Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 32073. (Read 26471930 times)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

How do we read this kind of charts  Smiley My first time here.

They're charts of the bid and ask depth. Taking a single cross-section, and plotting it as a regular graph, you have something that looks like this:

(but with different colours)

On the x-axis is the price, the order-volume is on the y-axis. The bids are on the left, the asks on the right. A steep slope in for example the bid-section means that it'll take a lot of coins sold to decrease the price. Similarly on the ask-side, where a steep or vertical slope indicates a resistance to a price increase by buyers.

These types of graphs give an impression of the market sentiment beyond what the price tells you. A high volume on the bid side, means that the price is unlikely to decrease a lot for example.

The graphs that ChartBuddy posts are the same type of graph, but then many snapshots combined into a single chart, allowing you to see both the development of the price (where the red and green curves meet is where the price is at) over the last hour as well as the development of the depth. Whether there were any walls created or removed, etc...
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1029

we need a manuale
we had a picture that explained it but that was last year and its lost now
this is a depth chart showing the pas 10-30mins of depth.
the bids all piled up together on one side  the asks all piled up together on the other side

it shows the past hour, every hour.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner

we need a manuale
we had a picture that explained it but that was last year and its lost now
this is a depth chart showing the pas 10-30mins of depth.
the bids all piled up together on one side  the asks all piled up together on the other side
Activity: 151
Merit: 36
My 401K will be a part of the inflow of 401K money into the Winklevoss BCT.  I doubt the trust will drive prices lower.  Money that can already buy that wants to buy BTC will have done so.  Money that currently can not buy BTC that wants to buy it may.  If that money overflows the trust holdings, the trust may buy and so may drive the price higher.

People that want BTC to USE IT won't be buying trust shares, it is for stagnant money, like 401Ks and pension trusts and such.

+1
I would suggest all 401k to hold gold/metals and hopefully this new ETF.  getting out of anything tied to US$ might be a good idea.  The FED reserve is out of control and not accountable to anyone.  scary stuff.
Activity: 216
Merit: 100

How do we read this kind of charts  Smiley My first time here.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
So bitcoin price is at the same point it was yesterday and bid sum has dropped only 500k...

That was a crash? Really? It was an epic bear trap to me, who sold at $175? LOL

that's not really a crash. more like a correction.

i think the real crash will happened after the bitcoin trust is listed and the winklevoss btc which are locked up right now flood the market and soak up all the fiat, this is sort of the run up in anticipation to that.

this is pure speculation

I don't get it, why would BTC be sold because of this? Won't this cause an even bigger rally instead because of greater demand?

those 200k btc were not marketable and could not be touched since the july filing...

what happens to price when the supply curve moves out? ths is not demand for 200k btc this is a supply of 200k btc being SOLD to the public, supply that was not available since the twins purchased it

what happens when shareholders lock outs are done?

econ 101....

Still don't see why the shareholders would instantly sell their BTC and cause a sell off the moment they are unlocked. Price could just as well go up because of greater exposure to the public.

And 99% of the people cannot sell. Only market makers can redeem or create new, baskets. So what is needed is the price of the ETF to drop sufficiently below market price for market makers to arbitrage and redeem baskets of Bitcoins and earn on the arbitrage.

I thought the premise of the ETF was to allow an instrument to short the market, with an intent to bring some price stability.
This in turn, is supposedly going to make Bitcoin more attractive to a broader user base/merchants.

Sure you short the ETF (not Bitcoin directly). That doesn't sound like very important use case though.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
My 401K will be a part of the inflow of 401K money into the Winklevoss BCT.  I doubt the trust will drive prices lower.  Money that can already buy that wants to buy BTC will have done so.  Money that currently can not buy BTC that wants to buy it may.  If that money overflows the trust holdings, the trust may buy and so may drive the price higher.

People that want BTC to USE IT won't be buying trust shares, it is for stagnant money, like 401Ks and pension trusts and such.
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000
So bitcoin price is at the same point it was yesterday and bid sum has dropped only 500k...

i think the real crash will happened after the bitcoin trust is listed and the winklevoss btc which are locked up right now flood the market and soak up all the fiat, this is sort of the run up in anticipation to that.

this is pure speculation

I don't get it, why would BTC be sold because of this? Won't this cause an even bigger rally instead because of greater demand?

those 200k btc were not marketable and could not be touched since the july filing...

what happens to price when the supply curve moves out? ths is not demand for 200k btc this is a supply of 200k btc being SOLD to the public, supply that was not available since the twins purchased it

econ 101....

Still don't see why the shareholders would instantly sell their BTC and cause a sell off the moment they are unlocked. Price could just as well go up because of greater exposure to the public.

And 99% of the people cannot sell. Only market makers can redeem or create new, baskets. So what is needed is the price of the ETF to drop sufficiently below market price for market makers to arbitrage and redeem baskets of Bitcoins and earn on the arbitrage.

I thought the premise of the ETF was to allow an instrument to short the market, with an intent to bring some price stability.
This in turn, is supposedly going to make Bitcoin more attractive to a broader user base/merchants.
legendary
Activity: 840

Haha, thanks I totally missed this crash. I woke up and saw $204 instead of the $228 I saw last night and was wondering why anyone used the term crash for a 10% correction Tongue

I'd still say it will just have been a large correction, not a crash. That trader that sold 10k all at once is really what caused this to be as deep as it was. I was figuring a pull back to 200 at least was in order, but when people suddenly see the price at 185 because of ONE sell, they will panic.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1029
Holy shit, it's gonna be another green candle by the end of today
legendary
Heading back to $220 on Gox IMHO.

Haha, thanks I totally missed this crash. I woke up and saw $204 instead of the $228 I saw last night and was wondering why anyone used the term crash for a 10% correction Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1498
Who is leading the rally this time? Stamp, Gox or China?
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Heading back to $220 on Gox IMHO.

legendary
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Looks to me like the triangle has closed and we're heading back up.

legendary

this is pure speculation

econ 101....

legendary
Activity: 1246

this is pure speculation

econ 101....

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010
he who has the gold makes the rules

Oh ok, I thought you were referring to the twins AND the SecondMarket Bitcoin Trust which made no sense!
Smiley

no worries...  i know my grammar and spelling completely suck, when i am not accountable (not getting a grade or getting paid for this lol)
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010
he who has the gold makes the rules

this is pure speculation

econ 101....
legendary

this is pure speculation
It needs to be listed anywhere? I am total ignorant, indulge me!

if you recall the twins put together a trust of about 200k btc (I think), and filed an s1 with the sec, that s1 was refiled on oct 8 (when this rally started basically) with letters from their law firm (i guess in response to sec questions from the original july filing)

the sec has 30 days to approve or ask more questions.  but assuming they find the law firm's letters acceptable then the winklevoss btc trust will go live some time between now and 6th of November I suppose (this is not my field really)

at that point rather then paying coinbase 1% and shipping money of to some far away island or euroland, or meeting some shady drug dealer who wants to dump his btc via lbc, you could simply log into your brokerage or 401k account and supposedly buy this...

anyway what it means is that there will be a glut of btc that was previously not marketable on the market...

Oh ok, I thought you were referring to the twins AND the SecondMarket Bitcoin Trust which made no sense!
Smiley
Jump to: