Pages:
Author

Topic: Transparent mining 2, or What part of Legacy should be left behind - page 8. (Read 15616 times)

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004
Nxt could have a special kind of asset backed by fixed amount of NXT.

But if we aren't supposed to "trade NXT" then that wouldn't have any value then would it?

The point is that we are NOT supposed to do anything, it's up to the community how to develop Nxt further.

I think it is best for NXT to have multiple purposes.

1 - As a store of value because of it's scarcity.

2 - As an intermediate currency between IOUs issued on the asset exchange.

IMO, of all things, NXT - as the base unit - is like gold. It backs up everything in the system because everything can be traded for it, the supply is constant, and its value (within the NXT ecosystem) is guaranteed by the protocol. EDIT: Plus, it makes sense, people don't use gold as currency (anymore) but it still has huge store of value.

And holy shit, why is NXT still tied to BTC... maybe we should contact coinbase to do USD/NXT pair Smiley

I can't tell you how many times I've emailed coinbase to add Nxt.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
I like the idea forging as business. But still don't undestrand why average person buying a 100000 NXT will not be able to forge.

Mining made bitcoin so famous, because people can do something for the idea at home and earn real money.

What I'm missing?

Maybe you're missing the fact there's many things you can do for the idea at home and earn value. Promotion, development, trading, third party services, etc.

It's important to start changing the mining=forging mentality, and the mining paradigm itself. It will be obsolete soon. The real new paradigm for adoption should rather be something like proof of learning, while proof of stake is a way of securing the network, not an easy buck.

Thank you for very interesting link to the proof of learning. As you can see I'm working a lot to help promote Nxt in the way I know. I would be very happy in case I could be payed by the system for my renderings.

It is Nxt in some way transforming to the POL - proof of learning system? It could be great too. Then we should stop promoting Nxt's forging on the boat in pacific with mobile phone.

I like all yours high level ideas. We shouldn't forget about average people newly interested about Nxt.

I have been working on shifting our focus to bring in doers who have the talent and willpower to contribute to the NXT ecosystem. NXT is an innovator's platform, so I feel that we should be showing that side more. I am currently working with Anon136 on writing a letter, on behalf of the NXT community, that will appeal to businessmen and academics, because these are the people who will bring NXT to the top. Average users will come in time when the ecosystem is more established.
Activity: 376
Merit: 300
Mining reward is another obsolete part. True reward for supporting Nxt network comes from services that use Nxt. Someone owns a currency exchange and mine blocks to keep his business running. Another one owns a shop and mine blocks to keep his business running. The 3rd person owns a software company that develops programs for Nxt-based services and mine blocks to keep his business running. Selfish miners (those who mine only to earn fees) should be "removed" from the system, they r not interested in success of Nxt and only want to cash-out. If a clone appears such the people will likely jump to another ship, they add very little value to Nxt. All this doesn't mean that we should get rid of fees completely, we still need them as a countermeasure against spamming.

I like the idea, but then, I always liked the idea of "something for something".

+1

Like it or not, most people are selfish. These words from BCNext mostly apply to some ideal world, not ours. IMHO.

But BCNext explicitly states that clones will fix that problem, which they will. There will be room for clones that will reward the forgers who just want to forge, because there are people who want to do just that. This is what I like about the evolving world of the cryptos. The clone won't be bad, it will cater to a different niche. I say good luck to them and will mean it.

But, I am trader and merchant enough to see loads of interesting opportunities for people like me, who want to carve out a niche in Nxt, too Smiley

The upshot it also that if Nxt doesn't do this, probably someone else will make a clone who does it. Smiley
I wanted to say that, basically, if something is not interesting for selfish people, then this something cannot become widespread, it is doomed to remain restricted to a small community. Well, I'm afraid it will not work if we say "you have to run a Nxt node for the sake of better world!"...

Also, I think that saying "there is a clone that would do what you want" is strategically not good   Smiley
Activity: 224
I can't imagine why somebody who is selling t-shirts or anything else should be forger and nobody else.

I like the idea forging as business. But still don't undestrand why average person buying a 100000 NXT will not be able to forge.

Mining made bitcoin so famous, because people can do something for the idea at home and earn real money.

What I'm missing?

I think "self-less" (not forging for profit) forging is great in many aspects:

1) Encourages people who run businesses to forge. These people actually contribute to the ecosystem. This aligns being productive with keeping the network secure.
2) PoW mining is "popular" because it is extremely selfish. Bitcoin was designed so that this selfish desire is aligned with securing the network, but I'd wager most miners could care less about bitcoin as long as they are making money. Also, since the introduction of PoS, PoW is completely obsolete (besides running turing-complete scripts, but that still works better in a PoS system where there are a lot of free computer resources).
3) You can forge with 100000 NXT, something like 1 block every 2 days? I agree that it's not profitable to do on it's own. But reading BCNext's and c-f-b posts, it is more than likely there will be coins built on-top of the NXT ecosystem. I'm sure someone will make a very profitable PoW coin.

Or am I getting this completely wrong, c-f-b? I know you explained this somewhere before, but I'll be honest, I did not understand it Grin

Instant transactions work only for usual payments.

Ah, okay. Is this a technical limitation, or would it just be a very bad idea?
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
Q1) When BCNext says "issued in quantities to keep their value constant", would issuing NXT Assets in fixed denominations like 1 BTC, 1 USD, etc. satisfy this? I want to fully understand what is being said and this is tricky especially if second hand and different language.

Q2) I think adding support to NXT so that it is able to see or even issue offchain transactions is the only way to extend transparency beyond NXT blockchain. Is there a way simpler than using indistinguishability obfuscator that can be used to trust offchain results from peers? Would carefully designing matched pairs of subroutines to 1) invoke and 2) verify offchain actions be adequate to create trustable transactions despite Evil Bob's best efforts?

Q3) In general, am I on the right track with NXTlayers, NXTplugins, crosschain transactions, automated gateways, NXTcash, blockchain FIFO, etc?

I'm interested in the answers.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010
Mining reward is another obsolete part. True reward for supporting Nxt network comes from services that use Nxt. Someone owns a currency exchange and mine blocks to keep his business running. Another one owns a shop and mine blocks to keep his business running. The 3rd person owns a software company that develops programs for Nxt-based services and mine blocks to keep his business running. Selfish miners (those who mine only to earn fees) should be "removed" from the system, they r not interested in success of Nxt and only want to cash-out. If a clone appears such the people will likely jump to another ship, they add very little value to Nxt. All this doesn't mean that we should get rid of fees completely, we still need them as a countermeasure against spamming.

I like the idea, but then, I always liked the idea of "something for something".

+1

Like it or not, most people are selfish. These words from BCNext mostly apply to some ideal world, not ours. IMHO.

But BCNext explicitly states that clones will fix that problem, which they will. There will be room for clones that will reward the forgers who just want to forge, because there are people who want to do just that. This is what I like about the evolving world of the cryptos. The clone won't be bad, it will cater to a different niche. I say good luck to them and will mean it.

But, I am trader and merchant enough to see loads of interesting opportunities for people like me, who want to carve out a niche in Nxt, too Smiley

The upshot it also that if Nxt doesn't do this, probably someone else will make a clone who does it. Smiley
Activity: 180

What I'm missing?

Maybe you're missing the fact there's many things you can do for the idea at home and earn value. Promotion, development, trading, third party services, etc.

It's important to start changing the mining=forging mentality, and the mining paradigm itself. It will be obsolete soon. The real new paradigm for adoption should rather be something like proof of learning, while proof of stake is a way of securing the network, not an easy buck.

Thank you for very interesting link to the proof of learning. As you can see I'm working a lot to help promote Nxt in the way I know. I would be very happy in case I could be payed by the system for my renderings.

It is Nxt in some way transforming to the POL - proof of learning system? It could be great too. Then we should stop promoting Nxt's forging on the boat in pacific with mobile phone.

I like all yours high level ideas. We shouldn't forget about average people newly interested about Nxt.

+1

legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010
I can't imagine why somebody who is selling t-shirts or anything else should be forger and nobody else.

What I'm missing?

@marek3ball: as far as I see, there is nothing stopping anyone from forging and nothing else. It will just be unprofitable compared to forging and offering services. I could set up my shop and reduce or eliminate the running costs by being able to run my shop by using my forging gains to pay for servers etc. I and many with me would like that.

As BCNext says, there still will be systems (if this gets implemented you can bet on it!) that will let you forge and just do nothing. It's that BCNext's vision for Nxt is that it won't do that. Someone will come along to clone Nxt and attract the "selfish" forgers who want to get rich by basically running a program. That isn't bad in itself, but it could be much better.

There are many people who would be willing to get in on it, so the system will filter out users by itself. Market: pure and simple.

NXTs as coins... NXTs r not coins, at least the creator of Nxt didn't want them to be coins. They r tokens that grant privileges to support Nxt. Deflation is not much better than inflation, "real" coins should be created on top of Nxt and be issued in quantities that keep their value constant. BCNext understands that this is very arguable, the community should decide if it wants to follow the path showed by him or stick to Bitcoin legacy with unchangeable supply of coins in hope to become rich by doing nothing.

Nothing in here says Nxt (tokens) will have no value. Their value lies in the "privileges". That makes them a valued possession. Nxt (tokens) are the basis of the system and as such will be in demand. Anything else just refers to them. Their ultimate value is in the fact that they enable the use of (or more of) the Nxt ecology. I see no problems in their value. As such they would resemble red blood cells that are essential to the operation of the living body, whatever that body does.

My 2 Nxt (or whatever equivalent you prefer)

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
Or am I getting this completely wrong, c-f-b? I know you explained this somewhere before, but I'll be honest, I did not understand it Grin

Instant transactions work only for usual payments.
Activity: 178
Mining is still possible - for coins built on top of Nxt. As far as i know Come-from-Beyond is actually almost ready with such a coin. (Lakshmi)
Activity: 460
Merit: 250

What I'm missing?

What I'm missing?
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1134
I think it is best for NXT to have multiple purposes.

1 - As a store of value because of its scarcity.

2 - As an intermediate currency between IOUs issued on the asset exchange.
I totally agree with this.
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
That's exactly my opinion, too.
So nevermind, I misread  Smiley
Activity: 178
1) There will be zero forge income for people just buying NXT because it is great platform?

2) How should look real example of successfully forging individual?

As far as i understood it, people will buy it because:

1st:
That is my understanding, too. And CfB said something similar also, I think (coins for currency, NXT for value)

NXT itself is backed by power to influence on the whole system. If u own 1M NXT then u'll forge each 1000th block. And u can charge fiat money for inclusion transactions into blocks.

I'd like to add that this "power" is very valuable. If u forge the next block u decide what orders to include into it. And this decision will change the market.

NXT -> Power -> Ability to change the world

2nd:
They will buy it to exchange it for coins backed buy Nxt and use those coins as a means of exchange

3rd:
Business in the Nxt ecosystem will buy and forge it to support the network which serves their businesses
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82
As I understand it, it arises as a result from low fees. A very low incentive to forge.
But system needs thousands of independent forgers across the world, while merchant community's rising up. But after that how do u insist forgers to install code that makes their buisness a waste of time?

Oh, sorry. I do not understand what you mean by: "do u insist forgers to install code that makes their buisness a waste of time" Could you paraphrase it?

IMO: better way is position forging as business. Someone'll bake bread, someone'll forge to secure Nxt ecosystem. I don't see so much difference. IT-business for everyone. And good way to redistribute money.

That's exactly my opinion, too.

I would compare forgers with banks. They keep the system running by verifying the transactions and the like. One thing I dislike about banks is that they create money (cf. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/money-as-debt-documentary-193376) and therefore rely on an every-increasing industry. So, they push it forward.

Something I would like is a NXT ecosystem that relies on NXT but forgers aren't the ones pushing it forward. The ecosystem on top of NXT should do that.

So, in the end, they may get a piece of the cake to sustain the forging and a bit more of it but they shouldn't be given the power to create NXTs .
1) There will be zero forge income for people just buying NXT because it is great platform?

2) How should look real example of successfully forging individual?
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
As I understand it, it arises as a result from low fees. A very low incentive to forge.
But system needs thousands of independent forgers across the world, while merchant community's rising up. But after that how do u insist forgers to install code that makes their buisness a waste of time?

IMO: better way is position forging as business. Someone'll bake bread, someone'll forge to secure Nxt ecosystem. I don't see so much difference. IT-business for everyone. And good way to redistribute money.
Pages:
Jump to: