Pages:
Author

Topic: Stephen Reed's Million Dollar Logistic Model - page 3. (Read 123165 times)

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
i think this is a good post,why not update ??

I think during bear season the bulls go in hiding because if any updates were made the trolls will come out in full force and post stupid crap.

But I agree, I would love to see some updates.  A little encouragement sunny days to come in the midst of a cold winter is a nice thing. Wink
Activity: 843
i think this is a good post,why not update ??
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348
Eadem mutata resurgo

I think the model needs to be updated to account for two effects not captured thus far;

i) the chasm of adoption that happens around the first quartile of the population of adopters bell curve that will feed through to the S-curve's cumulative effect. (It will look like a 'pause' in the S-curve)

ii) there isa strong negative feedback effect with any monetary good due to the price perception coupling with supply/demand (google "Griffen good") ... as the price rises(falls) demand strengthens (weakens) ... humans are weird, irrational about money.
Activity: 756
Merit: 502
When can we expect the updated version of this trendline!

seems the trendline needs some revisions
Activity: 770
Merit: 509
well we should hit like 3k this year otherwise I dont see how OP's graphic wuld make sense anymore?
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005
would be nice to have an update on this.

the above chart seems to be pretty accurate as well, might even prove to be more accurate than the model this thread is about.

Would be a bit sad, as it's a MUCH slower model, but can't argue with the charts.

maybe this is all just a temporary bear market and we'll get back on trend, but seeing as the trend is around 10^4 atm and the previous bull markets were all around +0.4 that would mean we'd need to see about 30k in the next bull market.

Which seems quite insane.

At this point that would be more than a 100 fold increase.
legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010
Sorry for the cross-post, but Trolololo's work definitely seems applicable here. Thoughts?

In this OP I will always post the last updated charts:

Calculate today's trendline price HERE

I'd be interested in knowing Stephen Reed's opinion on this Smiley

I, obviously, would, too. Smiley
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
Sorry for the cross-post, but Trolololo's work definitely seems applicable here. Thoughts?

I'd be interested in knowing Stephen Reed's opinion on this Smiley
Activity: 336
Merit: 100
Are we still on track to hit $100,000 USD per bitcoin by the end of 2015?
Activity: 843
why  not update now??
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
World Class Cryptonaire
So the log10 Delta has been reversing for the past 4 days. This is either good news or a small reversal before another drop...
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000
If I had the ability to be rewarded by the network for participating, I'd be happy to keep my bitcoin client online but there is simply no reward that comes directly to me for accepting the very small risk of keeping my client connected.

Can you please elaborate on why keeping Bitcoin Core connected represents a small risk? Not completely clear to me how that opens up an attack vector. Thanks!

I run a Bitcoin node on my network, the core client has an empty wallet so there is no risk of hacking my coins, as they are kept elsewhere. 

The risk is someone may find your client and some how get access to your wallet file and install a key-logger on your PC.
Activity: 660
Merit: 101
Colletrix - Bridging the Physical and Virtual Worl
If I had the ability to be rewarded by the network for participating, I'd be happy to keep my bitcoin client online but there is simply no reward that comes directly to me for accepting the very small risk of keeping my client connected.

Can you please elaborate on why keeping Bitcoin Core connected represents a small risk? Not completely clear to me how that opens up an attack vector. Thanks!
legendary

Activity: 503
Merit: 501
"Theoretically, even without forcing Proof of Stake upon anyone,..."

I was hoping it wouldn't be forced but enticed. If it looks like a consumer wallet, spends like a consumer wallet, therefore it is rewarded as a stakeholder for being a consumer wallet. It doesn't have to be all of the reward for the formulation of a block but enough of a part of it that people sync wallets and become a node on a neighborhood level. This could be worked from the retailers angle as well: I am a gas station, I've got a bitlicense in fact from NY proving so and also a blockchain co signature that I paid $ to the IRS (mixing service hiding actual income of course) so I have proof of retail sales, and I can also prove that the following wallets were retail customers if need be (subpoena required of course), so I provide proof that I know a consumer. Kick in a reward to retailers for being part of the stake and their regulation fees are covered by the network too.

People just don't yet realize how magnetized commerce and blockchains are going to be and anyway, Bitcoin 2.0 is magnitudes more exciting that Bitcoin 1.0 and that's saying something. < evil grin moment > speculators will soon be realizing this...

Bitcoin vs GLD (U.S. Gold EFT) is the orange line, tight correlation since July, being held as an asset. Bitcoin 2.0, sidechains and a clear path forward regarding regulation will allow transactions on the existing network to grow. Right now, bitcoin is trading similar to gold, an asset that can be held when speculation seems dangerous - it's an odd thought I admit. Basically the speculators are absent from bitcoin at the moment, but with guidance they'll be set loose to bid up the promise of sidechains and one clear leader.

More people are seeing it... Brian Kelly (CNBC) @BKBrianKelly  ·  Oct 29 Be careful what you wish for...#bitcoin trading in lockstep with $gld for the last three months...  https://t.co/5yUMUwm00i
legendary
When I read into metcalfe law it states

"Metcalfe's law states that the value of a telecommunications network is proportional to the square of the number of connected users of the system"

You were modelling with number of transaction previously , and have decided now to model with the market cap since you say
 "market cap takes into account the supply of bitcoin that meets the demand of the marginal new adopter".

Buy my basic question here is if every new user who is running a wallet represent the nodes in the network, then is not the number of users a better variable to run the model than no.of transactions or market cap? and this model fits with metcalfe law better than no.of transactions or market cap right!

It would be really difficult to accurately predict the number of users across globe using bitcoin but am I right in what I say?

So why not have a model like this?

Personally, I have not sync'd a Bitcoin wallet in probably 6 months. Nor have I upgraded the client. If I had the ability to be rewarded by the network for participating, I'd be happy to keep my bitcoin client online but there is simply no reward that comes directly to me for accepting the very small risk of keeping my client connected.

There needs to be some sort of proof of stake because altruistic node hosting simply isn't cutting it.

Perhaps someone could eventually figure out what a typical consumer wallet looks like.

Pay a power bill, buy 15 gallons of gasoline, buy groceries - yep, you look exactly like a consumer by your spending habits so you get a satoshi for keeping your wallet in sync with the blockchain.

Otherwise I'm just going to use a centralized wallet host and that's going to reduce the number of participants in the network. So I find it interesting that POW is having a negative effect on the growth of participation in the network.

Theoretically, even without forcing Proof of Stake upon anyone, the more bitcoins a person holds, the more incentive that there will be for them to want to hold their bitcoins on a well secured network, and therefore they will be incentivized to "give back" by way of mining.

Tangentially related to this, the more that someone holds, the more that they will also want to maintain their bitcoins in a completely trustless manner by way of downloading the entire blockchain.

This being said, as far as the necessity of mining is concerned, the fact that a said behavior is proportionally in a person's best interest does not always directly lead to a person choosing to follow through on their best interests. Exhibit A: people's diets and the widespread nature of obesity.

As the saying goes, a fool and their money are soon parted. I would think that those who have been rewarded with the most bitcoins by others over time would likely be smart enough to act in their best interests, as they would have the most to lose if the system failed.

A practical example: Consider the LeBron James' of the world (the rich people out there without any supposed technical savvy, that might not directly act in their best interests, due to their sheer ignorance of the matters at hand). They would not directly know the technical reasons as to why the network needs to be secured, but they would still know, at a basic level, that they need to secure their money somehow, and will thus trust others to secure their money by keeping money it in a bank, referring their questions to financial advisers who ARE in the know.

The banks and financial advisers of the bitcoin world will undoubtedly arise over time, then, and they will be directly responsible for the health of the network. They will stay apprised of the situation and how much of an overall hashrate is necessary, and they will, undoubtedly charge the nontechnical rich for their mining services.
Activity: 503
Merit: 501
When I read into metcalfe law it states

"Metcalfe's law states that the value of a telecommunications network is proportional to the square of the number of connected users of the system"

You were modelling with number of transaction previously , and have decided now to model with the market cap since you say
 "market cap takes into account the supply of bitcoin that meets the demand of the marginal new adopter".

Buy my basic question here is if every new user who is running a wallet represent the nodes in the network, then is not the number of users a better variable to run the model than no.of transactions or market cap? and this model fits with metcalfe law better than no.of transactions or market cap right!

It would be really difficult to accurately predict the number of users across globe using bitcoin but am I right in what I say?

So why not have a model like this?

Personally, I have not sync'd a Bitcoin wallet in probably 6 months. Nor have I upgraded the client. If I had the ability to be rewarded by the network for participating, I'd be happy to keep my bitcoin client online but there is simply no reward that comes directly to me for accepting the very small risk of keeping my client connected.

There needs to be some sort of proof of stake because altruistic node hosting simply isn't cutting it.

Perhaps someone could eventually figure out what a typical consumer wallet looks like.

Pay a power bill, buy 15 gallons of gasoline, buy groceries - yep, you look exactly like a consumer by your spending habits so you get a satoshi for keeping your wallet in sync with the blockchain.

Otherwise I'm just going to use a centralized wallet host and that's going to reduce the number of participants in the network. So I find it interesting that POW is having a negative effect on the growth of participation in the network.
Activity: 496
Merit: 500
Spanish Bitcoin trader
If you take the last 28 days, it's been setting new records for months.
Activity: 77
Merit: 13
Today there is thread at r/bitcoin claiming the number of transactions( excluding popular address) has hit all time high!

and here is the proof

https://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions-excluding-popular?timespan=1year&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=14&show_header=true&scale=0&address=

So how can we take this into account?

They're cherry-picking data. Notice the "daysAverageString=14" term in the URL.
Activity: 756
Merit: 502
Today there is thread at r/bitcoin claiming the number of transactions( excluding popular address) has hit all time high!

and here is the proof

https://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions-excluding-popular?timespan=1year&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=14&show_header=true&scale=0&address=

So how can we take this into account?
Pages:
Jump to: