Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 32267. (Read 26474124 times)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0
Well, I was only trying to withdraw 10 bitcoins.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Ultranode
lol@ all the drug dealers complaining about Gox's minimal and reasonable verification requirements. Don't like it? Go use another exchange that will inevitably get shut down for money laundering.
uyo
Activity: 36
I took the majority of my funds off Gox a while ago but keep a coin or two there to play with. I have an unverified account, and to test out this FUD I just withdrew 0.145 BTC with no problems. Right now the transaction is still unconfirmed. Edit: It is now confirmed in my other wallet.

https://blockchain.info/tx/64d5580f5b133c2fffde6dc3f693b23fb14400834eb1d5847b0f4e2684cd356d

perhaps they have a threshold. if you're withdrawing more than XXX coins (worth $XXX USD), then you must be verified.

speculating.

It used to be up to 100 BTC daily. But JimboToronto now says he is unable to withdraw 50 without the verification. So they changed requirements, and I speculate there might be varying conditions upon which Gox decides what verification bullshit is required for a customer. Like country of residence, desired deposit/withdrawal method, and amount you wish to deposit/withdraw. There are 3 levels of account status - unverified, verified and trusted - the last one is with notarized and translated documents, but this used to be required only for big transactions.
Activity: 516
Merit: 283
I took the majority of my funds off Gox a while ago but keep a coin or two there to play with. I have an unverified account, and to test out this FUD I just withdrew 0.145 BTC with no problems. Right now the transaction is still unconfirmed. Edit: It is now confirmed in my other wallet.

https://blockchain.info/tx/64d5580f5b133c2fffde6dc3f693b23fb14400834eb1d5847b0f4e2684cd356d

perhaps they have a threshold. if you're withdrawing more than XXX coins (worth $XXX USD), then you must be verified.

speculating.
Activity: 354
Merit: 250

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
You people had more than enough time to leave Gox. Just admit that you are gambling on a positive resolve of the situation.
Actually, those leaving money in mtgox are not just gambling, they are part of the solution. If a bank run is prevented and trading continues mtgox will keep making profit and can eventually become solvent again (assuming they are currently fractional reserve) even if they are never paid their debt (millions of dollars: frozen, coinbase..).

You might be right, at least that might be what Gox is hoping for.
Whoever said Bitcoiners don't believe in cooperate altruism? Grin
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
it would appear Stamps has made similar changes.

https://www.bitstamp.net/article/bitstamp-new-verification-requirements/

as of the 30th you'll need to be registered to withdraw bitcoin or cash.
legendary
Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047
You people had more than enough time to leave Gox. Just admit that you are gambling on a positive resolve of the situation.
Actually, those leaving money in mtgox are not just gambling, they are part of the solution. If a bank run is prevented and trading continues mtgox will keep making profit and can eventually become solvent again (assuming they are currently fractional reserve) even if they are never paid their debt (millions of dollars: frozen, coinbase..).
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP

So people are still not able to withdraw from mtgox or is just it takes too long time to withdraw from them? Which one is  it?

now you need to be registered to withdraw BTC.
( there appears to be no official word about this )

Is there proof of this, or is this just rumour mill nonesense, FUD?

Well, it's true in my case. Here's the relevant excerpt from the reply I got from Mt. Gox's support desk, in response to whether I need to be verified to withdraw bitcoins from my account:

Your account must be verified to perform any withdrawal transactions.

If you would like to continue with the verification process, please provide us the notarised copy sealed with an apostille for the following documents (Please do not forget to provide your account number or username).
legendary
Trusted Bitcoiner

So people are still not able to withdraw from mtgox or is just it takes too long time to withdraw from them? Which one is  it?
International wire is delayed by months. SEPA transfers less than certain amounts occurs within a few weeks usually.

It's hard not to believe they just don't have the money. I'd trust them more if they didn't refuse to give any updates.

It could be that they don't have the Bitcoins either, and they now required registration to withdraw btc in hopes that this will force people to keep their bitcoins their so they can live to trade another day.

if they do not provide proof that they were FORCED into doing this, this is my conclusion.

quickly now! send wtv papers you need to and GTFO of gox!
legendary

If you login with Tor, VPN etc you have always been required to verify your account, even for BTC withdraws. This is nothing new. If, however, you are required to verify your account when you only used your own IP, then this is new, but not surprising.
legendary
Trusted Bitcoiner

just FUD at this point...

but it appears to be true, i believe it, but i really would like to hear MtGox say SOMETHING about it.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

So people are still not able to withdraw from mtgox or is just it takes too long time to withdraw from them? Which one is  it?
International wire is delayed by months. SEPA transfers less than certain amounts occurs within a few weeks usually.

It's hard not to believe they just don't have the money. I'd trust them more if they didn't refuse to give any updates.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

legendary

So people are still not able to withdraw from mtgox or is just it takes too long time to withdraw from them? Which one is  it?
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
It's not speculation which the liberty reserve case clearly shows. If you don't verify customers using "imaginary internet money" you are a target of the US. The reason is that users could be from the US using a VPN etc to access your service, if you don't verify customers you have no way of ensuring that. So you MUST, with no exception, verify all customers. All business must do this, and those who don't will risk ending up like liberty reserve.

liberty reserve was handling real life money

BTC is imaginary internet money

From what i heard the US was only interested in tracking USD going in and out of exchanges not BTC

Actually no. From my understanding, LRUSD was an "imaginary internet currency" and not backed by actual USD. Yes, exchangers would trade it for USD, but there was no actual reserve guarantee. That is what makes this case so interesting. Liberty Reserve was basically a centralized version of bitcoin.

Exactly.
legendary
Trusted Bitcoiner

legendary
It's not speculation which the liberty reserve case clearly shows. If you don't verify customers using "imaginary internet money" you are a target of the US. The reason is that users could be from the US using a VPN etc to access your service, if you don't verify customers you have no way of ensuring that. So you MUST, with no exception, verify all customers. All business must do this, and those who don't will risk ending up like liberty reserve.

liberty reserve was handling real life money

BTC is imaginary internet money

From what i heard the US was only interested in tracking USD going in and out of exchanges not BTC

Actually no. From my understanding, LRUSD was an "imaginary internet currency" and not backed by actual USD. Yes, exchangers would trade it for USD, but there was no actual reserve guarantee. That is what makes this case so interesting. Liberty Reserve was basically a centralized version of bitcoin.
Jump to: