Pages:
Author

Topic: Transparent mining 2, or What part of Legacy should be left behind - page 7. (Read 15616 times)

Activity: 376
Merit: 300
Like it or not, most people are selfish. These words from BCNext mostly apply to some ideal world, not ours. IMHO.
I think selfish is a wrong term, I and a lot of people want to make money/business on a new revolutionary way: Cryptocurrency. What is selfish about that? Then every business is selffish, it is always about making money and provide food and shelter for your family. Reward the forgers and youw ill get a lot of forgers!

I tink all these are ideas are interesting and fascinating, but very hard to understand for Average Joe... And me. Wink

Yes, "selfish" is probably a bit too strong; but, in fact, we agree in essence. It is quite normal for people to expect a reward for resources invested. And this reward should be immediately convertible to  food and shelter money for one's family, which (I mean, the family Smiley ) is the most important thing in the world. So it is natural that a forger expects some profit, and that's why the fees should stay, in one way or another.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010
Owning NXT is somewhat like owning shares in a virtual public company.  The shares were issued all at once, but they happen to be coins that are traded on crypto markets, which is nice because they are accessible to anyone.  They just happen to function as both shares and as the resource used in the network itself.

The forging fees are not attractive right now as an incentive for profit because there is no real activity yet.  To me, forging fees are more of a programmatic "dividend" that is built into the shares.  You are only paid this dividend if you show up to shareholder meetings (run a node).

This is an important point. Nxt is about transactions being done. It does nothing if no one doesn't dó anything. Any discussion about whether or not forging is profitable is moot until activity gets going.

What do you need to get activity? Services, and lots of them. This is one of the reasons I like incentivising service providers to forge.

That way the "passive" forgers (I like that term better than "selfish", because they too are providing a service to the network) will also get some of the dividend, but it will be less than the "active" forgers, who are actually making the network more attractive to use and also provide extra traffic and transactions.

As I said, in the proposed system, there still is a place for passive forging, but the gains will be much lower than for active forgers.

Tit for tat.

I completely agree!

Something, I would like to add: whatever ratio of passive/active forging we strive to, we should do the transition as smoothly as possible. Humans cannot bear change and especially not abrupt change.

I return my agreement with this Smiley Easy does it.

I also would like to add that terminology is important and would like to opt to keep the passiva/active forging terminology.

If "selfish" is used, prepare for a fight. Human nature and all that Smiley Also, "passives" are still providing something of value.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82
Owning NXT is somewhat like owning shares in a virtual public company.  The shares were issued all at once, but they happen to be coins that are traded on crypto markets, which is nice because they are accessible to anyone.  They just happen to function as both shares and as the resource used in the network itself.

The forging fees are not attractive right now as an incentive for profit because there is no real activity yet.  To me, forging fees are more of a programmatic "dividend" that is built into the shares.  You are only paid this dividend if you show up to shareholder meetings (run a node).

This is an important point. Nxt is about transactions being done. It does nothing if no one doesn't dó anything. Any discussion about whether or not forging is profitable is moot until activity gets going.

What do you need to get activity? Services, and lots of them. This is one of the reasons I like incentivising service providers to forge.

That way the "passive" forgers (I like that term better than "selfish", because they too are providing a service to the network) will also get some of the dividend, but it will be less than the "active" forgers, who are actually making the network more attractive to use and also provide extra traffic and transactions.

As I said, in the proposed system, there still is a place for passive forging, but the gains will be much lower than for active forgers.

Tit for tat.

I completely agree!

Something, I would like to add: whatever ratio of passive/active forging we strive to, we should do the transition as smoothly as possible. Humans cannot bear change and especially not abrupt change.
Okay, I do it:

The forger:
 - has to have a client
 - risks all his stake if the client is malicious
 - risks his hardware if the client is not secured against malicious attacks
 - has to pay the electricity bill
 - has to pay for the hardware/renewal of such
 - has to pay for a place that hardware can exist in
 - has to pay for the bandwidth he contributes to the network
 - has to implement security measures (attacks, heat etc.)

I think there is pretty much at stake, literally.

So, forgers should be paid for their expenses. But nothing more or just a little bit of it.

As I said, I see forger as an equivalent to bankers with a most important difference (both keep the system running):
- forgers do the least what is necessary to sustain the system - verifying transactions and doing all the hard computational work
- bankers generate the drive to keep the system running by generating money and debts (watch the videos of freigeist) and therefore creating the urge of the society to drive forward, work and repay debts

Bankers have the unfair advantage of creating and manipulating the ways the system works. They therefore make profit at the expense of others.

Forgers can't and therefore don't. BUT they have to be compensated. The (compensation - expenses) should be close to 0 but maybe bit more to create incentive for people to join and explore the possibilities of NXT.

When Account Controls are implemented, I imagine you can simply lease a "puppet" account your forging power. So you could have a 10mil+ NXT account forging through an account with 1 NXT, so the only risk you take is is the 1 NXT.

It's a tradeoff. If your business relies on NXT being healthy, then you have a very good reason for forge. If you're simply a user with a small balance, but you aren't really affected by hiccups in the service, then obviously you wouldn't forge.

Tbh, I think the rewards justify forging, although it may seem not to be so. For example, if you hold Bitcoin, you are paying a ~10% inflation tax every year. Your stash is literally generating -10% BTC a year.

In NXT, your stash (according to jL7777) appreciates by 0.5% a year. This is a +10.5% difference vs. BTC per year.

So, what's your point?

Just because, we might be might workaround some security issues does not mean the forger can lean back forever.
Just to make that sure: There will always be a bug! Could somebody create a meme for that?

The real world/hardware etc. issue won't go away anyway.
legendary

Tit for tat.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
But it is not fair!

What r u talking about? Nxt offers the most fair way.

It's more fair if we pay the transaction fees directly to server operators.
Do u think there'll be better security if forgers'll get nothing for their job? I don't think so. There'd be forgers competition for fees and best possible decision to secure network (protected public node with wide bandwidth and skilled operator cost some resourses).

Remember, forging - way to secure system. Only then, may be, business itself.

Exactly. Leave forging the way it is. Competition is good.

Can you please explain what job a forger doing other that unlocking his client and leaving the software open?
But the network is not just these nodes! the network needs servers that is now working by donation! IMHO that is not fair!
Just my opinion!

I'm personally may open a client to forge, but why should I arrange several servers/ VPS around the world to Handle the network? Just because I'm a Nxt holder? Just because donations?

That is not enough for long term plan!

Okay, I do it:

The forger:
 - has to have a client

So, forgers should be paid for their expenses. But nothing more or just a little bit of it.

As I said, I see forger as an equivalent to bankers with a most important difference (both keep the system running):
- forgers do the least what is necessary to sustain the system - verifying transactions and doing all the hard computational work
- bankers generate the drive to keep the system running by generating money and debts (watch the videos of freigeist) and therefore creating the urge of the society to drive forward, work and repay debts

Bankers have the unfair advantage of creating and manipulating the ways the system works. They therefore make profit at the expense of others.

Forgers can't and therefore don't. BUT they have to be compensated. The (compensation - expenses) should be close to 0 but maybe bit more to create incentive for people to join and explore the possibilities of NXT.

When Account Controls are implemented, I imagine you can simply lease a "puppet" account your forging power. So you could have a 10mil+ NXT account forging through an account with 1 NXT, so the only risk you take is is the 1 NXT.

It's a tradeoff. If your business relies on NXT being healthy, then you have a very good reason for forge. If you're simply a user with a small balance, but you aren't really affected by hiccups in the service, then obviously you wouldn't forge.

Tbh, I think the rewards justify forging, although it may seem not to be so. For example, if you hold Bitcoin, you are paying a ~10% inflation tax every year. Your stash is literally generating -10% BTC a year.

In NXT, your stash (according to jL7777) appreciates by 0.5% a year. This is a +10.5% difference vs. BTC per year.
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

interesting.
Activity: 93
Merit: 10

"Wall street complex financial instruments were actually designed by mathematicians and Nobel-tracked physicists, who used algorithms and computer models to reconstitute the unreliable loans in a way that was supposed to eliminate most of the risk.

But you can't model human behavior with math."
But it is not fair!

Do u think there'll be better security if forgers'll get nothing for their job? I don't think so. There'd be forgers competition for fees and best possible decision to secure network (protected public node with wide bandwidth and skilled operator cost some resourses).

Can you please explain what job a forger doing other that unlocking his client and leaving the software open?
But the network is not just these nodes! the network needs servers that is now working by donation! IMHO that is not fair!
Just my opinion!

I'm personally may open a client to forge, but why should I arrange several servers/ VPS around the world to Handle the network? Just because I'm a Nxt holder? Just because donations?

Okay, I do it:

The forger:
 - has to have a client

legendary
Activity: 1205
Mining reward is another obsolete part. True reward for supporting Nxt network comes from services that use Nxt. Someone owns a currency exchange and mine blocks to keep his business running. Another one owns a shop and mine blocks to keep his business running. The 3rd person owns a software company that develops programs for Nxt-based services and mine blocks to keep his business running. Selfish miners (those who mine only to earn fees) should be "removed" from the system, they r not interested in success of Nxt and only want to cash-out. If a clone appears such the people will likely jump to another ship, they add very little value to Nxt. All this doesn't mean that we should get rid of fees completely, we still need them as a countermeasure against spamming.

I like the idea, but then, I always liked the idea of "something for something".

+1

Like it or not, most people are selfish. These words from BCNext mostly apply to some ideal world, not ours. IMHO.
I think selfish is a wrong term, I and a lot of people want to make money/business on a new revolutionary way: Cryptocurrency. What is selfish about that? Then every business is selffish, it is always about making money and provide food and shelter for your family. Reward the forgers and youw ill get a lot of forgers!

I tink all these are ideas are interesting and fascinating, but very hard to understand for Average Joe... And me. Wink
legendary
Activity: 2184
Sorry bit off topic....if anyone has seen the new Robocop movie then you will see clearly why anonymous encrypted internet/calling/messaging/platforms will be a staple of the future.

(leaked today from our dear friend ED)

‘Gilgamesh’ and ‘Shenanigans’

Instead of accessing cellphone metadata through cell phone towers and internet service providers, the NSA uses a program called Gilgamesh. To be able to track the cellphones of potential targets a special device known as a ‘virtual base-tower transceiver’ has to be installed on the drone. The transceiver emits a signal that forces the target’s mobile to lock into the NSA’s system, allowing the target to be tracked to within 30 feet of their location.

As well as Gilgamesh, the NSA has developed a program known as ‘Shenanigans’ that acts like a giant cyber vacuum cleaner. A pod on an aircraft downloads massive amounts of information from any wireless networks, smart phones, computers, or other electronic devices that are within range.

The world needs the Nxt Ecosystem....
Activity: 72
Merit: 11
Same here. I,m running 3 24/7 nodes weeks ago. Motivation is not forging rewards, is Nxt and his concept.

I think that the idea of reducing the fees by a factor of 10 or 100 is likely to pretty much completely get rid of the "mining mentality" (and will increase the # of transactions made) although one does need to be careful perhaps not to do this too soon as currently the "forging reward" is one of the main factors motivating people to run nodes.

My VPS Node has been running since the DDos war and my motivation is not forging rewards....my motivation is to keep Nxt running...period.

donator
Activity: 362
Owning NXT is somewhat like owning shares in a virtual public company.  The shares were issued all at once, but they happen to be coins that are traded on crypto markets, which is nice because they are accessible to anyone.  They function as both shares and as the resource used in the network itself.

The forging fees are not attractive right now as an incentive for profit because there is no real activity yet.  To me, forging fees are more of a programmatic "dividend" that is built into the shares.  You are only paid this dividend if you show up to shareholder meetings (run a client with an unlocked account)(run a node).
Activity: 399
Cryptocurrency Evangelist
But it is not fair!

Just my opinion!

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

I really hate having to go through BTC first via coinbase, because I have to wait 4 days before I get my BTC and then transfer them into NXT. During that time, prices tend to move Grin

Does coinbase have some kind of petition form? I'm surprised they still deal only in BTC.

http://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/emails/new

In regards to Part 2 of Transparent Mining.  I personally think it's essential that coins are built on top of Nxt.  Otherwise, we are no different than BTC or new POS clones. We can create a huge market all of which relies on Nxt as the infrastructure.  I would also go so far as to propose that any new Nxtcoin is required to send 10000Nxt to genesis at time of creation.  Thus we are reducing supply of Nxt while adding value since Nxt would be required for creation of Nxtcoin.  All Nxtcoins would start with the same value (10k Nxt) Would also be great because individuals can fund raise Nxt in order to create a new Nxtcoin.  Nxt would become immensely valuable with that model and eventually all Nxt could be replaced with Nxtcoins.  
Activity: 910
I have been working on shifting our focus to bring in doers who have the talent and willpower to contribute to the NXT ecosystem. NXT is an innovator's platform, so I feel that we should be showing that side more. I am currently working with Anon136 on writing a letter, on behalf of the NXT community, that will appeal to businessmen and academics, because these are the people who will bring NXT to the top. Average users will come in time when the ecosystem is more established.

+1
Activity: 376
Merit: 300

Just read the "Proof-of-Learning" article, where "learning" is a bit of a misnomer, but this is already a way of getting a huge adoption. I disagree that even with the "idealistic" setup, it will be restricted. People will play with the "rules".
If you go by the "Proof-of-Learning" model, you could still get huge returns on just running memes.  Cheesy

Thanks for the link! But I doubt that such a thing could really work - too many abuse possibilities...

Also, this
If say 1,000 different humans read the published content to completion, then the content now has proof-of-value. At that point the content creator gets issued 50 tokens.
would mean that (almost) all scientists (and, certainly, all mathematicians) are doomed in such a system  Wink
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
Ah, okay. Is this a technical limitation, or would it just be a very bad idea?

BCNext was talking about payments only - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/nxt-instant-transactions-with-guaranteed-confirmation-316104
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Nxt could have a special kind of asset backed by fixed amount of NXT.

But if we aren't supposed to "trade NXT" then that wouldn't have any value then would it?

The point is that we are NOT supposed to do anything, it's up to the community how to develop Nxt further.

I think it is best for NXT to have multiple purposes.

1 - As a store of value because of it's scarcity.

2 - As an intermediate currency between IOUs issued on the asset exchange.

IMO, of all things, NXT - as the base unit - is like gold. It backs up everything in the system because everything can be traded for it, the supply is constant, and its value (within the NXT ecosystem) is guaranteed by the protocol. EDIT: Plus, it makes sense, people don't use gold as currency (anymore) but it still has huge store of value.

And holy shit, why is NXT still tied to BTC... maybe we should contact coinbase to do USD/NXT pair Smiley

I can't tell you how many times I've emailed coinbase to add Nxt.

I really hate having to go through BTC first via coinbase, because I have to wait 4 days before I get my BTC and then transfer them into NXT. During that time, prices tend to move Grin

Does coinbase have some kind of petition form? I'm surprised they still deal only in BTC.
legendary
Mining reward is another obsolete part. True reward for supporting Nxt network comes from services that use Nxt. Someone owns a currency exchange and mine blocks to keep his business running. Another one owns a shop and mine blocks to keep his business running. The 3rd person owns a software company that develops programs for Nxt-based services and mine blocks to keep his business running. Selfish miners (those who mine only to earn fees) should be "removed" from the system, they r not interested in success of Nxt and only want to cash-out. If a clone appears such the people will likely jump to another ship, they add very little value to Nxt. All this doesn't mean that we should get rid of fees completely, we still need them as a countermeasure against spamming.

I like the idea, but then, I always liked the idea of "something for something".

+1

But BCNext explicitly states that clones will fix that problem, which they will. There will be room for clones that will reward the forgers who just want to forge, because there are people who want to do just that. This is what I like about the evolving world of the cryptos. The clone won't be bad, it will cater to a different niche. I say good luck to them and will mean it.

But, I am trader and merchant enough to see loads of interesting opportunities for people like me, who want to carve out a niche in Nxt, too Smiley

The upshot it also that if Nxt doesn't do this, probably someone else will make a clone who does it. Smiley
I wanted to say that, basically, if something is not interesting for selfish people, then this something cannot become widespread, it is doomed to remain restricted to a small community. Well, I'm afraid it will not work if we say "you have to run a Nxt node for the sake of better world!"...

Also, I think that saying "there is a clone that would do what you want" is strategically not good   Smiley

Just read the "Proof-of-Learning" article, where "learning" is a bit of a misnomer, but this is already a way of getting a huge adoption. I disagree that even with the "idealistic" setup, it will be restricted. People will play with the "rules".
If you go by the "Proof-of-Learning" model, you could still get huge returns on just running memes.  Cheesy

People will find ways to monetise with the least amount of work anyway.

But I get your point. I am just trying to not let go of mine Wink

Pages:
Jump to: