Pages:
Author

Topic: Statement about the suspect of recent Bitcoinica hack - page 55. (Read 136139 times)

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
Which one of you people do I contact about buying the movie rights to this saga?
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
W T F

I am speechless from all those cliffhangers and evolutions in the case.

I will need a little time to digest all this

That's OK. There's usually about a week between new episodes.
Activity: 223
Merit: 100
W T F

I am speechless from all those cliffhangers and evolutions in the case.

I will need a little time to digest all this
aq
Activity: 238
Months of mudslinging and you manage to solve the riddle within just a few short hours and you never thought of confronting this mystery millionaire previous business partner before all this came to light ?

Tickle me suprised, VERY SURPRISED.

Never. Without AurumXchange and Mt. Gox providing the information they control, I have no way of providing my part of evidence.

Except, checking your very own "stevejobs" email account?

I have no reason to use it. I set up an auto-forwarding and forgot about it. The hacker changed the settings and that's it.
Sounds a bit lame. You have been accused of being the hacker before and you had a verified MtGox account attached to your stevejobs807 email. Still you did "forget" to check it, maybe because you thought that this would be a waste of what, 15 seconds? You give me a hard time believing this, because everyone knows that you aren't that stupid.
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1086
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer
Zhou said its a guy in China, in fact a multi-millionaire in China.

And assuming that this is true then the guy would probably have some major "guanxi" with people in authority (so not even worth thinking about trying to start any legal action in China).
Interesting curveball!

Let's break this down. The main scenarios for how we got here are:

1: Someone else is behind the thefts

2: Zhou is behind the thefts

Previously, the action plan that followed from either of these assumptions, if anything was to be done, was to dig deeper and probably to bring lawyers and police into the matter.

Now, though, the victims suddenly have another option: Take what money is to be had and let the whole thing slide. How many victims care enough about the truth to put their money on the line for it? I'm sure for a lot of people involved, besides Zhou Tong, the quietest end possible to this is the best. So the question is not just "whodunnit", it's first "do you care?"

Assuming, of course, this isn't just a delay tactic.

Bear in mind that this person is only implicated in the MtGox theft.  There have still been two other thefts from Bitcoinica.

Also bear in mind that legal liability may arise for any of the principals involved in this if they make a deal which involves not filing a police report.  Given the attention the Bitcoinica hacks have received in the past, I'd say there's zero possibility of any such deal not being reported in the same media which reported the hacks.  This messageboard isn't some private little club where we're talking out of earshot.
vip
Activity: 490
Merit: 502
Months of mudslinging and you manage to solve the riddle within just a few short hours and you never thought of confronting this mystery millionaire previous business partner before all this came to light ?

Never. Without AurumXchange and Mt. Gox providing the information they control, I have no way of providing my part of evidence.

I have no reason to use it. I set up an auto-forwarding and forgot about it. The hacker changed the settings and that's it.
Activity: 504
F1ex.com charges about 5.6% to 8% for BTC->LR, and usually mixing services charge 1.5%-5%. Also I guess he sold most Bitcoins at about $7. Anyway I will ask him whether he has hidden any money.

If the guy's a millionaire, I don't see why the only funds he'd have access to are whatever his net profit was from the Mt Gox compromise.

I'm hoping to request more. But he's quite uncooperative. I would suggest Bitcoinica to get police involved.

Zhou, your best bet to clear your name would be to file official character impersonation/identity theft with the chinese police and provide them with all evidence which would be the easier for you to get this specific person into court where you would be able to extract the secondary charges of theft aswell.

Any court would take the first crime more seriously at first and the second offense can be slapped on top.

When did China come into this?

Zhou said its a guy in China, in fact a multi-millionaire in China.
aq
Activity: 238

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Wat
I dont think people care if they get all their money back. That is the optimum scenario here.

legendary
Activity: 1615
Zhou, your best bet to clear your name would be to file official character impersonation/identity theft with the chinese police and provide them with all evidence which would be the easier for you to get this specific person into court where you would be able to extract the secondary charges of theft aswell.

Any court would take the first crime more seriously at first and the second offense can be slapped on top.

This would also expose him to unknown legal liabilities. To go to court Zhou would have to be pretty confident Bitcoinica wasn't breaking the law just by operating as it did. He said himself that concerns him, and I'd guess most of the others involved in running the various businesses tangled up in this mess have similar worries, and will therefore want to avoid bringing the law in if at all possible.
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
F1ex.com charges about 5.6% to 8% for BTC->LR, and usually mixing services charge 1.5%-5%. Also I guess he sold most Bitcoins at about $7. Anyway I will ask him whether he has hidden any money.

If the guy's a millionaire, I don't see why the only funds he'd have access to are whatever his net profit was from the Mt Gox compromise.

I'm hoping to request more. But he's quite uncooperative. I would suggest Bitcoinica to get police involved.

When did China come into this?
legendary
Activity: 1615
Interesting curveball!

Let's break this down. The main scenarios for how we got here are:

1: Someone else is behind the thefts

2: Zhou is behind the thefts

Previously, the action plan that followed from either of these assumptions, if anything was to be done, was to dig deeper and probably to bring lawyers and police into the matter.

Now, though, the victims suddenly have another option: Take what money is to be had and let the whole thing slide. How many victims care enough about the truth to put their money on the line for it? I'm sure for a lot of people involved, besides Zhou Tong, the quietest end possible to this is the best. So the question is not just "whodunnit", it's first "do you care?"

Assuming, of course, this isn't just a delay tactic.

Oh god.  Not yet another decision by committee which can only be discussed during a one hour window each day because they're all in different time zones and no-one regards being able to communicate with each other in real time as essential to running a business.
legendary
Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001
wow.
I am just.. speechless..

Now would be a good timing for some bitcoin[ica] consultancy people to pop up?

Zhou, you realize that it won't be as easy as to simply return the money and all is done? Even if everyone is paid 100% in the end, there will be people who still accuse you of having stolen it and then returned, when the evidence showed up.
I understand you mostly are worried about your reputation at this point. Act accordingly!

Ente
vip

vip

If they don't do anything there won't be any progress until the customers start their legal actions against Bitcoinica.

I don't think you can speak for Bitcoinica on this.  Charlie has spoken to both Tihan and Patrick in person recently and seems to have more up to date information than any other outsider.
Pages:
Jump to: