Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 291. (Read 907212 times)

legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

There could well be a disconnect from Metcalfe's Law beyond four more years. In say 8 more years, when the quantity of Bitcoin transactions exceed the current quantity of bank card transactions, I find the predicted bitcoin price value of 57 billion USD per bitcoin implausible.

Lol, I was doing the same math earlier today while jogging.  

I came to a similar conclusion: we may see up to ~4 more years of growth following Metcalfe's law, putting us at a Metcalfe Value near $50,000 / coin and near 1% market saturation.  At some point we must diverge from V~N2 growth, otherwise the price projections get ridiculous like you just pointed out.      
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000
This would make for a great academic paper!

I'm starting to think there is a lot of low-hanging fruit that would make interesting research papers.  We need to found J Bitcoin.  This forum is useful for brainstorming and vetting ideas, but I think a lot of good work gets lost and forgotten in the noise.  It would be useful to publish highly-polished peer-reviewed manuscripts in an archival format accessible to everyone.

Yeah, I've been pestering my academic colleagues in economics (I am myself a prof. of chemical engineering) to publish a paper that addresses something to do with Bitcoin... but they either laugh or take the idea seriously, but the serious ideas they will consider is how to prove that Bitcoin is a bubble Sad

*sigh*

As a chemical engineer, I am interested in potentially applying some of the rigorous powerplant optimization methodology to a large-scale Bitcoin mining operation and publish a paper on that.
Activity: 686
Merit: 501
Stephen Reed
This is showing more than exponential growth. It is showing that a 10X increase in market cap is correlated with a Sqrt(10)X increase in N, i.e., we are witnessing the economic realization of Metcalfe's Law.  For the last four years, a 316% increase in N has corresponded with a 1,000% increase in market cap.  

A simply stunning discovery and insight.

It seems quite plausible that bitcoin transaction growth will continue at this rate for at least a few more years as current payment transaction infrastructure is disrupted. For example, in three years time 3.2x annual transaction growth would be only 2 million Bitcoin transactions per day correlating to a bitcoin price 1000x higher than today. Two million daily bitcoin transactions is not much compared to the current 212 million daily Visa transactions.

There could well be a disconnect from Metcalfe's Law beyond four more years. In say 8 more years, when the quantity of Bitcoin transactions exceed the current quantity of bank card transactions, I find the predicted bitcoin price value of 57 billion USD per bitcoin implausible.

legendary

I'm starting to think there is a lot of low-hanging fruit that would make interesting research papers.  We need to found J Bitcoin.  This forum is useful for brainstorming and vetting ideas, but I think a lot of good work gets lost and forgotten in the noise.  It would be useful to publish highly-polished peer-reviewed manuscripts in an archival format accessible to everyone.
legendary
legendary
OK, I'm convinced!!!

Thanks for making the plot Peter!
legendary
I think it's relatively easy to find these seemingly insightful correlations among Bitcoin metrics... since the userbase is growing exponentially, pretty much everything about Bitcoin is increasing exponentially as well. Not saying this use of Metcalfe's law is a waste of time, just that it shouldn't be so surprising that it works so well.

This is showing more than exponential growth. It is showing that a 10X increase in market cap is correlated with a Sqrt(10)X increase in N, i.e., we are witnessing the economic realization of Metcalfe's Law.  For the last four years, a 316% increase in N has corresponded with a 1,000% increase in market cap.  

If you plot market cap vs N the fit is not nearly as good (see below).  The price diverges by an order of magnitude at both sides, where the Metcalfe model is fairly accurate over more than 4 decades of market cap growth!

legendary
I think it's relatively easy to find these seemingly insightful correlations among Bitcoin metrics... since the userbase is growing exponentially, pretty much everything about Bitcoin is increasing exponentially as well. Not saying this use of Metcalfe's law is a waste of time, just that it shouldn't be so surprising that it works so well.
legendary
just a small thing: I guess you need to multiply the price of a bitcoin with the number of coins.
The value of a network is the market cap, I suppose...

If you do that, I guess the large "spread" at the left side in the chart will become smaller.

Good idea dnaleor.  The fit between Metcalfe Value and market cap is better than the fit to bitcoin price for the early days.  It also seems like number of transactions per day (excluding popular addresses) fits the left side better than unique addresses used per day:

legendary
Activity: 1470
Want privacy? Use Monero!
Here is an improved graph of the bitcoin price history versus the Metcalfe value.  I am now using the price history from bitcoinaverage.com (giving me post-Gox prices as well), and I am using both the number of transactions per day (excluding popular addresses) and the number of unique bitcoin addresses used per day as the N in Metcalfe's Law : V ~ N2 .

I would like to do a proper regression to get a numerical model, but the blockchain.info charts currently have holes in the data (the large spikes visible on the curves) that render such a processes useless.  For the time being then, I've just eyeballed the fits as you see below.  

The current price of bitcoin is slightly higher than its Metcalfe value.  However, should the network continue to grow at its historical rate of 3.2X per year, the Metcalfe value should exceed the current bitcoin price later this spring.  

just a small thing: I guess you need to multiply the price of a bitcoin with the number of coins.
The value of a network is the market cap, I suppose...

If you do that, I guess the large "spread" at the left side in the chart will become smaller.
legendary
Here is an improved graph of the bitcoin price history versus the Metcalfe value.  I am now using the price history from bitcoinaverage.com (giving me post-Gox prices as well), and I am using both the number of transactions per day (excluding popular addresses) and the number of unique bitcoin addresses used per day as the N in Metcalfe's Law : V ~ N2 .

I would like to do a proper regression to get a numerical model, but the blockchain.info charts currently have holes in the data (the large spikes visible on the curves) that render such a processes useless.  For the time being then, I've just eyeballed the fits as you see below.  

The current price of bitcoin is slightly higher than its Metcalfe value.  However, should the network continue to grow at its historical rate of 3.2X per year, the Metcalfe value should exceed the current bitcoin price later this spring.  

legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1001
Why is it so hard to understand that fundamentals and TA are both significant?

so we know Bitcoin is fantatic, love it, great fundamentals. but have we been beaten to the scene? is it in a bubble? is there a large unknown seller in the market? what is the subjective value of a bitcoin? what is the rate of growth? those are questions that Fundamental analysis cannot answer easily on its own.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070
Right, TA is better than FA because bitcoin is a stock. Or a commodity. Or a stock. Or a commodity. Not a technology. Got it.

BTC is a currency. Bitcoin is a technology.

Charts show you what is going on regardless of what you trade, currency/commodity/stock/etc makes no difference.

What was your point again (if you have one)?

My point is obvious. Stocks and commodities do not grow exponentially.
So you think Bitcoin is the only thing in the world where you can draw straight lines on a log chart?

Nope. Not at all. But I do think that Bitcoin continues to surprise typical traders with its violent upswings.  Going down, it all seems to make sense to them. Bottoms and tops, not so much.
N12
donator
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010
Right, TA is better than FA because bitcoin is a stock. Or a commodity. Or a stock. Or a commodity. Not a technology. Got it.

Charts show you what is going on regardless of what you trade, currency/commodity/stock/etc makes no difference.

So you think Bitcoin is the only thing in the world where you can draw straight lines on a log chart?
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

legendary
Awesome chart that well illustrates your discovery. May I refer to it in my logistics model thread?

Thanks for the compliment!  I've been meaning to check this relationship out for months.  Only took me 15 min lol.  Yes, please feel free to use it however you like.  

Very nice charts, indeed, but they suggest current fair value of $70-300  Sad

The N log N chart suggests a low value, but the Metcalfe Value chart (N^2) would be near $500 now.  Also note this is MtGox price data and only includes data to February 5, 2014.  The Metcalfe value has been growing for another month and a half. 

I should do some nicer plots where I merge the MtGox (past) price with the BitStamp (current) price so that we can track the Metcalfe Value in real time.  I should also include the calendar date so that it is less confusing! 
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
Awesome chart that well illustrates your discovery. May I refer to it in my logistics model thread?

Thanks for the compliment!  I've been meaning to check this relationship out for months.  Only took me 15 min lol.  Yes, please feel free to use it however you like.  

Very nice charts, indeed, but they suggest current fair value of $70-300  Sad
Activity: 686
Merit: 501
Stephen Reed
....Last night bitcoin went up..... while the stock market went down.

Roll Eyes

There does appear to be a rally developing which can be clearly seen on the Huobi and Bitstamp one hour charts.  Support held at $550.

legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1001
....Last night bitcoin went up..... while the stock market went down.

Roll Eyes
Activity: 427
Merit: 250
I don't think that number of transaction depicts adoption rate. It is a boom of altcoins now and they are mostly traded with BTC. So there are lots of them moving back and forth inside and between the exchanges.

I'd like to repeat this analysis with more observable variables that could be proxies for the N in Metcalfe's Law.  I think number of bitcoin addresses used per day, and number of blockchain.info wallets are both decent proxies as well.    

In your opinion, what is the most accurate way to estimate N?

I'm not sure it exists. It should be something that is connected only to the amount of new fiat flowing into cryptocoins. And even that does not necessarily correlate with adoption rate.
Jump to: