Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1799. (Read 3049501 times)

Activity: 386
Merit: 250
August 22, 2013, 06:22:36 AM
http://www.lineagepower.com/oem/pdf/MDT040A0X.pdf

Max efficiency at 0.6V out w/ 12V input - 84%
Max efficiency at 1.2V out w/ 12V input - 90%
Max efficiency at 1.8V out w/ 12V input - 92%

And the whopper, 1.5ms typical rise in output current from 10% to 90%.  Not very responsive for such a small converter, esp for switching at 400khz.

And did you see that ripple voltage? !!!
Oh my gosh, between 8-20mVp-p at 1 volt!

It's too bad they couldn't use 2 of them at once.
It's too bad they don't have a SYNC function.
It's too bad the SYNC function couldn't be programmed to reduce ripple by interleaving.

If only there were such things.

Oh wait.....
They do have those functions.

Gee I wonder if the KnC guys noticed or it was just coinkydink

It's too bad the pdf you linked didn't include examples of how to deal with the known limitations.
Oh wait.....

All DC/DC converters have limitations.
The efficiency is not bad. It's 80+ and that's DC/DC at 1/12th supply V.

An engineer could design better given enough time and money.

But (there's always a 'but')

Not if you wanted off the shelf _and_ wanted some headroom within the $$$/time budget.
IMneverHO

25% of possible total supply voltage range for the device seems quite flexible to me.
They have V to spare if their thermal budget has any room left.

I almost forgot.
"And the whopper, 1.5ms typical rise in output current from 10% to 90%."

It's too bad they couldn't place caps around the ASIC to compensate.
Oh wait.....

Are you some kind of inductorologist with mad skillz?
I didn't notice your suggestion for a better choice.
Please include delivery time and cost savings if you do venture an opinion.

To me their DC/DC supply fits exactly their 'margin on top of margin' claim.
Thx for the link!

Time will tell Wink
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
August 22, 2013, 06:08:53 AM
Yep still heard nothing from them.
So I guess main line cgminer support wont be happening ...

It would have been if at least they would have contacted you.
Pardon my ignorance and laziness to search but are kano and the other guy the only option for developing cgminer drivers? What about bfminer (if I recall the spelling correct)? Can't it be used instead? Not so efficient?

Well, if they took a commitment with Kano it would have been correct to tell him what they plans are in respect of HIS work.

Secondly, I do not think Luke-Jr has been contacted neither.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
August 22, 2013, 06:02:11 AM

It would have been if at least they would have contacted you.
Pardon my ignorance and laziness to search but are kano and the other guy the only option for developing cgminer drivers? What about bfminer (if I recall the spelling correct)? Can't it be used instead? Not so efficient?
legendary
August 22, 2013, 05:56:15 AM

It would have been cool if at least they would have contacted you.
legendary
August 22, 2013, 05:55:14 AM
Considering October delivery, is it still worth it for me to place an order today for a Jupiter or Saturn? Will I at the very least see ROI?

Well if you got a Jupiter Oct 1 and you started mining right away ..(Roi 57 days)

http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/a/b90f2d07ff

If you got it NOV 1 then you wont see ROI

http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/a/8ab0181416

That's at the current bitstamp btc price approximately $112 not the goxed btc price. Of course its also guesstimating the difficulty climb.

Maybe someone else can chime in .. im a bit biased as i dont think its a good time to by a miner. I was once critical of KNC but not so much now.

They actually look good and as long as they can stick to the deadlines without hiccups they will have a good run at the asic space.

You are mistaking ROI and break-even (like most do in here).

ROI is the profit ("return") you get from an investment. You can have a low or a high ROI, but if you have a ROI you have reached break-even for sure.

Break-even means you recoup all your investment

Most of people in here uses ROI as a synonym for break even, which is nonsense.

legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
August 22, 2013, 05:29:16 AM
Activity: 1176
Merit: 265
August 22, 2013, 05:01:38 AM
Good news from the Volvo of the ASIC world. Smiley
Nice to see them still talking about the next gen too.

legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014
August 22, 2013, 04:35:48 AM
No, I haven't. That's why I wrote "proportionally".
legendary
August 22, 2013, 04:28:38 AM
If they delay, then it means that the expected increase in hashrate will also be delayed proportionally.

lol? you maybe forgot about almost million avalon chips, bitfury and other players in this game.)
+Labcoin +maybe BTCGarden +alydian +...
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1001
/dev/null
August 22, 2013, 04:22:54 AM
If they delay, then it means that the expected increase in hashrate will also be delayed proportionally.

lol? you maybe forgot about almost million avalon chips, bitfury and other players in this game.)
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014
August 22, 2013, 04:18:11 AM
Call me crazy, but I am in half a mind to place another Saturn+Hosting order...

Activity: 218
Merit: 100
August 22, 2013, 04:16:49 AM
How much are you willing to wait IF they have a delay before requesting a refund? Straight answer please..

Me until Oct 15 max (day 1 Order)
legendary
August 22, 2013, 04:05:22 AM
Just how realistic is that seeing it's nearly september already?
If they ship last day of September then you will have it October and they will still be compliant on their promise.
Maybe Bitcoinorama then will use his precious CC for refund...but wait! Hmmmm...

Well considering they booked with the fab, whenever that was, they would have been given an estimate of when to expect the chips, and then following such assured statement been at the mercy of the fab. KnC then plays a waiting game, whilst ensuring all else runs smoothly. Once they have the chips in hand they have to build a prototype, test, and then manufacture the products. All they've said is they are on track, so I'd imagine it means what they have said it to mean; September.

Just how unrealistic could that be? Klee what's the beef?
How much are you willing to wait IF they have a delay before requesting a refund? Straight answer please..
legendary
August 22, 2013, 04:03:21 AM

I hope they are NOT LATE for Chip Delivery. Now No News on Chips Progress. Why talk about the PCB when without the Asic Chips
nothing will work. Bitfury delay delivery to October.

By now end of August 2013 still No News on Chip Progress. Why? Critical is the Chip not the pcb board.

Ironically, I received that same image via PM yesterday from another user.

But that's not why I came here to post. As you all know, I've been busy sticking it up BFL's ass. To date, I've had no reason to check what's happening in Camp KnC. I do have one request though: If at any time KnC refuses to honor refunds, would somebody be so kind as to PM me and let me know?

Later, all.

Bruno Kucinskas
The guys are 200% professional, only if things really get ugly they may have issues with refunds. I do not think this will happen though. Maybe only some upset stomachs if they are missing their September deadline by 1-2 weeks. Worst but most possible scenario IMHO..
Activity: 308
Merit: 251
The realist
August 22, 2013, 02:15:40 AM
If at any time KnC refuses to honor refunds, would somebody be so kind as to PM me and let me know?

So far haven't seen anyone denied their refund yet.
Activity: 308
Merit: 251
The realist
August 22, 2013, 02:14:38 AM
600 would be unreal. I mean from 100gh to 150gh per chip? That's a big jump.

I'm thinking maybe only 100-115gh so the end result for a Jupiter could be 400-450gh.

But it's all speculation. However KNC did mention the Jup has potential to be more than 400 and "way less than 1000w".

I think 400gh is just a "best guess" from past yields.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
August 22, 2013, 02:05:41 AM

I hope they are NOT LATE for Chip Delivery. Now No News on Chips Progress. Why talk about the PCB when without the Asic Chips
nothing will work. Bitfury delay delivery to October.

By now end of August 2013 still No News on Chip Progress. Why? Critical is the Chip not the pcb board.

Ironically, I received that same image via PM yesterday from another user.

But that's not why I came here to post. As you all know, I've been busy sticking it up BFL's ass. To date, I've had no reason to check what's happening in Camp KnC. I do have one request though: If at any time KnC refuses to honor refunds, would somebody be so kind as to PM me and let me know?

Later, all.

Bruno Kucinskas
legendary
Activity: 994
August 22, 2013, 02:02:51 AM
They will only refund via bank transfer.  Bitcoin refunds are not an option.
Or Paypal (Credit card) since I got my refund today. Haven't lost faith in KNC just I have one too many ASIC orders and don't think I should put too many eggs in the Bitcoin basket.
Ha!  Join the club!  Oh wait, you're already in the club.

I have a feeling these knc miners will be more than 200/400 gh, they could be 300/600.  Thoughts?

I'd be happy with 175/350 if they shipped Sept. 1
Activity: 752
Merit: 500
August 22, 2013, 01:57:08 AM
They will only refund via bank transfer.  Bitcoin refunds are not an option.
Or Paypal (Credit card) since I got my refund today. Haven't lost faith in KNC just I have one too many ASIC orders and don't think I should put too many eggs in the Bitcoin basket.
Ha!  Join the club!  Oh wait, you're already in the club.

I have a feeling these knc miners will be more than 200/400 gh, they could be 300/600.  Thoughts?
Activity: 125
Merit: 100
August 22, 2013, 01:25:32 AM
http://www.lineagepower.com/oem/pdf/MDT040A0X.pdf

Max efficiency at 0.6V out w/ 12V input - 84%
Max efficiency at 1.2V out w/ 12V input - 90%
Max efficiency at 1.8V out w/ 12V input - 92%

And the whopper, 1.5ms typical rise in output current from 10% to 90%.  Not very responsive for such a small converter, esp for switching at 400khz.
Jump to: