Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1796. (Read 3049501 times)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250
August 22, 2013, 04:25:49 PM
I've spoken personally to a couple people now about their dealings with TerraHash as well and it's not favorable at all?  What is going to happen, people like Intel and Samsung coming in and crushing all the small time players?  I am just looking for my small piece of the pie here.

Just buy bitcoins then. Or buy from a company that has stock in hand already, like bitfury. If you want to take a risk and invest into a pre-order I would suggest going with KnC. Also make sure you check out http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/

Is http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/ the best calc to use at this point?  I see a bunch of them out there and this seems to be the only one that is either very accurate or is the least favorable.

It's very pessimistic, it takes into account the compunded exponential rise in hashrate, rather than a fixed rate over time, that's why it's become popular. It's not accurate though, nothing can be unless it can foresee the Bitcoin SP, and related price fluctuations.

Also it bases prices of kit bought in November and beyond on what details we have now. Miners won't be selling for those prices come Jan. They will have to be priced more competitively.

Crucially for KnC buyers is what happens between Sept and Jan and how quick we can plug in units configured to wallets, which is also out of out hands currently...

Bitcoinorama, I noticed you said "we" in your last line....I take it you are a buyer of at least one of these units then? I do recall you stating early on that you were interested in a possible PR type job with an ASIC company....but I don't recall you stating that you were also a buyer of a KNC UNIT.

Just checking is all....
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
August 22, 2013, 04:25:35 PM

Is http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/ the best calc to use at this point?  I see a bunch of them out there and this seems to be the only one that is either very accurate or is the least favorable.

It's very pessimistic, it takes into account the compunded exponential rise in hashrate, rather than a fixed rate over time, that's why it's become popular. It's not accurate though, nothing can be unless it can foresee the Bitcoin SP, and related price fluctuations.

What do you mean? Isn't the rise exponential?

Yes but the SP isn't fixed, is it? Although we can assume within a standard deviation there is some accuracy without a significant newsworthy change occurring to impact it either positively, or negatively.

If you wish to factor out the fluctuating BTC price, simply assume that you have bought coin @ market rate for the price of the miner.  
Glad to have helped to dispel uncertainty Roll Eyes
Edit: What FeedbackLoop sez.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
August 22, 2013, 04:22:50 PM

Yes but the SP isn't fixed, is it? Although we can assume within a standard deviation there is some accuracy without a significant newsworthy change occurring to impact it either positively, or negatively.

What's SP?

Sorry you use it in trading, it means 'stock price', or 'sale price'. I was referring to the BTC/USD exchange price.

But if the miner is only profitable (in USD) if the exchange rate increases then you are better off buying BTC upfront. I don't see the point of calculations assuming a variable exchange rate.

Activity: 125
August 22, 2013, 04:20:12 PM
Your specs simply don't match what was given, and the modules are sold under many names.

They have multiple modules, hence 320A.  Top of the datasheet: "4.5Vdc –14.4Vdc input; 0.45Vdc to 2.0Vdc output; 40A Output Current".   Same as KNC posted.
How do you even type?
Activity: 532
August 22, 2013, 04:19:08 PM

What's SP?

Sorry it's a trading term, or rather an acronym. It means 'stock price', or 'sale price'. I was referring to the BTC/USD exchange rate.

With respect to any of the calcs, you can only assume a preferred figure, but any perceived price is impossible to calculate with any accuracy. If it falls, you loose until the price increases, if it increases significantly then all the exponential hashrate increase and electricity costs bare less significance. That said of it increases significantly you can bet your ass more units will sell and more manufacturers will appear as it will once again become an attractive proposition until such point that profit/electricity costs become unbearable for some to continue mining.
August 22, 2013, 04:16:35 PM

What's SP?

August 22, 2013, 04:09:58 PM

Not sure what the relevance of a part made by lineage?  Didn't KNC state the power supply used in from GE Critical Power?

If you will kindly draw your attention to the footer of each page of the datasheet.

Kindly draw your attention to what KNC just told you...

Man, is it too hard for people to load a PDF and also realize Lineage Power is owned by GE?  Here's a hint "©2012 General Electric Company. All rights reserved.".  I hope you cannot reproduce as I would hate to see your poor genetics further degrading the human race.

Edit:  Also their webpage is all GE branding.  Please die in a fire immediately.
August 22, 2013, 04:07:28 PM

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
LIR DEV
August 22, 2013, 04:07:02 PM

Not sure what the relevance of a part made by lineage?  Didn't KNC state the power supply used in from GE Critical Power?

If you will kindly draw your attention to the footer of each page of the datasheet.

Kindly draw your attention to what KNC just told you...

Not once, but twice, lol
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
August 22, 2013, 04:04:45 PM
I've spoken personally to a couple people now about their dealings with TerraHash as well and it's not favorable at all?  What is going to happen, people like Intel and Samsung coming in and crushing all the small time players?  I am just looking for my small piece of the pie here.

Just buy bitcoins then. Or buy from a company that has stock in hand already, like bitfury. If you want to take a risk and invest into a pre-order I would suggest going with KnC. Also make sure you check out http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/

Also it bases prices of kit bought in November and beyond on what details we have now. Miners won't be selling for those prices come Jan. They will have to be priced more competitively.

Crucially for KnC buyers is what happens between Sept and Jan and how quick we can plug in units configured to wallets, which is also out of out hands currently...

Great info guys, really dig everyones in depth knowledge here about all of this.  Another question relating to the calc was the listing of other hardware vendors.  Has anyone talked to or have dealings with any of the other vendors.  More specifically:

Hash Fast
Cointerra
Bitfury

August 22, 2013, 04:01:47 PM

August 22, 2013, 03:57:00 PM

Not sure what the relevance of a part made by lineage?  Didn't KNC state the power supply used in from GE Critical Power?

August 22, 2013, 03:56:54 PM

August 22, 2013, 03:55:20 PM

Wow! That is quite bad! Been a while since I did the calculation. And it assumes mtgox exchange rate.  Sad

I sure hope they come significantly above specs and before the end of September.

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
August 22, 2013, 03:47:28 PM
What is going to happen, people like Intel and Samsung coming in and crushing all the small time players? 

No.  Of all the risks this isn't one.  Total annual bitcoin revenue is a rounding error for a company like Samsung or Intel.  In theory (and I am not saying it is likely) some years or decades from now when Bitcoin is many magnitudes larger it might attract the interest of a major semiconductor company however by then the Bitcoin ASIC companies who have survived will have years of experience.  A big player would simply buy the company outright to hit the ground running. 
Not possible imo, but if price gets at 1000 before Christmas not sure they will be still not interested!
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
August 22, 2013, 03:46:59 PM

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
August 22, 2013, 03:46:49 PM

Not sure what the relevance of a part made by lineage?  Didn't KNC state the power supply used in from GE Critical Power?
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
August 22, 2013, 03:45:20 PM
What is going to happen, people like Intel and Samsung coming in and crushing all the small time players? 

No.  Of all the risks this isn't one.  Total annual bitcoin revenue is a rounding error for a company like Samsung or Intel.  In theory (and I am not saying it is likely) some years or decades from now when Bitcoin is many magnitudes larger it might attract the interest of a major semiconductor company however by then the Bitcoin ASIC companies who have survived will have years of experience.  A big player would simply buy the company outright to hit the ground running. 
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
August 22, 2013, 03:42:03 PM
I just called KNC from USA and no answer....lunch time.....called again couple minutes later and got an answer....althought not what I wanted to hear...arrggghhhh

BUT on the other hand, they didn't try to get at my money like a potential scam most likely would have....so all in all postive.

hh, what you want to hear?.)

BUT on the other hand, they didn't try to get at my money like a potential scam most likely would have....so all in all postive.

Answers? Only 15 bucks upfront!

To answer you both.....

I ordered the  Saturn (paid in full many many days ago so I should be day 3 if there is such a thing) and as I tried to upgrade to Jupiter, my credit card payment would NOT go through, so I placed the order but did not fulfill the purchase.

As I was able to figure out my credit card problem I called KNC to see if I could still complete the transaction ( or in other words pay for the upgrade.)

The answer I did not want to hear was 'NO, you can't pay for upgrade anymore.'

The answer I DID WANT was 'Yes, we will gladly take your money for the Upgrade.' WHICH is exactly what a scammer would have said if this is a scam.

So minerpumpkin it is a hell of alot more than $15 for the Saturn and the upgrade.

The guy who answered said that they will be selling upgrades for us to install once they start shipping but no price or timeline given, nor did I ask.

Call for yourselves and ask away....
August 22, 2013, 03:34:44 PM
http://www.lineagepower.com/oem/pdf/MDT040A0X.pdf

Max efficiency at 0.6V out w/ 12V input - 84%
Max efficiency at 1.2V out w/ 12V input - 90%
Max efficiency at 1.8V out w/ 12V input - 92%

And the whopper, 1.5ms typical rise in output current from 10% to 90%.  Not very responsive for such a small converter, esp for switching at 400khz.

And did you see that ripple voltage? !!!
Oh my gosh, between 8-20mVp-p at 1 volt!

It's too bad they couldn't use 2 of them at once.
It's too bad they don't have a SYNC function.
It's too bad the SYNC function couldn't be programmed to reduce ripple by interleaving.

If only there were such things.

Oh wait.....
They do have those functions.

Gee I wonder if the KnC guys noticed or it was just coinkydink

It's too bad the pdf you linked didn't include examples of how to deal with the known limitations.
Oh wait.....

All DC/DC converters have limitations.
The efficiency is not bad. It's 80+ and that's DC/DC at 1/12th supply V.

An engineer could design better given enough time and money.

But (there's always a 'but')

Not if you wanted off the shelf _and_ wanted some headroom within the $$$/time budget.
IMneverHO

25% of possible total supply voltage range for the device seems quite flexible to me.
They have V to spare if their thermal budget has any room left.

I almost forgot.
"And the whopper, 1.5ms typical rise in output current from 10% to 90%."

It's too bad they couldn't place caps around the ASIC to compensate.
Oh wait.....

Are you some kind of inductorologist with mad skillz?
I didn't notice your suggestion for a better choice.
Please include delivery time and cost savings if you do venture an opinion.

To me their DC/DC supply fits exactly their 'margin on top of margin' claim.
Thx for the link!

Time will tell Wink

Coincidentally, I am designing a 3 phase DC/DC power circuit that currently delivers 0.84V @80A w/ ~92% efficiency based around the LTC-3829, tunable @5mV increments, powered by a 12V ATX supply (+-10 nominal).  Each phases lower FET dissipates a maximum of 0.75W, which is the highest of any single component in the design.   I've got roughly 20 hours into the design.  Further, synching does not eliminate ripple.   In ideal situtations yes, however that's why any spice simulator worth using allows sweeps of tolerance ranges.  The reality is that the load is not uniform across the phases.  I'm not even going to address the rise time and caps comment as its obvious you have little experience with this type of circuitry.

The reason I mention the inefficiencies of their supply choice are that the poor choice of external PSU was due to "lower heat" then a week later post that they are dumping an extra 100W of heat into the chassis, which about what a good PSU would do (80% vs 90+% designs that are readily available).  All it takes is looking at any motherboard, gpu, or other high amperage, low volt device and making a few emails.
Jump to: