Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 206. (Read 907212 times)

legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
I am not sure what you are talking about. Surely, exchanging money between bank and brokerage or between bank and coinbase is NOT a "suspicious" activity.
I think that coinbase undergoes full KYC/AML vetting procedure (takes a month).

This depends on your country, bank and degree of fascism you are subject to. Here in Sweden, for example, the banks view "activity" as "suspicious" until you prove otherwise and doing so is not that easy.

I have a Norwegian neighbor who is in her 70s. She has saved up quite a lot of money during her long life. She tried moving some of her money from her Norwegian account to the local bank. They froze her account and demanded all kinds of statements. It was apparently not enough to show that she bought a big fancy house in the 1990s and sold it before moving to an apartment here mid 2000s. Where did she get the money for that house? By selling another house when she moved at that time. But the documents for that was not enough. No, where did she get the money for the house she had way back in the 1970s? And so on. She eventually gave up and closed her local bank accounts.

It does not matter if you made your money legally or not, all bank activity is now "suspicious".

Are you sure that you are not exaggerating anything here? Wouldn't that completely impede the capital movement, which is a large %% of economy?
If what you are writing is true, then i understand where Cyprus came from.
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
Now the problem is how to be able to invest when the coin is cheap.

No, forget about that. You told that you are already nearly fully invested. Keep the rest as a cushion.

Planning how practically to execute the sale of the bitcoins is also important. You cannot suddenly repatriate millions of dollars to your bank for example (the limit of "suspicious activity" may be much smaller such as $5k!).

I just posted a thread asking about this: I'm a very small owner of BTC, but when it is worth a lot I'll want to have some cash. What are the best countries to receive the money from exchanges?

Would withdrawing $1000 or so per day not be considered "suspicious activity" as well? I fear that even the smallest amount could be heavily taxed...

When Bitcoin is worth a lot, maybe you wont have to (want to) "cash out" any more? What do you think are the circumstances for Bitcoin to be worth say $100,000. I don't think it'd be sensible, maybe not even feasable, to exchange for cash since either everyone will accept BTC or noone will want any USD, or both.
Activity: 490
Merit: 500

No, forget about that. You told that you are already nearly fully invested. Keep the rest as a cushion.

Planning how practically to execute the sale of the bitcoins is also important. You cannot suddenly repatriate millions of dollars to your bank for example (the limit of "suspicious activity" may be much smaller such as $5k!).

I just posted a thread asking about this: I'm a very small owner of BTC, but when it is worth a lot I'll want to have some cash. What are the best countries to receive the money from exchanges?

Would withdrawing $1000 or so per day not be considered "suspicious activity" as well? I fear that even the smallest amount could be heavily taxed...
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331

I am not sure what you are talking about. Surely, exchanging money between bank and brokerage or between bank and coinbase is NOT a "suspicious" activity.
I think that coinbase undergoes full KYC/AML vetting procedure (takes a month).
donator
It's especially frustrating because I'm NEARLY fully invested in so I'd really like to get the best value for my last investment FOR ONCE. I know im reasoning short term, but I'm sure I could have done better.

My advice would be to wait for bitcoin to hit $100. Then you get a reasonable value for your last dollars.

Before choking, listen to the reasoning: Bitcoin is going to incredible heights.

I think I have just about lost all faith in BTC going to incredible heights. Seems like adoption has slowed & there are too many attempts to stifle it.

That's actually a good thing Wink
donator
It's especially frustrating because I'm NEARLY fully invested in so I'd really like to get the best value for my last investment FOR ONCE. I know im reasoning short term, but I'm sure I could have done better.

My advice would be to wait for bitcoin to hit $100. Then you get a reasonable value for your last dollars.

Before choking, listen to the reasoning: Bitcoin is going to incredible heights. If you go all-in now and the price goes down, or stays at this level for any longer time, you are tempted to sell at a loss. If it goes up, you are tempted to sell at least a part of your position way too early. If you wait until it hits $100 (which it doesn't), then your attitude is always that "I could have bought more coins, but didn't, so I have to hold on to the ones I have". That way you don't sell out too cheaply, and in the end make both more dollars and bitcoins.

And if it crashes hard, at least you still have some cash  Smiley

rpietila, I commend you for your mastery of managing ones own psychology.
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

You're here from this february young noobie

wait with calm  Grin

A little longer than February  Wink

Bitcoin is doing fine, it has been below long-term trend for months before and it will happen much more often, but it will eventually return to the trend and even overshoot before collapsing below trend again.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, it may take a few more months but we'll likely get close to 5 figures before the end of the year.
legendary
Activity: 981
Merit: 1005
No maps for these territories
We more people feeling like this, the sooner and bigger the breakthrought. C'mon pink, spread some more FUD Grin
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Oh I see what you mean, I joined this forum in Feb but I had BTC before that.

[/quote]

wait with calm  Grin
[/quote]

A little longer than February  Wink
Last night for the 1st time I began to doubt my investment. That doesn't mean, I'll sell - I definitely won't. I'll be cashing out either much, much higher than now, or not at all.
Activity: 353
Merit: 250

Before choking, listen to the reasoning: Bitcoin is going to incredible heights.

I think I have just about lost all faith in BTC going to incredible heights. Seems like adoption has slowed & there are too many attempts to stifle it.

wait with calm  Grin

Activity: 723
Merit: 503

Before choking, listen to the reasoning: Bitcoin is going to incredible heights. If you go all-in now and the price goes down, or stays at this level for any longer time, you are tempted to sell at a loss. If it goes up, you are tempted to sell at least a part of your position way too early. If you wait until it hits $100 (which it doesn't), then your attitude is always that "I could have bought more coins, but didn't, so I have to hold on to the ones I have". That way you don't sell out too cheaply, and in the end make both more dollars and bitcoins.

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. Now the problem is how to be able to invest when the coin is cheap. It seems I'm always late at the party! There are some flashcrash but they are very short. In 24h, there is a rebound. Do you guys leave money on an exchange all the time ? It seems the natural way to do it, but its also risky. Is there a rule you follow when you leave cash on an exchange ?
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
I put some money on an exchange the day bitcoin hits 360$ and i'm still waiting a window to buy.... I dont think I am the only one. Now thats its back at 450, I wish I had bought 5 days ago. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

What shall I do rpietila?

Depends on how many % of your liquid worth you already have invested in bitcoins. If you are already fully invested, it might not make sense to buy now because the downtrend may continue and you don't want to end up selling your coins at anywhere near these prices. So it's good to have some cash reserve.

But if you are moderately invested (<50% of total assets), and want to buy more, this is a good time. Although if you are investing long-term, you can as well wait for the breach of 500. It does not really matter because the selling price is so much higher. The important thing is to buy before the next big runup.

If we are talking about short-term only, I refuse to give any advice since I don't know your trading strategy.

Thank you so much for replying to me! It's indeed for a very long term investment but that doesn't mean im not trying to maximise the bitcoin i get from my fiat. I dont know if its because we are in a downtrade market but I feel like every trade I made so far could have been a better one. For instance, the lowest bitcoin I had was at 450. And when it was at 430 I didnt buy in ! I think that was a silly move. I'm gonna make it sure to always take advantage to get a cheaper btcoin next time. Now its at 450 again and I feel like an idiot because I'm sure I'm not the only one who put money on the exchange while BTC hit 360. There are many of us who are impatient to buy in. We've all waited bitcoin to dip the last 10 days but it didnt.

It is incredibly hard to time the lows perfectly.  Just try to have the "big picture" in view when investing in Bitcoin.  There have been many times where I could have purchase lower and wish I had but after the next big run-up in price it won't really matter if you got coins for $360 or for $450 when the price is $5000.  You will just be glad you got them or held them. Wink  But the thing that gets most people is the thinking I could have gotten more if I had purchased or traded at the right time.  It is not as easy as it sounds or everyone would be doing it. Wink

Activity: 723
Merit: 503
I put some money on an exchange the day bitcoin hits 360$ and i'm still waiting a window to buy.... I dont think I am the only one. Now thats its back at 450, I wish I had bought 5 days ago. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

What shall I do rpietila?

Depends on how many % of your liquid worth you already have invested in bitcoins. If you are already fully invested, it might not make sense to buy now because the downtrend may continue and you don't want to end up selling your coins at anywhere near these prices. So it's good to have some cash reserve.

But if you are moderately invested (<50% of total assets), and want to buy more, this is a good time. Although if you are investing long-term, you can as well wait for the breach of 500. It does not really matter because the selling price is so much higher. The important thing is to buy before the next big runup.

If we are talking about short-term only, I refuse to give any advice since I don't know your trading strategy.

Thank you so much for replying to me! It's indeed for a very long term investment but that doesn't mean im not trying to maximise the bitcoin i get from my fiat. I dont know if its because we are in a downtrade market but I feel like every trade I made so far could have been a better one. For instance, the lowest bitcoin I had was at 450. And when it was at 430 I didnt buy in ! I think that was a silly move. I'm gonna make it sure to always take advantage to get a cheaper btcoin next time. Now its at 450 again and I feel like an idiot because I'm sure I'm not the only one who put money on the exchange while BTC hit 360. There are many of us who are impatient to buy in. We've all waited bitcoin to dip the last 10 days but it didnt.

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
Where is BTC most likely going the coming week? A dip again or should we reach $500? Any prediction of this?
Maybe a hard/impossible question to answer but I would like to hear your prediction anyway.
Forever @450$
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Price wouldn't go anywhere  Wink
Jump to: