Pages:
Author

Topic: What's wrong with eating meat? - page 17. (Read 30267 times)

legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
April 23, 2014, 04:16:23 PM
I might go meatless in the future.
Making the commitment is difficult and I'm not ready.

Who likes PETA?
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
......sorry.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
April 23, 2014, 03:56:13 PM
A cow which you had to feed with much more plants than you would have needed if you ate them directly...

But you seem to be missing the fact that a cow is going to eat plants whether you knock its head with a brick or not.  

You earned this, nice arguments.
If you avoid eating the cow, a lot more additional plants need to be eaten to provide you with enough calories.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
April 23, 2014, 03:29:24 PM
His points don't make much sense at all. And try eating a diet of only meat and see what happens.
1) That's his personal view.
2) Is correct, you need to eat a lof of plants to make up for eating a single cow.
3) This is also correct.

What are you talking about?

A cow which you had to feed with much more plants than you would have needed if you ate them directly...

But you seem to be missing the fact that a cow is going to eat plants whether you knock its head with a brick or not. 
Activity: 462
Merit: 253
April 23, 2014, 02:39:18 PM
His points don't make much sense at all. And try eating a diet of only meat and see what happens.
2) Is correct, you need to eat a lof of plants to make up for eating a single cow.
3) This is also correct.

legendary
Terminated.
April 23, 2014, 02:32:20 PM
3) This is also correct.

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
April 23, 2014, 02:22:10 PM
he health and environmental benefits are largely incontrovertible. There are spurious claims about vitamins and minerals being more prevalent in red meat, but those claims tend to ignore the levels needed in the body and the fact that these levels are easily met by vegetarian diets.

I think the healthiest option would be a mostly vegan diet with occasional meats.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
April 23, 2014, 02:20:08 PM
My take on eating meat:

1)  If you eat plants, you're not killing, but you are raping and pillaging the food source and/or homes of other animals and insects.

2)  By eating higher up the food chain, you can extract more energy per creature eaten.  Do you know how many vegetables you would need to eat have to consume same number of calories in a single cow?

3)  It's nutritious and healthy.
Finally someone pointed out a few valid points.
Also it isn't that unhealthy to eat meat.

legendary
Terminated.
April 23, 2014, 02:16:00 PM
My take on eating meat:

1)  If you eat plants, you're not killing, but you are raping and pillaging the food source and/or homes of other animals and insects.

2)  By eating higher up the food chain, you can extract more energy per creature eaten.  Do you know how many vegetables you would need to eat have to consume same number of calories in a single cow?

3)  It's nutritious and healthy.
Finally someone pointed out a few valid points.
Also it isn't that unhealthy to eat meat.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
April 23, 2014, 01:35:20 PM
he health and environmental benefits are largely incontrovertible. There are spurious claims about vitamins and minerals being more prevalent in red meat, but those claims tend to ignore the levels needed in the body and the fact that these levels are easily met by vegetarian diets.
April 23, 2014, 01:19:23 PM
A day when all lions, crocodiles and sharks go vegan shall be the day when i go vegan.

Yeah. Can cannibals eat you too since you're fair game?
April 23, 2014, 01:15:06 PM
A day when all lions, crocodiles and sharks go vegan shall be the day when i go vegan.

They are carnivores. We are not.
DSF
Activity: 151
Merit: 100
April 23, 2014, 01:13:26 PM
A day when all spiders, eagles, lions, crocodiles and sharks go vegan shall be the day when i go vegan.
April 23, 2014, 01:12:41 PM
if you eat meat that was produced cruelly, you arecomplicit with that cruelty. It is considered morally wrong in our culture. Most arguments to nature can be attributed to culture..

What do you define as cruel?

Yeah stabbing something in the throat sounds cruel to me.

If we acknowledge that animals have rights, and thus a right to life, are we then obligated to stop animals from killing other animals? Even if we are then responsible for the death of the guilty aggressor animals? Just trying to find some ideological consistency within all the butthurt and confirmation bias.

No. They do not have morals or a conscience. We do.

So what's the problem with eating animals who were simply going to eat more animals? Think of all the animals I'm saving!

Then what's the problem with a cannibal eating you? Think of all the animals he's saving!
Activity: 366
April 23, 2014, 01:10:48 PM
if you eat meat that was produced cruelly, you arecomplicit with that cruelty. It is considered morally wrong in our culture. Most arguments to nature can be attributed to culture..

What do you define as cruel?
Activity: 778
Merit: 1002
April 23, 2014, 01:10:13 PM
If we acknowledge that animals have rights, and thus a right to life, are we then obligated to stop animals from killing other animals? Even if we are then responsible for the death of the guilty aggressor animals? Just trying to find some ideological consistency within all the butthurt and confirmation bias.

So what's the problem with eating animals who were simply going to eat more animals? Think of all the animals I'm saving!
Activity: 350
April 23, 2014, 01:09:48 PM
April 23, 2014, 01:08:29 PM

That would be ridiculously immoral and would mess-up the food chain.

For most vegetarians, eating meat is not a problem at all - the problem is how the animals are kept in horrible factory-farming conditions, akin to slavery. If we lived like the carnivorous animals, who kill others in totally fair and natural ways, eating meat would not pose the moral and ecological problems that it does now.
April 23, 2014, 01:05:06 PM

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002
April 23, 2014, 01:02:55 PM
April 23, 2014, 12:57:09 PM

Have to agree with that. Most of the deforestation in Asia is occurring due to the clearing of land for paddy farming. So we cannot say that vegan lifestyle is environment-friendly.

You can't blame that on a vegan lifestyle. Rice is a massive food staple of the entire world, especially Asia.
Pages:
Jump to: