Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1958. (Read 3049501 times)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100
I ordered a KnC Jupiter a while back. One thing I've been thinking abut recently: Are these miners likely to be safe to leave unattended? I mean....I do need to leave the house once in a while. I wouldn't want to come back from shopping to find my house has burnt down. Unattendance recommendations?

If they are certified they will be. If not, you takes your chances.

No, if they're not certified, they're in violation of innumerable import and local codes and regulations, just like both BFL and Avalon are in hot water with the German customs, and you won't have it in your house.  

Yes, overall, though, we all takes our chances in everything in life.  I don't know about other people, but I wear my tin foil hat to help deflect meteorites in case I get hit by one.
donator
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1010
Parental Advisory Explicit Content
What the hell does this question mean?Huh   What???  Fire risk???  Please explain..

I ordered a KnC Jupiter a while back. One thing I've been thinking abut recently: Are these miners likely to be safe to leave unattended? I mean....I do need to leave the house once in a while. I wouldn't want to come back from shopping to find my house has burnt down. Unattendance recommendations?

its an electronic, it has a fire risk. whats to explain?

It has the same fire risk as your desktop computer running GPU`s to mine.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Hell?
What the hell does this question mean?Huh   What???  Fire risk???  Please explain..

its an electronic, it has a fire risk. whats to explain?
Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Activity: 336
Activity: 309
I mentioned this, and warned people before about quick replies in July.
Don't expect quick replies in July.
Skeleton Crew.

Thank you ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_festivities#Summer )
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
LIR DEV
Just a little bit of info regarding KnC
They contact ckolivas and myself at the end of May regarding cgminer and related information.

They then stated they'd be sending (in July) mock up devices (with an internal RPi) for us to work with on cgminer, then in September the real (faster) devices to tune cgminer to.

I have, however, heard nothing since, but no doubt expect to hear something soon.

I'll keep everyone posted if anything happens Smiley
I've been waiting 5 days for a reply (to an email I sent Marcus and Sam) from KnC about their status ... still no response ...

Could it be that they do not want to answer you, until they have a exactade shipping date. To not lie.
But next Tuesday not have answer would be a bit worrying.

I do not want you to think I'm a Fanboy. I acknowledge the work done by ckolivas and you.
It's JULY in Sweden!  Why would you expect a fast answer?
READ MY LIPS.... Swedish Industrial Vacation.
Look it up.
I mentioned this, and warned people before about quick replies in July.
Don't expect quick replies in July.
Skeleton Crew.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
They contact ckolivas and myself at the end of May regarding cgminer and related information.

They then stated they'd be sending (in July) mock up devices (with an internal RPi) for us to work with on cgminer, then in September the real (faster) devices to tune cgminer to.

I have, however, heard nothing since, but no doubt expect to hear something soon.

I've been waiting 5 days for a reply (to an email I sent Marcus and Sam) from KnC about their status ... still no response ...

Could it be that they do not want to answer you, until they have a exactade shipping date. To not lie.

I do not want you to think I'm a Fanboy. I acknowledge the work done by ckolivas and you.
Could be.
But I really just asked for a status update coz we hadn't heard from them since the end of May.
They were also the ones who contacted us originally, not the other way around.
erk
Activity: 826
Merit: 500

These kind of products are not pop up toasters, they are intended for people with a bit more hardware knowledge than the average consumer. I would suggest that no miner I have seen is consumer friendly, not even a GPU board, had many of those go up in smoke mining.

Activity: 714
Merit: 504
Activity: 428
BitcoinEvo [$XBTE]
Ordered a Mercury miner today, don`t let me down KNCminer  Wink
Do You find any info about expecting the delivery ? I got just one egg and there is a lot baskets Smiley idioms
donator
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1010
Parental Advisory Explicit Content
Ordered a Mercury miner today, don`t let me down KNCminer  Wink
Activity: 389

erk
Activity: 826
Merit: 500

With an expected ROI of something like 20-30 days, I'd be more than happy to mine profitably for four months only to trade up to a new gen device. That would still be a profit overall, even after paying for the new device, plus you still have the old one hashing all you like for another 8 months viably at least.

If you don't trade up as tech advances, you eventually get left behind anyway and will be forced to stop mining. Some will be happy with that, others, not so.

I think what is confusing people on the ROI, is that we are suddenly dealing with start-ups that have no money in the ASIC world.

We have been use to doing a rough calculation, going down the shop and buying the latest GPU, and starting mining. But now it's all changed, because the ASIC companies have no money, they have to go into this pre-order caper and accumulate funds to pay for the fabrication. That introduce the many month delays (in the case of BFL over a year) in the ROI calculations. This is a concept people can't get their heads around. Hopefully the ASIC companies will eventually work out better ways of funding their next generation products, like the GPU companies do, and announce product when it's ready to ship.
Activity: 252

If Knc can produce a gen-2 device in another 4 months after shipping, all of us will be able to afford to upgrade,

I really dont understand this endless chase...  are we all in this just to make the miner makers money by reupping?? 

You have to have something besides this game going on..  it ain't going to last so please do something productive with your ROI since half of the coins are already mined

With an expected ROI of something like 20-30 days, I'd be more than happy to mine profitably for four months only to trade up to a new gen device. That would still be a profit overall, even after paying for the new device, plus you still have the old one hashing all you like for another 8 months viably at least.

If you don't trade up as tech advances, you eventually get left behind anyway and will be forced to stop mining. Some will be happy with that, others, not so.
legendary
LIR DEV
all coins are always mined, its about marketshare, in the  total hashrate across the cloud of miners.
Activity: 462

If Knc can produce a gen-2 device in another 4 months after shipping, all of us will be able to afford to upgrade,

I really dont understand this endless chase...  are we all in this just to make the miner makers money by reupping?? 

You have to have something besides this game going on..  it ain't going to last so please do something productive with your ROI since half of the coins are already mined

legendary
LIR DEV
I'm in lust with the hosting idea admittedly. I pay .43 per kilowatt-hour, so a Jupiter costs 309.60/month just to operate here in Hawaii. If KNC can host this for me, I'll really only be paying $40.40 more per month to have it hosted in a professional data-center, by the same people whom developed the device, have every tweak & tune they do without having to lift a finger....    pay a competitive pool fee, etc...
no problem choosing here. I'm betting they can get it running faster there in the data-center & pool, than I can here at home as well.
Activity: 280
Hell?
we should just lock this once useful thread, and start a new one.
Activity: 252
More exciting to me is that they offer 6 month lease. I think my local datacenter wanted a 36 month lease! That's clearly not bitcoin-mining friendly.

But that also implies something else. If KNC gets the Jupiter out the door on time they will have proved they possess a development pipeline that no one can match and they instantly become the market leader ASIC provider.

I expect that by the time the Jupiters actually ship, assuming they ship on time, Knc will have begun work on their gen-2 device in the terrahash range, to be announced shortly after their first Jupiters ship, perhaps a month after, with a release date in another 4-6 months.

That will likely crush the Avalons and BFL rigs of the world, possibly even put pressure on AsicMiner, since they aren't the most efficient miner out there cost-wise, no doubt. Bitfury's design would probably withstand a gen-2 assault somewhat well, being the market leader efficiency-wise currently, but I'd expect a gen-2 to beat the Bitfury chip handily on that metric too.

If Knc can produce a gen-2 device in another 4 months after shipping, all of us will be able to afford to upgrade, most likely. And then if they produce a gen-3 device in another 4 months, they will really have blown the competition out of the water.

One of the reasons I think Knc chose a large package size is that it's a lot easier, cheaper, quicker, to solder four large chips on a board and ship the device than do deal with multiple daughter-boards and PCBs, like an Avalon has. That leads to production and shipping delays.

In fact, it's probably more accurate to think of KNC's first device as a gen-2 device already, though it's their first product. Knc and Bitfury I'd put in the gen-2 category already, with Avalon and BFL being gen-1 (even if Bfl has hardly shipped).

Hard to say what the parameters of a gen2/3 device will look like, what it's specs will be. Personally I'd love to see blade-style devices designed for datacenter installment, ala AMiner. Knc may yet do that with these devices. We shall see.
Jump to: