Author

Topic: Why do Atheists Hate Religion? - page 248. (Read 901342 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1003
January 19, 2016, 09:57:35 AM

Because you're living on the same world than me... Which means your beliefs potentially have an impact (and may have a strong one) on me.

I understand that you are concerned about happiness: what impact of mine don't you like it?

"Replying to a question with another question is not an answer... is the best way to avoid a question."

No need to give new order... there is already one and it is written in the Bible.

Are you an atheist?

Best regards.

Once you were quite proud of your idea to murder all the atheists. Now you won't even own up to it. Have you changed your mind? Is the idea of murdering millions of people seeming a bit blood thirsty to you?

"Replying to a question with another question is not an answer... is the best way to avoid a question."

No need to give new order... there is already one and it is written in the Bible.

Are you an atheist?

JFY. Agnostic means someone who knows that something is out there and isn't denying it.

Atheists are the ones who deny gods and demons, but believe in spooky night stories.

Agnostic means somebody that knowing that the question "does God exists?" leads to a question of Faith prefer to avoid the question, or it does avoid questions on deities.

Here there is the Wikipedia defintion if that does makes you more comfortable:
"Agnosticism is the view that, the truth values of certain claims – especially metaphysical and religious claims such as whether God, the divine or the supernatural exist – are unknown and perhaps unknowable."
Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

I have no intention of avoiding the question, that is the reason cause I'm in this thread.

Best regards.
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
January 19, 2016, 09:49:11 AM

So everything in the Bible must be followed?

You are agnostic: you don't care.

Why are you asking?

Best regards.
JFY. Agnostic means someone who knows that something is out there and isn't denying it.

Atheists are the ones who deny gods and demons, but believe in spooky night stories.

I'm not quite sure that last part -- "believing in spooky night stories" -- is correct. Did you mean something else by that?
Activity: 134
Merit: 100
January 19, 2016, 09:46:03 AM

Why are you asking?

Best regards.

legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1251
January 19, 2016, 09:45:13 AM

Why are you asking?

Best regards.

Because you're living on the same world than me... Which means your beliefs potentially have an impact (and may have a strong one) on me.
donator
Poor impulse control.
January 19, 2016, 09:44:53 AM
Best regards.

Please stop editing our correspondence to make yourself look better.

Do you deny claiming that all atheists should be murdered?

Are you an atheist?

Best regards.

Once you were quite proud of your idea to murder all the atheists. Now you won't even own up to it. Have you changed your mind? Is the idea of murdering millions of people seeming a bit blood thirsty to you?
legendary
January 19, 2016, 09:30:03 AM

Why are you asking?

Best regards.
legendary
January 19, 2016, 09:26:51 AM

You're the one avoiding questions. I've been repeating the same question well before you went off on your tangent about needing amounts of things.

How about we answer the questions in the order they were made? I asked my question first. You answer mine, then I'll tell you how many things I need.

Are you an atheist?

Best regards.

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
January 19, 2016, 09:26:02 AM
Yep, he definitely said it.
legendary
January 19, 2016, 09:25:50 AM
Best regards.

Are you an atheist?

Best regards.
donator
Poor impulse control.
January 19, 2016, 09:22:22 AM
Best regards.

donator
Poor impulse control.
January 19, 2016, 09:20:44 AM
I see. Rather than a hateful act, it would be simply religiously justified cold blooded murder, and rather than hate speech he's encouraging crimes against humanity.

Is this typical of religions - to use gods to justify murder of a whole segment of their population?

I suppose it's a rhetorical question if you have the slightest knowledge of what happened in Europe only few centuries ago, or what's currently happening with islamist extremists in Europe  Grin

I was kind of hoping that someone would jump in, make some sort of comment like "well, us religious folk think atheists and other people who believe in a different god to us all deserve to die" and become hoist by their own petard (BitNow, I'm looking at you).
legendary
January 19, 2016, 09:18:04 AM

You're the one avoiding questions. I've been repeating the same question well before you went off on your tangent about needing amounts of things.

How about we answer the questions in the order they were made? I asked my question first. You answer mine, then I'll tell you how many things I need.

Are you an atheist?

Best regards.
donator
Poor impulse control.
January 19, 2016, 09:16:55 AM

We are talking about different things - the Universe having a purpose, and making your life have a purpose.

An atheist believes his or her life can have a purpose, while the universe does not have a purpose.

Since one's life is not identical to "the universe", it is possible for one's life to have purpose, but not ones universe.

Well, as I said, it would be the same thing in case one's life was the only one. Because if there is only one human in the universe, if the universe has no purpose then the purpose of the human is the only purpose in the whole universe. So it's rather identical to it being the purpose of the universe.

But with 7 billion souls in the world, it's another story...

Ha! I didn't think of that particular edge case Smiley
donator
Poor impulse control.
January 19, 2016, 09:14:12 AM

You don't need to say the word "hate" for it to be hate speech. Do you deny you think all atheists should be murdered?

That's a law: laws have no sentiment.

Best regards.

What law? I didn't mention laws, I just ask if you denied saying that all atheists should be murdered. Do you?

How many do you need?

Best regards.

What? Do you deny making posts claiming that all atheists should be murdered?

I asked you a question: "How many do you need?".

If you don't want to answer my question simply don't answer it, avoiding the question by making 2 new questions is throwing gasoline on a fire.

Best regards.

legendary
January 19, 2016, 08:34:01 AM

You don't need to say the word "hate" for it to be hate speech. Do you deny you think all atheists should be murdered?

Best regards.

What law? I didn't mention laws, I just ask if you denied saying that all atheists should be murdered. Do you?

How many do you need?

Best regards.

I asked you a question: "How many do you need?".

If you don't want to answer my question simply don't answer it, avoiding the question by making 2 new questions is throwing gasoline on a fire.

Best regards.
legendary
January 19, 2016, 07:45:16 AM

We are talking about different things - the Universe having a purpose, and making your life have a purpose.

An atheist believes his or her life can have a purpose, while the universe does not have a purpose.

Since one's life is not identical to "the universe", it is possible for one's life to have purpose, but not ones universe.

Well, as I said, it would be the same thing in case one's life was the only one. Because if there is only one human in the universe, if the universe has no purpose then the purpose of the human is the only purpose in the whole universe. So it's rather identical to it being the purpose of the universe.

But with 7 billion souls in the world, it's another story...
legendary
January 19, 2016, 07:43:01 AM
I see. Rather than a hateful act, it would be simply religiously justified cold blooded murder, and rather than hate speech he's encouraging crimes against humanity.

Is this typical of religions - to use gods to justify murder of a whole segment of their population?

I suppose it's a rhetorical question if you have the slightest knowledge of what happened in Europe only few centuries ago, or what's currently happening with islamist extremists in Europe  Grin
donator
Poor impulse control.
January 19, 2016, 07:35:10 AM
Don't bother Corti, he doesn't even realise that Zeus is the one true god.  How do you expect him to be able to read a dictionary?

It's no bother. As long as it's fun, I'll keep posting. As soon as I get bored, I'll stop.
donator
Poor impulse control.
January 19, 2016, 07:32:41 AM

Best regards.

How many do you need?

Best regards.

I may be wrong but I think he's saying that's a law of God, so that there is no hate in his speech, it's just that it is as it is. In his point of view, you can't even think about discussing a law written by God. So he doesn't hate atheists, but they should all be killed.

donator
Poor impulse control.
January 19, 2016, 07:28:03 AM

Purpose indicate a meaning an objective that a group of people have in regarding to something (deity, money, health, other...).

Atheists don't believe in God but they don't have a faith: so the word purpose has no meaning to them.

You know that. I know that. Try explaining that to BADecker.

Look, even if atheist all thought that the universe doesn't have a purpose - not all of them think this way -

Yes, they do. If the universe has a purpose it must have a creator. If you believe in a creator, you're not atheist.

Does an atheist do anything in the universe? Does an atheist dream? Does he make plans? Does he use the things of the universe? For him the universe has a purpose. If it didn't, he would go off and commit suicide out of despair. If he didn't commit suicide out of despair, and the universe didn't have a purpose for him - at least in his own mind - he would have to be a vegetable.

An atheist views himself as god, although he may not recognize that he is doing so. Since he doesn't know much about himself - the way-down-deep human self that he is - yet he believes that he knows, he has a personal religion going.

Smiley

Jump to: