Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 33335. (Read 26463083 times)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
Not familiar with any laws (or how to read them lawyer speak) so might a dumb question...but does the USD being legal tender in the US mean that other currencies are illegal? Or the other currencies can still be be used but just not legally obliged to be accepted?

From my limited understanding as well (so nothing dumb about it, my friend) a business can not accept a foriegn currency.  It can only deal in US legal tender.  It's not illegal to possess them, but to spend them in the US, on US goods and services is a clear violation of US policy.

So by that thinking, and as one stated earlier, owning Bitcoins is not illegal.  Using them is or at least technically.

Every single gas station and grocery store in the USA along the Canadian border accept Canadian dollars.

What's your point?  US doesn't choose to enforce every law on the books, but start messing with its currency & ability to collect taxes?  Gah...
legendary
Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047
What a piece of shit Mt Gox is. I really hope this guy goes to jail. In my life i have seen such an incompetence. How many millions have been lost due to this guy inability to run this company.
Your are free to start your own and better exchange.
He got the best Magic the Gathering cards, he just found one day that he was running a billion dollar company (or exchange to a billion dollar market). So instead of playing with mages and trolls cards he just started to play businessman being absolutely horrible at it and making thousands of savers lose their hard earned money. Just one catastrophic failure after the other and never learn.
Mark didn't start mt.gox, it was the previous owner whom this magic the gathering card plan originated from.

Again...

What argument is that? I am good at my own profession. I run and administer some services 24x7 and i have some Service level agreements to comply with. If i don't comply i have to pay absolutely severe fines. Why is MtGox going unharmed for all their incompetence?

If i go to ear a concert and nobody plays music i cannot complain?? If i go to a restaurant and instead of food i get chlodric acid i cannot complain? They get fined. MtGox goes unharmed always and i cannot even complain?

That reasoning you just posted (why don't you do it yourself) would end job specialization. If i am a dentist i can do well my job but i require a good service from some other ...

So let me see, should i also study law to be my own judge and study politics and be my own senator or if not i cannot complain ...? Don't understand your argument really
I think mt.gox has been doing a pretty decent job all things considered, it's very demanding to run an exchange.

To answer your example: If you're not happy with the restaurant you go to another one next time, you can complain all you want, but in the end if a lot of people keep going to that restaurant you detest so much perhaps it's not really the restaurant that is the problem but the lack of better alternatives? That leaves you only one option: create that better alternative.

It doesn't help to complain if there are no better alternatives. And if there are, well then it should be pretty simple right? People just start using those alternatives.

Activity: 14
What a piece of shit Mt Gox is. I really hope this guy goes to jail. In my life i have seen such an incompetence. How many millions have been lost due to this guy inability to run this company.
He got the best Magic the Gathering cards, he just found one day that he was running a billion dollar company (or exchange to a billion dollar market). So instead of playing with mages and trolls cards he just started to play businessman being absolutely horrible at it and making thousands of savers lose their hard earned money. Just one catastrophic failure after the other and never learn.
Mark didn't start mt.gox, it was the previous owner whom this magic the gathering card plan originated from.

Again...

What argument is that? I am good at my own profession. I run and administer some services 24x7 and i have some Service level agreements to comply with. If i don't comply i have to pay absolutely severe fines. Why is MtGox going unharmed for all their incompetence?

If i go to ear a concert and nobody plays music i cannot complain?? If i go to a restaurant and instead of food i get chlodric acid i cannot complain? They get fined. MtGox goes unharmed always and i cannot even complain?

That reasoning you just posted (why don't you do it yourself) would end job specialization. If i am a dentist i can do well my job but i require a good service from some other ...

So let me see, should i also study law to be my own judge and study politics and be my own senator or if not i cannot complain ...? Don't understand your argument really

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.
- Benjamin Franklin
Activity: 514
Merit: 500
What a piece of shit Mt Gox is. I really hope this guy goes to jail. In my life i have seen such an imcompetence. How many millions have been lost due to this guy inability to run this company.

He got the best Magic the Gathering cards, he just found one day that he was running a billion dollar company (or exchange to a billion dollar market). So instead of playing with mages and trolls cards he just started to play businessman being absolutely horrible at it and making thousands of savers lose their hard earned money.

Why don't you open an exchange?

Let's see if you can do better.

To date, no one has done better.
I would disagree with that, but it seems most people want to stay with mtgox, which is fine with me
...I really hope this guy goes to jail. In my life i have seen such an incompetence....
savers lose their hard earned money. Just one catastrophic failure after the other and never learn.
Please.  You're on *speculation forum*  bitching about an overseas currency exchange.  You are not a saver.  You're a speculator -- chin up, bud!  
Activity: 669
Not familiar with any laws (or how to read them lawyer speak) so might a dumb question...but does the USD being legal tender in the US mean that other currencies are illegal? Or the other currencies can still be be used but just not legally obliged to be accepted?

From my limited understanding as well (so nothing dumb about it, my friend) a business can not accept a foriegn currency.  It can only deal in US legal tender.  It's not illegal to possess them, but to spend them in the US, on US goods and services is a clear violation of US policy.

So by that thinking, and as one stated earlier, owning Bitcoins is not illegal.  Using them is or at least technically.

Every single gas station and grocery store in the USA along the Canadian border accept Canadian dollars.
Activity: 371
Merit: 250

Again...

legendary
Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047
Activity: 728
Merit: 501
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
What a piece of shit Mt Gox is. I really hope this guy goes to jail. In my life i have seen such an imcompetence. How many millions have been lost due to this guy inability to run this company.

He got the best Magic the Gathering cards, he just found one day that he was running a billion dollar company (or exchange to a billion dollar market). So instead of playing with mages and trolls cards he just started to play businessman being absolutely horrible at it and making thousands of savers lose their hard earned money.

Lots have done better.

That's like saying, go make your own Facebook. Well FB has 400 million members, even if your site is better that doesn't mean you'll overtake a monopoly. By most definitions MtGox did/does have a monopoly. When liquidity matters, it's hard to overcome that starting out.

Over time better exchanges will come, and MtGox will lose it's market share. It's an awful POS trade engine, limited features, poorly run, unreliable and insecure.
Activity: 350
This account was recently hacked
It wouldn't surprise me if these ddos attacks were being set up by the US government or the banks, who are much the same thing anyway

Tin foil hat on standby....
Activity: 224
Merit: 10

Times have changed and it's clear things are getting to big for Mark. I don't understand how you can't see it? There are a lot of people who can do a better job. Now i'm not talking about teenagers running exchanges in their mum's basement but real professionals need to enter the Bitcoin world. The position that needs a professional the most right now is the CEO of MtGox. And it has been like that for some time now.
I should probably post this in the tech/dev section, but since MtGox is down, here's my proposal for a true P2P Bitcoin network independent of DARPA-tainted interwebz:

Activity: 672
I don't know why everyone is hoping for a DDOS. That's only going to hurt Bitcoins reputation even more, so nobody will take it seriously anymore. It's gonna hurt Bitcoins value in the long run...

Yup, that's what the people want here.
They get extremely excited every time something bad happens to Bitcoin. The more bad the better.
Then they start screaming about cheap coins while high fiving each other.
The lower Bitcoin crashes the more excited the get.
They actually would love to see Bitcoin go completely kaput. Then they can buy 1000's of coins that are worth 10 cents each. They would just love it!

Cheap coins people! Cheap coins!
Activity: 434

Activity: 826
Merit: 508
Of course! Just as I thought this wedge was going to break down....

..... now it's probably going to break upwards! Good old gox lag.
 502 503 502 503 502 503  and page loads with  Last price:$112.89923
Jump to: