Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 33295. (Read 26463427 times)

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1782
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
Activity: 894
Merit: 501
I think that's pretty unlikely. These walls are probably mostly from gox... bitstamp has proved itself pretty reliable and reasonably liquid. I doubt these big sellers want to go anywhere else.

Just be patient I guess, this is not the first time Bitstamp is a few dollars behind on Gox. Now perhaps a bit more than at other times but it's a free market and it will fix itself one way or another. I'd like to arbitrage if I could by selling bitcoins on MtGox and then buying them again on Bitstamp but I'm afraid the process will take too long. I guess other people would have already done it if there was a quick and easy way to arbitrage...

Depends how much cash you want to arb. I was just using bitinstant to do it a couple of hours ago. Made 6% easy. Limits are $500 per transfer, and limited total per day. I only got $876 across. But now, oddly, bitstamp has suddenly been removed from the bitinstant pay options. I don't know if that's a glitch or if they've cancelled bitstamp pays...

Are bitinstant the only ones doing this sort of thing?
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
I think that's pretty unlikely. These walls are probably mostly from gox... bitstamp has proved itself pretty reliable and reasonably liquid. I doubt these big sellers want to go anywhere else.

Just be patient I guess, this is not the first time Bitstamp is a few dollars behind on Gox. Now perhaps a bit more than at other times but it's a free market and it will fix itself one way or another. I'd like to arbitrage if I could by selling bitcoins on MtGox and then buying them again on Bitstamp but I'm afraid the process will take too long. I guess other people would have already done it if there was a quick and easy way to arbitrage...

The fees would eat you up, not the risk of time.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

legendary
Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006
Radio Stream from #Bitcoin2013 in San Jose - LIVE NOW!

LINK: http://www.freetalklive.com/listen/live

Reposting what I posted to reddit just now:

I won't be able to tune in all night... Cry

Would be super awesome if some of you guys would be so kind as to take notes of interesting developments or breaking news covered on the stream and post them here. <3

Hmm... Conference coverage was cut off by some really annoying commersials and pre-recorded self-promotion loops. Hope they return shortly.

Yay, they're back...

Interviewing Fred Ehrsam from Coinbase right now. Cheesy
This is awesome. And I'll stop talking to my self now. Wink

legendary
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
"to be or not to be, that is the bitcoin"

bitstamp still looking pretty unhealthy... until those asks clear off one way or another, I don't see us following gox on any big upward climb.

That will only encourage people to leave them, to take advantage of arbitrage elsewhere, and that will make the sell wall mostly disappear, unless some people stubbornly sticky with them. I bought some routed from Bitfinex, so I can't transfer any bitcoin out to get a better rate. I hope I don't come to regret that, and that the wall disappears soon. Hopefully they get a good way to import dollars, that would help stabilize it, so long as there's people still left to fund their account through them.

bitstamp still looking pretty unhealthy... until those asks clear off one way or another, I don't see us following gox on any big upward climb.

That will only encourage people to leave them, to take advantage of arbitrage elsewhere, and that will make the sell wall mostly disappear, unless some people stubbornly sticky with them. I bought some routed from Bitfinex, so I can't transfer any bitcoin out to get a better rate. I hope I don't come to regret that, and that the wall disappears soon. Hopefully they get a good way to import dollars, that would help stabilize it, so long as there's people still left to fund their account through them.
Activity: 69
I'm not a day trader but I follow the this thread (ie. the best thread to keep up to date in bitcoin and recent events) but as my spare time is limited I struggle to follow every page.

I'd just like to know what peoples opinions are on why the price is currently going up. My feeling is people buying in anticipation on what this weekends events will produce?

I'd start a separate thread but I've been lurking around here for a few years now and have learned that this thread is the best source of opinions (in my opinion  Wink).

there's a lot going on, and its all being down played by the "bad news" that the government is starting to regulate the cash flow out of bitcoin.
IMO the fact that government is taking notice is a good thing, and i see big projects in the works, with some real funding backing it up, this will have serious consequences for bitcoin.

when the FUD turns to Facts, bitcoin will blast off with more force then we have ever seen before.

For better or worse, and despite the fact that some people believe that bitcoin is impervious to government intervention, I believe that it is inevitable. Whether that ends up been good or bad is yet to be seen but the sooner it is dealt with the better.
Activity: 544
Merit: 500
Damn you Americanos ! Sell your Alt coins on BTC-E transfer the BTC to MT GOX and sell for a $10 gain !  Soooo jealous
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
I'm not a day trader but I follow the this thread (ie. the best thread to keep up to date in bitcoin and recent events) but as my spare time is limited I struggle to follow every page.

I'd just like to know what peoples opinions are on why the price is currently going up. My feeling is people buying in anticipation on what this weekends events will produce?

I'd start a separate thread but I've been lurking around here for a few years now and have learned that this thread is the best source of opinions (in my opinion  Wink).

there's a lot going on, and its all being down played by the "bad news" that the government is starting to regulate the cash flow out of bitcoin.
IMO the fact that government is taking notice is a good thing, and i see big projects in the works, with some real funding backing it up, this will have serious consequences for bitcoin.

when the FUD turns to Facts, bitcoin will blast off with more force then we have ever seen before.

Some times Fear Uncertainty and Doubt is warranted. And when it does it is wise to act with caution.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
"to be or not to be, that is the bitcoin"

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner

I'd start a separate thread but I've been lurking around here for a few years now and have learned that this thread is the best source of opinions (in my opinion  Wink).

legendary
I can see these walls have been going up but people still need to have the confidence to buy into them. Which I presume is down to the anticipation that this weekend has built up to. It seems to me a lot have been sitting on the fence waiting to see what happens this weekend and now people are trying to get there foot in the door before the next guy.

It might be in part because of the weekends event, but I think it's more because of a steady build up to challenging the $120 price (After many attempts), and once it broke out, it went on to the next tier.

At the time $113 or so was a very strong support, that was crawling up on the price, and that helped scare it up, I think.

I'd start a separate thread but I've been lurking around here for a few years now and have learned that this thread is the best source of opinions (in my opinion  Wink).
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner

What just happened there? The order book isn't that thin that such a jump should happen for a 100 btc trade. Mtgox order matching failure, or am I missing something?
clearly there was more than 100 BTC traded

I meant "100 btc in a single order". Look at the graph, or the order history: market price jumped from 124.18 to 121.70, after a ~100 btc trade. Don't tell me that's usual?

oh ic, that was a sell ( see the red arrow )

someone buy 103.67 at 124.18$
1/2 a second later someone sells 0.86 at 121.70$

the price jumps up and down wildly because the spread between bid and ask was high

this is not unusual in a rally, their always someone trying to sell a few coins after every big buy to make price LOOK lower than it really is.

What just happened there? The order book isn't that thin that such a jump should happen for a 100 btc trade. Mtgox order matching failure, or am I missing something?

I meant "100 btc in a single order". Look at the graph, or the order history: market price jumped from 124.18 to 121.70, after a ~100 btc trade. Don't tell me that's usual?

It was the 1160 and 749 bitcoin trades. You might have missed seeing them. And that caused a large difference in price.

Also someone else removed their support order.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

Jump to: