Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 32265. (Read 26474088 times)

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1006
100 satoshis -> ISO code
This company is just a debt buyer. On August 30, someone bought 17,800 BTC from gox and sold them to secondmarket for $ (as GOX can't pay them $, this is like a debt). Now secondmarket will sel this debt to investors.

Bitcoin is money, virtual gold, gold 2.0, currency, a payment system,  but it is not debt.
Activity: 509
Merit: 500
Can't upload avatar
This company is just a debt buyer. On August 30, someone bought 17,800 BTC from gox and sold them to secondmarket for $ (as GOX can't pay them $, this is like a debt). Now secondmarket will sel this debt to investors.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

Yippee, they've turned Bitcoin into a non-investment grade bond. So now we're junk. lol
Activity: 509
Can't upload avatar
So, they have 17,800 BTC.
Liquidity will be limited. They can't tell what the tax would be.
Nothing special.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100

lol this

Why you wouldn't at least wait til the morning to see the impact this news makes is beyond me.
Activity: 686
Ultranode

Those who are finally accepting that we hit the ceiling around $150. To single digits from here.
Activity: 454
Merit: 250
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070
Whatever. I have exhausted the spirit of pure reason and no longer care argue about these ill conceived bitcoin-investments.  Angry Cheesy Angry

And this is different than a realestate investment trust, how exactly?

Don't see how this illegal in any way. And what does FINCEN have to do with real estate trusts or other trusts?

People are not buying the Bitcoin directly. All the investors are vetted. The trust keeps their records open and transparent.

Sounds like you are just paranoid.

This is not an ETF. This is a completely different animal.
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008
Whatever. I have exhausted the spirit of pure reason and no longer care argue about these ill conceived bitcoin-investments.  Angry Cheesy Angry

i dont think any of us said we'd be investing... just watching. not like we can do elsewise, really. can't stop it. not in our hands.
Ultranode
Whatever. I have exhausted the spirit of pure reason and no longer care to argue about these ill conceived bitcoin-investments.  Angry Cheesy Angry
legendary
Activity: 1168
Merit: 1000

SEC will go after anyone, anywhere offering investment or investment-like opportunities to US citizens.

This is different than AML/KYC stuff, which is the focus of FINCEN.

SecondMarket looks pretty reputable.  They wouldn't have consulted lawyers and spoke with the SEC before even starting something like this?  I'm just thinking out loud...
Ultranode
well, they've clearly been operating quite happily for a while, bitcoin or no.

wait and see, i say.

huh? we don't need to wait and see. A the present time there is NOTHING safe about a bitcoin investment. It is inherently speculative and probably will be for many years, at least until we get clarity on a bunch of related legal issues.

WAY WAY WAY too early for this shit. It will just hurt bitcoin's already shaky reputation when these things get shut down.
legendary
well, they've clearly been operating quite happily for a while, bitcoin or no.

wait and see, i say.
Ultranode

SEC will go after anyone, anywhere offering investment or investment-like opportunities to US citizens.

This is different than AML/KYC stuff, which is the focus of FINCEN.
Ultranode

Doesn't have to do with AML. SEC focuses on potentially unsafe or risky investments. It is not clear that ANY bitcoin-based investment will pass the SEC smell-test at the present time. Especially, considering how many legal hurdles bitcoin still must overcome.
legendary
Activity: 1168
Merit: 1000
legendary
legendary
Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047
it would appear Stamps has made similar changes.

https://www.bitstamp.net/article/bitstamp-new-verification-requirements/

as of the 30th you'll need to be registered to withdraw bitcoin or cash.
Wow! It seems the foundation's meeting with three-letter-agencies guys wasn't fruitless. Another meeting or two and KYC&AML will be integrated into the bitcoin protocol. Smiley
Jump to: