Author

Topic: Why do Atheists Hate Religion? - page 252. (Read 901342 times)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
January 18, 2016, 10:31:15 AM
Calm down Mussolini!   Roll Eyes

Ask your mate the pope, he might know a few things wrong with it.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1003
January 18, 2016, 09:10:06 AM
Atheism is a capital sin.
Not have an imaginary friend is worthy of death?   Most atheists dont hate religion, but that sort of attitude would certainly swing a few people.

Don't call sinners people call them sinners and they will start to search for redemption.

Best regards.

You dehumanise a portion of the population that doesn't agree with you? Hmmm, where have I seen that attitude lead to genocide before? Oh yes, every time.

What's wrong with holocaust?

Best regards.
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
January 18, 2016, 05:29:14 AM
Not have an imaginary friend is worthy of death?   Most atheists dont hate religion, but that sort of attitude would certainly swing a few people.

Don't call sinners people call them sinners and they will start to search for redemption.

Best regards.

You dehumanise a portion of the population that doesn't agree with you? Hmmm, where have I seen that attitude lead to genocide before? Oh yes, every time.
donator
Poor impulse control.
January 18, 2016, 05:27:41 AM

Ah thanks. BADecker's comment at least makes sense now, and even easier to dismiss. I myself become quite flatulent in extreme situations, but it doesn't mean I worship flatulence as a god.

Worshipping a thing is idolatry.
Thou shalt have no other gods before me
- Ex 20:3 (1st Commandement)

I wrote "it doesn't mean I worship flatulence as a god". That means I don't worship flatulence as a god.
legendary
January 18, 2016, 04:10:13 AM

Ah thanks. BADecker's comment at least makes sense now, and even easier to dismiss. I myself become quite flatulent in extreme situations, but it doesn't mean I worship flatulence as a god.

Worshipping a thing is idolatry.
Thou shalt have no other gods before me
- Ex 20:3 (1st Commandement)

Best regards.
donator
Poor impulse control.
January 18, 2016, 12:58:53 AM
^ that was the old there are no atheists in foxholes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_are_no_atheists_in_foxholes it's false of course. But good luck explaining that to him. Or explaining that like the study in the wiki page says, people in extreme situations may not behave as rationally as someone in normal situations. Doesn't mean they become religious. Only that they will say or do anything because they are desperate.

legendary
Activity: 1135
Merit: 1001
January 18, 2016, 12:29:09 AM
^ that was the old there are no atheists in foxholes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_are_no_atheists_in_foxholes it's false of course. But good luck explaining that to him. Or explaining that like the study in the wiki page says, people in extreme situations may not behave as rationally as someone in normal situations. Doesn't mean they become religious. Only that they will say or do anything because they are desperate.
donator
Poor impulse control.
January 17, 2016, 11:24:59 PM
At times of immense joy, or great fear and pain, the atheists realize that there is a God.

Smiley

You provide no proof for this assertion. Have you ever been an atheist and had this experience yourself?

I know many atheists who have experienced immense joy, great fear or pain, and none of them realized there was a god during this time.

Since you phrased your statement as an absolute, even one counter example is sufficient to disprove it, and so I can only conclude you made it up because it sounded good to you.
donator
Poor impulse control.
January 17, 2016, 11:21:50 PM
Because of this, we can rightfully say that religion means, simply:
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe.
What is interesting is that atheists are full of such beliefs in science theory, which has not been proven to be fact. Thus, atheism is definitely a religion.

Smiley

Your statement is that religion is a set of beliefs concerning the cause AND nature AND purpose of the universe. Logically if any of these are not true, the statement as a whole is not true.

Atheists do not posit a "purpose" to the universe (read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleology).

Therefore your statement as a whole is not true, and atheism cannot be considered a religion by that definition.

Actually, the truth doesn't have anything to do with what atheists posit. Since for many atheists, religion is something that they are against for themselves, they simply have a religion of non-religion. I admire how faithful many of them are, that they would continue with their religion of non-religion when all the while they are being shown that they have a religion. Their choice, I guess.

Smiley

You just ignored everything I wrote there, so let me bring you back to the conversation.

1. You state:

2. I explained that atheists have no beliefs concerning the purpose of the universe.

3. Therefore your simple definition does not apply to atheists.

Are you changing your simple definition or will you ignore a logical argument?
January 17, 2016, 11:05:36 PM
Yes and Christians know that deep down the one true god is Zeus...  During times of fear or heart-break they always go over to Zeus. 
There are Christians burning in lakes of fire who refused to acknowledge Zeus!
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
January 17, 2016, 10:49:07 PM
atheism
ˈeɪθɪɪz(ə)m/
noun
noun: atheism

disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.
    synonyms:   non-belief, non-theism, disbelief, unbelief, scepticism, doubt,

Thank you Google.

Atheists are people who are living in reasonable peace... even the ones who have trouble and pain. They have convinced themselves that there is no God, in spite of the fact that down deep they know that there is a God. Atheists lie to themselves more than anyone else.

At times of immense joy, or great fear and pain, the atheists realize that there is a God.

Smiley
legendary
January 17, 2016, 10:44:22 PM

Right at the moment, I am not interested in understanding the word. Thus, I am not sure if I can agree on the methodology.

Smiley

You are not interested in understanding the word...

Strange behaviour for a person that claim to put all atheist under the same word (Religion) he's not interested in understanding.

Best regards.

I was referring to "religio." I am not interested in getting into Latin right now.

If atheism is a capital sin, why are there still many atheists alive in the world? I mean, if atheism were a capital sin, atheists would have died the moment they stepped into atheism.

There are former atheists who turned to God and to salvation in Jesus Christ years ago. They truly were atheists in the past. But now they are Christians... God believers. Should they still be executed because of their former atheism? I mean, their former atheism was real. It sits in the timeline. There is no way to erase it from time. It is done. It may be an embarrassment and a shame for them now, but they can't undo it. Should these Christians and God-fearing people be executed because of their former atheism which was real?

There is only one thing that can keep a person from death. It is believing in Jesus Christ for salvation. Believers in Jesus will be raised to everlasting life at the last day. Non-believers will be raised to eternal destruction. That's it. Period.

Do you believe in Jesus for salvation? If not, you are committing a worse sin than the atheism of repentant, former atheists.

Smiley
legendary
January 17, 2016, 10:34:39 PM
Part of a meaning is not the entire meaning. Unless there's a god or supernatural beliefs involved, your definition of religion is only part the usual definitions of religion. Therefore you aren't using the word the way it is usually defined.

If you say, "For the purposes of our discussion here, 'religion' shall mean such and such, and 'atheism' shall mean this and that," then you are absolutely correct, but ONLY if you can get an agreement from forum members to use your definitions.

That isn't what we have been doing in this discussion, although you might be trying to sneak in a quasi-agreement among forum members regarding definitions that you prefer. Rather, we have, in general, been using words according to their dictionary definitions.

With regard to the dictionary definition of "religion," "atheism" fits the meaning of the word "religion." And it doesn't only fit it regarding the part that says:
something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience:
to make a religion of fighting prejudice
but it also fits, to some extent, the major part that says:
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs
which is the main definition.

Notice the portion of this main definition that says, "... when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies." This portion is preceded by the word "especially," denoting that the definition, also, stands without some kind of supreme being included.

Notice that portions following the "superhuman" part use the words "usually" and "often," denoting that the definition can stand without the portions that "usually" and "often" are referring to.

You're appealing to authority, and then you cherry-pick the meaning you want. There are many suggested definitions given by each authority, some contradictory. What makes your definition the most representative?

Nevermind, I can't change your attitude on this point and since they are all based on an appeal to authority there's no logical argument to be made.
You write the language reasonably well. Did you make it up that way, or did you appeal to authority to figure out how to use it?

You mention that "there are many suggested definitions..." You also suggest that I am cherry picking. if I were able, and if they allowed me to print all the definitions, complete, in Bitcointalk, would you even be willing to read them... all? (chuckle)

According to the simple definitions of the online dictionary that I sited, atheism is a religion.

What is interesting is that atheists are full of such beliefs in science theory, which has not been proven to be fact. Thus, atheism is definitely a religion.

Smiley

Your statement is that religion is a set of beliefs concerning the cause AND nature AND purpose of the universe. Logically if any of these are not true, the statement as a whole is not true.

Atheists do not posit a "purpose" to the universe (read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleology).

Therefore your statement as a whole is not true, and atheism cannot be considered a religion by that definition.

Actually, the truth doesn't have anything to do with what atheists posit. Since for many atheists, religion is something that they are against for themselves, they simply have a religion of non-religion. I admire how faithful many of them are, that they would continue with their religion of non-religion when all the while they are being shown that they have a religion. Their choice, I guess.

Smiley
January 17, 2016, 10:20:25 PM
atheism
ˈeɪθɪɪz(ə)m/
noun
noun: atheism

disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.
    synonyms:   non-belief, non-theism, disbelief, unbelief, scepticism, doubt,

Thank you Google.
donator
Poor impulse control.
January 17, 2016, 09:46:35 PM
Part of a meaning is not the entire meaning. Unless there's a god or supernatural beliefs involved, your definition of religion is only part the usual definitions of religion. Therefore you aren't using the word the way it is usually defined.

If you say, "For the purposes of our discussion here, 'religion' shall mean such and such, and 'atheism' shall mean this and that," then you are absolutely correct, but ONLY if you can get an agreement from forum members to use your definitions.

That isn't what we have been doing in this discussion, although you might be trying to sneak in a quasi-agreement among forum members regarding definitions that you prefer. Rather, we have, in general, been using words according to their dictionary definitions.

With regard to the dictionary definition of "religion," "atheism" fits the meaning of the word "religion." And it doesn't only fit it regarding the part that says:
something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience:
to make a religion of fighting prejudice
but it also fits, to some extent, the major part that says:
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs
which is the main definition.

Notice the portion of this main definition that says, "... when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies." This portion is preceded by the word "especially," denoting that the definition, also, stands without some kind of supreme being included.

Notice that portions following the "superhuman" part use the words "usually" and "often," denoting that the definition can stand without the portions that "usually" and "often" are referring to.

You're appealing to authority, and then you cherry-pick the meaning you want. There are many suggested definitions given by each authority, some contradictory. What makes your definition the most representative?

Nevermind, I can't change your attitude on this point and since they are all based on an appeal to authority there's no logical argument to be made.

Smiley

January 17, 2016, 09:17:21 PM
Not have an imaginary friend is worthy of death?   Most atheists dont hate religion, but that sort of attitude would certainly swing a few people.
legendary
January 17, 2016, 09:02:49 PM

Right at the moment, I am not interested in understanding the word. Thus, I am not sure if I can agree on the methodology.

Smiley

You are not interested in understanding the word...

Strange behaviour for a person that claim to put all atheist under the same word (Religion) he's not interested in understanding.

Best regards.
January 17, 2016, 07:38:06 PM
Oh sorry, I was mistaken... I thought you had started the thread!
legendary
January 17, 2016, 07:30:38 PM
Probably what we can agree on is that for whatever reason we can't agree, this isnt a discussion thread, it is an argument thread, started by a troll.

Can you make it a better discussion thread by explaining how you know that legendster is a troll?

Smiley
legendary
January 17, 2016, 07:28:00 PM
Whatever the word "religio" means or meant at one time, it has no meaning in English now.

Look up the dictionary definition of religion. From that, you will be able to see that atheism is a religion.

Smiley
Jump to: