Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 32272. (Read 26474181 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 286
Neptune, Scalable Privacy
I am beginning to think that Bitcoin is a project by U.S. intelligence agencies to cognitively infiltrate Austrian economic enthusiasts by way of educating them about how things got to be the way they are.
What lessons are being learned exactly?

Well, for one, that quantitative metrics matter. It is not sufficient to make a projection to extremes based on the limited understanding of a theory. This is important for understanding little things like when you can apply linear relationships and when you have to apply exponential relationships... Little things like that.

For another. Market systems are more complex than you might expect if the only model you have for them is a cartoon. It is insufficient to simply dismiss things you don't agree with as 'externalities'. One thing we have learned very well about risk management is that externalities and complexities matter.
Isn't it a bit judgemental to think that all members in here subscribe to just one economic theory? I wrote this a long time a go and I also had my fight with the pure Austrians:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/how-to-value-a-currency-160227
Not much going on in here so I might as well throw this question out:
If you want to buy for a large amount, say between $ 50k and $ 200k, what is usually the be way to buy them on the exchanges?
By announcing on a public forum when you're going to buy and at what price you're prepared to buy. Posts on this thread such as, "Wow, get ready for the big one," will suffice just fine though.
I can't see what all the fuss is about. I trade bitcoins for my customers but I do not currently need to buy this kind of amount. I might in the future, though. Might as well arm myself with some knowledge.
legendary
Activity: 2842
Merit: 1511
If you want to buy for a large amount, say between $ 50k and $ 200k, what is usually the be way to buy them on the exchanges?
By announcing on a public forum when you're going to buy and at what price you're prepared to buy. Posts on this thread such as, "Wow, get ready for the big one," will suffice just fine though.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001
₪``Campaign Manager´´₪
I am beginning to think that Bitcoin is a project by U.S. intelligence agencies to cognitively infiltrate Austrian economic enthusiasts by way of educating them about how things got to be the way they are.
What lessons are being learned exactly?
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

LOL'd
I'd love to explore further, that's infiltrate not influence

So now the Austrians know how we got here and why things are the way they are what was the point?

Infiltrate, as in Cass Sunstien.

The Austrians are slowly learning.

What? That reform is necessary
legendary

LOL'd
I'd love to explore further, that's infiltrate not influence

So now the Austrians know how we got here and why things are the way they are what was the point?
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010
If you want to buy for a large amount, say between $ 50k and $ 200k, what is usually the be way to buy them on the exchanges? I guess somekind of limit order would be preferable?

First off, don't post the question on these forums  Cheesy.  

But seriously, that's not a huge amount -- ~500 to 2k coins at today's prices.  The key questions here are:
What's your starting point? (are you verified on any exchanges)
What's your timeframe?
Is this potentially a repeat thing?
Are you interesting in cultivating new exchanges?

The best short-term strategy that does not involve manipulation would be to purchase on multiple exchanges simultaneously.  You could probably fill that order on bitstamp, btc-e, campbx and only drive the price up a buck or two.  By using multiple exchanges and buying as soon as the money hits your accounts you minimize exchange risk.  But that presupposes you have accounts in these places.

If you had only one account (at bitstamp, say) and a longer timeframe, I'd break the purchase into 3-4 smaller wires to minimize exchange risk.  That would also space the purchases out so you'd likely not move the market.

But if you anticipate repeat business (and judging by your website, I'd guess you do), I'd register and KYC with every exchange I could find, including one in China.  Because you never know when an exchange could disappear... and if you are filling whale orders you may need to produce on a short timeframe.

Finally, you might want to create a relationship with one of the new exchanges that have been recently announced and risk a few $ filling out their bid orderbook.  I'll bet a phone call could get you really low fees...

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Ultranode
Is it a weekday? I can't tell by looking at the daily volume.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
This bull will try to shake you off. Hold tight!
If you want to buy for a large amount, say between $ 50k and $ 200k, what is usually the be way to buy them on the exchanges? I guess somekind of limit order would be preferable?

Very good question Smiley

Do you want to buy for the current price of around $135 for sure?

Or do you doubt about buying at current price and think about waiting for it to go lower?

I have moderate experience in buying such quantity from an exchange. It is difficult to give good advice, because it depends a lot on the exchange, the general mood, and the players in the exchange. If there are big sellers watching, it may be good to set up a wall near the market, this will induce them to sell without slippage for both. This approach may, however, be detrimental in boom days, where a big bid wall just prompts other bidders higher.

If you dare to bring scarecoins to the particular exchange, it is possible to pretend to be on the sell side with big walls, while actually purchasing nimbly. Even more aggressive tactic is to batter the price down with a supposed flood of coins (very few of which are actually for sale though) and purchase 5-10% cheaper.

Before doing anything creative it is important to familiarize yourself with the exchange in question, plus the market situation.

Sirius Money looks good. +1  Smiley
Thank you! Good to see you back online. How is Hopea doing?
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

I have moderate experience in buying such quantity from an exchange. It is difficult to give good advice, because it depends a lot on the exchange, the general mood, and the players in the exchange. If there are big sellers watching, it may be good to set up a wall near the market, this will induce them to sell without slippage for both. This approach may, however, be detrimental in boom days, where a big bid wall just prompts other bidders higher.

If you dare to bring scarecoins to the particular exchange, it is possible to pretend to be on the sell side with big walls, while actually purchasing nimbly. Even more aggressive tactic is to batter the price down with a supposed flood of coins (very few of which are actually for sale though) and purchase 5-10% cheaper.

Before doing anything creative it is important to familiarize yourself with the exchange in question, plus the market situation.

Sirius Money looks good. +1  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1442
Antifragile

Whats up with bitstamp banning trading.i286 from using it?
http://trading.i286.org/bitstamp/?item=btc¤cy=usd

I think they got caught up in the number of API request thing. Hopefully they can get it sorted out, whatever the reason.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1001
Energy is Wealth

Whats up with bitstamp banning trading.i286 from using it?
http://trading.i286.org/bitstamp/?item=btc¤cy=usd
Activity: 605
Merit: 634
gawd (TM). And the thread goes back to when AOL added IRC to their 'Package Deal'.
legendary

So what you are saying is there is a chance that with enough circle jerkin' we could propel bitcoin over $1000 by friday?

I read ya  Wink

/\ that or Electricmucus sees a bunch a frat boys about to go blind.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Ultranode
If you didn't know what a circle jerk is: (I come from a sheltered environment)

It is: When a bunch of politicians - get together for a debate but usually end up agreeing with each other's viewpoints to the point of redundancy, stroking each other's egos as if they were extensions of their genitals. Basically, it's what happens when the choir preaches to itself.

I LOL'd at the thought applied to Bitcoin.

So what you are saying is there is a chance that with enough circle jerkin' we could propel bitcoin over $1000 by friday?

I read ya  Wink
legendary
If you didn't know what a circle jerk is: (I come from a sheltered environment)

It is: When a bunch of politicians - get together for a debate but usually end up agreeing with each other's viewpoints to the point of redundancy, stroking each other's egos as if they were extensions of their genitals. Basically, it's what happens when the choir preaches to itself.

I LOL'd at the thought applied to Bitcoin.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Just to throw a vote out there, i much prefer this thread without the charbuddy updates. It keeps people from being notified all the time and feeling like they should say something evne when there's no real developments. We don't need hourly notifications for subscribers to this thread. 

I would also like to throw a vote out there: stop using colored text.

I also cast my vote in favor of this measure, which seems more relevant than the ChartBuddy issue anyways.

As long as CB is small, 3d, and accurate, I don't particularly care, but it'd be nice if it only updated hourly when volatility was significant. Otherwise once every 6-12 hours is probably sufficient.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
Just to throw a vote out there, i much prefer this thread without the charbuddy updates. It keeps people from being notified all the time and feeling like they should say something evne when there's no real developments. We don't need hourly notifications for subscribers to this thread. 

I would also like to throw a vote out there: stop using colored text.
If you look at it through rose colored glasses, it disappears.

NOFX - I'm going to hell for this one

"If you're gonna look to me,
better get rose colored shades,
Cause what you see is what you get"
Jump to: