Pages:
Author

Topic: Sending in fake ID for KYC - page 58. (Read 89308 times)

Activity: 238
Merit: 11
May 30, 2018, 07:51:00 AM
I just was brought up to speed on groups of people sending in fake/Photoshopped ID's by scanning public records to defeat the KYC process and it seemingly is very easy to do.  It appears that many people sent in fake documentation to the Bob's and Polymath KYC and had no hassles.  How do these companies verify people if all they have to go on is public information?  Did they even really check the ID's or were they simply collected the data?  How rampant do you think this is?  How many of us are complete fools for turning in our documents when others simply faked it.  Now they have our data and the people who faked it are still secure.

NOT FAIR.

KYC customer is a huge problem in the crypto space, most of the times there is no guarantee at all on how the data is stored and who is responsible for any breach.
Activity: 364
Merit: 138
dApps Development Automation Platform
May 30, 2018, 07:47:37 AM
Here's an opinion on this from Twitter, which was supported by many, including myself
https://twitter.com/MattoshiN/status/999277236934111232

"Why is it that participation in ICOs building 'revolutionary decentralised platforms' almost always seems to require submitting personal data for KYC/AML purposes into their centralised servers?"

Activity: 665
Merit: 114
#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE
May 30, 2018, 07:47:14 AM
I just was brought up to speed on groups of people sending in fake/Photoshopped ID's by scanning public records to defeat the KYC process and it seemingly is very easy to do.  It appears that many people sent in fake documentation to the Bob's and Polymath KYC and had no hassles.  How do these companies verify people if all they have to go on is public information?  Did they even really check the ID's or were they simply collected the data?  How rampant do you think this is?  How many of us are complete fools for turning in our documents when others simply faked it.  Now they have our data and the people who faked it are still secure.

NOT FAIR.

it is dangerous, dont mind people like that, because there are some circumstances that they may face in the future if there is someone find out that they are faking their identity on kyc.
Activity: 399
Merit: 2
May 30, 2018, 07:41:45 AM
like seriously is that very bad of people, how could they do such things although I don't really think sending them right ID will lead to anything but I also wonder how they get right source of information if actually you send the right one to them. maybe they have an automated machine that verifies it so easily or that detect weather is wrong or right.
Activity: 266
Merit: 10
May 30, 2018, 07:35:29 AM
I try not to join the ICO campaigns, which, under the conditions of accession, do not exclude the conduct of the KYC verification in the future. However, if such campaigns put forward such a requirement after the completion of the ICO, then there is no way out. In this case, it would be foolish to send your personal data to people who can eventually turn out to be scammers. Moreover, these persons do not have the opportunity to conduct a full-fledged verification of the information we send. Therefore, I fully admit they are not sending data to the steps, given that the KYC audit should be conducted against investors, and not those who do not invest in ICO projects.
Yes its true because KYC is only needed when the people invest in project. But why the project need kyc for bounty which get small payment from them? But its the rule. If we dont send the kyc then we will not get the payment. Its very hard decision mate.
Activity: 174
Merit: 0
May 30, 2018, 07:32:12 AM
You know, the there should be other means to check kyc other than to turn in your legal documents to some anonymous entities. For all you know they data collected could be used in some plot against innocent people in the crypto market. Just analyze this carefully, a bounty hunter does all the effort to promote an ico, probably also invest in the ico as well and in return for the token you are now demanding kyc. A document like passport and national identifications are not meant to be joked with. They have been selling our detains out for their own benefits.
copper member
Activity: 308
May 30, 2018, 07:11:09 AM
there is an opinion that most airdrop spend just in order to collect your personal data and sell for " dark Affairs"
Activity: 238
May 30, 2018, 07:05:47 AM
I have to say that it is a dangerous thing to share your personal ID like that, because in case of a loss, anybody can use your ID the same way
Activity: 120
May 30, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

NOT FAIR.

I think some kYC on ICOs is just formalization, meaning the KYC itself is not checked properly. Or it could be possible that the KYC is automated and the program mistakenly identifies the ID as valid. It's just to make sure that the legal side in tokens distribution will not have problem in the future.
Activity: 1820
Merit: 107
May 30, 2018, 04:49:33 AM

NOT FAIR.

Damnit Im not aware of this situation is really happening im just do it sending my real data in KYC when Im investing and ICO and 2 times for Bounty KYC thats why I wrote in this forum that KYC announcement must Include in the Bounty Thread of those specific Bounty Campaign before accepting any Participants are you going to gamble for a penny sending your data to unknown people. in our country there is a law the Data privacy Act. and no one can easily get any data for that particular person without court order! except with his/her consent offcource.
Activity: 602
Merit: 250
May 30, 2018, 04:34:05 AM

NOT FAIR.

really ? i'm never thought with people use fake kyc, because doing verification with real ID is difficult so i think with fake ID more difficult
in few ico requires to selfi with their ID, maybe it is solution to avoid the fake account

Activity: 252
Merit: 13
May 30, 2018, 04:28:21 AM
I believe that for KYC Identification it is absolutely necessary to require that a person be photographed holding a passport and a piece of paper with the inscription of the project.
Activity: 130
May 30, 2018, 03:55:28 AM
it is already at odds with the basic phases of anonymous crypto. just look at Bitcoin and others in created with anonym.

and can also properly false our documents when doing such a thing, possibly with the exception of a market exchange, requiring the id for verification.

too bad !
Activity: 446
Merit: 12
BitbondSTO.com | Germany’s First STO
May 29, 2018, 05:12:43 PM
I just was brought up to speed on groups of people sending in fake/Photoshopped ID's by scanning public records to defeat the KYC process and it seemingly is very easy to do.  It appears that many people sent in fake documentation to the Bob's and Polymath KYC and had no hassles.  How do these companies verify people if all they have to go on is public information?  Did they even really check the ID's or were they simply collected the data?  How rampant do you think this is?  How many of us are complete fools for turning in our documents when others simply faked it.  Now they have our data and the people who faked it are still secure.

NOT FAIR.

im really sure the team members of the ICO eho checked up the KYC information of the participant wouldn't let it happen. if the already with KYC system then im sure they already prepare with a whole things involved in it. im sure they will also asking you a new selfie photo if yourself, not only the ID Card.
Activity: 302
Merit: 100
Presale is live!
May 29, 2018, 05:08:02 PM
If these campaigns and projects keep requiring people to do KYC to particpate or get their rewards after they were done promoting the campaign, they should not be surprised if people start flooding them with fake identifications. People are not very keen on giving out their personal information online to people that they do not know. Some people are really good at using fake IDs.
Activity: 491
#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE
May 28, 2018, 11:22:48 PM

NOT FAIR.

there is no way to know if people are sending their fake identity to pass kyc. many people are agree on kyc process by for some reason, they are not really using their own identity, it is already known situation even before. its unfair but, everything has its own bad karma, so let them and if for some reason, and they have found out that they are using fake identity, they must face the consequences.
Activity: 217
ReCREWeR.com ^Straight Drop Crypto Airdrops^
May 28, 2018, 10:28:16 PM
I'm just like you sending your real data, because I'm sure of the projects I'm participating in. If you think the project fraud, it is better not to participate at all in it
No matter how we check the documents of the ICO and its team, we can not do it qualitatively because we do not have the capabilities of the law enforcement agencies. Participation in ICO projects is always risky, we are also forced to rely on luck. Therefore, I do not see anything wrong with sending fake or foreign copies of documents to these teams. In this case, there will be no criminal liability. I have not yet seen that the ICO team refers to a specific law or even a bylaw that grants them the right to require us as signatories of the ICO signature campaign to provide copies of their documents. So what kind of criminal responsibility can there be in this case? There can not be any responsibility at all here.

Well said... The objective is for the ICO to stay clear of any regulatory jurisdiction. Its CYA on the ICO behalf.
How they go about that is up to them. They make a reasonable effort by requiring residence/ID verification.
Period. That effort covers their ass. They have no liability in certifying IDs/residence. Its not a moral or criminal issue.
Its a compliance issue on behalf of the ICO entity.
Activity: 217
ReCREWeR.com ^Straight Drop Crypto Airdrops^
May 28, 2018, 10:18:40 PM
Editing tools? huh?

Take the SEC for example. If an ICO has any future plans, at all...they will stay in-line with any regulatory requirements set forth by the SEC. If the ICO has any plan to A) Submit to SEC registration of (ICO) offering (registered security) or B) NOT be charged with offering or selling an unregistered security. The ICO will in all good faith attempt to abide by SEC regulations which includes NOT intentionally selling or offering unregistered securities to residence of SEC jurisdiction.
THIS is the reasoning behind KYC. Give them what they need to satisfy that requirement.
If you have "nothing to hide" and do not mind exposing your personal information to a private entity that has no "safekeeping" of your info, kudos. If you provide information that allows the ICO to sell to you and you can receive the ICO offering, kudos. As long as your Docs are inline with what the ICO is "allowed" to do business with, that is the objective. The ICO made a reasonable effort to NOT sell to a restricted person, the ICO is clear.
As mentioned already, this is NOT the same as providing fake Docs to a financial institution or gov entity. That is Fraud and you're screwed.

Activity: 118
May 25, 2018, 06:55:52 AM
That trick won't work for all ico, the population of polymath airdrop was too much probably that is why thorough checking was not done on sent files.
Activity: 462
May 25, 2018, 04:18:49 AM

NOT FAIR.

if they KYC using fake ID, it shouldn't be able to passed. The kyc organizer must have a system that detect any kind of editing tools.
KYC should be unable to fake. usually KYC is required for exchanges to withdraw your coins with a great amount.
Pages:
Jump to: