 100+ page color magazine (even with ads) delivered for $6 with a small run? Unless he has some financial backers with a lot of publication experience, it is a dubious prospect. When he was asked about that, he was evasive.

[edit] I don't think it was a scam so much as maybe biting off too much at once. If it was a scam, it wasn't more than a few thousand dollars.
Activity: 714
Merit: 504
^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.
I sent a e-mail about an ad.The next issue is fine if you are no longer accepting.

I would wait a bit before sending any btc... this guy took me for over 100 and i'v seen nothing in return.
I was suspicious one month ago when right after I gave him my email address I got a phishing email regarding mtgox. Maybe it was a coincidence.
That would've been a pretty stupid move, if he did that. It wouldn't be in line with setting up a convincing magazine scam*, so imo it's most likely a coincidence.

*I don't actually think it's a scam
Activity: 154
Merit: 102
Bitcoin!
I wonder if Roger at MemoryDealers knows anything-- he has the magazine listed for sale on his site.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Bitcoinmagazine.net and bittalk.tv are down, and Matthew is nowhere to be found!  Shocked

Crap.  Never been scammed before using Bitcoins this might be my first.
legendary
Bitcoinmagazine.net and bittalk.tv are down, and Matthew is nowhere to be found!  Shocked

*FLAIL-FLAIL-FLAIL!!!*

I paid for the mag 9 days ago, and was just wondering how to get the digital version Tongue

It's probably only down for maintenance. Remember, the site is still in Atlas's name. Rumor has it that he's on vacation--island hopping.

donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1010
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Pages:
Jump to: