Author

Topic: UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread - page 653. (Read 129794 times)

Activity: 1288
Merit: 504
September 16, 2021, 10:59:16 AM
Inter vs Real Madrid match was really interesting even though it ended up with only one goal. Inter simply dominated the first half but weren't able to score even one goal. Interestingly, things went the opposite way in the second half. Inter were struggling but Real Madrid were the much better side. And with the young right winger Rodrygo's late goal, Real Madrid managed to win by 1-0.
Personally I thank the entire Real Madrid team for Job well done. Really they played up to expectation. They put up splendorous performance against Inter. Even though they lost on possession and couldn’t maintain fluidity in the first phase of the game. Inter Milan is more on form than Real Madrid at the moment and I expected then to score more goals or even win. But the fact that Real Madrid have been keeping a good record for a while now in Italy, with the Spanish side having won all seven of their last seven games in Italy. So I thought of them having a good result against the Italian side.
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1523
September 16, 2021, 10:49:55 AM
Beşiktaş played better than I thought. If they had been able to score a goal in the first minutes of the match, the outcome could have been much different. I think they will perform much better in their next matches.
It is not possible to say good things about PSG. I was sad that the match ended with such a score, they should have scored a lot more goals Smiley
Activity: 1610
Merit: 301
*STOP NOWHERE*
September 16, 2021, 10:37:06 AM
Inter vs Real Madrid match was really interesting even though it ended up with only one goal. Inter simply dominated the first half but weren't able to score even one goal. Interestingly, things went the opposite way in the second half. Inter were struggling but Real Madrid were the much better side. And with the young right winger Rodrygo's late goal, Real Madrid managed to win by 1-0.
Inter Milan and Real Madrid are both strong teams. We ordinary spectators expect a lot of goals from such matches. But the match ended with just one goal. My hope was that both teams would score goals. I thought the match would be a 1-1 draw. But Inter Milan could not score any goal.
Actually, I checked their head-to-heads now and saw that Real Madrid won here by 2-0 in the last season of the Champions League. It turns out to be a not very interesting result then.  Grin  But the match in Real Madrid's stadium can be much more delightful. Their last match there ended up with Real Madrid's 3-2 victory. Maybe we can see a similar result again.

Inter Milan is a strong team though. But Real Madrid's luck against them is always good. In the last 5 meetings, Real Madrid has won 4 matches. The Inter Milan team got its last win against Real Madrid in 2014. Milan has lost all their subsequent matches. I think Real Madrid will win the home match too. Because Real Madrid is always the strongest team in the home match.
September 16, 2021, 10:30:03 AM
Apart from Tomori's own goal, AC Milan played well against Liverpool. However, Milan seems to have the same problem, Milan lacks anticipation of set pieces so Liverpool are able to take advantage of these weaknesses. The results can be said to be satisfying for me, because this is the first experience for some AC Milan players to play in the UCL. Of course this is can be bad signal for Milan, because they will be playing againts Porto and ATM. both can bring AC Milan to the bottom of standing.
Tomori had a very good game. He was very coordinated and focused through out the game. The goal you called Own goal was not really his fault. own goal is an inevitable part of football. It can happen to anyone. Ac Milan player very good despite playing away from home. Besides it has been a long time they played an English team in the champions league. I didn’t even expect them to put up a performance like that. Liverpool played a very fast game, they were always countering and setting up crosses from both wings. Ac Milan didn’t really match up the flow and velocity that Liverpool played with. Personally I want them to progress to the next round of the competition.
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1018
Not your keys, not your coins!
September 16, 2021, 10:25:08 AM
When it’s Champion League, you can't expect the matches to be as usual. Besides, we really don't follow the games of most of the leagues; for instance, I have never watch a match in Switzerland League. Manchester United lost to Young Boys the other day.
It is football beauty. Small clubs can beat big clubs in their good days while big clubs have their bad days. Total value of squad on transfer market does not guarantee a win in match with opponent that has smaller transfer value.

Though I have watched few matches of Club Brugge, they were supposed to be lost the match. Currently, PSG squad worth more than $1 billion while Club Brugge maximum worth will be $200 million. But they gave a huge fight against PSG last night.
That's why it’s Champion League. You can't simply ensure your place in the next round so easily.
One factor to consider is PSG players were more tired after international duty. They have more players who were called for and played in international matches. Brugge is a smaller club and is less affected by FIFA days.
Activity: 1442
Merit: 602
September 16, 2021, 10:22:33 AM
It is a general feeling of pride from every Milan fan after the performance of Milan at Anfield despite the expected defeat.
You cannot forget the years when the Rossoneri was floundering, wrestling for a European position with an obscure coach every season and without a clear administrative plan to return while the liver was drawing up its strategy and implementing it and winning the league and champions With a world-class coach and first-class stars.
Conte said it is a match that must be built on.must be believed in. Because the genes of Milan and the Champions League may have the magic effect in returning to the normal size of one of the largest clubs in the world throughout history.
So there is still some faith in Milan to qualifie despite being in a fiery group after seeing yesterday's level.
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1104
This is what I do. I drink and I know things.
September 16, 2021, 10:18:03 AM
A 1-1 draw is not good enough for PSG and it is unacceptable.

Even if everyone needs some time to find his steps in a new team, I totally agree with you. A draw in this stage for PSG is a total fluke with this roster that it has. As for Brugge many congrats for this point against a huge favorite like PSG.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1179
September 16, 2021, 10:11:24 AM
We have seen Messi - Neymar - Mbappe trio playing for the first time against Club Brugge. And I was expecting this match to be an easy one for PSG. But Club Brugge had more goal chances than PSG. A 1-1 draw is not good enough for PSG and it is unacceptable. Messi and Neymar weren't that good. Herrera scored their only goal with Mbappe's assist.

PSG is trying so much to do something more, they are bringing big names every year, but still, they are surprising us with some bad games... I expected more from PSG in their first game against Brugge, but they were a disappointment, Brugge really had more chances and this game could be even worse for PSG!
Well, I expect they will advance to the next stage, Manchester City and PSG from this group!
Activity: 1358
Merit: 851
September 16, 2021, 10:09:07 AM
We have seen Messi - Neymar - Mbappe trio playing for the first time against Club Brugge. And I was expecting this match to be an easy one for PSG. But Club Brugge had more goal chances than PSG. A 1-1 draw is not good enough for PSG and it is unacceptable. Messi and Neymar weren't that good. Herrera scored their only goal with Mbappe's assist.
When it’s Champion League, you can't expect the matches to be as usual. Besides, we really don't follow the games of most of the leagues; for instance, I have never watch a match in Switzerland League. Manchester United lost to Young Boys the other day.
Though I have watched few matches of Club Brugge, they were supposed to be lost the match. Currently, PSG squad worth more than $1 billion while Club Brugge maximum worth will be $200 million. But they gave a huge fight against PSG last night.
That's why it’s Champion League. You can't simply ensure your place in the next round so easily.
Activity: 1736
Merit: 293
September 16, 2021, 10:08:40 AM

Inter Milan and Real Madrid are both strong teams. We ordinary spectators expect a lot of goals from such matches. But the match ended with just one goal. My hope was that both teams would score goals. I thought the match would be a 1-1 draw. But Inter Milan could not score any goal.

Actually, I checked their head-to-heads now and saw that Real Madrid won here by 2-0 in the last season of the Champions League. It turns out to be a not very interesting result then.  Grin  But the match in Real Madrid's stadium can be much more delightful. Their last match there ended up with Real Madrid's 3-2 victory. Maybe we can see a similar result again.
legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 2094
September 16, 2021, 10:03:24 AM
~~~
I think he will be a strong candidate to get the ballon d'or.
Dortmund managed to print many talented young talent and orbit them into future megastars in football. Halland was one of the most sought-after players this season during the transfer window and that is due to his phenomenal achievement and stats as a goalscorer at Dortmund. I like his style of play, he's fast and has a strong shot so he's managed to score a lot of goals. I'm sure he will be able to achieve individual achievement at Dortmund, but I'm not sure he will succeed in making Dortmund a club that dominate Europe.

He has to play for other big European clubs if he want to win more leagues including the Champions League. But if he stays for a long time at Dortmund, he probably won't get a big chance to win the title because as good and as good as he perform for Dortmund, Dortmund will not be seeded if the opponent is another big European team.
Activity: 1652
Merit: 304
kycfree
September 16, 2021, 09:35:04 AM
legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 1028
The Best Tipster on the Forum!!
September 16, 2021, 09:21:36 AM
Yes, I was quite surprised by this one. PSG should beat just about every team in the world, and only really be challenged by a very few, the likes of Man City, etc.

Bench Mbappe and PSG could literally win the UCL. Putting those three in the frontlines just doesnt really works out, Mbappe was trying his best to prove that he is much better than Messi by scoring goals that he forgot that he could always choose to pass the ball

However I have to say that the Man United result is a bit of a surprise, but not a huge surprise. It was inevitable that Ronaldo would score, he always does... but Man United have weaknesses, and the signing of Ronaldo does nothing to address them.

It was a silly result but I'd say the red card totally changes the match. If it wasnt for the red card then Manchester United would probably have won that match. Aside from that, the last minute goal came from silly mistake and I think Manchester United have learnt a valuable lesson on not to stop focusing on the game before the match actually ended

Why would you even think of benching Mbappe? He is currently one of the fastest and the best players in the world.You need to understand that this was their first game togheter ever.Things cannot go perfectly as everyone planned to.They need to play a few more games togheter to know how each one is playing and their style.Its still early.
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1414
September 16, 2021, 09:07:08 AM
Yes, I was quite surprised by this one. PSG should beat just about every team in the world, and only really be challenged by a very few, the likes of Man City, etc.

Bench Mbappe and PSG could literally win the UCL. Putting those three in the frontlines just doesnt really works out, Mbappe was trying his best to prove that he is much better than Messi by scoring goals that he forgot that he could always choose to pass the ball

However I have to say that the Man United result is a bit of a surprise, but not a huge surprise. It was inevitable that Ronaldo would score, he always does... but Man United have weaknesses, and the signing of Ronaldo does nothing to address them.

It was a silly result but I'd say the red card totally changes the match. If it wasnt for the red card then Manchester United would probably have won that match. Aside from that, the last minute goal came from silly mistake and I think Manchester United have learnt a valuable lesson on not to stop focusing on the game before the match actually ended
Activity: 1610
Merit: 301
*STOP NOWHERE*
September 16, 2021, 08:51:57 AM

legendary
Activity: 2604
Merit: 1130
September 16, 2021, 08:44:15 AM
~~~
There is nothing surprising about the Barcelona vs Bayern Munich match yesterday. Barcelona is quite weak in many areas of the field both in defense and attack. Barcelona's defeat yesterday was very natural because the composition of the existing players was not able to compete with the Bayern Munich players who looked more complete. It's Barcelona's first match without Messi in the Champions League I think, and it's their first defeat of the season in the Champions League group stage which is a sign that Barcelona are no longer a strong team in Europe.

That Bayern are stronger up front was not surprising, but the game of Barcelona has looked like standing KO ... on the whole a disastrous performance by Barelona. Yesterday Bruges surprised me and got a point against PSG, good performance. I expected a little more from Atletico Madrid, Ajax and Manchester City have mastered their games sovereign.

legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1603
hmph..
September 16, 2021, 08:42:04 AM
Apart from Tomori's own goal, AC Milan played well against Liverpool. However, Milan seems to have the same problem, Milan lacks anticipation of set pieces so Liverpool are able to take advantage of these weaknesses. The results can be said to be satisfying for me, because this is the first experience for some AC Milan players to play in the UCL. Of course this is can be bad signal for Milan, because they will be playing againts Porto and ATM. both can bring AC Milan to the bottom of standing.
September 16, 2021, 08:38:08 AM
!st week of Champions is over.
PSG only draw is the big surprise for me, they should win at least 4-0.
PSG draw is the biggest surprise for sure and I hope Mbappe will be fine after the injury, but I consider also Sheriff as a surprise too. They got 3 points from Shakhtar after scoring 2 goals to 0!
BTW another minor surprises are the huge number of goals scored by City and Ajax. Leipzig and Sporting fans will be under the shock for some time tho!

Not surprise with PSG although have great tandem as forward with Messi, Neymar and Mbappe failed to give score and win for PSG, just with little club they can't win how come to get champion league trophy? I think PSG have over although got Messi on their team but nothing change, faced with Club Brugge they only play draw and Ander Hererra make goal for PSG, where are Messi, Neymar and Mbappe on this match why they failed to make goal? although on first match I think PSG is not on the list favorite to get champion league trophy and I choose on to top position as favorite Real Madrid get trophy of champion league.
Why write them off like that...This is their first game and the fact that they didn’t lose the game is a good start up for them. I know many people were believing in Paris Saint German to win with many goals but I knew it could be different. Firstly this is the first time that the attacking trident of Lionel Messi, Kylian Mbappe and Neymar are all playing together. There is need for them to blend and find the link ups and fluidity within them. Maybe they will play out well together in the next coming fixtures.
Activity: 1736
Merit: 293
September 16, 2021, 08:21:02 AM
Activity: 3094
Merit: 929
September 16, 2021, 08:18:14 AM

It is not his first experience in UCL, dont you remember that he was able to bring Tottenham into UCL Final in 2018/2019?
He has the most expensive team in this world with so many talented and popular players, it would be ashamed if he cant get at least a title with his expensive team.
What I doubt is about his experiences in managing a big team like PSG as he has less experiences in managing big teams.

Having a very expensive team full of super-stars is a double edged sword and many managers have failed to achieve any success with such teams.The expectations towards Pochetino will be even higher,after PSG signed with Mesi,even though Mesi is getting older and I believe he is far away from his peak form.
Manchester Citi also has a very expensive team,but I don't think that they are going to win the Champions League anytime soon.

Jump to: