Pages:
Author

Topic: Where to fix your Asic miners. - page 4. (Read 33640 times)

legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 6279
be constructive or S.T.F.U
March 15, 2022, 06:02:49 AM
You assume so much when you talk that it is impossible to take you seriously. There are actual real issues going on right now that I don't have time to argue with you where our servers are located I am just trying to relay the message to anyone trying to contact us.

I am not assuming anything, scroll back and read the comments, people reported up to 6 months delay using your service, and no, this is not a "right now" issue, it has been going on since last year long before the war.

I personally would not touch your company with a wooden pile, however, I can not stop people from using your service, but at least, they should know what to expect when they send you a mining gear to fix.
Activity: 13
Merit: 2
March 15, 2022, 01:28:45 AM
Yes someone who takes a few months to repair a miner and sends it back fixed and hashing is forsure a scam or equal to a scammer.

Folks are complaining about you not replying them for months, let alone send them a fixed miner, if my miner sits at your place for months which could turn into years, how is it different from sending it to a scammer who stops responding to my emails? In both cases the miner's is unknown, I did not claim that you are a scammer, my statement was clear, I am not responsible for any misunderstanding on your behalf.

Some of our servers are in Ukraine and are currently down so we cannot respond. (This only refers to anyone that has tried to contact us in the last few weeks.)

So your mail server as well as your phone service are located in Ukraine? Ok.

Anyway, nothing against your company really, but honestly, why take more work than you can finish? Maybe hire someone to respond to the emails and pick up the phone? I mean eventually people will start calling you scam, and then you can't fix what has been broken.

Good luck.

You assume so much when you talk that it is impossible to take you seriously. There are actual real issues going on right now that I don't have time to argue with you where our servers are located I am just trying to relay the message to anyone trying to contact us.
legendary
March 14, 2022, 08:11:07 PM
Yes someone who takes a few months to repair a miner and sends it back fixed and hashing is forsure a scam or equal to a scammer.

Folks are complaining about you not replying them for months, let alone send them a fixed miner, if my miner sits at your place for months which could turn into years, how is it different from sending it to a scammer who stops responding to my emails? In both cases the miner's is unknown, I did not claim that you are a scammer, my statement was clear, I am not responsible for any misunderstanding on your behalf.

Some of our servers are in Ukraine and are currently down so we cannot respond. (This only refers to anyone that has tried to contact us in the last few weeks.)

So your mail server as well as your phone service are located in Ukraine? Ok.

Anyway, nothing against your company really, but honestly, why take more work than you can finish? Maybe hire someone to respond to the emails and pick up the phone? I mean eventually people will start calling you scam, and then you can't fix what has been broken.

Good luck.
Activity: 13
Merit: 2
March 14, 2022, 03:02:29 PM
Any recent feedback on D-Central or Myrig?

This is about myrig:
They were very good until they don't. They repaired several machines and most of them works after months (which is a miracle with S17)>

BUT:
In the last few months, they stopped answering emails. Their phone number is dead too.
And they still owe us like free machines some of them for 5-6 months now.

I can understand if you have a lot of work. Don't take new ones. But you should at least finish the ones you took months ago...

Sorry about the drop in performance. Honestly you are a very good customer and some of these units that we have had for a while I would of normally declared "dead" but I have kept around trying since you have been a nice returning customer. I apologize since it wasn't my intention to make you feel like we wasted your time.

This is about myrig:
They were very good until they don't. They repaired several machines and most of them works after months (which is a miracle with S17)>

BUT:
In the last few months, they stopped answering emails. Their phone number is dead too.

I can understand if you have a lot of work. Don't take new ones. But you should at least finish the ones you took months ago...

You are not the first person to report such a problem, in fact, I posted a huge warning in the original post regarding Myrig, someone was mad at me for doing so -- claiming that "just because Myrig is one of the few services that actually fix miners - it shouldn't be talked about negatively".

Honesty people can call this whatever they want, to me, there is a little to no difference between  1- someone who attempts to directly scam me by taking my broken gear and running away 2- a "legit" company that keeps my gears for months and months without even replying to my emails or answering my calls.

If anyone is having issues contacting Myrig please send me a dm. Some of our servers are in Ukraine and are currently down so we cannot respond. (This only refers to anyone that has tried to contact us in the last few weeks.)
legendary
March 12, 2022, 07:04:53 PM
This is about myrig:

BUT:

You are not the first person to report such a problem, in fact, I posted a huge warning in the original post regarding Myrig, someone was mad at me for doing so -- claiming that "just because Myrig is one of the few services that actually fix miners - it shouldn't be talked about negatively".

Honesty people can call this whatever they want, to me, there is a little to no difference between  1- someone who attempts to directly scam me by taking my broken gear and running away 2- a "legit" company that keeps my gears for months and months without even replying to my emails or answering my calls.
Activity: 183
Merit: 112
Just digging around
March 12, 2022, 03:43:32 PM

This is about myrig:

BUT:

Activity: 544
Merit: 589
February 13, 2022, 11:07:29 AM
I see many people now replace these apw12 PSUs with another brand like the one made by Alpha, it is 4kw and seems pretty solid, problem is it only runs at 277v which is not an option for many of us.

I'm trying to get one of those Alpha PSUs to try out for the S17. The AC input range for the APW9 and APW12 replacements is 200 - 280, so you don't need 277.

As for repair, the problem with PSU repair is that PSUs don't cost that much. You can charge $200 or $300 to repair a hashboard that would be worth >$1000 no problem, but when you're charging $250 to repair a PSU that you can buy a brand new replacement for $300...

I have a pile of dead APW9s. Whenever I consider trying to repair one I always come to the conclusion that it isn't worth the time to figure it out, especially when I have piles of hashboards waiting for repair. Although I've heard that there are a few components that typically fail and so a lot of times it is an easy repair.
legendary
February 13, 2022, 09:52:40 AM
You would think that now that they ask about 10-12k USD for S19 Pro, it would be easy budget wise to put some more money in to the PSU design...

You want to hear the funnier part? The PSU itself is not under warranty, if you send only a PSU to bitmain they will not fix it.

NFW, i am pretty sure it's mainly poor quality aka cheap components, also a lot of it has to do with the bad cooling design since some folks started to get a lower failure rate when they improved the PSU cooling.

I see many people now replace these apw12 PSUs with another brand like the one made by Alpha, it is 4kw and seems pretty solid, problem is it only runs at 277v which is not an option for many of us.
legendary
Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706
Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.
February 13, 2022, 06:28:33 AM
You would think that now that they ask about 10-12k USD for S19 Pro, it would be easy budget wise to put some more money in to the PSU design...
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
February 12, 2022, 10:45:28 PM
as of late the PSU's seem to be the weak point. Also one that should be very servicable.

You are right, someone recently reported a 25% failure rate on s19s PSUs, they seem to have fixed the heatsink/chip solder issues they had with the 17 series and now started to screw with the PSUs.
That is astonishingly bad... Switching power supplies are not rocket science and by nature of their simplicity, should be damn near failure proof. Having a 25% failure rate points to some serious design compromise issues in trying to get the lowest possible build cost. Hell, even a 1% failure rate should be cause for concern.

My 1st guess from a manufacturing cost standpoint would be the output filter caps. Switching supplies operate at a very high frequency - well over 100kHz - and that demands very careful selection of the caps. They MUST be a type with very low ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) using either a X5R or preferably, a X7R material for the dielectric. Thing is - those cost over 2x what a common general-purpose ceramic cap costs and are produced in much lower volumes than the more common and more easily available ones. With the switching frequencies the PSU's operate at using electrolytic caps is out of the question when designing for any sort of reliability plus would be too bulky compared to ceramic caps.

While you can use the lower cost common ceramic ones they WILL fail from internally overheating and current erosion even when using a lot more individual caps to spread out the loads reducing current spikes and resulting heating in the individual caps. At that point it becomes a balance between reliability (use the correct low ESR caps or more of the common caps along with just how many more of them) and cost. Think we know who had the final say: Accountants, not the Engineers...

The line side of the supply is harder to screw up by using under-spec'd (cheaper) components and same for the switching FET's, we're talking only a penny or two difference in cost between parts rated for x voltage/current and ones rated a bit higher. Again, it would be great for someone to do forensics on a few dead PSU's to find out what their failure mechanisms are.
legendary
February 12, 2022, 05:47:29 PM
as of late the PSU's seem to be the weak point. Also one that should be very servicable.

You are right, someone recently reported a 25% failure rate on s19s PSUs, they seem to have fixed the heatsink/chip solder issues they had with the 17 series and now started to screw with the PSUs.
legendary
February 11, 2022, 07:35:33 PM
I am considering sending a couple of my technicians for formal training in ASIC repair to add to our list of services.

I have very limited knowledge in this field, but I am certain your guys don't need "formal training" if they are good at what they do already, wndsnb is now professional in hash board repair, I don't recall he took any courses, but he indeed is very talented in his field and was able to quickly able to learn how to deal with all that mess.

I got nothing against "special training" to speed things up, but I don't think that kind of training is available anywhere outside of China and maybe Russia, to send 2-3 guys it will cost a few tens of thousands of dollars, since you have the tools (judging by your current business) you can just buy a 1-2 working miners, and a few dead hash boards and get your guys to self-learn, the resources online are somehow limited, but they are there nonetheless.
Well, the OP could always reach out to Canaan...
They did a very nice round of training for Hagss - and paid  for it all including travel Cheesy

Mikey would have to chip in on this but as I've said, looking through miner fault posts, as of late the PSU's seem to be the weak point. Also one that should be very servicable...

Perhaps someone could send the OP a couple dead PSU's to have their folks take a look at them Wink
legendary
February 11, 2022, 06:01:38 PM
I am considering sending a couple of my technicians for formal training in ASIC repair to add to our list of services.

I have very limited knowledge in this field, but I am certain your guys don't need "formal training" if they are good at what they do already, wndsnb is now professional in hash board repair, I don't recall he took any courses, but he indeed is very talented in his field and was able to quickly learn how to deal with all that mess.

I got nothing against "special training" to speed things up, but I don't think that kind of training is available anywhere outside of China and maybe Russia, to send 2-3 guys it will cost a few tens of thousands of dollars, since you have the tools (judging by your current business) you can just buy a 1-2 working miners, and a few dead hash boards and get your guys to self-learn, the resources online are somehow limited, but they are there nonetheless.

legendary
February 10, 2022, 01:06:22 PM
I am new and trying to educate myself. I have owned a telecom equipment resell and test/repair business for over 20 years and have recently noticed that the ASIC machines are not unlike some of the boards, power supplies, fans etc. that are used in telecom industry. I am considering sending a couple of my technicians for formal training in ASIC repair to add to our list of services. What I have learned as a female business owner is to research fully, listen to your customer base and surround yourself with those smarter than yourself, which led me to this forum. So my question is, what is the demand for reliable repair facilities in the US?
Just do a few minutes browsing this support area and the hardware area and you will see that demand is very high mainly due to a certain miner manufacturer (Bitmain) having released several models that had horrid build quality.

These days a common fault with miners from any manufacturer is the PSU dying. Thankfully those are easier to diagnose and repair than hash boards are but there are very few companies in the world, much less the US, that will repair them. I would think that the main faults that happen are either the line-side input stages or the switching FET's blowing. The main 'gotcha' to servicing them is that they are programmable PSU's (I think using I2C, or possibly an analog control) so you have to be able to rig a micro controller to talk to them.
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
February 10, 2022, 10:49:20 AM
I am new and trying to educate myself. I have owned a telecom equipment resell and test/repair business for over 20 years and have recently noticed that the ASIC machines are not unlike some of the boards, power supplies, fans etc. that are used in telecom industry. I am considering sending a couple of my technicians for formal training in ASIC repair to add to our list of services. What I have learned as a female business owner is to research fully, listen to your customer base and surround yourself with those smarter than yourself, which led me to this forum. So my question is, what is the demand for reliable repair facilities in the US?
Activity: 27
February 03, 2022, 08:38:12 PM
I did use https://great-voyage-inc.myshopify.com/ for an S17 Pro power Supply repair (APW9) recently
They are legit. Getting a repair is kind of confusing. You create a repair request on their site and send in. Then email for confirmation. I also joined their telegram chat for more immediate questions.

I was however very disappointed in price. Half of it went dead, that is 2 of the 3 fans (as powered by one cord) stopped. Expected it to simply be an integrated fuse, but they of course did not say. They never advised of estimate to repair (I failed to ask ahead of time, too exited I finally found someone that would repair power supplies) and they only said done, total due $250 ($200 repair and $50 return shipping. It only cost me $14 to ship to them the via my UPS account.) However, as you can't find one for less than $350 now and days, I had to take it.

I may give them another chance for a hashboard repair as my regular company is 90 days out and they turned the power supply in about 3 weeks. Telegram chat suggests they are similarly fast on hashboards. But I will ask for price quote before repair

Good to hear they are legit. The repair process is weird as hell but whatever they are the only ones to answer my emails. Got 1 S17 and a S17Pro Hash board being repaired dropped off on Jan 25th. Do you as the owner of the telegram group about repair info? Ive joined and pm'd the owner waiting on response.
Activity: 34
Merit: 60
January 31, 2022, 10:05:29 PM
I did use https://great-voyage-inc.myshopify.com/ for an S17 Pro power Supply repair (APW9) recently
They are legit. Getting a repair is kind of confusing. You create a repair request on their site and send in. Then email for confirmation. I also joined their telegram chat for more immediate questions.

I was however very disappointed in price. Half of it went dead, that is 2 of the 3 fans (as powered by one cord) stopped. Expected it to simply be an integrated fuse, but they of course did not say. They never advised of estimate to repair (I failed to ask ahead of time, too exited I finally found someone that would repair power supplies) and they only said done, total due $250 ($200 repair and $50 return shipping. It only cost me $14 to ship to them the via my UPS account.) However, as you can't find one for less than $350 now and days, I had to take it.

I may give them another chance for a hashboard repair as my regular company is 90 days out and they turned the power supply in about 3 weeks. Telegram chat suggests they are similarly fast on hashboards. But I will ask for price quote before repair

Activity: 4
January 30, 2022, 03:09:58 PM
Activity: 27
December 28, 2021, 01:44:55 PM
Anyone use https://great-voyage-inc.myshopify.com/ ? I saw the ads posted on ebay for their service, figured it would be easier to use their site. But little to no instructions on how repairs are handled. From the google docs page it looks like you just send them the asic? Looking to get 3 S17 pro hash boards repaired.
Activity: 544
Merit: 589
December 21, 2021, 09:16:39 AM
The Bitmain authorized repair center in Nashua is advertising out-of-warranty hashboard repair on Ebay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154553760186?hash=item23fc1f39ba:g:wEUAAOSwWMFhmeZT

I'd imagine you could get a bit better of a deal if you contact them directly, since ebay charges >10% fee.

Pages:
Jump to: