Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1610. (Read 3049505 times)

legendary
Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin
September 24, 2013, 04:05:41 PM
I've already paid 240USD for shipping, but I'm looking at ways to improve my ROI, so saving on delivery is one of them + maybe safer and quicker + I get to see Stockholm (again).

Is your $240 for both miners? or each? and how did you choose the express method?

My shipping to canada is $136.80 per miner and I never had an option to choose any method.  It just says UPS ZONE 7.

And as far as I know according to the UPS zone chart, UPS ZONE 7 = importing from the United States, so I don't know what that's about.

$120.40 per Miner and no options to select. Carl told me over the phone it is UPS Express Saver.
Seems a bit expensive for delivery to UK, when you pay $136 to get it to Canada.
I'm UPS Zone 3.

I use UPS all the time. $120.40 for UPS Express Saver from Sweden to UK for something of that weight is not expensive at all, in fact is pretty much OK.

Then the guy from Canada should thank KNC for offering such a discounted price on delivery Smiley

What could be a disguting surprise is the custom fees that may apply if it is concidered as import from USA !!
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
September 24, 2013, 04:01:23 PM

They said, or rather Sam has said, can I make the weekend, this one?

A quick question: How do you plan on getting that miner back to the UK?
I'm asking because I've paid over 240USD for delivery and I'd rather get a ticket and bring them back myself, but I don't think they will survive in the checked in luggage and will not fit in the carry on luggage.

Lol when I first inquired months back, Sam said it would fit in hand luggage. that beast does not meet any hand luggage requirements I know of, but I reckon a clean swipe could take out one of Ryanair's boarding trolls. It may have to be checked in, in a bag with a lot of socks. This is another dilema. Train would take to long, but don't those now have elec outlets and free wifi??

Anyone know how X-rays affect SSD's? (assuming the OS will be written to SSD) since the thing will probably have to go through security's X-ray

It has no effect.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
September 24, 2013, 03:58:37 PM

They said, or rather Sam has said, can I make the weekend, this one?

A quick question: How do you plan on getting that miner back to the UK?
I'm asking because I've paid over 240USD for delivery and I'd rather get a ticket and bring them back myself, but I don't think they will survive in the checked in luggage and will not fit in the carry on luggage.

Lol when I first inquired months back, Sam said it would fit in hand luggage. that beast does not meet any hand luggage requirements I know of, but I reckon a clean swipe could take out one of Ryanair's boarding trolls. It may have to be checked in, in a bag with a lot of socks. This is another dilema. Train would take to long, but don't those now have elec outlets and free wifi??

Anyone know how X-rays affect SSD's? (assuming the OS will be written to SSD) since the thing will probably have to go through security's X-ray
soy
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013
September 24, 2013, 03:50:10 PM
I have a question, and am not trying to be a troll or anything, this is legit as I don't understand it and would like some clarity from someone who does understand it.

When the chip and the circuit board meet, doesn't there need to be some kind of testing to make sure the components are all working properly together?  I know a lot of other companies struggled with this and took awhile to get things done.  That's why folks like Avalon and BFL sent sample chips out so the guys making the boards and everything had time to tweak their designs.  So why does it seem like KNC is just slapping the chip on the board and shipping it out?  Or do they have both the chips and the boards now and are doing the tweaking as we speak?  Does this have something to do with the fact that they took the design from an FPGA and didn't do any work on it, so that they know exactly what they need and it doesn't require tweaking?

Just trying to understand the process and why they can slap everything together in a weekend and be done with it, where others took a lot longer to do (What seems) like the same thing.

I don't recall exactly what interface KnC using.  I wonder if the ball grid array in general was preferred over pins for the cost benefit or if it had to do with switching speed and spurious signal transmission in the radio frequency range.  But, BGA seems to have a higher failure rate than a pin/socket arrangement I think.  I'm not well versed in these matters so this is just speculation.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
September 24, 2013, 03:45:19 PM
So, Bitcoinorama: are you going to be in Stockholm during the weekend? Maybe Monday?

Looks like they're confident enough to ask me to get a flight, so erm i think so. I mean to be fair I was always assuming I would be before, or around this point, but was beginning to question this internally recently myself. This really sounds like it will be down to the absolute wire, if they pull this off.

Just for clarity: they asked you to get a plane ticket - for when? When are you arriving to Stockholm? When will you return home?

I think this info is important in order to know when they expect to have the first units in hand.

From an Operational Security perspective you shouldn't ask him to disclose how / when he is travelling considering some of the nut-jobs on this forum. and the mixed demeanor towards him. Any endeavor where someone else money is on the line it is better to tread cautiously...

Just my two cents / military paranoia kicking in. Food for thought.

FWIW blatantly I'm not giving that info out. You want hashing vids, and a write-up from the wee hours, happy to oblige. But other Day oners should be making themselves known if they can pick up in Stockholm at a moments notice, inc. Mon PM if needs be.
Activity: 196
September 24, 2013, 03:43:01 PM
So, Bitcoinorama: are you going to be in Stockholm during the weekend? Maybe Monday?

Looks like they're confident enough to ask me to get a flight, so erm i think so. I mean to be fair I was always assuming I would be before, or around this point, but was beginning to question this internally recently myself. This really sounds like it will be down to the absolute wire, if they pull this off.

Just for clarity: they asked you to get a plane ticket - for when? When are you arriving to Stockholm? When will you return home?

I think this info is important in order to know when they expect to have the first units in hand.

From an Operational Security perspective you shouldn't ask him to disclose how / when he is travelling considering some of the nut-jobs on this forum. and the mixed demeanor towards him. Any endeavor where someone else money is on the line it is better to tread cautiously...

Just my two cents / military paranoia kicking in. Food for thought.

Activity: 574
Merit: 501
September 24, 2013, 03:32:12 PM
Opinions and assholes.   Everyone has one.  Why contract it out, if they felt like taking a break from behind their desks, and doing it themselves?  Does everyone in the fucking world have to try to second guess how they run their operation Huh   Jesus...
A break is in order AFTER they ship the goods.  Who died and left you in charge of policing opinions?  Shocked

Nobody.  The exact same person who died and left you in charge of deciding who should build KNC's data center...
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Updated ironic image.
September 24, 2013, 03:32:04 PM
Just trying to understand the process and why they can slap everything together in a weekend and be done with it, where others took a lot longer to do (What seems) like the same thing.

Because KNC are professionals and have done this kind of thing before (unlike unnamed others)?
Activity: 210
September 24, 2013, 03:30:50 PM
I have a question, and am not trying to be a troll or anything, this is legit as I don't understand it and would like some clarity from someone who does understand it.

When the chip and the circuit board meet, doesn't there need to be some kind of testing to make sure the components are all working properly together?  I know a lot of other companies struggled with this and took awhile to get things done.  That's why folks like Avalon and BFL sent sample chips out so the guys making the boards and everything had time to tweak their designs.  So why does it seem like KNC is just slapping the chip on the board and shipping it out?  Or do they have both the chips and the boards now and are doing the tweaking as we speak?  Does this have something to do with the fact that they took the design from an FPGA and didn't do any work on it, so that they know exactly what they need and it doesn't require tweaking?

The answer, my boy, is the famed Swedish engineering, as exacting and precise as the proverbial Swedish watch!

Wait... was it Swedish?  Swiss??

Anyhow, they can make watches everywhere now -- it's no big deal Angry
Activity: 729
September 24, 2013, 03:21:27 PM

Activity: 602
September 24, 2013, 03:17:10 PM
My big toe tells me that they will assembly over the weekend and deliver day1 and day2 on monday Smiley
Activity: 111
September 24, 2013, 03:14:08 PM

Opinions and assholes.   Everyone has one.  Why contract it out, if they felt like taking a break from behind their desks, and doing it themselves?  Does everyone in the fucking world have to try to second guess how they run their operation Huh   Jesus...
A break is in order AFTER they ship the goods.  Who died and left you in charge of policing opinions?  Shocked
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022
Anarchy is not chaos.
September 24, 2013, 03:07:46 PM

So yeah, 6 days effectively to produce and send the first 700+ units.

Wrong. Effective days of production begin only AFTER receiving the chips!, they have posted a video of a circuit board without chips because they obviously don't have them yet, rest assured the moment they have them in Sweden you'll see pics/videos.

Untrue. They could do almost every subassembly prior to receiving the chips.
September 24, 2013, 03:07:34 PM
Opinions and assholes.   Everyone has one.  Why contract it out, if they felt like taking a break from behind their desks, and doing it themselves?  Does everyone in the fucking world have to try to second guess how they run their operation Huh   Jesus...
Activity: 111
September 24, 2013, 02:59:40 PM
http://www.orsoc.se/?p=508

KNCminer offering first class BTCitcoin mining products with high performance.
In our partnership ORSoC will be responsible for product development, including design, production and testing.
Our technical expertise together with excellent vendor partnership we feel confident we quickly can design and produce an affordable high performance mining product.
More information about KNCminer available at www.kncminer.com
Questions regarding these products are handled by KNCminer.

IMHO, KNC should be spending more time relaying progress reports from Orsoc, and less time getting blisters assembling a data center that they should have contracted out in the first place.  I feel like a mushroom.
September 24, 2013, 02:25:43 PM
You can't be too unpopular - your ignore button isn't the slightest bit yellow....   Grin

Man, would I ever love to get that case full of stuff for Christmas....
Activity: 616
September 24, 2013, 02:23:01 PM

If you are that concerned why not take the courier option. For sure the women are 1000% worth the visit just to keep rubbing your eyes and pinching yourself in disbelief. No sh*t, really, it's unnnreal. I wouldn't risk taking anything apart, no container will be more protective than that metal casing, and you'll for sure void warranty dude.

Are you not concerned for your miner?

I've already paid 240USD for shipping, but I'm looking at ways to improve my ROI, so saving on delivery is one of them + maybe safer and quicker + I get to see Stockholm (again).

Yes, I just haven't thought about it yet. I'd been quietly wondering when/if this side of Oct they planned any delivery. Now I have like 3-4 days to suddenly buy a ticket, throw stuff in a bag, make some excuses this side of the weekend and figure out what to do with a miner that's clearly larger than carry-on. I have one of those boblebee bags, I'm wondering with the camera case attachment I can separate the boards and use it as handheld. That will for sure void warranty, but it's a hard shell case with a soft structured inner. Will customs ask random q's?! The case could travel in hold. Undecided

Didn't Bono pay $10k for his favourite hat to travel first class in it's own seat when he forgot it?

I would suggest a nice Pelican case. Hard body, water proof, rollers, build in handle, and lockable. Also they frequently are used on flights by people with expensive electronics without issue. I have a nice large one for such occasion, and it's wonderful.

If they can destroy the Pelican case, there are far  greater concerns about the flight itself.

Actually you are spot on there, my dad's got a few of those for cameras, and that is a lot more fragile and abused with frequent travelling, plus it comes with custom foam inserts.

Like this:

http://www.pelishop.com/peli-1560-case.html

Exactly. I love them. I have a large one which could fit a Jupiter. They're great.

I know some folks on here don't like me.. but I actually do try to help lol. I want to see how KNC does. I'm not a customer, I missed the early order dates. Still, I like keeping an eye out on what I believe are good companies.
September 24, 2013, 02:22:09 PM
I respect KNC for upping the game as an ASIC company not as a fan or reseller,but their service really is great in my experience and can't wait to see some final hashing speeds and mining hardware with members.
September 24, 2013, 02:13:08 PM

If you are that concerned why not take the courier option. For sure the women are 1000% worth the visit just to keep rubbing your eyes and pinching yourself in disbelief. No sh*t, really, it's unnnreal. I wouldn't risk taking anything apart, no container will be more protective than that metal casing, and you'll for sure void warranty dude.

Are you not concerned for your miner?

Yes, I just haven't thought about it yet. I'd been quietly wondering when/if this side of Oct they planned any delivery. Now I have like 3-4 days to suddenly buy a ticket, throw stuff in a bag, make some excuses this side of the weekend and figure out what to do with a miner that's clearly larger than carry-on. I have one of those boblebee bags, I'm wondering with the camera case attachment I can separate the boards and use it as handheld. That will for sure void warranty, but it's a hard shell case with a soft structured inner. Will customs ask random q's?! The case could travel in hold. Undecided

Didn't Bono pay $10k for his favourite hat to travel first class in it's own seat when he forgot it?

I would suggest a nice Pelican case. Hard body, water proof, rollers, build in handle, and lockable. Also they frequently are used on flights by people with expensive electronics without issue. I have a nice large one for such occasion, and it's wonderful.

If they can destroy the Pelican case, there are far  greater concerns about the flight itself.

Actually you are spot on there, my dad's got a few of those for cameras, and that is a lot more fragile and abused with frequent travelling, plus it comes with custom foam inserts.

Like this:

http://www.pelishop.com/peli-1560-case.html
Activity: 812
Merit: 502
September 24, 2013, 02:04:04 PM

Is your $240 for both miners? or each? and how did you choose the express method?

My shipping to canada is $136.80 per miner and I never had an option to choose any method.  It just says UPS ZONE 7.

And as far as I know according to the UPS zone chart, UPS ZONE 7 = importing from the United States, so I don't know what that's about.

$120.40 per Miner and no options to select. Carl told me over the phone it is UPS Express Saver.
Seems a bit expensive for delivery to UK, when you pay $136 to get it to Canada.
I'm UPS Zone 3.

I use UPS all the time. $120.40 for UPS Express Saver from Sweden to UK for something of that weight is not expensive at all, in fact is pretty much OK.

Then the guy from Canada should thank KNC for offering such a discounted price on delivery Smiley
Jump to: