Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1953. (Read 3049501 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
I'm just wondering how knc is still awaiting chips from production, yet bitfury has the chips and will take another month to ship...
For one thing, KNC only has to put 4 chips on a board to complete a miner.

Bitfury has to put dozens of chips into their miners, and involve daughter-boards and multiple heat-sinks, etc.

Beyond that, who is installing / manufacturing the Bitfury chips in miners? KNC already has miner manfucturing lined up with a pro company.
Back to the topic of KNC. Did they ever say how many chips they have on order? Wondering how they are still selling miners on their website saying shipping in september.

Possibly they ordered a chip surplus with the intention of selling loose chips a la Avalon/BFL if they couldn't make up the difference with miners.

They will not sell chips.I would ask at the visit and refused future sale of chips. They only sell devices.
Yeah, I think they're more likely to immediately begin producing a better, faster device, a gen-2 device, than  start selling chips.

What BFL SHOULD be doing is burning the chips in, and binning them based on performance. Who knows why they're not.

I don't understand the point you are making at all. With the exception of the MiniRig, BFL don't run their chips flat out, that's why speed bumps are available over the base unit. The MiniRig has been reported at being 480GH/s instead of 500GH/s but I don't know how many people experienced that, I have only read the one report.

Running your chips below their maximum stable clock is a very different thing from completely disabling functional engines. One may be an optimal trade-off with power consumption and chip lifetime; the other simply wastes potential.
No kidding, that's why people are having fun unlocking the potential with firmware upgrades!

And why I'm baffled, since BFL has obviously not binned them correctly.

BFL has been selling their round of loose chips at different prices based on the bin (A/B/C/D). If they are being too aggressive with their binning, they are actually getting paid less than they could be. That seems very un-BFL-like. Curious.
So they've been generally incompetent/deficient on everything they've done, and you think they're suddenly going to nail binning? Tongue
Can someone show me how to use my dryer outlet? I can't find a psu cable.
Is that a joke? If you are not an electrician, don't do that yourself. That is a high voltage output, not something for amateurs to work on...

Don't do it. It is in fact low voltage (till 1000V AC / 1500V DC) but DON'T DO IT. You'll risk your life if something goes wrong. Or you will do a short, etc..
Watch out for sharp knives in the kitchen also ...

My favourite questions asked in electrical engineering at university was by a lecturer:
"So how many of you have been electrocuted?"
(lots of hands went up)
"How many of you didn't survive?"
That is the most stupid question ever. Do you know how many people die in Germany alone because of electirc shocks?
Germany has a standard voltage of 230V, "Starkstrom" has up to 1000V and is used by a dryer outlet. 600V can effectively reduce the resistance of the skin and increase lethality by a lot. And most people who died did not even have that high voltage...
It's not the voltage that kills you, it's the amps. Ever been hit by static electricity--that's extremely high voltage, tens of thousands of volts, but the amperage is miniscule.
Can someone show me how to use my dryer outlet? I can't find a psu cable.
Is that a joke? If you are not an electrician, don't do that yourself. That is a high voltage output, not something for amateurs to work on...

Don't do it. It is in fact low voltage (till 1000V AC / 1500V DC) but DON'T DO IT. You'll risk your life if something goes wrong. Or you will do a short, etc..
Watch out for sharp knives in the kitchen also ...

My favourite questions asked in electrical engineering at university was by a lecturer:
"So how many of you have been electrocuted?"
(lots of hands went up)
"How many of you didn't survive?"
I've done residential electrical work. Been electrocuted a few times Tongue Kinda sucks Tongue But when you're dealing with the main line, you don't take chances. And if someone's trying to install power for 5-6+ Jupiters, they're going to be putting in major circuitry.

Hopefully you have a 200amp main panel. From there you want to run a hefty, hefty wire, probably a 70amp(?) cable to where you'll be keeping the Jupiters and install a sub-panel nearby from which you can put each Jupiter on its own breaker. That's what you tell your electrician anyway Tongue 6,000 watts is no joke to install, and you have to account for cooling too. That's roughly 1-ton unit of cooling per 24-hr, which is another thousand watts by itself, iirc. 7,000 watts and you're talking a 9,000 watts capacity needed overall (80% load rule).

the safest option would be call an electrician to install a larger dedicated circuit breaker just for the miners.
just like you would when installing a large air-conditioner.

in Australia we have 240v 16 Amp circuits as standard wall outlet. I wouldn't put more than 3 on one circuit and probably safer to not go over 2 if other appliances use the same circuit, especially heaters/air-cons basically high wattage appliances.

In USA it would be different, but if your outlets are rated at 120v 20 Amp circuits, then 2 Jupiters would be max per circuit and no high wattage appliances on same circuit.

Typical American residential circuit shouldn't do much more that 1880 watts, so one miner per circuit.  That leaves plenty of margin, but your dreams of stacking these up 10-20 deep like asic block eruptors isn't going to happen.  Bummer.

/cet
There's some reason to believe the Jupiter will run more at like 850 or 800, due to them telling us not to buy 1200 watt PSU, and applying the 80% wattage maximum rule. They're using "under-promise, over-deliver" rule again, it seems.

Thus, two to a circuit could work out ultimately. We'll see.

Activity: 206
Merit: 100
I noticed that there was a mention of the ability to upgrade the miners i.e Saturn to Jupiter? How does that work and will the upgrades effect queue position?

Cheers

As far as I followed this thread no one knows exactly what will happen to your position - all speculation. Someone should forward this q to KnC
legendary
Activity: 876
Merit: 1000
Etherscan.io
I noticed that there was a mention of the ability to upgrade the miners i.e Saturn to Jupiter? How does that work and will the upgrades effect queue position?

Cheers
erk
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
I'm just wondering how knc is still awaiting chips from production, yet bitfury has the chips and will take another month to ship...

Bitfury have been working on their stuff for ages.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/picostocks-100ths-bitcoin-mine-100th-140366

Activity: 158
Speculation on my part, but perhaps bitfury cannot or will not fulfill retail until 100TH is deployed, and until any other prior agreements which may exist, regarding deployments before retail, are met.

Sorry, not true.  One of the distributors already has bare chips in hand and is fulfilling his orders for chip-only orders.

100TH will be a parallel project with the distributors releasing / shipping the 3rd-party designed boards.
Activity: 238
Speculation on my part, but perhaps bitfury cannot or will not fulfill retail until 100TH is deployed, and until any other prior agreements which may exist, regarding deployments before retail, are met.

Activity: 196
Cheaper to get I think...
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

Beat you to it.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2710245

is it b/c 55nm chips are easier to get than 28nm?
legendary
Activity: 1498
legendary
Activity: 966
- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

Beat you to it.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2710245

Activity: 462
Activity: 462
Firing it up

I guess but would be nice to have an idea of their initial capactiy, which is why i was asking if anyone knew what it was.  I'd think they wouldnt be placing more chip orders until they at least get one batch in. So shipping starts in sept for batch 1 ?? 2014 for batch 2? who knows.

When you place a pre-order for a product that has never shipped before, you take your chances! If KNCminer are smart they would have ordered enough chips to keep some stock, I am sure that's what BFL tried to do, but it all fell apart when they discovered they would need twice as many chips per unit to meet the performance they promised!

Because it take a couple of months for a chip order to be manufactured, you would want to order at least two months more chip stock as you had orders in hand for, but the gamble is always will the chips perform as simulated, and is the order rate consistent hence predictable?

When the chips come arrive in September, and KNCminer test their prototypes, we shall know more, until then everything is just speculation, and probably a little pointless.

We never know if Sam can provide at least one chip in real as the company only provides 100G module.
Currently The hosting service is too nasty for some people as some of people only have enough money at the start and don't want too much trouble which likes Avalon case before.
Activity: 224
Where is that buried under and when did they post that? So if someone bought 100000 jupiters 1 week ago and i buy 1 today I still get it in october? 1+1 not adding up to 2 for me.

Your power of deductions are absolutely stunning. We should start a group buy for 100.000 Jupiters. What would that be in USD $800 million, lets do it..

*sigh*
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow
Wondering when you would get a product if you ordered now?
October, as per their website https://www.kncminer.com/
https://www.kncminer.com/pictures/carousel/5390.png

I so want to believe, but I hope you can understand my skepticism.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
IIRC, didn't KNC say we can get refunds up until the time of delivery?  like October for me.

is there a link to that policy?
Jump to: