Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 210. (Read 907212 times)

Activity: 236
Merit: 100
The exchange rate is fundamentally driven by emotion at this time.  It's going to take some seriously positive news to break out of this decline.  In my humble opinion the exchange rate could dip to $100-200/BTC at which level either the true believers support it or Bitcoin slides into a long term niche position.  If the core erodes then there's no one left to champion it.  Crossing the chasm into the early majority is not easy/given.  A cohesive and well-executed marketing campaign is the best way to get us there.

Marketing is the absolutely last thing bitcoin needs. 

Who is going to look at a market that is almost entirely speculation, and say "you know what this needs?  MORE HYPE!"

Bitcoin is so far behind where people expect it to get to, there's no need for it to get further behind by raising more people's expectations.

I believe bitcoin will eventually deliver, but with things like Trezor being delayed indefinitely, it's not going to happen tomorrow.
Activity: 709
Merit: 503
The exchange rate is fundamentally driven by emotion at this time.  It's going to take some seriously positive news to break out of this decline.  In my humble opinion the exchange rate could dip to $100-200/BTC at which level either the true believers support it or Bitcoin slides into a long term niche position.  If the core erodes then there's no one left to champion it.  Crossing the chasm into the early majority is not easy/given.  A cohesive and well-executed marketing campaign is the best way to get us there.
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
Quick TA update (at $0.481):
- 6H candle color/volume: not much volume during this week, conclusion: none/(historically: bearish)
- Bid/ask strengh at market (Bitstamp): slippage to sell 5k: $0.040, slippage to buy: $0.043, conclusion: both sides have built up since last time
- Trendline comparison: we are now at -0.355 log units. The trendline is at $1.090 and rising $0.008 per day, conclusion: rock bottom (note: it is not necessary that 'rock bottom' will change until the parabolic uptrend starts, because the trendline is itself rising)
- Sentiment: n/a
- Prognosis: shortest term unsecure, mid-term not sure if reversal seems confirmed, long-term buy zone

Quick TA update (at $0.460):
- 6H candle color/volume: red candles are taller, conclusion: bearish
- Bid/ask strengh at market (Bitstamp): slippage to sell 5k: $0.040, slippage to buy: $0.056, conclusion: easier to move to the upside
- Trendline comparison: we are now at -0.365 log units. The trendline is at $1.060 and rising $0.007 per day, conclusion: rock bottom (the 12-month range of the trendline is -0.404...+0.518)
- Sentiment: fearish, bearish, conclusion: less downside than generally feared
- Prognosis: shortest term don't know, mid-term not sure if reversal seems confirmed, long-term buy zone

ADD: If sentiment is bearish, it indicated that the price will surprise to the upside, and vice versa.

Quick TA update (at $0.450):
- 6H candle color/volume: GREEN rules for last 5 days, although short, conclusion: slightly bullish
- Bid/ask strengh at market (Bitstamp): slippage to sell 5k: $0.037, slippage to buy: $0.049, conclusion: pressure to the downside, surprise to the upside (when one side has lower figure than the other, it means that price has moved to that direction, eroding the bids/asks - if there is a reversal, it can move quickly to the other side with less resistance)
- Trendline comparison: we are now at -0.384 log units. The trendline is at $1.090 and rising $0.008 per day, conclusion: rock bottom (the 12-month range of the trendline is -0.404...+0.518)
- Sentiment: weak
- Prognosis: shortest term don't know, mid-term not sure if reversal seems confirmed, long-term (3+ months) buy zone

Quick TA update (at $0.429):
- 6H candle color/volume: very little volume for last few days, conclusion: historically bearish
- Bid/ask strengh at market (Bitstamp): slippage to sell 5k: $0.029, slippage to buy: $0.045, conclusion: pressure to the downside, surprise to the upside (when one side has lower figure than the other, it means that price has moved to that direction, eroding the bids/asks - if there is a reversal, it can move quickly to the other side with less resistance)
- Trendline comparison: we are now at -0.420 log units. The trendline is at $1.128 and rising $0.008 per day, conclusion: rock bottom (the 12-month range of the trendline is -0.420...+0.518)
- Sentiment: n/a
- Prognosis: short term risk for downside, mid-term we are still in a downtrend, long-term (3+ months) strong buy zone
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
Everything is in price.. A market with sufficient liquidity will be equally efficient to factor in news.. unless its a surprise which even the manipulators dont know about. So a good trader will tell you price is everything.. it tells you a story associated with events. Its ez to get it right most of time with little practice but the art of taking hits and knowing when to quit on a trade is tied to your emotional "stableness" that only a few can achieve over long term.. most dont even know it exists and quit without understanding why other than dwindling balance.

Ah, the good old 'Efficient Market Hypothesis' - written by an academic,  never subjected to scientific scrutiny, criticised from the beginning by economists and now widely discredited.

Cheers,

Ever heard of Kinder Morgan Energy Partners L.P. (NYSE: KMP) and Kinder Morgan Kinder Morgan Management LLC (NYSE: KMR)? Both represent minority shares in the exact same partnership (with equal weiging) but KMP distributes the dividends in cash and KMR in shares. So, logic dictates that for US taxes holding KMR shares is more tax efficient. Yet KMR has traded at a substantial discount to KMP for a long time (4.5% right now).

The market is inefficient. Deal with it Wink
Activity: 116
Merit: 10
Everything is in price.. A market with sufficient liquidity will be equally efficient to factor in news.. unless its a surprise which even the manipulators dont know about. So a good trader will tell you price is everything.. it tells you a story associated with events. Its ez to get it right most of time with little practice but the art of taking hits and knowing when to quit on a trade is tied to your emotional "stableness" that only a few can achieve over long term.. most dont even know it exists and quit without understanding why other than dwindling balance.

Ah, the good old 'Efficient Market Hypothesis' - written by an academic,  never subjected to scientific scrutiny, criticised from the beginning by economists and now widely discredited.

Cheers,
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

Usually TA is all abut phsycology and nothing else...

lol usually? Isn't that the entire thesis? Analyzing an manipulating herd behavior with self-fulfilling prophecies?

TA and psychology are quite seperate, unless you are talking about EW analysis which looks beyond the chart. Technical analysis only looks to the chart, and it's not practical to tell psychology from a chart alone.

.. although herd psychology is certainly key. forget the fundamentals, if you can separate yourself from the crowd, you will make money.

Yes, the "charts" are caused by massive herds of people who are "recognizing" patterns they read in a book. These patterns are there in the first place because of people looking for these patterns they read in a book, "recognizing them", trading accordingly and by doing so cause the patterns to begin with.

markets are not made to be speculative tools, most of the money moving on the market comes from commercial demand, representing fundamentals. In my experience, speculators generally dont agree on the patterns. There is always an ample supply of speculators to somehow sell into support, and buy into resistance. the patterns we see on the market are mostly caused by unaware speculators, foolishly trying to follow the "news" and such.

With such inflated money supply aggregated within top few speculation trading firms it makes sense for me to say that ta and phsycology has become the same thing. Commercial demand is not the leading driver as it once was. This was evidence with the fear driven speculative plays during 2008. Depends on your tf.. zoom out and ta becomes less relevant to speculation and more relevant to fundamentals for key drivers in a market. For our purpose ta usually makes sense in a speculative perception as we are talking about trading here and thus sub weekly tf...

To further drive home my point if you are a commercial producer and wish to hedge your supply on the futures market speculators make most the market. Funny thing is if you wish to buy these contracts it is assumedthey are not for delivery.. but for selling at close. Thus you have to specifically notify the house that you wish to take delivery and use the market as it was itended for but only 1% of the volume is actually doing such things.

legendary

lol usually? Isn't that the entire thesis? Analyzing an manipulating herd behavior with self-fulfilling prophecies?

TA and psychology are quite seperate, unless you are talking about EW analysis which looks beyond the chart. Technical analysis only looks to the chart, and it's not practical to tell psychology from a chart alone.

.. although herd psychology is certainly key. forget the fundamentals, if you can separate yourself from the crowd, you will make money.

Yes, the "charts" are caused by massive herds of people who are "recognizing" patterns they read in a book. These patterns are there in the first place because of people looking for these patterns they read in a book, "recognizing them", trading accordingly and by doing so cause the patterns to begin with.

markets are not made to be speculative tools, most of the money moving on the market comes from commercial demand, representing fundamentals. In my experience, speculators generally dont agree on the patterns. There is always an ample supply of speculators to somehow sell into support, and buy into resistance. the patterns we see on the market are mostly caused by unaware speculators, foolishly trying to follow the "news" and such.

In aggregate they do agree on the patterns Wink
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

legendary

legendary
Activity: 924

legendary

legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005
Ta is good at predicting the way things move under opposing forces and analyzing the raw data of supply and demand. I can sit here and try to predict how a fundamental should affect the price, when a fundamental will affect the price, and how much of the price is due to fundamentals, but I will likely be way off, and trading just the price will be much more effective.

Usually TA is all abut phsycology and nothing else... formations you see that you associate with certain outcomes are based on mass perception as a result of fear and greed. Since humans react the same way repeatedly these can be profitable if you spend time studyinh with a plan to attack. As always you can be right 51% of the time and become successful but most people struggle to find themselves thus give up trading. Those who learn to cut losses and move on will utimately succeed in any TA/FA analysis... the rest are buy/holders who believe in long term prospects.
Activity: 614
Merit: 500
Ta is good at predicting the way things move under opposing forces and analyzing the raw data of supply and demand. I can sit here and try to predict how a fundamental should affect the price, when a fundamental will affect the price, and how much of the price is due to fundamentals, but I will likely be way off, and trading just the price will be much more effective.

In addition, probably because it is such a new, small and free market, bitcoin acts very predictably once you recognize the patterns. Unlike the dow, where you are trading against high velocity trading bots, market makers and unseen forces creating supply and demand, with bitcoin, you can actually study it enough to see how it acts.

It almost acts often like all the traders are in agreement - that is how predictable it is compared to other markets.

I have started to observe it daily only since January this year, but so far I am surprised how repetitive this market seems to be. On the other hand, I am still afraid to trust this pattern completely, it can lull us into a false security, and then it can suddenly break, for whatever reason Sad

Exactly. And then you try to be patient and wait for the price to come back down and it doesn't.. then finally at $600 you capitulate and buy which happens to be the top Smiley
Activity: 336

In addition, probably because it is such a new, small and free market, bitcoin acts very predictably once you recognize the patterns. Unlike the dow, where you are trading against high velocity trading bots, market makers and unseen forces creating supply and demand, with bitcoin, you can actually study it enough to see how it acts.

It almost acts often like all the traders are in agreement - that is how predictable it is compared to other markets.

I have started to observe it daily only since January this year, but so far I am surprised how repetitive this market seems to be. On the other hand, I am still afraid to trust this pattern completely, it can lull us into a false security, and then it can suddenly break, for whatever reason Sad
Activity: 235
I was promised da moon
[quote author=TERA link=topic=400235.msg6517762#msg6517762
Most of my posts are about short term trading, and take note of the condition I mentioned "if the trend were to continue" - meanwhile I didn't say anything about whether or how long the trend would continue.
[/quote]

You are my favourite bear because you are a short term bear. That's what makes a bear a plushy teddy Wink
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

Activity: 728
Activity: 784
I have not studied TA in any depth so forgive me if this comes across as a naive question. My understanding of technical analysis is that it assumes that prices already reflect all the underlying fundamental factors. If you believe in the concept that Risto put forth a week or two ago in this thread of the profound asymmetry of information between those who know about bitcoin enough to have invested, versus those who still don't know jack shit about bitcoin -- doesn't that imply that prices do not reflect the underlying fundamentals, making TA not so applicable?
Activity: 728
Hmmm, you edited your original post to sound less self-affirming about potential trend-line falsification.

Just as well, short term...flort...ferm...
Most of the time I edit my post about 5 times within 10 minutes of writing it to correct spelling errors or write additional points. I don't edit my posts later in response to a discussion.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Hmmm, you edited your original post to sound less self-affirming about potential trend-line falsification.

Just as well, short term...flort...ferm...
Jump to: