Author

Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;) - page 287. (Read 907212 times)

donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
Just follow the exponential trendline. It is already like 900. By buying now it is very difficult to lose. Yes, I have spent countless of hours analysing it.

do you share this? - would probably be interested in this for interest/scientific purposes

Here.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
 Most every time the benefits of a new technology, properly applied, have benefited the average Joe sooner or later.

Count the qualifiers in that sentence Cheesy
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
Just follow the exponential trendline. It is already like 900. By buying now it is very difficult to lose. Yes, I have spent countless of hours analysing it.

do you share this? - would probably be interested in this for interest/scientific purposes
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
1. I generally disagree with this one. Never in the history of mankind has the average Joe won in mass, IMHO. Somehow I don't believe it will magically happen now that Bitcoin is around.

Bitcoin is a technology. Most every time the benefits of a new technology, properly applied, have benefited the average Joe sooner or later.

Risto said no more $500 coins ever.

If I can't trust his predictions who's can I trust?... Huh Angry

Hasn't hit 500.. yet. So technically he's still right (for how long I'm not sure)

Yes, just wait until I am proven wrong. Before that it is just confusing. And if it happens, then remember that all I said that it was slightly more than 50% chance that we will not see it again. It is like, I would just have been willing to wager 1:1 on it.

Currently I think (based on the crash) that it is more probable than not that it will be broken. I typically don't have any magical or insider info. I am a mathematician, statistician and economist.

legendary
Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006

1.  The Average Joe will win.  He will be jealous of his friend who had the foresight to purchase coins at $10,000 / BTC, but he will see that a transition to bitcoin represents a jubilee for his unmanageable debt load.

2.  The already rich will win.  They will retain ownership of the productive capital they already control.  The will also read the writing on the wall before average Joe and possibly amplify their financial assets too.  

3.  The already politically-powerful will win.  Why fight to destroy bitcoin when you can stealthily work to make it grow and increase your independent power and wealth?

4.  Established institutions like the IRS, Fed, NSA, IMF will lose.  However, many of the talented individuals currently working in such institutions will win by hastening their demise and exploiting their insider knowledge.  

1. I generally disagree with this one. Never in the history of mankind has the average Joe won in mass, IMHO. Somehow I don't believe it will magically happen now that Bitcoin is around.
2. I agree
3. I agree
4. I disagree, the IRS, Fed, and NSA are the world's super powers of today, not countries or presidents. Nothing short of a revolution will remove them from power and they represent the biggest threat to Bitcoin period.

legendary
Activity: 1578
Merit: 1000
May the coin be with you..

Hasn't hit 500.. yet. So technically he's still right (for how long I'm not sure)
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
Yeah! I hate ShroomsKit!

You can trust the omnipresent and trustworthy PBOC aka "People's Bank of China"  Cheesy
Activity: 798
Merit: 250
CurioInvest [IEO Live]

Activity: 518
Merit: 521
creekbore thanks for articulating what I would but can't at the moment.

Just want to add that I don't want you relegated to plant food. My intention is create a 3rd option, where we opt-out without needing the masses to opt-out. If we successfully opt out, then we prosper while their system dies, otherwise we die with it. I am working diligently on this technology, which is why I am lacking sleep. I believe there is a large and growing number of us who understand well enough. And once we are shown the light in detail, it will become much more clear.

Unfortunately I see Bitcoin is opting in because most users are and it doesn't have the technological mechanisms to allow partial opt-out.

I agree with everyone and Peter R that we are in an unstoppable movement, but what we need isn't yet on the market. Bitcoin isn't going to just magically reverse and become less centralized. It is already centralized. One pool just crossed the 50% threshold of the hash power. Actually due to selfish mining, one only needs 25% of the hash rate to take control. I added some links to my post on the prior page. Someone actually has to create the technology to make that centralization impossible. Just wishing it to be so won't accomplish anything.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Lazy, cynical and insolent since 1968
Which would you prefer, Creekbore?  #1 or #2.  

My preference is (sadly) irrelevant.
But for arguments sake #2 is clearly a utopian dream, #1 a rapidly coalescing nightmare.

Hopefully, I'll be plant food before #1 comes to pass. Smiley

legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007
Which would you prefer, Creekbore?  #1 or #2. 
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Lazy, cynical and insolent since 1968
We both think cryptocurrency is here to stay, for when has a useful technology ever been abandoned? 

We both agree that there are two "end states" for government in a high-technology word:

(1) a totalitarian one-world government with vast surveillance infrastructure and abusive control;

(2) a highly-decentralized world with small local self-governed communities interacting freely with other communities. 

You think (1) is more likely while I think (2) is.  AnonyMint, we are witnessing the beginnings of a social movement to break free from oppressive bureaucracy, regulation, and invasion of privacy.  We are choosing to "opt-out," we are choosing to decentralize.     

Except people are choosing to 'opt-in' -- they are embracing social media, posting details about themselves that would have been considered a totalitarian nightmare 20 years ago, willingly carrying what amounts to a personal tracking device with them everywhere they go (and paying for the service and hardware upgrades), nationalism is rising, defence spending rises as healthcare systems are allowed to fail...the list goes on.

Most of the believers in scenario (2) are from the demographic who will rule in scenario (1) -- that dream (2) is their panacea while (1) comes to pass.
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007
Peter R no offense please, but I think this post is illogical, but I can't articulate until after I get some sleep.

Here's my take AnonyMint:

We both think cryptocurrency is here to stay, for when has a useful technology ever been abandoned?  

We both agree that there are two "end states" for government in a high-technology word:

(1) a totalitarian one-world government with vast surveillance infrastructure and abusive control;

(2) a highly-decentralized world with small local self-governed communities interacting freely with other communities.  

You think (1) is more likely while I think (2) is.  AnonyMint, we are witnessing the beginnings of a social movement to break free from oppressive bureaucracy, regulation, and invasion of privacy.  We are choosing to "opt-out," we are choosing to decentralize. 
Peter R no offense please, but I think this post is illogical, but I can't articulate until after I get some sleep.

I will make what I consider to be pessimistic assumptions:  (1) No growth in GDP globally, ever.  (2) 5% chance of bitcoin evolving to replace fiat currency and gold.  (3) 20 year horizon for the replacement.  (4) 8% discounting rate, 5.5% USD inflation.  In that case there is a 5% chance that the net present value of a bitcoin spent 20 years from today is some number north of 500k.  On those assumptions, a fair present price for a single bitcoin would be at least 25k.  Bitcoin appears to be undervalued by a factor on ther order of 100x.

Since bitcoin is undervalued (for the reasons you point out), its price and user-base will continue to grow.  The probability that it succeeds increases with a growing user-base (all other variables held constant) such that your net present-value calculation remains greater than its present trading value.  The dynamics of bitcoin growth represent an unstable feedback system with only two equilibrium points: becoming the dominant global currency, becoming nothing at all.  

The only way I can imagine the bitcoin network would stop growing (over the long term) would be for it to become no longer useful.  It would be no longer useful if secp256k1/sha256 was quickly broken, if the network was constantly under relentless 51% and Sybil attacks, if efficient and coordinated government action made it extremely onerous to use, or if a much better idea came around.    

i also think you can wait quite a long time before the entire monetary system collapses and get replaced by anything. banksters and politics just wont let that happen. And if it happens, i'd be far less worry about BTC because of the chaos and madness it should generate.

I disagree.  

I think we could transition from fiat to bitcoin reasonably peacefully and quickly.  The important thing is that bitcoin can still facilitate the global trade required to provide a constant flow of goods and energy into the major cities (unlike a sudden transition to a gold standard).  As long as global trade doesn't quickly break down, reasonable social order will be maintained.  

Most people will benefit from the "collapse" and will work to make it happen.

1.  The Average Joe will win.  He will be jealous of his friend who had the foresight to purchase coins at $10,000 / BTC, but he will see that a transition to bitcoin represents a jubilee for his unmanageable debt load.

2.  The already rich will win.  They will retain ownership of the productive capital they already control.  The will also read the writing on the wall before average Joe and possibly amplify their financial assets too.  

3.  The already politically-powerful will win.  Why fight to destroy bitcoin when you can stealthily work to make it grow and increase your independent power and wealth?

4.  Established institutions like the IRS, Fed, NSA, IMF will lose.  However, many of the talented individuals currently working in such institutions will win by hastening their demise and exploiting their insider knowledge.  

5.  People reliant on government entitlement spending for lavish pensions will lose, but hopefully their kids were bitcoiners!

A few billionaires will be demoted to 100 millionaires, and a few (some from the forum no doubt) will take their place.  But otherwise, the social mobility will be a lot less than what people imagine.  

It's only money after all.  
I better sleep, I can't even read as I am slipping in and out of coherence.

To simplify...

I agree on potential of the crypto-currency ecosystem and I wrote recently I am grateful Bitcoin provided this large ecosystem. To bootstrap you produce something that people will virally clamor for.

I don't disagree with BTC as an investment for over "next year". I believe there is very good chance of Bitcoin going to $10,000. My concern is after that.

Bitcoin serves no need for the masses. What does it improve for them? Nothing.

Bitcoin is for us because we think it will end the corruption of fiat. But the reality is Bitcoin (itself, not the potential of the ecosystem) is already failing to do that, as it is highly centralized.

How is it easy to anonymize wealth? Please tell me so I can protect myself. I really want to hear this, because I thought I knew everything about this.

I have a post in the Dark Enlightenment thread where I listed Armstrong's record on predictions. It is quite amazing. He predicted the 87' crash to the day. He predicted 9/11. He predicted the recent fall in gold. Etc.. Any way, he hasn't said 2016 will be the most chaotic year. His model says Sept 2015 is when the USA peaks on this current bounce.

What if counter parties default on the LEAPs.

There won't be any hyperinflation. Zero chance. Never happened in the history of the world that the reserve currency hyperinflated. Rome had a brief hyperinflation of silver which is just a blip on the 500 year chart. Rome fell into deflation.

Agreed nothing will stop the coming confiscations. Doesn't that mean we really need anonymous money?

My brain is probably already severely damaged from neuropathy, lack of sleep, etc.. Thanks for the concern.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
Excuse my prose I haven't slept and am delirious .

You should be informed that there is a substantial body of evidence that inadequate sleep can result in permanent brain damage.
legendary
For something to be a currency then it needs to be accepted by many different types of merchants. A few dozens of merchants targeting us white males who are invested and want to spend using BTC to show support for our investment isn't necessarily going to the critical mass needed.

Do not despise small beginnings.  Exponential growth is generally considered respectable.  Nothing is really competitive with BTC for at least a year or two. You have to play the hand you are dealt, unless you can find a way to change the rules.

Hey I would be all in favor of a crypto-currency even if it had limited adoption. But to have utility to me, I would need to be confident that the government can't just shut it down at-will by regulating the exchanges. Otherwise what is the point?

Hence counterparty, ethereum, nxt, mastercoin, coinjoin, stealth payments, zerocoin.  Web of trust, local exchange, escrowed darknet exchanges are the historical approach, and remain viable.  A diversity of channels is a good thing.  It makes the story less suited to soundbites, but it is a form of defense in depth, with many failover scenarios. 

I have read some comments of yours which infer that you are working on a rigorously anonymous crypto which is strictly cpu-mined and has perhaps other interesting features.  If so, I'm curious how you intend to bootstrap it.  Some chain entanglement with other crypto, perhaps?

You all are rather betting big. You require that Bitcoin changes the world in 2 years. Your extrapolations are that severe.

On the 2016 SHTF schedule, is there any viable alternative to avoid confiscation?  I am skeptical.  It has already changed the world dramatically.  It hasn't changed any important macro forces yet, but the mere awareness of the technology is having subtle and pervasive effects.  It has changed the worlds of many individuals quite dramatically.  That impact will continue to radiate and infect.  What do you consider the requirements of usefulness? 
legendary
humans tend to discount ... low probability events rather more aggressively than is rational (Taleb).  
Actually what Taleb says is that risk is near impossible to predict and therefore should be more or less discounted.  Investments should be done via extremes or a "barbell" approach as he calls it, ultra-conservative and ultra-risky.  Bitcoin should fall in the ultra-risky category but make sure you have the other side of the barbell covered too  Wink

That is another aspect of his theses, yes.  My low-cost hedge for the non-hyperinflationary scenario is long Russell LEAP puts (qua rolling diagonal spreads) until 2024 when the P/Es should bottom out.  It wins unless the numeraire goes into the toilet.  The leverage gained is pretty large if you plan your strikes and rolls competently.
legendary
I wrote upthread that if Bitcoin doesn't morph into an offchain currency with all the conveniences provided for the masses, then it appears to be limited to the white male demographic. So that would limit the upside price to much less than the projections of $100,000+. If it morphs, then it can become those other things. Two scenarios.

I like scenario analysis, but rational valuation requires assigning probabilities.  We really should build a graphical model for this, and isolate factors systematically.  But it's a lot of work to do a proper job.  I'm adding it to my todo list. Also a good full-fledged game theoretical model for the players a la de Mesquita would be super useful.  And challenging in itself.  Without that kind of formalization systems this complex tend to get oversimplified, and surprises arise largely as a result.  I know I have made blunders based on a poor understanding of the dominating strategies of the FRB board, for example.

Number of participants and total value transferred are important.

Just want to point that how do we know if that isn't mostly investment flow in and out of speculation on BTC's price?  I don't consider that to be commerce, rather just the BTC speculation bubble itself.

Two points relevant to that issue:  

(1) It doesn't matter, on the naive assumption that the financial and non-financial transaction labels are conditionally independent:  The proportions remaining the same, the same rate of growth applies to each.  If you want to conditionalize, you're going to need more entropy to maximize.

(2) Comparable analyses of fiat currency gross product also include financial flows, which are even more dominant (as witness crumbling velocity of USD).  In general, it's not a problem unless the velocities of the units allocated to the sector labels are widely divergent.  (Another way of expressing at the conditional factor.)

I am very nearly in agreement with your SHTF timing.  I was contemplating ca. 12-2017 for a major fiat crisis.  I understand Armstrong's influence on your thinking leads you to a somewhat earlier, and more geographically incremental advent than I had contemplated.  I've not seen enough justification for Armstrong's material to assign it usable provenance/confidence intervals, so I have been under-motivated to investigate further.  I may need to reassess.

So far it remains relatively trivial to anonymize wealth, if you are aware of a few technical details.  Of course it can be a high-risk activity, so excruciating caution is always warranted. When it becomes technically difficult, it will do so gradually, since there are so many channels that would need to be rendered prohibitively costly to employ.
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
Bitcoins are for sale for less than 600.

It is truly amazing to me.  Consider:  While there are many unknowns and unforeseen eventualities, BTC is currently the only candidate for replacing the entire fiat monetary system.  There is no fundamental reason why it cannot do so, the opportunity to do so remains open, and the eventual replacement of that system by a successor technology is essentially inevitable, be it bitcoin or a modification of bitcoin, or a revolutionary expansion built upon bitcoin technology -- which would probably be most accessible via bitcoin in its initial stages in any case. 

I will make what I consider to be pessimistic assumptions:  (1) No growth in GDP globally, ever.  (2) 5% chance of bitcoin evolving to replace fiat currency and gold.  (3) 20 year horizon for the replacement.  (4) 8% discounting rate, 5.5% USD inflation.  In that case there is a 5% chance that the net present value of a bitcoin spent 20 years from today is some number north of 500k.  On those assumptions, a fair present price for a single bitcoin would be at least 25k.  Bitcoin appears to be undervalued by a factor on ther order of 100x.

But, humans tend to discount the future rather more aggressively than is rational (Areily), and to discount low probability events rather more aggressively than is rational (Taleb).  So it is not terribly surprising, in that case.

Actually what Taleb says is that risk is near impossible to predict and therefore should be more or less discounted.  Investments should be done via extremes or a "barbell" approach as he calls it, ultra-conservative and ultra-risky.  Bitcoin should fall in the ultra-risky category but make sure you have the other side of the barbell covered too  Wink
Jump to: