Pages:
Author

Topic: Stephen Reed's Million Dollar Logistic Model - page 6. (Read 123165 times)

legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005
September 22, 2014, 05:29:06 PM
This is my falsifiable hypothesis: if the 7-day average of the number of transactions excluding popular addresses as calculated by Blockchain.info exceeds 76394, e.g. reaches 80000, then bitcoin price will be rallying into a new bubble.

Among the ways this notion could be wrong is that transaction volume is now including more bitcoin tumblers to provide anonymity, or some other sort of non-commerce transactions, not filtered by Blockchain.info's simple algorithm.

[...]

Or, alternatively, Metcalfe's law doesn't hold for Bitcoin (it's "Metcalfe's conjecture" in reality anyway, as an economic statement), or, alternatively alternatively, Metcalfe's law does hold for the Bitcoin network on a long enough time line, but is a poor predictor for shorter term phenomena such as a the start of a rally.

I think it the second one, metcalfes seems to hold, but since it's not instantaneous, it's not a great indicator for rallies.
Activity: 6
Merit: 0
September 22, 2014, 02:07:54 PM
My short-term analysis for what it’s worth… We saw some crazy trading and random madness at the end of last week, with a drop to $378. Volumes and volatility picked up nicely, but could and should be way better I think. Now it looks ‘business as usual’ again, but somehow I think we didn’t see the capitulation point yet. If we did, I’m not complaining of course lol! But looking back at late 2013, we saw a rather stable price around $125 for some time after some turmoil early September, then a sudden drop to $85 (-/- 33%) on October 2nd. This moment ignited the famous bull run which brought us to $1163 in November 2013. Somehow I’m thinking this type of moment is getting nearer and nearer again. And the drop from $400s towards $378 was probably not enough yet, in my opinion.

So I think we might see the following happening in the upcoming weeks. Price picks up slowly towards $450 (or lower, I’m quite doubtful about higher levels), then we will have another 1 or 2 days of craziness with another firm drop which will definately not be 33% like last year. Because all those % of jumps and drops seem to be getting less extreme over the years. So at $450 we will have a drop of ~25% which will bring us to $340, which happens to be exactly the lowest low we have seen so far after the $1163 top last year. Then, let the sprint begin…
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007
September 22, 2014, 11:39:39 AM
This is my falsifiable hypothesis: if the 7-day average of the number of transactions excluding popular addresses as calculated by Blockchain.info exceeds 76394, e.g. reaches 80000, then bitcoin price will be rallying into a new bubble.

Among the ways this notion could be wrong is that transaction volume is now including more bitcoin tumblers to provide anonymity, or some other sort of non-commerce transactions, not filtered by Blockchain.info's simple algorithm.

[...]

Or, alternatively, Metcalfe's law doesn't hold for Bitcoin (it's "Metcalfe's conjecture" in reality anyway, as an economic statement), or, alternatively alternatively, Metcalfe's law does hold for the Bitcoin network on a long enough time line, but is a poor predictor for shorter term phenomena such as a the start of a rally.
Activity: 686
Merit: 501
Stephen Reed
September 22, 2014, 01:38:25 AM

Obviously you are aware of Peter R's work re: transaction volume, Metcalfe's law, network value and market cap.

I'd be interested to know how far off the log trend of capital value growth, i.e. not price growth, that we are at present ... and what the previous largest deviation was using the capital value metric (not price).

Sorry, that I am very busy with my altcoin development. I will add the data series from Blockchain.info on bitcoins in circulation ...

Total Bitcoins in Circulation (CSV)
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348
Eadem mutata resurgo
September 22, 2014, 12:32:22 AM

Obviously you are aware of Peter R's work re: transaction volume, Metcalfe's law, network value and market cap.

I'd be interested to know how far off the log trend of capital value growth, i.e. not price growth, that we are at present ... and what the previous largest deviation was using the capital value metric (not price).
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005
September 22, 2014, 12:15:00 AM
According to this chart of the smoothed adjusted number of bitcoin transactions, the uptrend of the past few months could, if continued at the same pace, surpass the previous all time high 0f 76394 within two to three more months. In the history of this data series, a new all time high has always been associated with the inflation stage of a price bubble.

i have been following those graphs closely, and i believe they are a good indicator. They also explain why we haven't seen a new ATH yet. Because we are not ready for it. But, we are getting near the point where we are ready.
Activity: 686
Merit: 501
Stephen Reed
September 21, 2014, 05:51:42 PM
According to this chart of the smoothed adjusted number of bitcoin transactions, the uptrend of the past few months could, if continued at the same pace, surpass the previous all time high 0f 76394 within two to three more months. In the history of this data series, a new all time high has always been associated with the inflation stage of a price bubble.

legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848
September 21, 2014, 04:55:15 PM
At what point south of -0.8 log delta does the model need to be adjusted?

I would wait until the next bubble peak to adjust the model, or 2015 whichever is first. The left end of the logistic function is constrained to fit through the first recorded price. The right end of the model, I try to fit so that the recent variation is balanced above and below the line. If I were to fit the line today, I would balance the current price against the peak last November, and the trend line would likely pass through the low price in April 2014.

Thanks to all of you for watching this model unfold.

below -0.9 log delta and the line has gone down vertically in the last few days.
from the stock market-for reversal you typically need a capitulation (1-3 days) with an extremely high volume.
I posit that it will occur before the beginning of November (similarly to 2011 bottom). We seem to be in a purely technical decline right now.
Priceline was in such decline from $900 (split adjusted from 150) to $6 (split adjusted from 1) before it reversed itself and is currently $1186.
legendary
Activity: 2002
Merit: 1040
September 21, 2014, 03:23:13 PM
This thread is in my top five  Grin
September 21, 2014, 02:34:47 PM
You guys might find this clever research also interesting, I'm sure. Volume vs price over several years, indicating we are at the brink of something.

http://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMarkets/comments/2h0b48/daily_discussion_sunday_september_21_2014/cko9o1n
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000
September 21, 2014, 01:26:50 PM
Here is a great reference to the infrastructure growth and price (hint we in for some change.)
See: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8633552

The Jevons_paradox concisely explained.
Total network power consumption is a function of price.

Mining difficulty and hash rate are a function of mining efficiency.

BurtW also outlines the concept of price eras which is a function of difficulty that ultimately drive the total energy consumption of the Bitcoin network.

These price eras when viewed in conjunction with network growth, efficiency growth, available energy and price could in my view plot probable deviations from the Million Dollar Logistic Model mean.

We are at a juncture points now, but just off the top of my head this model may need to be refined to fit the price era data.
September 19, 2014, 06:44:58 AM
Who's to say the bloodletting is over?  Unfortunately, it not only may NOT be over yet -- it may (frighteningly) in fact JUST be getting STARTED.
Maybe, but I don't think so. As you might have noticed, every correction ended above the previous top so far. That's not only a bullish sign for a long term investment in bitcoin, it is also an indication that we should stay above $266 this time. Currently my bets are on the 340 level to hold.

Nevertheless, the bitcoin rollercoaster is a pretty wild ride, and tickets are not for the weak of heart indeed. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348
Eadem mutata resurgo
September 18, 2014, 09:00:24 PM
Slippery slope, could you please post two graphs for me keeping everything the same but the target bitcoin price at $250,000 and one at $500,000? I'm curious as to how the price would tie in with the trend lines.

I'd also like to see one using log "market cap" instead of log price ... i.e. a sigmoid curve targetting $17 T  ~2018
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
World Class Cryptonaire
September 18, 2014, 07:56:53 PM
Slippery slope, could you please post two graphs for me keeping everything the same but the target bitcoin price at $250,000 and one at $500,000? I'm curious as to how the price would tie in with the trend lines.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
September 18, 2014, 07:00:12 PM
So, 10K when?
Activity: 608
Merit: 509
September 18, 2014, 09:52:02 AM
2011 wave - correction from $31.91 top to $1.99 low (-/- 93%)
2013 wave - correction from $266 top to $55 low (-/- 79%)
2013/2014 wave - correction from $1163 top to $340 low (-/- 71%)

So yes, a correction of 50% - 60% is indeed very likely for the next wave.

That 2011 wave is the one I cut-and-pasted, flipped horizontal & vertical (purple colored) to show what it'd look like as a down-version rather than the extreme UP version that it was, back then.  

So, yeah, 93% = OUCH!! Ugly, man... UGLY.

But ya also can't really say here that the 2013-14 wave is "71%" to $340 low, since there's not been another ATH yet.

Who's to say the bloodletting is over?  Unfortunately, it not only may NOT be over yet -- it may (frighteningly) in fact JUST be getting STARTED.

How can we know, for sure? We can make educated GUESSES about what's going on, but we can't really KNOW anything.

And IF we apply that ugly 93% from 2011 to last year's $1163? We're back again to that horrible $100-ish value.  "AAAAAAA"  Shocked

But, again, this is NORMAL.  
This is BITCOIN.  
THIS is what bitcoin DOES.
Bitcoin is crazy.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

BUT THE TRENDLINE WOULD STILL BE "TRUTH"   Grin

But how many people, even "believers" here, really have the stomach for that?

I have. I prefer not to, but I have the stomach for that.

I do too, man... like I said I'm preparing for it: I wrote this post probably just to test myself about if I'm really correct to think this way, or if such "belief" in the trendline is actually stupid, or blind, or naive, or wishful thinking, or something else, LOL.

IF this kind of extreme scenario is possible?  I want to be psychologically ready to weather that storm, because the payoff on this once in a lifetime type of opportunity is definitely worth it.  $30K per BTC next year would be life-changing: I missed out on BTC going from $10 to $100 even though I should've known better (I had plenty of opportunity to see it, multiple chances and many signs, and I just didn't LOOK hard enough & been kicking myself for a year now over that).  But NOW finally I can SEE it (??) and I don't wanna miss the train again.

Anyway, IMHO either you believe bitcoin and the blockchain concept is valuable and useful and world-changing, or you don't.

Buy The Bitcoin,  Take The Ride... LOL

Grin  Cheesy  Wink  Cool  

September 18, 2014, 04:55:14 AM
If our history shows anything it's that a 50% correction is highly likely.
The figures for the most important bitcoin cycles so far are as follows.

2011 wave - correction from $31.91 top to $1.99 low (-/- 93%)
2013 wave - correction from $266 top to $55 low (-/- 79%)
2013/2014 wave - correction from $1163 top to $340 low (-/- 71%)

So yes, a correction of 50% - 60% is indeed very likely for the next wave.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
September 17, 2014, 06:16:25 PM

I have. I prefer not to, but I have the stomach for that.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
September 17, 2014, 05:21:53 PM
I'd say same upside prediction but we are 99% likely not going to go below $340, and 100% not going to go below $266...my 2 bits fwiw.
Activity: 608
Merit: 509
September 17, 2014, 03:58:25 PM
You are predicting 31k (almost 70 times today's price) exactly one year out and you're saying you don't want to frighten anyone  Cheesy

Ha, wachtwoord... naw I ain't "predicting" nothin'... it's SR's chart, trendline, Risto's etc... I'm just looking at it and hopeful it might really be true?

Just sayin' that IF so, IF the trendline's still "truth" and IF we might end up at that 31K price next autumn?  The benefits of that might only come to those who can pay the price of having to HOLD ON thru it first touching a hundred bucks or so again.

AND... that's "normal"  Shocked  -- nothing much odd for this trendline & bitcoin's history.

Bitcoin is crazy.  LOL... so I think personally I gotta believe a little "crazy" too in order to be prepared to cope with whatever's gonna happen next in BTCWorld.

And no, Ask... I've never short-sold: I'm strictly a HODL'er although, yes, my dollar-cost average at the moment is something in the low $600's-ish, so yah unfortunately I'm actually in the red with my overall BTC investment, so far... *but* I'm still hodlin' and lookin' to buy more if at all possible.
Pages:
Jump to: