Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1959. (Read 3049501 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
As for KNC, they told me in an email that we would be able to switch from delivery to hosting, and that the cost we've paid upfront for delivery will be applied to the hosting cost initially. I assume this means the $130+ we paid will be used to buy the power supply. Then we'd be billed at the end of the month for the hosting cost with a choice of options, and likely a good $50 or so extra for the cost of the power supply.

Looking like an attractive option to me. Imagine if something broke down in your machine and you had to send it back? Weeks lost. Imagine too if they are overclocking it for you in their datacenter, and they're the pros on the machine!

Yeah and imagine all the decentralization gone. Imagine a scenario that one day bitcoin becomes major problem for anyone with bad intentions, much money and power in his hand, they are very desperate to bring bitcoin down. What would be smart move? destroy or somehow make some mess at KNC hosting datacentre and at some other major network hasher like ASICminer, what will happen then? due to lack of hashing power and high difficulty it will take ages for any transaction to confirm. Taaa Daaa here goes down your super hosting option.
Meh, the difficulty is just over ~24 million. It can change by a factor of 4 every 2 weeks. So it could go down to 6 million. Not really that bad at all. It's a risk, to be sure, but so is hosting at home or in a local data-center. It's all a risk. If returns were guaranteed this would be a loan or a bond, not an investment, and the return would be correspondingly low.
Activity: 602
Merit: 501
Maybe some saturn owners still wouldnt mind paying the cost

They probably don't have enough space or enough people to manage lots of devices. They could hire a big team and rent a big space, but they probably want to focus on production instead.

EDIT: Actually, there's a poll right now to vote for this feature in their frontpage, so they might allow it if people ask for it.
BS. You are totally lying now. Welcome to the list of trolls.(bdpuke)
Bitfury's 110gh rack is HUGE, and consumes 10 kilowatts!!!!
http://www.bitfury.org/bitfury110.html

Obviously you haven't kept up much.

That's a rack of FPGAs, not ASICs.  It's over 2 years old.

This is what they are actively selling:
https://megabigpower.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=50
Doesn't it seem ridiculously overpriced with KNC's offering on the table?
Activity: 560
We need to ask support for a hosting plan for the Saturns.

says right in news release that KNC will only host Jupiters

They take feedback just like they have with hardware im sure they can figure a solution if enough people ask for it. Doesnt seem to hard the same space is going to be taken up with less power.

Cant hurt to ask, but that is their published response right now

I know i asked them anyway, i plan on upgrading my saturn to a jupiter anyway within the first month, dont see the logic behind not hosting saturns or mercuries if people want to pay for it.
For one thing, they take up the same amount of space as a Jupiter but produce half the output, and datacenters are charging you by the cabinet. So...

Maybe some saturn owners still wouldnt mind paying the cost
Activity: 746
Merit: 502
Looking for advertising deal
As for KNC, they told me in an email that we would be able to switch from delivery to hosting, and that the cost we've paid upfront for delivery will be applied to the hosting cost initially. I assume this means the $130+ we paid will be used to buy the power supply. Then we'd be billed at the end of the month for the hosting cost with a choice of options, and likely a good $50 or so extra for the cost of the power supply.

Looking like an attractive option to me. Imagine if something broke down in your machine and you had to send it back? Weeks lost. Imagine too if they are overclocking it for you in their datacenter, and they're the pros on the machine!

Yeah and imagine all the decentralization gone. Imagine a scenario that one day bitcoin becomes major problem for anyone with bad intentions, much money and power in his hand, they are very desperate to bring bitcoin down. What would be smart move? destroy or somehow make some mess at KNC hosting datacentre and at some other major network hasher like ASICminer, what will happen then? due to lack of hashing power and high difficulty it will take ages for any transaction to confirm. Taaa Daaa here goes down your super hosting option.
Just as I thought... 2 gh/s per chip, about 50x slower, you had me there
:| you don't really know what a 'wafer' is in chip fabbing, do you? It's the large pizza-sized single-crystal of substrate (silicon) all the chips are lithographed onto before being cut into individual chips.
We need to ask support for a hosting plan for the Saturns.

says right in news release that KNC will only host Jupiters

They take feedback just like they have with hardware im sure they can figure a solution if enough people ask for it. Doesnt seem to hard the same space is going to be taken up with less power.

Cant hurt to ask, but that is their published response right now

I know i asked them anyway, i plan on upgrading my saturn to a jupiter anyway within the first month, dont see the logic behind not hosting saturns or mercuries if people want to pay for it.
For one thing, they take up the same amount of space as a Jupiter but produce half the output, and datacenters are charging you by the cabinet. So...
one question
if u choose hosting u don't pay shipping, electricity and VAT 
(u will pay VAT when u decide to import hw in ur country, right?)
Almost assuredly it includes electricity, and you might not even need to pay VAT if they don't ship it out? Dunno.

I priced out hosting at a major California data center, they wanted $330 a month (electricity included), and that was with me admining it, and twice that for the first month's setup.

Anyone considering their hosting option? Seems like a large amount of money to front coupled with the fact that you need to accept a 6 month contract...
For me it depends on the difficulty when my unit becomes available, the USD price of BTC at that time, as well as whether they will accept payment in BTC. If difficulty is way high and the profit margin is slim, I can run it less expensively at home, but would prefer it run there b/c of the guaranteed uptime. If they do come up with optimizations, I'm assuming they will make them available to everyone and not just hosted units...
I assume they'll be using something like Bitpay to let you pay them, naturally. What kind of asic seller wouldn't accept bitcoin on top of other options.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Just a little bit of info regarding KnC
They contact ckolivas and myself at the end of May regarding cgminer and related information.

They then stated they'd be sending (in July) mock up devices (with an internal RPi) for us to work with on cgminer, then in September the real (faster) devices to tune cgminer to.

I have, however, heard nothing since, but no doubt expect to hear something soon.

I'll keep everyone posted if anything happens Smiley
I've been waiting 5 days for a reply (to an email I sent Marcus and Sam) from KnC about their status ... still no response ...
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
Correct me if i am wrong,

but wouldn't not having to pay the VAT on 1 single jupiter cover half of the 6 month term (depending on your local VAT)?
Activity: 462
You draw conclusions without knowing the chip structure. You assume will have only one die, when is can have 2,3 or 4.

That's my point, dum@$$, KNC have given us the LEAST amount of data of any of the manufacturers.

Give me some more data, I'll happily revise my conclusions based upon the data.

I don't make decisions based upon hopes and dreams and the like.  Just upon the numbers.

and no one is beating a path to convince you either...  why do you think so?

You are a time suck.... why don't you just go all in with bitfury and be done with it?
Activity: 389
You draw conclusions without knowing the chip structure. You assume will have only one die, when is can have 2,3 or 4.

That's my point, dum@$$, KNC have given us the LEAST amount of data of any of the manufacturers.

I don't make decisions based upon hopes and dreams and the like.  Just upon the numbers.

When I show you pictures of chips erroneous calculations. Trying to show the difference between package and DIE again and again.

XBOX-WII & PS3 CPU's are BGA soldered. Their DIE size are less than 15 & 17% of package size.
XBOX
http://pictures.xbox-scene.com/xbox360/cpu/CPU.jpg

That's a 30-35% die vs. package size right there (the RAISED board is the "package" - the rectangle on it is the DIE).

I imagine without information, your calculations should be worse.

CMOS SENSORS   more than 750mm2 DIE size
Activity: 158
Merit: 100

if what you're saying is true, and this other site is real, then hats off to bitfury, but ill stick with knc..... I'm skeptical of the post, because its not on bitfury's site even. bitfury.org doesn't mention it.

Bitfury uses a "reseller" type system, they don't sell direct.  Here is the thread where US sales were conducted:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-usnorth-american-bitfury-sales-new-stock-now-shipping-251966

EU Sales:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-bitfury-asic-sales-in-eu-and-europe-250249

Like KNC, they are presales, so all buyers be warned.

EDIT: Bitfuy does post directly in those threads to validate them as official resellers.  FYI.
With all respect to bitfury for what he made, nut do you really want to compare a product which costs more than triple the price for power comsumption? I mean, if KNC went for the same price you could compare them, but try to get how long it would take KNC to break even in total cost. 15k in power cost is more than 10 years running continually in Germany... And we have one of the highest power costs worldwide....

Ah, there is a failure in your logic.

Bitfury's price CHANGES depending upon the delivery date.  It's LESS than half if you take delivery in October, vs. in August.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
- - -Caveat Aleo- - -
Let's face it, until KNC provides some die shots followed in relative short fashion by a hashing video there will be a lot of teeth gnashing and second guessing regarding their design choices...
Activity: 389

This is the best piece of info in this entire discussion.  Unfortunately Fabs almost never release their defect density and yields, unless you are a customer under a Non-Disclosure Agreement.  In almost two decades following CPU/IC production I have never willingly seen a fab release this info.  Very rarely you can get it leaked from a former employee, but then it is always tainted and uncertain if that person has an axe to grind with his former employer or not.  Alternatively, sometimes, you will get vague impressions from the executives during financial disclosures, but never the detailed info you want.

Now, the only thing apparently known about KNC is that the package size is about 3000 mm2.  Let's assume I am wrong, would not be the first time, and that they have a relatively small chip for the package size.  Say 15-20%.  That would be a die size of 450-600 mm2.  That would still be BELOW the lowest curve on the above diagram.  That's really scary for yields, but not impossible to obtain working product by history.  But any customer with a die size that large would have to expect very low yields, and they probably had to sign a waiver from the foundry about guaranteed yield due to "design constraints".

Here are some historical data points for 3rd party fab yield problems with some of the larger GPU dies, for bigger customers:
http://www.geek.com/games/ati-and-nvidia-have-troubling-40nm-yields-from-tsmc-815501/  which were "fixed" a year later:
http://www.dailytech.com/TSMC+Says+40nm+Problems+Resolved+Preparing+28nm+Fab+Production+/article17355.htm
http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1261006  which were "fixed" about 10 months later:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411985,00.asp

Now, a TSMC/UMC is going to work with an AMD/NVidia to improve yields because they are producing 10-100s of millions of chips.  For a smaller companies, they will not go to great lengths to help them revise designs and processes to improve yields.  You get what you get.

Traditionally GPU dies have been some of the largest dies, with the high-end (low yield) parts topping out around mid-500 mm2 in size.  And the parallel structure of a GPU is what most closely resembles the SHA256 ASICs being designed and produced by companies today (Avalon, BFL, KNC, BitFury, etc.).  So from a manufacturing standpoint, we can probably infer a lot from large ASIC production issues by looking at issues that GPU manufacturers have had in the past.

The bigger the dies, the lower the yield, the more you have to charge to cover your costs on the wasted dies from a wafer.  Therefore it is always good to make your dies as small as possible.  Just 10 mm2 per die, when factored over an entire wafer, can mean tens of thousands of dollars in improve yield per wafer.

For comparison, here is a good illustration from the 45 nm days, with Intel - who historically have much higher yields than the rest of the industry (the invest more in their process and refinement).

Again, I hope KNC brings to market a good product, and in a timely fashion.  The more competition, the better we all do in terms of up-front pricing for our miners.  I just am concerned that we haven't see any substantial data about the processor (number of SHA256 cores, clock frequency, die size, heat production, etc.).

Considering the 10+ million dollars of orders they have had, you would hope they would publish this info to keep their investors/customers happy.

Only a pedant think they have the absolute truth and the others are fanboys.
You must be the first person who is always right. Although chances are that you just believe. Roll Eyes
Remember CMOS sensors die size are biggers
legendary
Activity: 804
Merit: 1002
if what you're saying is true, and this other site is real, then hats off to bitfury, but ill stick with knc..... I'm skeptical of the post, because its not on bitfury's site even. bitfury.org doesn't mention it.

Bitfury uses a "reseller" type system, they don't sell direct.  Here is the thread where US sales were conducted:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-usnorth-american-bitfury-sales-new-stock-now-shipping-251966

EU Sales:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-bitfury-asic-sales-in-eu-and-europe-250249

Like KNC, they are presales, so all buyers be warned.

EDIT: Bitfuy does post directly in those threads to validate them as official resellers.  FYI.
With all respect to bitfury for what he made, nut do you really want to compare a product which costs more than triple the price for power comsumption? I mean, if KNC went for the same price you could compare them, but try to get how long it would take KNC to break even in total cost. 15k in power cost is more than 10 years running continually in Germany... And we have one of the highest power costs worldwide....
aaah, binning,  Well, look at it this way...KNC has high-end machines, less orders to fill, with a long track record of development, I know they didn't overlook binning the chips. They will probably be selecting those with the best performance, and selling the rest, who knows.

That would make the most sense to get all the GH/s from the wafer they can.

You guys get me wrong, that I want KNC to fail, and that is simply not the case.  I just want more evidence (chip shots please!) to feel better about them.

Anyway, time for lunch.  Take care gents (are there any gals in this place?).
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
LIR DEV
aaah, binning,  Well, look at it this way...KNC has high-end machines, less orders to fill, with a long track record of development, I know they didn't overlook binning the chips. They will probably be selecting those with the best performance, and selling the rest, who knows.
Jump to: