Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 32268. (Read 26474124 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

So people are still not able to withdraw from mtgox or is just it takes too long time to withdraw from them? Which one is  it?
Activity: 516
Merit: 283

From what i heard the US was only interested in tracking USD going in and out of exchanges not BTC

I bet they're tracking blockchain transactions as we peruse through these boards.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
It's not speculation which the liberty reserve case clearly shows. If you don't verify customers using "imaginary internet money" you are a target of the US. The reason is that users could be from the US using a VPN etc to access your service, if you don't verify customers you have no way of ensuring that. So you MUST, with no exception, verify all customers. All business must do this, and those who don't will risk ending up like liberty reserve.

liberty reserve was handling real life money

BTC is imaginary internet money

From what i heard the US was only interested in tracking USD going in and out of exchanges not BTC
legendary
Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047
It's not speculation which the liberty reserve case clearly shows. If you don't verify customers using "imaginary internet money" you are a target of the US. The reason is that users could be from the US using a VPN etc to access your service, if you don't verify customers you have no way of ensuring that. So you MUST, with no exception, verify all customers. All business must do this, and those who don't will risk ending up like liberty reserve.

edit: and if you don't deny all US customers you will also have to become licensed in the US. If you are fully licensed in the US (is mtgox?) you may be able to skip the legitimation requirement in a few cases, but I'm not sure about that.
legendary
Trusted Bitcoiner
Further shame on you MtGox.
The choice is simple. Either mtgox does this, or they can expect a "dotcom style" type of raid with extermination of their entire business, possible extradition to the US on very serious charges, terror/cp shaming in media etc. Technically, they still risk this, but at least they play it safer than those who don't (e.g liberty reserve).

Is it right? No. Want to blame someone? Blame the US. Or better yet: blame the pathetic countries who surrender all their rights to satisfy US.

this is just speculation right?

would be nice if MtGox said something on the matter...
legendary
Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047
The choice is simple. Either mtgox does this, or they can expect a "dotcom style" type of raid with extermination of their entire business, possible extradition to the US on very serious charges, terror/cp shaming in media etc. Technically, they still risk this, but at least they play it safer than those who don't (e.g liberty reserve).

Is it right? No. Want to blame someone? Blame the US. Or better yet: blame the pathetic countries who surrender all their rights to satisfy US.
legendary
Trusted Bitcoiner
Hi folks,

A question about Mt. Gox withdrawals.

I can't find the info on their website now, but I thought verification was only necessary to withdraw cash, not bitcoins.

Mt. Gox is telling me that, in order to withdraw bitcoins,  I need to get my non-English language documents translated and notarized and mailed to Japan.

Does that fir with your understanding of their policy?

Thanks.

OMG What a nightmare. I also thought that my anonymous MtGox account allowed non-verified Bitcoin withdrawals. I've never deposited or withdrawn fiat currency to or from this account and had no intention to do so. I used it for daytrading only.

After reading your post, I got worried that they were lying (once again) and immediately attempted to withdraw my remaining coins to a paper wallet.

Now they won't return my coins without identification and proof of residency. This is totally unacceptable. I feel like they are stealing from me.

I don't drive an automobile or use credit cards (just say no) so I don't have the usual photo ID. I'd rather not change my old red and white non-photo Ontario health card for a photo one because the new ones require renewal every few years. I don't generally carry ID and have no plans to start doing so. I live in a (sort of) free country. Do I have to get a passport just to get my money back?

Luckily there are only about 50 BTC in this account but I still feel like I'm being held for ransom. I also feel like I'm being treated like an American.

Apply for a Wirtland ID? Will they accept that?
that would be to funny.

this is new? , i've used an unregistered MtGox account to redeem private key and such.

Any idea why they are doing this?

there doesn't seem to be any official announcement about this.
legendary
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
50 BTC are 50 BTC, maybe you can easily say "only" about that amount, but it's certainly more than I'd want to lose. Not to forget what it might be worth in a year or 2

you seem to be willing to let go of it entirely

Don't get me wrong. 50BTC is certainly more than I intend to lose. The reason I said "only" is that I'm glad the bulk of my coins are elsewhere.

What bugs me is the fact that I'll have to get a passport or provincial age-of-majority card (at the age of 65) just to get back what is mine. This is almost as ridiculous as being IDed at the Skydome to buy a beer when I was 60 years old. At that time I simply went to a different kiosk. This requires a lot more fuss and expense.

When MtGox announced back in May, following the Dwolla and Wells Fargo seizures and Liberty Reserve bust, that they were requiring identification for fiat transfers, they specifically stated that Bitcoin transfers were unaffected so I left my coins there.

Now it seems that they were lying all along. Shame, shame, shame.

I was about to link you the Ontario Photo ID card, but that is the 'age-of-majority' card anyway. That is what I would be getting under this situation. Yes it would be a hassle, but those 50btc have the potential to eventually be worth over anything from $50,000 - $500,000 - $5,000,000 depending on who you are listening to, haha. 

http://www.ontario.ca/government/ontario-photo-card

legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
Hi folks,

I can't find the info on their website now, but I thought verification was only necessary to withdraw cash, not bitcoins.

Mt. Gox is telling me that, in order to withdraw bitcoins,  I need to get my non-English language documents translated and notarized and mailed to Japan.

Thanks.

OMG What a nightmare. I also thought that my anonymous MtGox account allowed non-verified Bitcoin withdrawals. I've never deposited or withdrawn fiat currency to or from this account and had no intention to do so. I used it for daytrading only.

After reading your post, I got worried that they were lying (once again) and immediately attempted to withdraw my remaining coins to a paper wallet.

Now they won't return my coins without identification and proof of residency. This is totally unacceptable. I feel like they are stealing from me.

I don't drive an automobile or use credit cards (just say no) so I don't have the usual photo ID. I'd rather not change my old red and white non-photo Ontario health card for a photo one because the new ones require renewal every few years. I don't generally carry ID and have no plans to start doing so. I live in a (sort of) free country. Do I have to get a passport just to get my money back?

Luckily there are only about 50 BTC in this account but I still feel like I'm being held for ransom. I also feel like I'm being treated like an American.

Apply for a Wirtland ID? Will they accept that?
legendary
Activity: 4158
Merit: 4811
You're never too old to think young.
50 BTC are 50 BTC, maybe you can easily say "only" about that amount, but it's certainly more than I'd want to lose. Not to forget what it might be worth in a year or 2

you seem to be willing to let go of it entirely

Don't get me wrong. 50BTC is certainly more than I intend to lose. The reason I said "only" is that I'm glad the bulk of my coins are elsewhere.

What bugs me is the fact that I'll have to get a passport or provincial age-of-majority card (at the age of 65) just to get back what is mine. This is almost as ridiculous as being IDed at the Skydome to buy a beer when I was 60 years old. At that time I simply went to a different kiosk. This requires a lot more fuss and expense.

When MtGox announced back in May, following the Dwolla and Wells Fargo seizures and Liberty Reserve bust, that they were requiring identification for fiat transfers, they specifically stated that Bitcoin transfers were unaffected so I left my coins there.

Now it seems that they were lying all along. Shame, shame, shame.
Activity: 133
Merit: 100
Mt. Gox is telling me that, in order to withdraw bitcoins,  I need to get my non-English language documents translated and notarized and mailed to Japan.
[...]

You could always find a registered Gox user you trust to transfer the coins to his/her account and get them from that person. 50 BTC are 50 BTC, maybe you can easily say "only" about that amount, but it's certainly more than I'd want to lose. Not to forget what it might be worth in a year or 2 Wink

I'd be willing to help (as a registered Gox user), but as I'm a forum newbie, there's little to demonstrate my trustworthiness... But as you seem to be willing to let go of it entirely, it might be worth a try Wink

Absolutely!
legendary
Activity: 4158
Merit: 4811
You're never too old to think young.
Hi folks,

Thanks.

Activity: 841
I know that you have to be verified to withdraw Bitcoins, however when i submitted them i didn't need to translate them. They accepted my Dutch documents without a problem, maybe because back then the verification queue at Mt.Gox had a record length.
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
Hi folks,

Mt. Gox is telling me that, in order to withdraw bitcoins,  I need to get my non-English language documents translated and notarized and mailed to Japan.

Thanks.

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
bucket shop?

Yes it's a bucket shop, a place where people go to make “side bets” on loans, scams and bankruptcy like a bookie for betting. It's perfect for Bitcoin.

Agree, reminds me of "boiler room".

I wouldn't touch any of those "investments" listed on wikipedia, guess they are on SecondMarket for a reason.

Well considering that you have to earn over 200k a year or be a millionaire to touch those investments...
I don't think you need to worry.

Maybe they can team up with BFL and Bitcoinica to create a new startup called SecondScammer since that's what they specialize in. lol
Activity: 454
bucket shop?

Yes it's a bucket shop, a place where people go to make “side bets” on loans, scams and bankruptcy like a bookie for betting. It's perfect for Bitcoin.

I wouldn't touch any of those "investments" listed on wikipedia, guess they are on SecondMarket for a reason.

Well considering that you have to earn over 200k a year or be a millionaire to touch those investments...
I don't think you need to worry.
Activity: 770
Merit: 501
yea, already read that. I was more looking for any current figures.
that wikipedia article is quite old.
The firm's private-company transactions, which totaled $100 million in 2009, quadrupled by 2010 to $400 million. Based on first-quarter results, SecondMarket could broker $1 billion in private-company shares in 20118

only found some interesting reviews of former employees:
http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/SecondMarket-Reviews-E432167.htm
and this article
http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/25/secondmarket-confirms-layoffs-to-have-leaner-cost-structure-become-break-even/

ehh...really sounds perfect for bitcoin  Tongue

edit:
http://www.inc.com/eric-markowitz/second-market-second-act-sec-ruling.html
http://betabeat.com/2013/04/layoffs-at-secondmarket-barry-silbert/
legendary
Activity: 1267
bucket shop?

Activity: 454
Bitcoin ETF maybe?
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
bucket shop?

Jump to: