Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1823. (Read 3049501 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
August 17, 2013, 10:01:13 PM
At this point the only "milestone" I am aware that they have missed is to provide Kano and Ckolivas with a mock-up device in July.  This may not be significant but it would have been nice for KNC to have updated Kano and Ckolivas.
That's because they were going to use the 6gh FPGA miner as the prototypes for them to build CGminer or w/e on. Obviously they discontinued that but you guys are acting like they'd promised a jupiter back then. Jupiters hadn't even been mentioned at that point.

Plans change.
Activity: 173
Merit: 100
August 17, 2013, 09:58:46 PM
have you seen this the Butterfly Labs Monarch
http://www.butterflylabs.com/monarch/
They're got to be joking... right???

I love this line in particular... "Nothing is more important than shipping your order as fast as possible."  Grin
Activity: 210
August 17, 2013, 09:39:38 PM
I have a 1000 watt ballast I used to use to power a 1000 watt sodium light bulb.  You think that will work?

I think you forgot you weren't on www.rollitup.org when you asked this question.

Stoners will be stoners.
Activity: 280
Hell?
August 17, 2013, 09:21:18 PM
I have a 1000 watt ballast I used to use to power a 1000 watt sodium light bulb.  You think that will work?

lol.
Activity: 752
Merit: 500
August 17, 2013, 09:20:26 PM
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
- - -Caveat Aleo- - -
August 17, 2013, 09:15:23 PM
Just a little bit of info regarding KnC
They contact ckolivas and myself at the end of May regarding cgminer and related information.

They then stated that within July they'd be sending (in July) mock up devices (with an internal RPi) for us to work with on cgminer, then in September the real (faster) devices to tune cgminer to.

I have, however, heard nothing since, but no doubt expect to hear something soon.

I'll keep everyone posted if anything happens Smiley

Knc said that within July they were sending to Kano and Ckolivas mock up devices to work on cgminer implementation.

So, now we have passed a concrete deadline we can all verify.

Kano, did you receive the mock up device?

I sent a PM to Kano a few days ago. I asked if he had been in contact with him or CKolivas KNC

He answer this:

At this point the only "milestone" I am aware that they have missed is to provide Kano and Ckolivas with a mock-up device in July.  This may not be significant but it would have been nice for KNC to have updated Kano and Ckolivas.
Activity: 196
August 17, 2013, 09:04:34 PM
Um, yeah I agree that it's not a problem.  That's what I said. Did you get me confused with the other guy?

Yeah, sorry, kingcoin was doing the concern trolling, but you did back him up with some of your comments there ...
I don't really see the point of testing without the PCB

Testing is what the semiconductor industry does. The cowboy days are long over (I hope, being out of the biz for two decades).
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
August 17, 2013, 08:59:21 PM

The first actual date they ever mentioned shipping was September 2013. They've affirmed a few times now that they are on track for that date.

They've taped out, they've shown picts of case and fan, they have PCB picts coming late next week, and they should be receiving chips within the next week or two, or at least their assemblers will be.

July was never on offer.

I think it is at the end of September though, so, like September 30th.
Activity: 252
August 17, 2013, 08:58:08 PM
Have they shipped anything yet? Is this still a project development donation thread like it was from day one?

what are you talking about?

They seemed to be a replica of BFL when they started this thread. Their original shipping dates were in July, I think.
The first actual date they ever mentioned shipping was September 2013. They've affirmed a few times now that they are on track for that date.

They've taped out, they've shown picts of case and fan, they have PCB picts coming late next week, and they should be receiving chips within the next week or two, or at least their assemblers will be.

July was never on offer.
Activity: 238
August 17, 2013, 08:45:41 PM
And, it would be much simpler to test the PCB then to test the chip.  The chip itself has a 1mm ball pitch and thousands of balls.  Aligning it might take time, and it will generate a lot of heat in the tester (I guess you could test one engine at a time, though)
(although I'm sure the low chip yeild would suck)

You do realise that the very same foundries making KNC's chips make other chips too? This is not rocket science (actually its far more high tech than that, but...), the industry is what 50 years old now? These problems were solved years ago (if BGA was untestable, it would never have made mainstream).

Just stop it please. The problem does not exist, people are doing this every day.

Um, yeah I agree that it's not a problem.  That's what I said. Did you get me confused with the other guy?
Activity: 196
August 17, 2013, 07:36:36 PM
And, it would be much simpler to test the PCB then to test the chip.  The chip itself has a 1mm ball pitch and thousands of balls.  Aligning it might take time, and it will generate a lot of heat in the tester (I guess you could test one engine at a time, though)
(although I'm sure the low chip yeild would suck)

You do realise that the very same foundries making KNC's chips make other chips too? This is not rocket science (actually its far more high tech than that, but...), the industry is what 50 years old now? These problems were solved years ago (if BGA was untestable, it would never have made mainstream).

Just stop it please. The problem does not exist, people are doing this every day.
Activity: 238
August 17, 2013, 07:15:09 PM
You have missed my point. Somebody mentioned that KnC had no intentions on running test vectors on the chip tester. The hasher its great for generating coverage. That's what I meant by "free BIST" and signature analysis earlier. I've done similar things in the past, not with SHA's, but with CRC's. When you have this infrastructure on your device you should utilize it on the chip tester and detect the defects early and not after you have mounted the chips. And while you're at it do scan insertion and ATPG to increase you coverage further since catching errors and faults early is a lot cheaper than later in the product cycle.

I don't really see the point of testing without the PCB, since the PCB is only going to have one chip.  It's not like a motherboard where you have lots of expensive chips, or an Avalon module where you have lots of chips in parallel - you can think of the PCB as simply being a larger package for the chip.

On the other hand the PCB has an edge connector (at least the demo ones they showed in the video) All you'd need to do is plug it into a slot to test.  Much easier and quicker.

So on the one had it might be slightly more expensive as you'd lose a PCB, but on the other hand you'd save time by not passing each chip through a second stage.

If their confident their yeilds will be high, they've got nothing to worry about. ORSoC has probably fab'd chips at this resolution before  and knows what to expect.  If their yeilds are high enough they can actually just assemble the units, then test them, and only replace PCBs that have a fault.

Remember they are selling these chips for about $1750 a pop, and delivery speed is the most critical thing for the customer. How much could the PCB ex-chip cost? $20?  Even if they threw out 2 PCBs for every shipped module it would barely eat into their margins (although I'm sure the low chip yeild would suck)
Hell?
Activity: 490
Merit: 501
August 17, 2013, 06:28:49 PM
this isn't a BFL thread.  Tongue
Activity: 1176
Merit: 265
August 17, 2013, 06:27:42 PM
That BFL page has so many things to take the piss out of it's unreal.

I did however find something honest. "However, we aren't shipping anytime soon.  This is a Pre-Order product, so if you're uncomfortable waiting an indeterminate length of time for the final phase of development, do NOT pre-order this product."

Many previous customers will attest to the discomfort I'm sure.

Shame no-one can trust them, it's a great idea.
Hell?
August 17, 2013, 06:25:42 PM
Have they shipped anything yet? Is this still a project development donation thread like it was from day one?

They seemed to be a replica of BFL when they started this thread. Their original shipping dates were in July, I think.

who, knc? you need to check your facts sir

Yeah, they had a really early shipping date as far as I remember. Is anyone going to tell me if they have shipped?

no, if you cared to visit the website or do any reading, you would realize they havent yet.

Thanks for your eventual help, tosser.

anytime, wanker
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
August 17, 2013, 06:21:59 PM

Yeah, they had a really early shipping date as far as I remember. Is anyone going to tell me if they have shipped?

no, if you cared to visit the website or do any reading, you would realize they havent yet.

Thanks for your eventual help, tosser.
Activity: 116
Merit: 10
August 17, 2013, 06:17:44 PM
I'm waiting for kncminer october sales to sell out, so I can get a cheaper november unit.

Your funny, I will be very surprised if first customers start receiving units in October
Hell?
August 17, 2013, 06:12:52 PM

legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
August 17, 2013, 06:11:13 PM

April 08 post: summer of 2013 (yes in just a few months)

I guess they are now aiming for the last day of summer ... or later ...
Jump to: