Pages:
Author

Topic: S-5 review. It has arrived some info is in! - page 8. (Read 19801 times)

legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
As always love the garage (ghetto) setup, just like mine.  You must have at least 3 different circuits in your garage though don't you?
I have a gable vent at the top of mine which I place a box fan blowing out and added some larger vents for intake, works great.
For sound control, other than fan mods, I considered building a sound baffle case out
of MDF and an itntake and exhaust fan, but maybe it's best open air while it's cold around 40f without anything running.
Waiting on taxes to purchase to try out. Can't wait another 3 weeks, eek. 

No years ago I wired my home. 

I lived in New Jersey  the home was built in 1970 during the Vietnam War the USA had a copper shortage and a few states allowed for Aluminum wiring.

BAD BAD BAD many house fires.  So  NJ came up with the law that if it is your home and you live in it you can diy your house wire.  Just pull a permit from your town and have the town inspect it.

So I went from 100 amp to 200 amp 20 circuits to 40 circuits.  I did everything but the actual box.  Saved a ton of money and ran lots of circuits to the garage.
My garage has 5x 20 amp circuits  for 120 volts wired with 10 awg wire. 

I can do  9000 watts  of power in the garage  safely.   It is too hot  for that even in the winter.

So I run 8 sp20's at 1200gh/600 watts = 4800 watts.
  If I were alone in the house I would have purchased the 15 unit farm and run 15 of these all around the house.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
As always love the garage (ghetto) setup, just like mine.  You must have at least 3 different circuits in your garage though don't you?
I have a gable vent at the top of mine which I place a box fan blowing out and added some larger vents for intake, works great.
For sound control, other than fan mods, I considered building a sound baffle case out
of MDF and an itntake and exhaust fan, but maybe it's best open air while it's cold around 40f without anything running.
Waiting on taxes to purchase to try out. Can't wait another 3 weeks, eek. 
legendary
AND  to be clear the stock fan pushing at about 3900 rpm  and the delta fan pull at about 3000 rpm is silly nut job loud.

I read 75-77db at 1 .1 meters.

But it allowed for an easy freq of 412  and hash of 1290-1300 with power of .52 watt per gh

Unfortunately though, optimum cooling efficiency usually comes with a price (loudness).  Also consider that a good part of that "loudness" is due to resonance created by turbulent air rushing through the restrictive/dense heat sink fins; and this is actually good.  It means that the fan is doing its job.

yeah it is true.  but this miner is pretty good if you have a place that hides the sound.  My freq 412 worked really well for a few hours before I backed it down to freq 375 and sold it off.

I can't take advantage of this miner due to the loud sound.  It is too loud in my garage. which is directly under my bedroom.  But lots of miners have spots where the sound does not matter.  And this miner will work well for them.

I don't think that it is loud with noctua fans-you tested it first anyway. I compared directly with SP20 and noctua fan makes S5 less loud than Sp20 at fan setting 30 (underclocked to 1.35 th). The expense is the problem with this for a larger deployment. I am waiting for delta to do a noctua-delta combo (~$32) and will also check noctua-noctua and delta-delta ($16) as well. If any of these would work, I can deploy more. I cannot deploy more SP20 (have two) because even at setting 30 they are still a bit loud for home.

yeah my sp20's work because I can do this in my attached garage a six stack with fans at 20 speeds at 1200gh this six pack will run until may.

I have 2 more on the far left in the last photo.

I will probably need to sell them off in late march or early april

if it gets hot just open the garage door:

lastly sound control:

legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848
AND  to be clear the stock fan pushing at about 3900 rpm  and the delta fan pull at about 3000 rpm is silly nut job loud.

But it allowed for an easy freq of 412  and hash of 1290-1300 with power of .52 watt per gh

Unfortunately though, optimum cooling efficiency usually comes with a price (loudness).  Also consider that a good part of that "loudness" is due to resonance created by turbulent air rushing through the restrictive/dense heat sink fins; and this is actually good.  It means that the fan is doing its job.

yeah it is true.  but this miner is pretty good if you have a place that hides the sound.  My freq 412 worked really well for a few hours before I backed it down to freq 375 and sold it off.

I can't take advantage of this miner due to the loud sound.  It is too loud in my garage. which is directly under my bedroom.  But lots of miners have spots where the sound does not matter.  And this miner will work well for them.

I don't think that it is loud with noctua fans-you tested it first anyway. I compared directly with SP20 and noctua fan makes S5 less loud than Sp20 at fan setting 30 (underclocked to 1.35 th). The expense is the problem with this for a larger deployment. I am waiting for delta to do a noctua-delta combo (~$32) and will also check noctua-noctua and delta-delta ($16) as well. If any of these would work, I can deploy more. I cannot deploy more SP20 (have two) because even at setting 30 they are still a bit loud for home.
legendary
AND  to be clear the stock fan pushing at about 3900 rpm  and the delta fan pull at about 3000 rpm is silly nut job loud.

But it allowed for an easy freq of 412  and hash of 1290-1300 with power of .52 watt per gh

Unfortunately though, optimum cooling efficiency usually comes with a price (loudness).  Also consider that a good part of that "loudness" is due to resonance created by turbulent air rushing through the restrictive/dense heat sink fins; and this is actually good.  It means that the fan is doing its job.

yeah it is true.  but this miner is pretty good if you have a place that hides the sound.  My freq 412 worked really well for a few hours before I backed it down to freq 375 and sold it off.

I can't take advantage of this miner due to the loud sound.  It is too loud in my garage. which is directly under my bedroom.  But lots of miners have spots where the sound does not matter.  And this miner will work well for them.
legendary
Activity: 1081
Merit: 1001
AND  to be clear the stock fan pushing at about 3900 rpm  and the delta fan pull at about 3000 rpm is silly nut job loud.

But it allowed for an easy freq of 412  and hash of 1290-1300 with power of .52 watt per gh

Unfortunately though, optimum cooling efficiency usually comes with a price (loudness).  Also consider that a good part of that "loudness" is due to resonance created by turbulent air rushing through the restrictive/dense heat sink fins; and this is actually good.  It means that the fan is doing its job.

legendary

legendary

I'm surprised that the discussion about replacement fans are more focused on their airflow volume (CFM) rather than static pressure (mm/H2O) which is more significant in heat sink/radiator applications.  High static pressure fans are more capable of penetrating through dense heat sink fins such as in the AntMiner devices.  I think there's a reason why Bitmain engineers equip their units with very powerful industrial 12038s with high static pressure (directly proportional to loudness) instead of just mainstream consumer-oriented 12025s.

true in the case of  one  push fan only.  but two high cfm fans as push pull get around that.

since neither one needs full penetration of the heat sink using high static pressure,   but if you don't care about sound the stock fan with a good pull fan cools best.

Push-pull configuration is only effective in an enclosed unit (S3) and not in an open-chassis design (S5) though.

I ran the s-5 with the stock fan pushing  and at freq 412 the temps crept up to 67 and 65 .

I ran the same freq with the 148 cfm 3 pin delta as a pull and temps never went above 58 and 56 at freq 412.  so for overclocking adding a high cfm pull fan got beter results. 

I am sure  that a sealed box would have helped more.

In your scenario (adding a pull fan in an open S5 unit), the pull fan is able to help dissipate some hot air coming out at the other end of the heat sinks to a certain extent (hence the temperature difference), courtesy of the powerful high-static-pressure (loud) stock fan that is able to force air through the dense heat sink fins.  The key is to have a high-static-pressure fan that is more efficient in pushing/forcing air through restrictive heat sink/radiator fins for optimum cooling, enclosed case or not.  I did add pull fans to my S1s back in the day because it helped to a certain extent.

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

I'm surprised that the discussion about replacement fans are more focused on their airflow volume (CFM) rather than static pressure (mm/H2O) which is more significant in heat sink/radiator applications.  High static pressure fans are more capable of penetrating through dense heat sink fins such as in the AntMiner devices.  I think there's a reason why Bitmain engineers equip their units with very powerful industrial 12038s with high static pressure (directly proportional to loudness) instead of just mainstream consumer-oriented 12025s.

true in the case of  one  push fan only.  but two high cfm fans as push pull get around that.

since neither one needs full penetration of the heat sink using high static pressure,   but if you don't care about sound the stock fan with a good pull fan cools best.

Push-pull configuration is only effective in an enclosed unit (S3) and not in an open-chassis design (S5) though.

While that should absolutely be true, I can say in my experience the front heatsinks went from too hot to touch to cool to the touch with a high cfm pull fan installed on my S5's.
legendary

I ran the s-5 with the stock fan pushing  and at freq 412 the temps crept up to 67 and 65 .

I ran the same freq with the 148 cfm 3 pin delta as a pull and temps never went above 58 and 56 at freq 412.  so for overclocking adding a high cfm pull fan got better results.  

I am sure  that a sealed box would have helped more.
legendary

legendary

I'm surprised that the discussion about replacement fans are more focused on their airflow volume (CFM) rather than static pressure (mm/H2O) which is more significant in heat sink/radiator applications.  High static pressure fans are more capable of penetrating through dense heat sink fins such as in the AntMiner devices.  I think there's a reason why Bitmain engineers equip their units with very powerful industrial 12038s with high static pressure (directly proportional to loudness) instead of just mainstream consumer-oriented 12025s.

true in the case of  one  push fan only.  but two high cfm fans as push pull get around that.

since neither one needs full penetration of the heat sink using high static pressure,   but if you don't care about sound the stock fan with a good pull fan cools best.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
For better cooling results without a shroud configure your fans inwards as push - push  not push - pull

I did tried on s1 and is crap! the hot air was getting stuck in the middle and temps rose like ~5c!
putting the unit on the side may help Roll Eyes
grn
Activity: 357
Merit: 252
For better cooling results without a shroud configure your fans inwards as push - push  not push - pull
legendary

I'm surprised that the discussion about replacement fans are more focused on their airflow volume (CFM) rather than static pressure (mm/H2O) which is more significant in heat sink/radiator applications.  High static pressure fans are more capable of penetrating through dense heat sink fins such as in the AntMiner devices.  I think there's a reason why Bitmain engineers equip their units with very powerful industrial 12038s with high static pressure (directly proportional to loudness) instead of just mainstream consumer-oriented 12025s.

legendary
Who cares for the noise Tongue
what is the hash rate?

I maxed at 1290-1305 at freq 412 with a second fan for cooling it used 675 watts.
legendary
Activity: 1006
SafeHaven.Finance
Thanks philipma for the clarify of my service
those s5 gear will hosted on our big farm in chengdu with good stability, which have run for two month without any downtime
i will get my thread ready for the s5 tomorrow, but if you want to check my record, you can go
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/wwweasy2minecom-340-the-group-buy-of-antminer-s5psu-included-514758

we will test the real power consumption of s5 when it arrive and charge host fee according to 0.1$ per kw.h
should be around 43.2$ each s5 per month.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Who cares for the noise Tongue
what is the hash rate?
legendary
if anyone want this miner and also want  away from the noise at the same time
you can go for me

i provide host service for s5 and charge host fee according 0.1$ per kw'h
which means if the power consumption of s5 is about 600w, the host fee for one s5 is 0.6*0.1*24*30=43.2$ per month

i am not scamer, i have provided host service on this forum for more than 6 month, even philipma host one a1 miner in my data center for three month

I did business with pcfli  and he was okay.   

He may be good for you if your power is too costly.

I am not sure how he is setting up hosting of this gear.

lee put up  a link to your thread  if you want to.

To anyone  that uses pcfli I get no money from lee.  And while the deal i did with him was okay I do not know the future .  His place is in China.

I do not know any details and I do not know if it will work out for you.  Lee  sold me and hosted a dragon miner for me for 120days and then purchased it back. His service was good not perfect. Say April 2014 to August 2014.

I  broke even on this more because of good btc price sales on my part.
For the 120 days of hosting I was up and hashing around 118 days. Which was more then 98% up time.
legendary
Activity: 1006
SafeHaven.Finance
if anyone want this miner and also want  away from the noise at the same time
you can go for me

i provide host service for s5 and charge host fee according 0.1$ per kw'h
which means if the power consumption of s5 is about 600w, the host fee for one s5 is 0.6*0.1*24*30=43.2$ per month

i am not scamer, i have provided host service on this forum for more than 6 month, even philipma host one a1 miner in my data center for three month
Pages:
Jump to: