Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1615. (Read 3049505 times)

Activity: 242
Merit: 250
September 24, 2013, 10:43:50 AM
So, 6 days to go (weekend in between) ~150mill difficulty in less than 2 days and not single chip tested on a real unit, hell not even a pic of a packaged chip and at least 890 orders (day1+day2 many of several units) to fulfill... Saying this is tight is a huge understament.

I'm a day 1 customer and I do have respect for them, but in my book in terms of schedule this isn't overdelivering by any means. Even if they are able to give tracking numbers by next monday (which is what I think will happen so they can claim the kept their promise).

legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
- - -Caveat Aleo- - -
September 24, 2013, 10:43:18 AM
Does placing one device in their hosting center on Sept. 30th count? I'm starting to think this may be the best case scenario.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
September 24, 2013, 10:40:42 AM
These things aren't being manufactured on the starship Enterprise, no teleporters or replicators to instantly crate or transport components and they won't be configured by a moaning scottish engineer at the last minute to produce 110% more power either.

In the real world even trivial things take time, especially if you need it to be done well enough.
The list of things left to be done in so few days is not trivial.

And yeah you sarcastic arse, I have years of production manufacturing experience...not in electronics primarily but the principles are the same in general.

I'm reminded of that guy falling from a building who says he's fine all the way down..it's only at the final moment that his optimism and refusal to see what's really going on dawns on him and then it's a bit late.

Yes... Sure... and in your years of manufacturing experience you did not ONCE come across a production line? Seems that way to me. Since I worked part-time, for most of my pre-university education, on a professional manufacturing line and I can tell you from experience that if all parts are available - I (and I was NOT by far the fastest one) could put together more than 8 PCB's per hour, and those were by far more complex than this one. So close that silly mouth of yours and think again what bullshit you want to spout here. Even if they have those assembled in a small manufacturing company with only 10 people working on them they can easily push out more than 1000 PCB's per day. AND who the hell said that they started assembly the moment the video was posted? They could have started 3 days before, or even 5. Who says they started only after all parts were available? At the company I worked we partly assembled all the time and got the job still done. So who the fuck cares if you have years of experience if you don't even know the simplest of processes and how much a single worker bee can do in a day?

Hi Mota.  You seem very sure of yourself.  I propose a gentleman's bet:

If KNC ships as promised, in September, i will publicly apologise to you, on this forum, and forever stop posting on Bitcointalk.org, effective October 1st, 2013.
If KNC fails to ship as promised, in September, *YOU* will publicly  apologise to me, on this forum, and forever stop posting on Bitcointalk.org, effective October 1st, 2013.
Deal? (we can finalize the details in subsequent posts)
legendary
Activity: 804
Merit: 1002
September 24, 2013, 10:40:36 AM
Naw, I am just getting pissed off, not only armchair EE's, now we even have Manufacturing/Production Line "Experts" here.
Activity: 308
Merit: 251
The realist
September 24, 2013, 10:37:54 AM
Few days to go. The air is starting to get heavy in this thread Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 804
Merit: 1002
September 24, 2013, 10:28:28 AM
These things aren't being manufactured on the starship Enterprise, no teleporters or replicators to instantly crate or transport components and they won't be configured by a moaning scottish engineer at the last minute to produce 110% more power either.

In the real world even trivial things take time, especially if you need it to be done well enough.

And yeah you sarcastic arse, I have years of production manufacturing experience...not in electronics primarily but the principles are the same in general.

I'm reminded of that guy falling from a building who says he's fine all the way down..it's only at the final moment that his optimism and refusal to see what's really going on dawns on him and then it's a bit late.

Yes... Sure... and in your years of manufacturing experience you did not ONCE come across a production line? Seems that way to me. Since I worked part-time, for most of my pre-university education, on a professional manufacturing line and I can tell you from experience that if all parts are available - I (and I was NOT by far the fastest one) could put together more than 8 PCB's per hour, and those were by far more complex than this one. So close that silly mouth of yours and think again what bullshit you want to spout here. Even if they have those assembled in a small manufacturing company with only 10 people working on them they can easily push out more than 1000 PCB's per day. AND who the hell said that they started assembly the moment the video was posted? They could have started 3 days before, or even 5. Who says they started only after all parts were available? At the company I worked we partly assembled all the time and got the job still done. So who the fuck cares if you have years of experience if you don't even know the simplest of processes and how much a single worker bee can do in a day?
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1077
^ Will code for Bitcoins
September 24, 2013, 10:23:53 AM
Is there any proof that the chips are finished? I guess if they want to ship in a week the should have the chips by now?

There is no proof, since chips are still in China, but it doesn't matter because:
1) Machines will be in customers houses in six days no matter where the chips are
2) Bond, James Bond will deliver them to Sweden in his magic briefcase just in time
3) You don't need the proof, "you have to beleive™"
Sorry, just couldn't help myself  Cheesy.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
September 24, 2013, 10:19:16 AM
See. that makes no fucking sense at all. Posting a video of something that was done weeks ago as a teaser at this point?
23rd Sept:
"Its a very short clip but we do have some parts beginning to be assembled today. we expect full production to start in the next few days, and yes its tight but we are still on track. Sam... "
Activity: 574
Merit: 256
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
September 24, 2013, 10:16:09 AM
The first reply from KNC regarding enabling NMC merge mining within the KNC pool was that the miners only support BTC.   I did my best to explain where this configuration was set and tried to further explain that this is not a hardware change. 

I asked them to forward the question to the operator of the pool if they knew that at this time-- if not we can revisit this later this month.

No response from byteminr yet.

Hi - we'll be adding more pools as soon as we can after launch. KnC may or may not support merge mining (we'll be pushing them on this too) and as soon as they do, it will roll to our customers too!

Adrian
www.byteminr.com
legendary
Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014
September 24, 2013, 10:15:16 AM
Sorry to bump in without reading up on all the pages in this thread.
Is there any proof that the chips are finished? I guess if they want to ship in a week the should have the chips by now?
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
September 24, 2013, 10:14:24 AM
they won't be configured by a moaning scottish engineer at the last minute to produce 110% more power either.

This is perhaps the saddest part of all.
Activity: 1176
Merit: 265
September 24, 2013, 10:10:19 AM

Activity: 574
Merit: 501
September 24, 2013, 09:57:53 AM
I must say, I'm absolutely amazed by the incredibly large number of electronic manufacturing experts that hang out on this thread. 

Oh...  Wait...
September 24, 2013, 09:53:57 AM
See. that makes no fucking sense at all. Posting a video of something that was done weeks ago as a teaser at this point?
I saw the pic of the board and heatsinks too, and based on that I assumed they were on top of that and we were just waiting for chips ...then up pops that video teaser of them apparently manufacturing boards?

In their place and pushed for time they should be sitting ready for the chips now. This is no place for JIT practices, it's a race.
Activity: 616
September 24, 2013, 09:35:08 AM
The boards in that video were fully populated with everything but the ASIC and a heatsink.
Nope, only SMD components were in place.

Of course, we can't know how old this video is. It could be from the prototype run from many weeks ago.
Activity: 308
Merit: 251
The realist
September 24, 2013, 09:08:31 AM
That's IF the chips come out flawlessly on spec/power.
Activity: 532
September 24, 2013, 08:45:20 AM
And that reassures you?

honestly, in this phase I can't imagine the answer, which will reassures me more.) but as I mentioned previously in this thread, is hard to believe, that they are able to assemble, test, package and ship hundreds of boxes within few days.

I stand with my pre order couple of months, so last few days are like nothing.)

I thought it would be very close, then they posted that video of the boards being manufactured ...cast a lot of doubt for me. After all, they were talking about the boards being tested weeks ago and posting pics of them. I assumed they'd got that job well under way or complete by now just ready for chips until that comment about "millions of components arriving" , and now that video making sense of the comment. A lot to do in days, and that assumes all runs smoothly.

I still think that simply packing and shipping and setting up the pool details etc. which are nothing to do with manufacturing isn't a minor endevour and will take some time. Not to mention populating that data centre. Very labour intensive stuff that needs to be done right.

Dude they ran a caption competition and stated they were ordering the revisions like a couple of weeks back. The boards in that video were fully populated with everything but the ASIC and a heatsink. Chips comes in, solder balls heated and affixed, screwed to casing, heatsink mounted, wires connected to controller board and fire it up.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
September 24, 2013, 08:29:53 AM
Since beginning KNC were straight company. I can understand why they have started to take preorders. But why to take preorders to november delivery since that is also an risk for buyers and miner price is based on diff change prediction.
KNC was honest and was aware of it, they were aginst preorder model but it was needed to make the asic miners in the first place. Now when they made it why to continue to have preorders? Why just do not built x stock unit and sell them at x price with imidate shipping? Risk is again on their customers. I know that they can refund it at any time but why KNC has to have locked our money?
What has changed since several months ago? Nothing, preorder model are still in the full bloom!

probably because of the competitors. if you had a company selling such devices and see the pre-order orgies happening with competition you may ask yourself: do i want to watch this millions going to the competition or do i want to make my product "available" now to get a share of the pie ?  

I agree.  Watching the "pre-order orgies" from the sidelines is no fun.  But the straight-laced Mother Superior act begins to crumble once the habit is under the bed & you're covered with Strawberry KY Undecided
September 24, 2013, 08:22:15 AM
And that reassures you?

honestly, in this phase I can't imagine the answer, which will reassures me more.) but as I mentioned previously in this thread, is hard to believe, that they are able to assemble, test, package and ship hundreds of boxes within few days.

I stand with my pre order couple of months, so last few days are like nothing.)

I thought it would be very close, then they posted that video of the boards being manufactured ...cast a lot of doubt for me. After all, they were talking about the boards being tested weeks ago and posting pics of them. I assumed they'd got that job well under way or complete by now just ready for chips until that comment about "millions of components arriving" , and now that video making sense of the comment. A lot to do in days, and that assumes all runs smoothly.

I still think that simply packing and shipping and setting up the pool details etc. which are nothing to do with manufacturing isn't a minor endevour and will take some time. Not to mention populating that data centre. Very labour intensive stuff that needs to be done right.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
September 24, 2013, 08:17:54 AM
Since beginning KNC were straight company. I can understand why they have started to take preorders. But why to take preorders to november delivery since that is also an risk for buyers and miner price is based on diff change prediction.
KNC was honest and was aware of it, they were aginst preorder model but it was needed to make the asic miners in the first place. Now when they made it why to continue to have preorders? Why just do not built x stock unit and sell them at x price with imidate shipping? Risk is again on their customers. I know that they can refund it at any time but why KNC has to have locked our money?
What has changed since several months ago? Nothing, preorder model are still in the full bloom!

probably because of the competitors. if you had a company selling such devices and see the pre-order orgies happening with competition you may ask yourself: do i want to watch this millions going to the competition or do i want to make my product "available" now to get a share of the pie ?  
I agree with you and came on the same conclusion. However somebody need to be first to offer with medium profit and not to squezze out every btc they can, now. (aside AM what have different story).
KNC did discused about preorder model many times and was against it and imply that they will use it only once as startup capital.
Jump to: