Pages:
Author

Topic: Statement about the suspect of recent Bitcoinica hack - page 51. (Read 136139 times)

rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
Whoops! forgot to enable 2factor on MtGox

2factor WAS enabled on MtGox originally, but turned off before the hack occurred.
Source? And why would anyone disable 2FA? Huh
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970

2factor WAS enabled on MtGox originally, but turned off before the hack occurred.
Activity: 761
Merit: 500
Mine Silent, Mine Deep
Whoops! root password reset over a mailing-list
Whoops! failed to make backups & unrecoverable.
Whoops! failed to take ownership after public announcement
Whoops! failed to file GP legal paperwork
Whoops! failed to register with a dispute resolution scheme
Whoops! source code leaked
Whoops! forgot to change master password to something other than a public API key
Whoops! forgot to enable 2factor on lastpass
Whoops! 33% of customer funds stolen
Whoops! Christopher Heaslip's MtGox account compromised.
Whoops! Zhou's secret gmail got hijacked
Whoops! Zhou's millionaire & credit-card fraudster business associate did it.

I am a pretty gullible person, and have been trying very hard to rationalize and believe all the stories over the last couple of months. But I think I just reached a limit; My mind reels trying to accept Zhou's latest revelations. It is all just too fantastical and implausible.

Don't get me wrong, I *want* to believe (just like I would still like to believe in Santa) but I ... just ... can ... not ... do ... it...anymore. There is a limit to the amount of BS someone can take and I've just reached that point. (...If I could turn BS into BTC I would have earned back all my funds already by now)
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
Just thought I'd toss the link to the original rackspace hack back up here.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/emergency-ann-bitcoinica-site-is-taken-offline-for-security-investigation-81045

Even then there were people noticing how convenient it was that Zhou Tong just happened to be online to foil the first Rackspace hack (after losing 18.5kBTC). It's too bad that he wasn't able to stop the nasty hacker from deleting the database and all the backups as well; if he had been able to at least save a backup of the database people would have been able to get their money out of Bitcoinica and it wouldn't be sitting there for his Chinese business partner to steal in the latest "hack".
Activity: 48
Merit: 0
Months of mudslinging and you manage to solve the riddle within just a few short hours and you never thought of confronting this mystery millionaire previous business partner before all this came to light ?

Tickle me suprised, VERY SURPRISED.

Agreed. Sounds like a 'dog ate my homework' story.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
Voice recording of of the suspect admitting guilt or this is bs.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
BitMinter
Did he admit the wrong-doing?

Surprisingly, yes...

legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

That does not mean authorities shouldn't investigate this affair to determine his guilt.

Else no crime ever would be investigated. Innocent until proven else does not mean immunity to investigation.

Didn't say anything else, my friend. I wish an investigation happens as quickly as possible.
Activity: 187
Merit: 100
i seriously doubt Zhou could've "discovered" all this info and forced a confession in less than 6h from Aurumexchanges Public announcement.

Me too, but I am going to keep giving Zhou the benefit of the doubt no matter how unlikely it sounds until he's either convicted or innocent.

The benefit of doubt is fine as for his guilt.

That does not mean authorities shouldn't investigate this affair to determine his guilt.

Else no crime ever would be investigated. Innocent until proven else does not mean immunity to investigation.

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007
1davout
Me too, but I am going to keep giving Zhou the benefit of the doubt no matter how unlikely it sounds until he's either convicted or innocent.
+1
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014
i seriously doubt Zhou could've "discovered" all this info and forced a confession in less than 6h from Aurumexchanges Public announcement.

Activity: 868
You're simply not going to get everyone to agree on a course of action here.  Even if Bitcoinica agrees to do deals with shadowy Chinese fraudsters, it in no way guarantees that not just the theft, but also the deal won't be reported to law enforcement.  Zhou can't promise that it's not going to be reported and neither can Bitcoinica.
Activity: 336
But still good luck building a case in china...
You must have had a HUGE account with bitcoinica building such an international case ranging into corruption havens such as china.
Not even if I possessed all bitcoinica funds I would waste my funds for taking a chance there. In relation to internationally enforced cases we are talking about peanuts here.

...but as I stated earlier not all bitcoiners are pacific hackers - I personally from what I know would fear for my life being involved in this.
For all those still hoping for their fund - write it off finally and enjoy the crime story evolving.
You don't need to go for an investigation into China.

Report it to the police, and sue Bitcoinica.

I mean, we know of one guy who had 24000BTC on there, that's a $350000ish deposit, if that's not worth time in court to you then clearly your time is more valuable than mine  Cheesy

Then, let the Bitcoinica guys pull off all of Zhoutong's fingernails til they get the money back  Wink
Activity: 504
Merit: 502

I like that sentence.
It would be interesting for a change if this could be settled somehow without conventional government involvement.

Somebody in an unrelated post was suggesting a new nation based on Bitcoin.

Is this not an opportunity to take responsibility into our own hands?

How - exactly - are you going to persuade MtGox to unfreeze Bitcoinica's account?  They've already said they won't do so until the legal issues are resolved.

I'm not too familiar with the details in this case. But "solving legal issues" doesn't equal "government intervention".

Government intervention could possibly fuck things up even more as they are probably the most ignorant party in all this (both technologically and philosophically).

Nobody seems to think about what tricky situation Zhou Tong may really be in. Perhaps the underworld has been putting pressure on him right from the start.

I forget which country exactly he's from, but maybe the legal punishment he faces when convicted by a conventional court are draconian and the concessions he makes to his customers, the community and his shadowy associates is the best he can do.

Play it cool, folks!

When stupid people argue, it's the judge that wins.

Guess what, its none of our problem.

If he chose to play with fire from the start then he should burn in that fire.

No one ever forced him to deal with money laundering scumbags and if that is really the type of people he would associate himself with then its even more reason not to believe a single bit of info he so graciously provided.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
Activity: 336
A return of funds? Not really. But where is the hope of fund returns now after all that has transpired? What is the likelihood of all creditors of Bitcoinica receiving satisfactory compensation from this mysterious Chinese credit fraudster? Seems to me the carrot and stick of "going to the authorities will make it impossible for us to compensate you" has been held out so long that the carrot is looking pretty moldy.

Then there is the remaining Bitcoinica funds which will remain locked until their provenance can be established. Note the exchanges involved say Bitcoinica has been unhelpful in resolving the matter up to this point.

Tell me, why are the vast majority of Bitcoin users not allowed to enlist government support because a few people don't like it? Nothing exists outside of institutional control and protection, and I can assure you most Bitcoin users are more than happy with that.
On the contrary, have no point have I attempted to deny access to legal support. All I've said is that I think you're more likely to see a return by non-legal means.

Its clear that many here disagree with me and to them I say - bravo! I want everyone to initiate legal proceedings and try to put these people behind bars!

BB.
Activity: 434
100%

I like that sentence.
It would be interesting for a change if this could be settled somehow without conventional government involvement.

How - exactly - are you going to persuade MtGox to unfreeze Bitcoinica's account?  They've already said they won't do so until the legal issues are resolved.

I'm not too familiar with the details in this case. But "solving legal issues" doesn't equal "government intervention".

Government intervention could possibly fuck things up even more as they are probably the most ignorant party in all this (both technologically and philosophically).

Nobody seems to think about what tricky situation Zhou Tong may really be in. Perhaps the underworld has been putting pressure on him right from the start.

I forget which country exactly he's from, but maybe the legal punishment he faces when convicted by a conventional court are draconian and the concessions he makes to his customers, the community and his shadowy associates is the best he can do.

Play it cool, folks!

When stupid people argue, it's the judge that wins.

Activity: 868

On the contrary, have no point have I attempted to deny access to legal support. All I've said is that I think you're more likely to see a return by non-legal means.

BB.

I like that sentence.

Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970

BB.

I like that sentence.

So what do you suggest?  Rampant theft and if you get caught you return the funds, no harm no foul?
legendary
Activity: 1190
www.bitcointrading.com
We're not talking about $20, this is like hundreds of thousands of dollars.  We could have almost bought a half dozen Ferraris with the money that has been stolen from Bitcoinica's customers.  Even if you didn't take the money, you were responsible and IMHO it should be YOUR loss.  Since there is a direct link between you and the hack, as outlined in your "Truth 4: Even though there's evidence showing that I'm linked to this hack, I have absolutely no relationship with all previous hacks.", that means you are practically admitting to be involved in this hack.  I think that you should have to pay it back AND suffer a penalty.  If you steal a car, your penalty is not giving the car back, it's giving the car back PLUS JAILTIME BRO.
Pages:
Jump to: