Pages:
Author

Topic: Transparent mining 2, or What part of Legacy should be left behind - page 6. (Read 15616 times)

legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1086
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer
That's not how Nxt works. The account that forges the next block is selected from only online accounts with an effective stake, not from all existing accounts.

Whilst I do *get* the idea behind how the TF "choice" works I don't quite follow this part.

How can every node know which accounts are "online" (in order to consider for TF) when nodes would only be keeping connections to a fraction of all online nodes?
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
A choice of 3 forgers does not really improve things because all it does is take a big number and divide by 3.

Not divide. Suppose each forger has a small chance e of failing to forge (whether by d/c or some other reason. Assume this e is the same for all forgers to keep things simple). Then the chance of all 3 not forging is e^3, which is much smaller than e. Consequently the chance that the block gets generated on time is 1-e^3, this is much more reliable than 1-e, which is if there were only one candidate to generate the next block.

I'm guessing actual TF would choose more than 3 candidates, coz if you end up with only 2 candidates, no one can check against the other. With more candidates, idea then is that the chance of too many candidates dropping out from a pool is still much lower than that of any one specific candidate dropping out (math is no longer as simple as the above). And you can scale up the number of candidates as network connectivity and speed increases.

So if you keep [the number of accounts] low, you are hoping that some few specific accounts are all online and ready to forge.

That's not how Nxt works. The account that forges the next block is selected from only online accounts with an effective stake, not from all existing accounts.

Yeah it's tough to understand, even if you manage to read through all of this, and related threads! Helps if you can clear away existing assumptions from previous crypto experience, Nxt is designed from scratch. The wiki (link in my sig) may also help.
Activity: 644
Merit: 250
Let me summarize:

We want:
 - passive forging (that what we do right now)
 - active forging (passive forging + additional service on top of NXT)
 - supporting the family
 - slow change

ok you're gonna have to explain what the differences are between active/passive forging.  I do not get how you are making the distinction

I would like to know the answer too.

In passive forging, you lease your forging power to another node.  You will not have to run your own node to collect transaction fees.

In active forging, you generate transaction fess by running your own node.
Activity: 180
Merit: 100
Let me summarize:

We want:
 - supporting the family
 - slow change

ok you're gonna have to explain what the differences are between active/passive forging.  I do not get how you are making the distinction

I would like to know the answer too.

Ix
Activity: 218
Merit: 128
Even with 1 billion forging nodes, you will know with 99.99% (or something close to that) accuracy the next X people that will forge.

The issue that I raised was that you do not know that they will be available and paying attention. If they are not, no block gets made and there is a delay to transaction confirmation.
Activity: 224
Whatever the case may be, TF should avoid 15+ min time to next block situations. CfB already hinted at this, the high variance from willy-nilly needle in a haystack random hashing, and using base target to compensate, eventually leads to potentially catastrophic situations like multiple quick blocks followed by an insanely long one.

I'm not sure how Nxt avoids 15+ min blocks either. My info is a little hazy and the OP of this thread and the other linked do not clarify much, but forgers who miss a block are penalized for 1,440 blocks or something I think. That's not a big penalty, especially considering that there may be millions or billions of accounts and your odds of being selected again in those next 1,440 blocks are low. A choice of 3 forgers does not really improve things because all it does is take a big number and divide by 3. The number of potential forgers can't really scale up because then you have many multiple accounts competing for the same block which would be pretty disorganized and would not lend much weight to early transaction confirmations. So if you keep it low, you are hoping that some few specific accounts are all online and ready to forge. Needle in a haystack here too? Maybe.

NXT forging is deterministic, we are not searching for a needle in a haystack. Even with 1 billion forging nodes, you will know with 99.99% (or something close to that) accuracy the next X people that will forge. In the future, base target (difficulty) will simply be a legacy from Bitcoin - which c-f-b mentioned in OP - because why do you need to adjust difficulty when the forging order is already determined? If the order is determined, you simply say "X, broadcast your block at 60s, otherwise you will be penalized." 60 seconds later, "Y, broadcast your block at 60s, otherwise you will be penalized." And so on. In this scenario, X and Y are groups of forgers.

Anyways, I won't claim to understand how any of this works, but the important concept to understand is that forging is deterministic, thus you can have blocks come out in exactly 60 second intervals.
Ix
Activity: 218
Merit: 128
Whatever the case may be, TF should avoid 15+ min time to next block situations. CfB already hinted at this, the high variance from willy-nilly needle in a haystack random hashing, and using base target to compensate, eventually leads to potentially catastrophic situations like multiple quick blocks followed by an insanely long one.

I'm not sure how Nxt avoids 15+ min blocks either. My info is a little hazy and the OP of this thread and the other linked do not clarify much, but forgers who miss a block are penalized for 1,440 blocks or something I think. That's not a big penalty, especially considering that there may be millions or billions of accounts and your odds of being selected again in those next 1,440 blocks are low. A choice of 3 forgers does not really improve things because all it does is take a big number and divide by 3. The number of potential forgers can't really scale up because then you have many multiple accounts competing for the same block which would be pretty disorganized and would not lend much weight to early transaction confirmations. So if you keep it low, you are hoping that some few specific accounts are all online and ready to forge. Needle in a haystack here too? Maybe.
Activity: 399
Cryptocurrency Evangelist

I know the Internet is a wild place and Bitcoin/Doge/Maxcoin has put dollar signs in lots of peoples' eyes... but you don't earn the right to get compensated for doing nothing.  Some people get lucky (just like lottery players do, or people who manage to sell an old phone with Flappy Bird on it on eBay for $60,000), but that's just not the norm.  Sorry to disappoint you... but hey, Santa Claus isn't real, either.

I completely agree with my wiki Boss! Wink

I said the other day and I'll say it again: Nxt is ultimately a low-level protocol.  Like the pipes that run under the streets, it serves as a necessary foundation for everything built above it.  What can be built is limitless, but in order for that limitlessness to exist, the foundation has to be simple.

But there are some questions!
Who should pay for the pipes to go around the world? Server operators do so!
So they should paid because of their efforts to keep the network globalized.
My point is this!
I'm pretty sure that when TF is fully activated, blocks will be 1 minute apart, no matter what. C-f-b mentioned every block would have a "group" of forgers (I believe it was 3) eligible to forge the next block. So they would all have to drop out at the same time to simply delay a single block (unlikely). This also has the side effect of being unable to guess who will truly release the next block within the group, thus make it hard to game your own transactions.

Ah thanks, that makes more sense. And that means they can check on each other and make sure all transactions are processed (instead of selectively including them).
Activity: 364
☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
I said the other day and I'll say it again: Nxt is ultimately a low-level protocol.  Like the pipes that run under the streets, it serves as a necessary foundation for everything built above it.  What can be built is limitless, but in order for that limitlessness to exist, the foundation has to be simple.

+1
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
Selfish miners (those who mine only to earn fees) should be "removed" from the system, they r not interested in success of Nxt and only want to cash-out.
"Selfish"? It like a communist's word. Selfish is the nature of human being. It's not a bad thing.
Activity: 210
Can you please explain what job a forger doing other that unlocking his client and leaving the software open?

Okay, I do it:

The forger:
 - has to have a client
 - risks all his stake if the client is malicious
 - risks his hardware if the client is not secured against malicious attacks
 - has to pay the electricity bill
 - has to pay for the hardware/renewal of such
 - has to pay for a place that hardware can exist in
 - has to pay for the bandwidth he contributes to the network
 - has to implement security measures (attacks, heat etc.)

I think there is pretty much at stake, literally.

I disagree.  Literally.  Grin

Point by point:

- has to have a client
     - this costs nothing

- this can be prevented with some forethought... which costs nothing

- risks his hardware?  This is quite far-fetched and highly unlikely.  It reminds me of the StuxNet virus, which made Iranian uranium-enrichment centrifuges spin until they burned themselves out.  But I know of very few "malicious attacks" that can fry my home PC.

- this is a sunk cost.  The forger already has an electricity bill, and as has been stated countless times, the cost of electricity for running a Nxt node is very low.

- this is generally also a sunk cost, since people can forge on existing hardware... except for folks who have bought a Raspberry Pi: they're out $50.  Anyone who has spent $5000 on a spiffy Nxt forging rig should be a little embarrassed.

- This is also a sunk cost.  You already have a place to exist in, which you generally share with your hardware.  And your hardware isn't that big.

- This is also a sunk cost, since you already pay for bandwidth. And you can still forge if you don't advertise your node address, which minimizes bandwidth usage.

- "heat security"?  I don't even know what that means.  As for other security: most people already have an edge firewall protecting their local network.  People who don't use any form of security for their home setup are far more exposed already, for their existing hardware (PCs, etc.).  So we're at "sunk cost" again.

Add it all up, and you don't have much to stand on with your attempt to quantify risk/investment.

But consider the alternative.  To run a BUSINESS built on top of Nxt (or to improve/contribute to Nxt itself), you need to make a significant investment of money, time, intelligence, and sweat, depending on what kind of business/advancement you want to build.  Ask nexern how much he's earning.  Or passion_ltc.  Or wesleyh. Or salsacz, or pinarello, or rickyjames, jl777, neer.g, pouncer, klee, Damelon, Zahlen, allwelder, bitcoinpaul, or a whole community of people who have done far more than running a free client on a spare computer and hoping to turn a profit.  Compensate them first.

There is no "profit" in forging because merely forging adds no value.  This is BCnext's point – but I'll grant that even I don't accept the point completely unless we assume a "future state" where there are enough services built on top of Nxt to support the ecosystem without the use of forging-only setups.

Bottom line, though: raw forgers have no real expenses.  If they do, either they're minimal or they're Doing It Wrong.  I know the Internet is a wild place and Bitcoin/Doge/Maxcoin has put dollar signs in lots of peoples' eyes... but you don't earn the right to get compensated for doing nothing.  Some people get lucky (just like lottery players do, or people who manage to sell an old phone with Flappy Bird on it on eBay for $60,000), but that's just not the norm.  Sorry to disappoint you... but hey, Santa Claus isn't real, either.

As I said, I see forger as an equivalent to bankers with a most important difference (both keep the system running):
- forgers do the least what is necessary to sustain the system - verifying transactions and doing all the hard computational work
- bankers generate the drive to keep the system running by generating money and debts (watch the videos of freigeist) and therefore creating the urge of the society to drive forward, work and repay debts

Verifying transactions is not hard computational work.  Curve25519 was chosen because of its computational simplicity.

The "bankers" you refer to here are people who issue coins on TOP of Nxt.  Those folks can do fractional reserve and money issuing and interest and contracts and whatever else they want, and they should earn something for their work, if it's useful to the community.  You can profit off those people's efforts later.  It's just not what the base layer – Nxt – is for.

Bankers have the unfair advantage of creating and manipulating the ways the system works. Forgers can't and therefore don't. BUT they have to be compensated.

For what?  We already know they don't have to invest anything of real value.  

The TRUTH is that people WILL find a way to make profit off Nxt one way or another.  Regardless of whether or not BCNext's plan is respected, Nxt's value WILL vary against other currencies and people will profit from that (and as an aside: let's be honest, here. BCNext has let the animal out of its cage and HAS no control any more, so whether or not we follow the plan is up to us).  In general, though, people who feel entitled to... something... from Nxt have to work a little harder for it.

Removing the randomness from the time to next block will allow us to use the block number as a clock that is synchronized to realworld time. I can see a lot of potential with this!

I think it's impossible to remove randomness completely e.g. the miner of the next block may unexpectedly drop out of the network (as Anon136 mentioned in the interview), or botch the block generation. It'll take time for the network to agree on the next miner in line (on the order of seconds? milliseconds? Should decrease as networking tech and infrastructure improves. EDIT: But increase as the # of forgers increases). So the block number could work as a rough timer if you don't need high precision (e.g. for timestamping creative works), but otherwise I think you'd be better off relying on clocks worldwide, which already have a long history of consensus on time.

In fact, I'm guessing (only guessing, since the great puzzle of TF hasn't been solved) that Nxt will still depend on computer clocks for timing. So might as well go straight to the source for time info.

Q3) In general, am I on the right track with NXTlayers, NXTplugins, crosschain transactions, automated gateways, NXTcash, blockchain FIFO, etc?

I dunno if this is the 'right' track (for BCNext, or everyone else), but I'm definitely interested in all this. The current model of forking to experiment with new coin properties and features is very inefficient.

I'm pretty sure that when TF is fully activated, blocks will be 1 minute apart, no matter what. C-f-b mentioned every block would have a "group" of forgers (I believe it was 3) eligible to forge the next block. So they would all have to drop out at the same time to simply delay a single block (unlikely). This also has the side effect of being unable to guess who will truly release the next block within the group, thus make it hard to game your own transactions.
Activity: 236
But isn't this the natural way for things to happen? I mean it's not like following somebody's plans. It will happen naturally, big businesses will be built on top of Nxt and they will take care of it and supprot it with forging, while fees will be lowered and there won't be people who forge "for the sake of forging". Coins will be issued backed by Nxt and will play the role of means of exchnage, but Nxt will still be something like a reserve currency. I thought this evolution was inevitable. Is this what BCnext meant or i didn't understand it?

Seems u r right.
After the test of Asset Exchange
here is a workable scenario:
1. bter,dgex,btc-e, issue asset like :BTC, LTC, Dogecoin etc. backed by Nxt
    if issue 1BTC(token) , 20000 nxt have been locked.
2. someone want to sell nxt for btc etc, place bit order, if match the ask order, then btc(token) is transfered to receiver account.
3. more and more can place ask order with btc, etc.

1. because bter,dgex,btc-e are reputable, so you can trust them
  you can deposit your btc,ltc for btc token.
  or can withdrawl them.
Removing the randomness from the time to next block will allow us to use the block number as a clock that is synchronized to realworld time. I can see a lot of potential with this!

I think it's impossible to remove randomness completely e.g. the miner of the next block may unexpectedly drop out of the network (as Anon136 mentioned in the interview), or botch the block generation. It'll take time for the network to agree on the next miner in line (on the order of seconds? milliseconds? Should decrease as networking tech and infrastructure improves. EDIT: But increase as the # of forgers increases). So the block number could work as a rough timer if you don't need high precision (e.g. for timestamping creative works), but otherwise I think you'd be better off relying on clocks worldwide, which already have a long history of consensus on time.

In fact, I'm guessing (only guessing, since the great puzzle of TF hasn't been solved) that Nxt will still depend on computer clocks for timing. So might as well go straight to the source for time info.

Q3) In general, am I on the right track with NXTlayers, NXTplugins, crosschain transactions, automated gateways, NXTcash, blockchain FIFO, etc?

I dunno if this is the 'right' track (for BCNext, or everyone else), but I'm definitely interested in all this. The current model of forking to experiment with new coin properties and features is very inefficient.
Activity: 336
AKA jefdiesel

Yes - I guess something along the lines of using AE to trade precious metals might be a better application (although not being a PM trader it doesn't appeal to me personally).

why precious metals? why not coffee beans? or oil?
Activity: 238
Activity: 364
☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82
Let me summarize:

We want:
 - supporting the family
 - slow change
Okay, I do it:

The forger:
 - has to have a client

I think there is pretty much at stake, literally.

So, forgers should be paid for their expenses. But nothing more or just a little bit of it.

As I said, I see forger as an equivalent to bankers with a most important difference (both keep the system running):
- forgers do the least what is necessary to sustain the system - verifying transactions and doing all the hard computational work
- bankers generate the drive to keep the system running by generating money and debts (watch the videos of freigeist) and therefore creating the urge of the society to drive forward, work and repay debts

Bankers have the unfair advantage of creating and manipulating the ways the system works. They therefore make profit at the expense of others.

Forgers can't and therefore don't. BUT they have to be compensated. The (compensation - expenses) should be close to 0 but maybe bit more to create incentive for people to join and explore the possibilities of NXT.

When Account Controls are implemented, I imagine you can simply lease a "puppet" account your forging power. So you could have a 10mil+ NXT account forging through an account with 1 NXT, so the only risk you take is is the 1 NXT.

It's a tradeoff. If your business relies on NXT being healthy, then you have a very good reason for forge. If you're simply a user with a small balance, but you aren't really affected by hiccups in the service, then obviously you wouldn't forge.

Tbh, I think the rewards justify forging, although it may seem not to be so. For example, if you hold Bitcoin, you are paying a ~10% inflation tax every year. Your stash is literally generating -10% BTC a year.

In NXT, your stash (according to jL7777) appreciates by 0.5% a year. This is a +10.5% difference vs. BTC per year.

So, what's your point?

Just because, we might be might workaround some security issues does not mean the forger can lean back forever.
Just to make that sure: There will always be a bug! Could somebody create a meme for that?

The real world/hardware etc. issue won't go away anyway.

Hm, what bug are you talking about?

The costs of forging are already taken into consideration when you decide to forge or not. If you depend on the NXT network being very robust, the incentive to forge (supporting the network) vs. not forging (making the network more vulnerable to attack, and making you lose potential profits), then there is a clear economical advantage to forge. There is no true "selfless" forging (maybe rarely), forging aligns the desire of a stable platform with network security, as it should be. This is different from selfish mining, where the only reason to mine is for the block reward, and no one really cares about actually supporting the network.

Both are economically driven, thus forging is not a charity service.
Pages:
Jump to: