Pages:
Author

Topic: Securing Your Seed Phrase with Washers - page 17. (Read 5921 times)

Activity: 882
Merit: 5818
not your keys, not your coins!
March 14, 2022, 11:32:02 PM
I know the cost section might put a lot of users off the idea of doing this, but ignore the total cost, because the total cost is likely not going to to be anywhere near that. Since, most of these items, people already have especially if they're a home owner. For example, I have millions of washers/screws (including the size required), I have a sledge, gloves, duct tape, hot glue gun, and a micro fibre cloth. That has already reduced the price by 35+ euros based on the OP's pricing. Although, I bet I have a tonne of other stuff in storage that can either be substituted to a degree or already have. For example, the stickers could potentially be substituted.
Honestly, the raw material cost is nothing. 4€ for washers and a few euros for the stamp (you can skip that if in a pinch). Tools should be easily available in any household or can be borrowed by some friend without any weird questions.
All the other stuff like tube, stickers, hot glue etc. aren't needed, so while fillippone went total overkill, I think washers are actually the absolute cheapest way to get a steel wallet backup.

The letter stamps have to be purchased with any type of steel wallet product, except those where you slide the letters, but those aren't recommended since they fall out if the casing bends (e.g. under rubble). So I wouldn't really count them into the price, just like the hammer.

A stack of washers (especially larger ones) is extremely solid. I am sure you can even find it in a destroyed house and restore the backup.

What do you think of like doing a simple encoding of the passphrase so that it'll take longer for them to access the content?
I strongly, strongly advise against it. There's a saying that goes something like 'don't roll your own crypto'. There are various posts about it online. In the context of Bitcoin seed backups it's not really because of security concerns, but more about doubts in people's ability to remember what they did one, two or 10 years ago to their seed. Something that seems trivial now (e.g. 'I swap every 4th word with every 5th word' or something), might be completely forgotten mere months later.

I recently ran into an issue where I knew I had a secondary wallet inside a hardware wallet, but couldn't remember how to access it. I knew it wasn't through passphrase and the software didn't show me a second wallet either. It turned out through trial and error, that that wallet used derivation paths to create multiple wallets (without using the standard passphrase feature) and I had completely forgotten about it. It was solved by 'creating' a new secondary wallet in the software (this information is stored on the PC and I had gotten a new one) and the funds were back. But you might not be so lucky with a stack of washers that you applied some random custom 'crypto' to multiple years ago.
staff
Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110
March 14, 2022, 10:55:40 PM
I know the cost section might put a lot of users off the idea of doing this, but ignore the total cost, because the total cost is likely not going to to be anywhere near that. Since, most of these items, people already have especially if they're a home owner. For example, I have millions of washers/screws (including the size required), I have a sledge, gloves, duct tape, hot glue gun, and a micro fibre cloth. That has already reduced the price by 35+ euros based on the OP's pricing. Although, I bet I have a tonne of other stuff in storage that can either be substituted to a degree or already have. For example, the stickers could potentially be substituted.

Hide it in something dirty like coffee grounds or diapers.
This is just going to draw more attention to yourself, since whoever is snooping in your bins, will now be asking why your feeding washers to your baby. Nah, but in all seriousness that's a good idea, even some of the lowly of thief's aren't going through diapers.

Interesting way of storing the seed. I suppose stamping is better at remaining legible than say, etching it. If anyone got a hold of this, they'd still be able to use it right? Is there any additional thing that can be done to prevent that or at least make it harder for them to access?

What do you think of like doing a simple encoding of the passphrase so that it'll take longer for them to access the content?
You could encode it if you really wanted too, but depending on your threat model could potentially be overkill. However, to answer your question if someone got their hands on the washers it contains the seed, so they would be able to use it just like anyone else. This basically protects against losing the seeds though various natural threats, for example fires, flooding to degradation of materials. Steel washers are decent at surviving most things, maybe not very high temperatures, but it really does depend on how you store them, hence the container suggested.

Although, if you've got into this much effort, it's probably safe to assume you also have at least some physical security in place to prevent prying eyes. The security labels are a good idea, but effectively if the container has been opened, and therefore the stickers have been torn, you can safely assume that its already been compromised. It's more of a warning that it has been compromised, that something that'll help you save it, if you get what I mean. It doesn't necessarily safeguard your seed.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 15144
Fully fledged Merit Cycler - Golden Feather 22-23
March 14, 2022, 08:13:57 PM
I added a few suggestion that came out from the comments in the OP.
I also corrected some embarrassing typos (I love "tinkering", not "thinking"!)

Hopefully, more valuable content will continue to come!

No, I didn't added the Etna suggestion, yet.

@fillippone this is truly one amazing megapost and you even provided videos for lazy people (cool music but I expected something more Italian).
Can you please tell me about material that is used for making Hermetic container?
I have seen few of these before on aliexpress and ebay but I think most of them were cheap and made from aluminum if I remember correctly.
It would add to structural integrity a lot if this could also be made from stainless steel.

Also your Italian videos are coming later.

The container is in a very light aluminium.
Not more structural stiffness is needed, as per Jameson Lopp test.
Also, in case of levate temperature, aluminium could be easily removed, without transforming the washers + case in an unmanageable blob of metal.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
March 14, 2022, 02:12:35 PM
Is there any additional thing that can be done to prevent that or at least make it harder for them to access?
I can think of a few things Cheesy You could for instance use the washers to hang 400 kg of concrete from your ceiling. After all, you're dealing with construction material. That'll make it hard to steal.
Activity: 994
Merit: 302
March 14, 2022, 01:59:06 PM
Interesting way of storing the seed. I suppose stamping is better at remaining legible than say, etching it. If anyone got a hold of this, they'd still be able to use it right? Is there any additional thing that can be done to prevent that or at least make it harder for them to access?

legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
March 14, 2022, 01:29:47 PM
Regarding washers disposal, I think we can be satisfied with the more easy easy of disposal: dustbin, diapers, tossing into rivers… weather balloons, volcanoes and interplanetary ships might be a fun idea, but ultimately an overkill.
I see you are not impressed with my Etna suggestion Embarrassed but it would be so poetical you know, El Salvador is using their volcano for mining and you are using yours for destroying it... sort off.
legendary
March 14, 2022, 01:22:44 PM
@fillippone this is truly one amazing megapost and you even provided videos for lazy people (cool music but I expected something more Italian).

Ah. Challenge accepted. Bear with me.

Regarding washers disposal, I think we can be satisfied with the more easy easy of disposal: dustbin, diapers, tossing into rivers… weather balloons, volcanoes and interplanetary ships might be a fun idea, but ultimately an overkill.

VVV while geothermal energy is good to generate bitcoin, no way fillippone is going to ditch precious sats in Earth mantel, irrespective of how much poetic it might look.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
March 14, 2022, 12:49:45 PM
Can you please tell me about material that is used for making Hermetic container?
I have seen few of these before on aliexpress and ebay but I think most of them were cheap and made from aluminum if I remember correctly.
It would add to structural integrity a lot if this could also be made from stainless steel.

I have another idea! Hang each washers on a weather balloon. They can fly round half the world before bursting and the washer falling down into the ocean or any random place.
Exotic idea.
He could literally send his bitcoin to the moon or maybe even throw them in Etna one by one, I hear this volcano has been more active recently.
Just watch out not to burn yourself doing that fillippone.
March 14, 2022, 07:54:06 AM
I'll repeat what I said in another thread just yesterday: I think we are bordering on the ridiculous here.

I know! I said that, too:

Distributing washers in various locations internationally would be statistically secure, but mathematically not. The probability of finding all washers would be less than winning the jackpot 100 times in a lifetime probably, but not zero. So as a lover of numbers, that wouldn't make me feel confident enough.

But it's just a gut feeling thing, you know! Grin

I have another idea! Hang each washers on a weather balloon. They can fly round half the world before bursting and the washer falling down into the ocean or any random place.
legendary
March 14, 2022, 05:45:40 AM
Now, does anyone have any idea how to dispose of these washers?
I missed this question yesterday, but I'll respond anyway because it's fun Tongue
I'd say you can give the washers the same treatment as a hard drive: clamp it in a vice, get an angle grinder, and destroy the letters.

I could toss a washer: down the toilet at home
Don't do that, it'll just get stuck in the pipes very close to your toilet.

it would drive me nuts knowing that the washers are not in my household anymore but sitting outside where anyone could pick them up with my seed still stamped onto them.
It becomes interesting when thousands of people are disposing of their washers. Even if you'd find them all, you still wouldn't be able to use them.

Still, this is wholly unnecessary. Just stamp over them, make them unreadable, and throw them in your trash.
Even better if you use different trash bins: one per week at home, one in the office. Hide it in something dirty like coffee grounds or diapers.
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 7410
Crypto Swap Exchange
March 14, 2022, 05:44:46 AM
Also I know words are uniquely identified by the first 4 words, but I think the time save is not comparable to the increased risk in case of data loss: what if I print only 4 words, and a strange accident damages 2 letters of every washer?so I deliberately decided to print all letters.

Actually it's good point. Reducing chance of data loss is more important than saving time during setup.

FYI, you could save some time if you only write first 4 character of each word. Although i'm not sure it's applicable for seed/mnemonic on different language which have different specification.
I'm pretty sure that it's a requirement for any language's 'seed alphabet' that the words need to be uniquely identifiable by the first 4 letters.

I checked the specification[1] and looks like it's true for any language which use alphabet similar with English alphabet. But it's not applicable to CJK characters[2-4] which might use less than 4 character.

[1] https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0039/bip-0039-wordlists.md
[2] https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0039/chinese_simplified.txt
[3] https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0039/japanese.txt
[4] https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0039/korean.txt
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
March 14, 2022, 05:08:14 AM
Distributing washers in various locations internationally would be statistically secure, but mathematically not. The probability of finding all washers would be less than winning the jackpot 100 times in a lifetime probably, but not zero.
I'll repeat what I said in another thread just yesterday: I think we are bordering on the ridiculous here.

The chance of somebody accidentally stumbling across, say, 20 of your washers (assuming the remaining 4 words could be brute forced) which you have disposed of in various places around a city is infinitesimal. Spread those across a state or a country, and the chance is essentially zero.

If we are considering a targeted attack, then what's the likelihood that someone who wants to steal your coins is going to know enough about you to know your system, know you are disposing of it, and follow your every move for weeks or even months to pick up every washer that you throw away, versus some other far easier and more direct attack?

Still, this is wholly unnecessary. Just stamp over them, make them unreadable, and throw them in your trash. Job done.

And to fillippone, believe me or not I have not even thought about disposing of them in toilets or burying them in the ground, one washer every trip.
Putting a bunch of metal down your toilet sounds like a great way to get yourself an expensive plumbing bill.
Activity: 756
Merit: 1723
Crypto Swap Exchange
March 14, 2022, 04:30:26 AM
I still have a few washers I messed up stamping and I immediately wondered what I should do with them.  Welding is a good idea too.  And to fillippone, believe me or not I have not even thought about disposing of them in toilets or burying them in the ground, one washer every trip.

But being the freak that I am, I agree with n0nce.  Even if it is practically impossible to find even 4 of them, probably even 3 or 2 long as nobody sees you and follows the buried spot, it would drive me nuts knowing that the washers are not in my household anymore but sitting outside where anyone could pick them up with my seed still stamped onto them.

My idea of disposing of washers comes from the fear that someone finds my empty seed and gets to see and analyze the history of my coins.  Welding, throwing them away or burying them separately miles away each, stamping multiple letters to make the letters unrecognizable.  I love brainstorming.

-
Regards,
PrivacyG
March 14, 2022, 12:05:51 AM
The next easiest option would be to "write over" the seed phrase, so to speak - stamp every letter of the alphabet on top of every character already stamped on each washer. They will quickly become unreadable and therefore unrecoverable.
That's what I did when I had messed up one washer.
I didn't want to even leak a single word of my seed to anyone going through my trash(nobody), so I just hammered multiple random letters on top of the ones I had already stamped, then trashed the washer.

Plenty of possibilities.
Distributing washers in various locations internationally would be statistically secure, but mathematically not. The probability of finding all washers would be less than winning the jackpot 100 times in a lifetime probably, but not zero. So as a lover of numbers, that wouldn't make me feel confident enough. I would prefer some sort of destruction.. Grin A welder could for example damage the washers to a large degree.
legendary
March 13, 2022, 04:52:30 PM
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
March 13, 2022, 04:24:33 PM
Now, does anyone have any idea how to dispose of these washers?
I would think the easiest way would be to use a complex enough passphrase along with any seed phrase backed up on metal, and then move all your coins to a new wallet if you need to dispose of the back up. Then it is unlikely anyone would be able to brute force your wallet even if they obtained your discarded back up, and even if they do, you have only lost your privacy and not any coins.

The next easiest option would be to "write over" the seed phrase, so to speak - stamp every letter of the alphabet on top of every character already stamped on each washer. They will quickly become unreadable and therefore unrecoverable.
legendary
March 13, 2022, 10:09:06 AM
Do you have estimation how much those materials and tools costs?

As Per Your request:

Cost Estimate for the complete setup:

Washers+Screw+ BoltEUR  3.00 (Sold By Weight)
BlockMit Jigfree
n0nce JigEUR 30.00
SledgehammerEUR 12.99
AnvilEUR 9.90
StampsEUR 28.79
Safety Labels 100xEUR  12.99
ContainerEUR  15.27
GlovesEUR  2.50
Duct TapeEUR 03.99
Microfiber Cloth EUR 01.00
Hot Glue GunEUR 09.50
Circle StickersEUR 00.90
Indelible MarkerEUR 8.13
GRAND TOTAL EUR 138.96

Well, this is actually more than I had expected.
It's true that a lot of materials are already in most houses, and a lot of materials could be replaced with cheaper ones, but I wanted to account everything (double jig included).
Also, buying a crypto steel, probably, you should also account an hammer or somewhere to punch letters...

Ah, luckily I hadn't necessity to use scissors, so they are in the picture, but I haven't used them.

March 13, 2022, 09:04:50 AM
If I wouldn't have read this is a phone number, I may have never guessed it. Adding a +country might help (but there's probably no "+" in the stamp set), or otherwise at least add the full word: "PHONE" or "PHONE NUMBER" (at the back).
You could use the I key twice (rotate stamp by 90 degrees).
legendary
March 13, 2022, 08:25:27 AM

Telephone number printed on both sides of the washer, perhaps it would be better to add the country code!
If I wouldn't have read this is a phone number, I may have never guessed it. Adding a +country might help (but there's probably no "+" in the stamp set), or otherwise at least add the full word: "PHONE" or "PHONE NUMBER" (at the back).

If the phone number is intended to help out someone who doesn't know crypto, it might also be beneficial to add some washers with the name of the coins you (intend to) store using this seed phrase. That is of course annoying if you want to add another coin later, but it might save someone from having to search through hundreds of altcoins that could possibly be stored with that seed.

At this point, the block is ready to be sealed with hot glue on both ends
In my experience, hot glue sticks much better if you heat up the metal before applying the glue.
Activity: 756
Merit: 1723
Crypto Swap Exchange
March 13, 2022, 08:18:20 AM
Is it not better for this topic to sit in the Beginners & Help section of the forum?  The method of backing up a seed is crucial for any Bitcoin holder.  The more members see this, the more educated they HOPEFULLY are.

I have been having a lot of fun on my own creating seeds particularly to experiment with a specific method of backup and try destroying them later on.  Now, does anyone have any idea how to dispose of these washers?  Paper wallet disposal is easy, but what about steel?  The only ways I can think of is throwing away one washer at a time during a long trip on the road and melting the steel, which is safer and maybe better for the environment.  The latter is unless someone finds my washers a thousand years from now and I unintentionally created an amazing piece of Internet and Cryptocurrency history.

But for overly paranoid ones like me, throwing away one washer at a time could definitely come with consequences.  If you are being spied on, there is a chance someone will follow you and pick up your disposed washers one by one, exactly the same way you threw them away.

-
Regards,
PrivacyG
Pages:
Jump to: