Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 148. (Read 907212 times)

legendary
Activity: 981
Merit: 1005
No maps for these territories
So I was reading what Fred Wilson stated today

And I think that that’s probably going to be first big commercial opportunity in bitcoin, [...] to create secure systems.

What if Bitcoin will improve and boost the IT security in general and especially private people's security? What if better security overall will teach everyone how to secure their systems and in the same time it will help them to decentralize a bit from the governments? Bitcoin may give power to the people in a lot more ways than the financial system.

Liquid democracy via blockchain´s (something as 'votecoins') is only one of the alternative uses people are finding for the protocol. Sooner than later we will get all kind of different applications of the blockchain technology, beyond the use as currency.

http://bitcoinvox.com/article/737/bitcoin-can-take-democracy-to-the-next-level
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

And I think that that’s probably going to be first big commercial opportunity in bitcoin, [...] to create secure systems.

What if Bitcoin will improve and boost the IT security in general and especially private people's security? What if better security overall will teach everyone how to secure their systems and in the same time it will help them to decentralize a bit from the governments? Bitcoin may give power to the people in a lot more ways than the financial system.

At this point, there is no reason to read and discuss what all the professional newbies say and write int the newspapers. If someone wants to be informed, he will have to come to bitcointalk.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000
Want privacy? Use Monero!
i'll do 2:1 for 0.1 BTC that BTC goes above 5000 USD (so I get 0.2 BTC if it happens)

edit: this is significantly better for the bears than this bet, it seems: http://bitbet.us/bet/716/btc-worth-over-5000-before-2015/

edit2: offer valid for next 24h. if none takes it, i'll change to 3:1 Wink
legendary
Activity: 1105

I don't think 5000 USD/BTC is likely to occur in 2014. I'd be willing to bet €1000 against that.

The reason you will not get any takers on this bet is not because no one believes that 5000 is likely.  They simply believe that it would be better to invest 1000 at today's market price and sell at 5000.  Same exact risk with much higher possible return.

Of course you'll find takers, just not at 50/50; that would be completely stupid.
legendary
we will see 5000 this year
next year ATH at least 10000, probably higher (20000 - 50000)

I don't see how $5000 is possible, but I am not a betting man.

I don't think 5000 USD/BTC is likely to occur in 2014. I'd be willing to bet €1000 against that.

I don't think that you would find many takers at any reasonable odds.

I'd be willing to do 50:1, just because, but "real" (based on some random finding of historical vol, which is all I have to work with) odds seem to be around 125:1.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

The reason you will not get any takers on this bet is not because no one believes that 5000 is likely.  They simply believe that it would be better to invest 1000 at today's market price and sell at 5000.  Same exact risk with much higher possible return.

Or some of by holding BTC are betting that it will get to $5000 anyways.  No need to take any other gamble. Wink
Activity: 34
Merit: 1

legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331

I don't think that you would find many takers at any reasonable odds.
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

legendary

legendary
Activity: 1470
Want privacy? Use Monero!
legendary
Price prediction based on a dream: 18.000$ in 2016. Posted for future reference Cool

What model is this based on?
I would sell 10% at that point  Smiley

All you need to hit a right prediction is to make many of them at random. Then, once one hit, you point to it and say-aha!
This is the method that many economists are using or so it seems...
legendary
Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006
Price prediction based on a dream: 18.000$ in 2016. Posted for future reference Cool

Maybe Dec 2016
legendary

$18,000? This fits with my goal of $6,900 in 2015.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049
Activity: 707
Merit: 500
Lol at the comedy algorithm.
Well going back on top a bit, for these that do agree with that Microsoft chart and are making analogy to it saying we are about 5 years in on that graph... but really, how do you know? Like  the blockchain is compromised and everyone abandons BTC, or it gets superseded by a superior coin with better anonymous features... stuff like that. How are you guys so sure and calm sleeping millions of dollars (for these that do have a lot of BTC, not me... I can wait) while these could happen?

I'll try to answer. The blockchain is pretty much unhackable. It's been tried many times and on more than a few occasions all sorts of bo0th white hat and black hat hackers have tried. Nobody has so far succeeded. If quantum computers become a reality.. which is looking ever further away - this MAY change.

2nd. Because bitcoin is 'programmable' it can adopt a new feature if the Devs write it into the code.. and people adopt the new wallet.
Oh, and something called network effect.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Lol at the comedy algorithm.
Well going back on top a bit, for these that do agree with that Microsoft chart and are making analogy to it saying we are about 5 years in on that graph... but really, how do you know? Like  the blockchain is compromised and everyone abandons BTC, or it gets superseded by a superior coin with better anonymous features... stuff like that. How are you guys so sure and calm sleeping millions of dollars (for these that do have a lot of BTC, not me... I can wait) while these could happen?
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
I can define a unit called the wachtwoord which is 160 BTC. Right now 1 wachtwoord is already trading @ $100k USD (625*160). Capiche?

In this case one wachtwoord should come to the next Malla party, since the unit's worth is higher than the threshold BTC100! Smiley

Haha  Cheesy

Just so everyone's clear, I merely defined the wachtwoord to make a point to a guy that found it impossible to conceive any single unit could be worth 100k USD (and 160*625=100k). I didn't disclose anything about my holdings Wink
legendary
Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163
Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos
Already my favorite satircal troll of all time. This guy puts Proudhon to shame.

Sorry Proudhon.

but what if this IS PROUDHONS SOCKPUPPET??  Huh  Shocked  Grin
Jump to: