Pages:
Author

Topic: Transparent mining 2, or What part of Legacy should be left behind - page 11. (Read 15616 times)

legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1000
Pegging INSIDE the NXT ASSET EXCHANGE would be Decentralized....as I said I need real time with the Asset Exchange to take my solution forward.

This makes no sense at all - in order to peg NxtUSD to say NxtAUD *inside* the Asset Exchange would mean that the actual USD/AUD exchange rate has to be ignored (as that by definition is *outside* the AE).

So by definition you can't peg those currencies to each other in any meaningful way - you might decide you are going to always exchange 1 NxtUSD for 1 NxtAUD and the opposite but even that won't work unless you have exactly the same amount of either.

My aim is a fix price scenario...I will continue thinking along this line once I have some actual experience with the Asset Exchange.

Lets discuss after a month.  Smiley
Activity: 910
So the only problem I have now is, that I don't see any news with his 2nd plan. Anyone, please?

Nothing really new.

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
So the only problem I have now is, that I don't see any news with his 2nd plan. Anyone, please?

Nothing really new.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82
FORGET IOU....I'm not even talking about IOU's.

You are - but let's look at what you say "next" (pun intended).

Example: NXTMONEY is pegged at 1 USD....so everyone who has or wants to receive NXTMONEY knows that it is worth 1 USD, 1 YEN, 1 CNY for example locally in his country.

This is the problem - *how* is it *pegged*?

It can only be so if some individual or group is "guaranteeing" to accept it for 1 USD (or whatever) but if that person/group decides that they are not worth it (for whatever reason - maybe they don't have any USD left) then your *pegging* has just failed and in fact the coins are worth ZERO.

This is why they are not *actual* USDs (or whatever) - they are actually IOUs - this is EXACTLY how Ripple works.

That is what I was talking over and over again.

NXT has no control over offchain activities. It's humans that have. They decide whether they accept it or not. If not, *boff* value=0.
BCNext doesn't propose to change 1B limit, he is even against it coz this would break forging. His idea is similar to issuance of eDollars on Asset Exchange.

Oh - I thought the purpose of the Asset Exchange was always going to be for such things. At the end of the day I think that the AE just brings the Nxt functionality closer to Ripple (which may or may not be a good thing).

NXTs r not coins, at least the creator of Nxt didn't want them to be coins.

I have a problem to understand where the difference is now

- CfB always said there should be coins on top of Nxt
- Now BCNext says there should be coins on top of Nxt and this should be the sole purpose of Nxt.

Since you need NXT for this coins, NXT will automatically gets evaluated (high) and BCNext idea of using NXT as coins cannot become real because NXT will get traded like gold coins, e.g. eDollars backed by NXT, dollars (long time ago) backed by gold. Wrong?

edit: Or is this a terminology problem, because 'gold coins' are no coins?

What's problem? Scarcity of a precious and in this case I mean really precious good is what make that precious good a perfect thing for a basis. Even better than gold because it cannot be created by mining or nuclear fusion.

Hm, looks like this is a problem with my English. BCNext's idea is that NXTs shouldn't be used as mean of exchange.

BCNext doesn't propose to change 1B limit, he is even against it coz this would break forging. His idea is similar to issuance of eDollars on Asset Exchange.

Oh - I thought the purpose of the Asset Exchange was always going to be for such things. At the end of the day I think that the AE just brings the Nxt functionality closer to Ripple (which may or may not be a good thing).

NXTs r not coins, at least the creator of Nxt didn't want them to be coins.

I have a problem to understand where the difference is now

- CfB always said there should be coins on top of Nxt
- Now BCNext says there should be coins on top of Nxt and this should be the sole purpose of Nxt.

Since you need NXT for this coins, NXT will automatically gets evaluated (high) and BCNext idea of using NXT as coins cannot become real because NXT will get traded like gold coins, e.g. eDollars backed by NXT, dollars (long time ago) backed by gold. Wrong?

What's problem? Scarcity of a precious and in this case I mean really precious good is what make that precious good a perfect thing for a basis. Even better than gold because it cannot be created by mining or nuclear fusion.
Changing the total supply from 1B to something else would be a lot more controversial than reducing the fees - effectively that amount was a "promise" made at the outset so if that promise were to be broken I would expect some investors (especially the 73 initial ones) would be unhappy about that (actually it would probably upset those who have invested at recent "market prices" much more than the 73 as they have already probably each taken large profits from their initial investment).

I don't want it either. Especially after reading that paper and thinking through TF thoroughly.
The btc tx bug seems to be known since ages. It is more of a exchange bug I think.
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1086
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer
Pegging INSIDE the NXT ASSET EXCHANGE would be Decentralized....as I said I need real time with the Asset Exchange to take my solution forward.

This makes no sense at all - in order to peg NxtUSD to say NxtAUD *inside* the Asset Exchange would mean that the actual USD/AUD exchange rate has to be ignored (as that by definition is *outside* the AE).

So by definition you can't peg those currencies to each other in any meaningful way - you might decide you are going to always exchange 1 NxtUSD for 1 NxtAUD and the opposite but even that won't work unless you have exactly the same amount of either.
Activity: 266
Merit: 100
NXT is the future
MtGox: Bitcoin Transaction Malleability bug

https://www.mtgox.com/press_release_20140210.html
BTC Crash!

"Note that this will also affect any other crypto-currency using the same transaction scheme as Bitcoin."
NXT not affected!! Smiley

marketing should jump on this and use it immediately
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Nxt could have a special kind of asset backed by fixed amount of NXT.

But if we aren't supposed to "trade NXT" then that wouldn't have any value then would it?

The point is that we are NOT supposed to do anything, it's up to the community how to develop Nxt further.

I think it is best for NXT to have multiple purposes.

1 - As a store of value because of it's scarcity.

2 - As an intermediate currency between IOUs issued on the asset exchange.

IMO, of all things, NXT - as the base unit - is like gold. It backs up everything in the system because everything can be traded for it, the supply is constant, and its value (within the NXT ecosystem) is guaranteed by the protocol. EDIT: Plus, it makes sense, people don't use gold as currency (anymore) but it still has huge store of value.

And holy shit, why is NXT still tied to BTC... maybe we should contact coinbase to do USD/NXT pair Smiley
legendary

+1

Any type of "pegging" is centralization.  This is the antithesis of Nxt's ideology.

legendary

1 - As a store of value because of it's scarcity.

I agree (and had always thought that was the intention).

The mistake that Ripple made was to make all the statements about Ripples just being "postage stamps" and having no real value and then suddenly hyping their value after launching and giving away "coins" (a small percentage). If they had been more honest about it in the first place people would not have been so turned off by it and so far I think Nxt has been far more honest (so no need to go and do the "reverse" of Ripple).

But if we aren't supposed to "trade NXT" then that wouldn't have any value then would it?

The point is that we are NOT supposed to do anything, it's up to the community how to develop Nxt further.

Let me rephrase his question:

If we don't "trade NXT" then that wouldn't have any value then would it?
Activity: 644
I have been working on a solution in my mind for a couple weeks now....I will explain it once Asset Exchange testing starts and we play around for some time....right now it's only in our minds....at least I had the luxury of speaking to a PhD who has been testing the Asset Exchange for some time now but there are still black spots in my thinking.

Best of luck with it - but my guess is you end up with something like "Bitshares" who think that just because you call something bitUSD then it will magically be "worth" 1 USD because of it being a "prediction market".

I don't think that holds water at all nor any kind of other "pegging" unless you are talking about the kind of "pegging" that governments do (like Hong Kong's pegging of the HKD to the USD) which is not at all what I think people interested in "decentralised" solutions are looking for.

+1

Any type of "pegging" is centralization.  This is the antithesis of Nxt's ideology.
Activity: 644

1 - As a store of value because of its scarcity.

legendary
I have been working on a solution in my mind for a couple weeks now....I will explain it once Asset Exchange testing starts and we play around for some time....right now it's only in our minds....at least I had the luxury of speaking to a PhD who has been testing the Asset Exchange for some time now but there are still black spots in my thinking.

Best of luck with it - but my guess is you end up with something like "Bitshares" who think that just because you call something bitUSD then it will magically be "worth" 1 USD because of it being a "prediction market".

I don't think that holds water at all nor any kind of other "pegging" unless you are talking about the kind of "pegging" that governments do (like Hong Kong's pegging of the HKD to the USD) which is not at all what I think people interested in "decentralised" solutions are looking for.
legendary
FORGET IOU....I'm not even talking about IOU's.

You are - but let's look at what you say "next" (pun intended).

Example: NXTMONEY is pegged at 1 USD....so everyone who has or wants to receive NXTMONEY knows that it is worth 1 USD, 1 YEN, 1 CNY for example locally in his country.

This is the problem - *how* is it *pegged*?

It can only be so if some individual or group is "guaranteeing" to accept it for 1 USD (or whatever) but if that person/group decides that they are not worth it (for whatever reason - maybe they don't have any USD left) then your *pegging* has just failed and in fact the coins are worth ZERO.

This is why they are not *actual* USDs (or whatever) - they are actually IOUs - this is EXACTLY how Ripple works.

I have been working on a solution in my mind for a couple weeks now....I will explain it once Asset Exchange testing starts and we play around for some time....right now it's only concepts in our minds....at least I had the luxury of speaking to a PhD who has been testing the Asset Exchange for some time now but there are still black spots in my thinking.

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

legendary

Pages:
Jump to: