Author

Topic: Why do Atheists Hate Religion? - page 398. (Read 901341 times)

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
July 08, 2015, 11:52:56 AM
With all due respect -- and I say that because I know from your posts you do value intellectual honesty -- you have no basis to say there is no "need" for God or an Intelligent Designer.  

Simply because we can speculate on numerous possible theories and hypotheses which could be used to explain processes we have yet to more accurately observe and measure, none of which would require an omnipotent, omniscient super-being.

Sentence fragment.  "Simply because [what you said afterwards]," then what?  I'm not getting on your case for a typo.  I'll assume the 'then what' is what follows in your next sentence.

I meant the "Simply because . . ." on the basis of an answer to your rebuttal concerning my assertion that there is no 'need' for a 'God' to explain how our Universe works. Try reading it as though I were answering to you as though you had said, "Why do you believe your assertion to be true". Perhaps I didn't phrase it clearly enough in that sense and so you read it as the lead-in to an assertion, as opposed to the clarification of a previous answer.

Ah, I see Smiley

So, on the basis that explanations exist which do not require an omnipotent, omniscient super-being, they are by default *more likely* to be correct as they do not invoke infinitely more complex elements, namely, god(s).

This is incorrect, aside from the fact that it says virtually nothing.  When I say it is "incorrect," I mean that it is actually you, here, who is introducing unnecessary assumptions.  You are assuming that it is "more likely" correct that an omnipotent God is not the missing explanatory element, which itself is likely based upon another, unspoken -- and more fundamental -- assumption that there is no means of determining whether an omnipotent God is necessary or not.  If there is a means to determine whether or not God must exist by necessity, then we would also have a means of making such a determination in the absence of any assumption.

And when I say that "it says virtually nothing," I'm speaking to the obvious fact that no explanation/theory includes that which is outside of its own scope.  You're essentially saying something along the lines of, "A theory can be assumed to be more correct because of that which it can't account for."  It might not seem to you like this is what you are saying, but in the absence of any knowledge about whether there is actually a means for accounting for what is beyond current explanation, then it is indeed what you are implying.

I am applying Occam's razor in determining, in that it is possible for us to hypothesize explanations for Universal characteristics which are drawn from already-proven scientific theory, possible answers to questions about our Universe which have yet to be more definitely proven through multiple-disciplinary scientific observation and measurement. If we can propose answers which are at least based on what we know, as opposed to answers based on spurious and wildly speculative arbitrary claims towards entities derived solely from human imagination for which there exists no quantifiable characteristic, ergo far more complex given that non-quantifiable characteristics of an entity require the introduction of a whole new realm of supposition outside of known Universal laws, then we are more likely to be introducing elements which are closer to defining the true characteristics of the thing we are seeking to understand.

I'll get to this at the end of reply.  As a primer, let's just say that there are philosophical and logical reasons which provide a basis for the fact that invoking God as I do is not a spurious, wildy speculative claim.

On one hand, a telescope can provide us with data that lends to the extrapolation of an expanding universe from a single point in space; on the other hand, the fact that we observe galaxies in similar stages of development equidistant to our relative locality (i.e. to our right, we see galaxies at age x and at distance y, but we also see this if we look left, up, down, etc.) seems to suggest that we are always at the center of the Universe.  Empirical methods have no means of resolving empirical paradoxes, and it is only by deferring to abstract methods such as logic and mathematics that we can possibly resolve these paradoxes.

You are basing your argument on scientific limitation through technological measurement on a single-point of data, namely, a telescope, which you already know to be insufficient a reliable empirical observation, yet you show you are more than aware of the multi-disciplined nature of accepted scientific theory by mentioning the need for objective reasoning through logic and, of course, the use of mathematics. But in citing how erroneously interpreted a measurement can be from the objective data gathered from a single piece of technology, you are ignoring the fact that all accepted scientific theory is based on numerous technological tools, as well as logic and maths.

We don't have to rely on our faulty perceptions and we don't need to imagine ourselves an omnipotent super-being as a reasonable answer to anything because said super-being would be infinitely more complex as it would need to exist outside of Universal natural law.

But without knowing 'all that we can know,' we 1) can't assume God does or does not exist, and 2) can't assume that exploring the issue and possibly arriving at a conclusion won't yield practical value that is currently unknown to us.

That sounds to me like a plea for science to stop being so unaccommodating to the idea of a God! Trouble is, you want the 'issue' explored and, let's be honest here, science is more than willing to explore anything and everything that it is reasonable to study, but as we have covered long-previously, you cannot define any element of this 'God' because, by its very nature, it is supposedly beyond our Universe. So how can we study something for which exists no definable characteristic other than the claimed omnipotence, omniscience and omnipresence? The only way to study for something like that is to go all 'god of the gaps' which I'm sure you're not willing to accept as a reasonable position because it essentially says if we don't have an answer yet for what goes in that gap in our understanding, then God.[/quote]

This also ties in with my "primer."  For simplicity, I'll reserve my full reply until the end.

Edit:  The most intellectually dishonest point you make is even saying things like "philosophical gymnastics" to begin with.  Absolutely all knowledge is predicated upon logic and Philosophy.  Hearing you talk like this is like hearing BADdecker refer to the theories of science as "science fiction."  A logical explanation, equal-to or greater in scope, trumps a scientific explanation 100% of the time, all the time, every time.

LOL, ok fair point. I know how much you love yourself plenty of philosophy. I'm just saying that you appear too ready to use broad philosophical brushstrokes to claim, "Hey, there could be a God", while ignoring the practical realities of what that actually translates to in terms of the difference between there being a invisible incorporeal floating dragon in your garage or something that you've probably just imagined up as being possibly there.

[/quote]

Okay, here we go.  Finally there Smiley

The problem here is two-fold:

First, it's a false-analogy to liken an omnipotent god to some imaginary dragon, even if you ascribe the imaginary dragon to be omnipotent.  This is where logic weighs in on things and can catch subtle distinctions which make a world of difference.  Instead of an imaginary dragon, let's use the well-know examples of the Flying Spaghetti Monster or Russel's Teapot.  Again, for simplicity, let's just focus on the FSM.

Specifically, the problem is that the FSM, even if omnipotent, is a false analogy.  This is because the identifying characteristics (i.e. what constitutes its identity) of an omnipotent god is its omnipotence, whereas for the FSM it is both omnipotence and the topological characteristics of being a monster made of spaghetti who flies, i.e. its physical constraints.  So, an omnipotent god, or ID for "intelligent designer," is defined in terms of a total lack of constraint, whereas the FSM is defined in terms of both constraint and a total lack of constraint.

This is critically important because it means one cannot be the other.  If an ID omnipotently assumes a level of topological constraint, it does not lose any aspect of its identity because it remains omnipotent and thus is still equal to itself.  However, if an FSM omnipotently changes its topological constraints, e.g. it becomes a teapot or a dragon, then its core identity is changed and is no longer equal to itself.  An FSM who becomes a teapot is no longer an FSM no matter how omnipotent it is.

Second, and stemming from this first point, we must then concede that if an ID exists, it falls totally outside of observation and empiricism, and is therefore a priori untouchable by empirical science.  Therefore, Occam's Razor, which only applies to empirical phenomena, is irrelevant.  What then matters is whether an ID is implied by logical necessity, and the method of exploration required to determine this is in no way based upon observation of empirical events.  There needn't be any assumption of a "God-of-the-gaps" if you can determine what is logically necessary at a fundamental level, and at a 100% level of tautological confidence.
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
July 08, 2015, 11:41:48 AM
I like science fiction stories, as well. I simply never wrapped myself up in it so deeply that it became a part of my life.
I wasn't talking about science fiction.

http://cfpm.org/jom-emit/overview.html

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=memes+anthropology&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C16

Now you tell me!    Huh
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
July 08, 2015, 11:28:06 AM
I like science fiction stories, as well. I simply never wrapped myself up in it so deeply that it became a part of my life.
I wasn't talking about science fiction.

http://cfpm.org/jom-emit/overview.html

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=memes+anthropology&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C16
legendary
July 08, 2015, 11:26:45 AM
Some neurolinguistics experts classify religion as a language virus, which short-circuits critical thinking pathways in the brain. Exhibit A:

If science only involved the scientific method and the things that are absolutely proven as fact, then the bolded statement, above, might approach truth. But since science includes many theories that are almost comical in their absurdity, and since science often maintains itself on pure probability (quantum mechanics and quantum math) rather than anything factual, science, itself, is fraught with faith throughout. The problem with the faith of science is, science won't even recognize that it is God that it is basing its faith on. Because of this, it is science that is acting on blind faith more than any formal religion could ever think to.

Smiley
July 08, 2015, 11:20:15 AM
Some neurolinguistics experts classify religion as a language virus, which short-circuits critical thinking pathways in the brain. Exhibit A:

If science only involved the scientific method and the things that are absolutely proven as fact, then the bolded statement, above, might approach truth. But since science includes many theories that are almost comical in their absurdity, and since science often maintains itself on pure probability (quantum mechanics and quantum math) rather than anything factual, science, itself, is fraught with faith throughout. The problem with the faith of science is, science won't even recognize that it is God that it is basing its faith on. Because of this, it is science that is acting on blind faith more than any formal religion could ever think to.
legendary
July 08, 2015, 11:07:04 AM
Well, because they are apostates from the faith, renounced the faith because they were otherwise persuaded not to believe in anything, and annoy everyone who opposes them, and those who have their faith or religion annoys them.
1. Not all atheists were ever faithful to begin with, ergo only some atheists are apostates from "the" faith. This may come as a shock to you, but there are atheist/agnostic parents raising children.

2. There are many different faiths, not just one. Science rejects all faith equally and without discrimination. Science demands observation and measurement.

This is so funny. Why? Because it is so hypocritical.

Smiley
July 08, 2015, 10:54:24 AM
Well, because they are apostates from the faith, renounced the faith because they were otherwise persuaded not to believe in anything, and annoy everyone who opposes them, and those who have their faith or religion annoys them.
1. Not all atheists were ever faithful to begin with, ergo only some atheists are apostates from "the" faith. This may come as a shock to you, but there are atheist/agnostic parents raising children.

2. There are many different faiths (cults of makebelieve), not just yours. Science rejects all faith equally and without discrimination. Science demands evidence - observation and measurement.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
July 08, 2015, 10:49:15 AM
So I see 2 threads of why islam hates people or why people hate Islam. I dont see the point of such a mundane debate based on religion any debate for or against religion would be stupid. Either you are stupid to believe what a prophet / god / divine entity said or you are stupid enough to believe you can change the minds of the bleak minded people who follow such a prophet / god / divine entity.

But since its fun let me initiate my own brand of 'why do' topic.

WHY DO ATHEISTS (like me) HATE RELIGION ?

Seriously what has to happen in a person's life for them to seriously give up hope on the one true everlasting brand (of religion) which their ancestors have followed for generations.

Everyone has their own story even I have mine, so lets hear some of it.

legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 1254
Thread-puller extraordinaire
July 08, 2015, 10:44:38 AM
With all due respect -- and I say that because I know from your posts you do value intellectual honesty -- you have no basis to say there is no "need" for God or an Intelligent Designer.  

Simply because we can speculate on numerous possible theories and hypotheses which could be used to explain processes we have yet to more accurately observe and measure, none of which would require an omnipotent, omniscient super-being.

Sentence fragment.  "Simply because [what you said afterwards]," then what?  I'm not getting on your case for a typo.  I'll assume the 'then what' is what follows in your next sentence.

I meant the "Simply because . . ." on the basis of an answer to your rebuttal concerning my assertion that there is no 'need' for a 'God' to explain how our Universe works. Try reading it as though I were answering to you as though you had said, "Why do you believe your assertion to be true". Perhaps I didn't phrase it clearly enough in that sense and so you read it as the lead-in to an assertion, as opposed to the clarification of a previous answer.

So, on the basis that explanations exist which do not require an omnipotent, omniscient super-being, they are by default *more likely* to be correct as they do not invoke infinitely more complex elements, namely, god(s).

This is incorrect, aside from the fact that it says virtually nothing.  When I say it is "incorrect," I mean that it is actually you, here, who is introducing unnecessary assumptions.  You are assuming that it is "more likely" correct that an omnipotent God is not the missing explanatory element, which itself is likely based upon another, unspoken -- and more fundamental -- assumption that there is no means of determining whether an omnipotent God is necessary or not.  If there is a means to determine whether or not God must exist by necessity, then we would also have a means of making such a determination in the absence of any assumption.

And when I say that "it says virtually nothing," I'm speaking to the obvious fact that no explanation/theory includes that which is outside of its own scope.  You're essentially saying something along the lines of, "A theory can be assumed to be more correct because of that which it can't account for."  It might not seem to you like this is what you are saying, but in the absence of any knowledge about whether there is actually a means for accounting for what is beyond current explanation, then it is indeed what you are implying.

I am applying Occam's razor in determining, in that it is possible for us to hypothesize explanations for Universal characteristics which are drawn from already-proven scientific theory, possible answers to questions about our Universe which have yet to be more definitely proven through multiple-disciplinary scientific observation and measurement. If we can propose answers which are at least based on what we know, as opposed to answers based on spurious and wildly speculative arbitrary claims towards entities derived solely from human imagination for which there exists no quantifiable characteristic, ergo far more complex given that non-quantifiable characteristics of an entity require the introduction of a whole new realm of supposition outside of known Universal laws, then we are more likely to be introducing elements which are closer to defining the true characteristics of the thing we are seeking to understand.

On one hand, a telescope can provide us with data that lends to the extrapolation of an expanding universe from a single point in space; on the other hand, the fact that we observe galaxies in similar stages of development equidistant to our relative locality (i.e. to our right, we see galaxies at age x and at distance y, but we also see this if we look left, up, down, etc.) seems to suggest that we are always at the center of the Universe.  Empirical methods have no means of resolving empirical paradoxes, and it is only by deferring to abstract methods such as logic and mathematics that we can possibly resolve these paradoxes.

You are basing your argument on scientific limitation through technological measurement on a single-point of data, namely, a telescope, which you already know to be insufficient a reliable empirical observation, yet you show you are more than aware of the multi-disciplined nature of accepted scientific theory by mentioning the need for objective reasoning through logic and, of course, the use of mathematics. But in citing how erroneously interpreted a measurement can be from the objective data gathered from a single piece of technology, you are ignoring the fact that all accepted scientific theory is based on numerous technological tools, as well as logic and maths.

We don't have to rely on our faulty perceptions and we don't need to imagine ourselves an omnipotent super-being as a reasonable answer to anything because said super-being would be infinitely more complex as it would need to exist outside of Universal natural law.

But without knowing 'all that we can know,' we 1) can't assume God does or does not exist, and 2) can't assume that exploring the issue and possibly arriving at a conclusion won't yield practical value that is currently unknown to us.

That sounds to me like a plea for science to stop being so unaccommodating to the idea of a God! Trouble is, you want the 'issue' explored and, let's be honest here, science is more than willing to explore anything and everything that it is reasonable to study, but as we have covered long-previously, you cannot define any element of this 'God' because, by its very nature, it is supposedly beyond our Universe. So how can we study something for which exists no definable characteristic other than the claimed omnipotence, omniscience and omnipresence? The only way to study for something like that is to go all 'god of the gaps' which I'm sure you're not willing to accept as a reasonable position because it essentially says if we don't have an answer yet for what goes in that gap in our understanding, then God.

Edit:  The most intellectually dishonest point you make is even saying things like "philosophical gymnastics" to begin with.  Absolutely all knowledge is predicated upon logic and Philosophy.  Hearing you talk like this is like hearing BADdecker refer to the theories of science as "science fiction."  A logical explanation, equal-to or greater in scope, trumps a scientific explanation 100% of the time, all the time, every time.

LOL, ok fair point. I know how much you love yourself plenty of philosophy. I'm just saying that you appear too ready to use broad philosophical brushstrokes to claim, "Hey, there could be a God", while ignoring the practical realities of what that actually translates to in terms of the difference between there being a invisible incorporeal floating dragon in your garage or something that you've probably just imagined up as being possibly there.

July 04, 2015, 04:12:47 PM
There have always been groups of peaceful people and groups of violent people. Check history. Nothing has changed.
I checked, expert consensus is that the Printing Press (=dawn of mass literacy) and advent of gunpowder changed everything, destroyed the Divine Right of Kings and gutted the power of the Church. The rise of the modern nation state resulted from this political turmoil.

And now with the internet we're back again to the beginning of the great Cycle of Social Change.
legendary
July 04, 2015, 10:48:49 AM
Are you hurting so badly that your pain makes you take the good that I say, twist it out of context, and turn it into something bad? You really need to seek help for your emotional pains.

The new high priests are the scientists who lie through their teeth about the truth of the theories. There is no truth to the theories. The only truth is what is factual.
If you truly believe this, you're a hypocrite unless you get off that computer and start living without all the evil false-technology science has provided you, like the Amish do. Use only technology before the scientific method (~pre 1600).
Notice, I said "what is factual." Among the facts of science, there is theory, that which is not fact, that which is science fiction. Some scientists and politicians have promoted some of the science fiction with words that cause people to draw the conclusion that they are saying that it is fact.

So, here you are. Lying about what I say, twisting my wording into something it is not, just to bring your own, painful life out into the open. Get help for yourself. Start by reading the Gospels in the New Testament.

"Let's see. People were sooooo different back 2,000 years ago.
Western people were very different, ethically speaking. If you want some insight on this, compare life in Middle East today to life in modern France,  or just go watch Game of Thrones for a bit, or just read your own fucking Bible.

Back then, virtually everyone was religious, and there were no scientists. What was life like? People were torturing, enslaving, raping and burning each other alive regularly, as in these activities were relatively commonplace.

We don't let theists get away with that shit in the civilized parts of the world anymore. This is because reason slowly compels ethics toward total compassion, and has been doing so for 2,000 years.

People were not very different a mere 2,000 years ago. They all needed air to breathe, water to drink, food to eat, clothing and shelter, just like today.

Compassion is fake without God. Atlantis was destroyed by the great flood of Noah's day, simply because the people were becoming less and less compassionate, especially in the fact that they didn't have any compassion for the God Who created them, but rather, turned their backs on Him. It is similar today.

There have always been groups of peaceful people and groups of violent people. Check history. Nothing has changed.

Since compassion is available today as you have said, find some compassionate psychologist to help you fix your mental anguish.

Smiley
July 04, 2015, 10:02:15 AM
The new high priests are the scientists who lie through their teeth about the truth of the theories. There is no truth to the theories. The only truth is what is factual.
If you truly believe this, you're a hypocrite unless you get off that computer and start living without all the evil false-technology science has provided you, like the Amish do. Use only technology before the scientific method (~pre 1600).

"Let's see. People were sooooo different back 2,000 years ago.
Western people were very different, ethically speaking. If you want some insight on this, compare life in Middle East today to life in modern France,  or just go watch Game of Thrones for a bit, or just read your own fucking Bible.

Back then, virtually everyone was religious, and there were no scientists. Under 10% of the population was literate. What was life like? People were torturing, enslaving, raping and burning each other alive regularly, as in these activities were relatively commonplace.

We don't let theists get away with that shit in the civilized parts of the world anymore. This is because reason slowly compels ethics toward total compassion, and has been doing so for 2,000 years.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
July 04, 2015, 01:46:23 AM
Demons trying to get people to sin and worship false gods.

Can your compile us a list of all these false Gods please? I want to be sure to avoid them.
Please answer in your own words and directly as possible. Thanks.

Anyone or anything that is not the true God of the bible /Jesus should not be worshiped or placed in higher respect than God/Jesus.

How have you come to that conclusion? Give me an example; let's say the Islamic God Allah. How have you concluded this one is false?

Because I believe Jesus Christ is the savior.

Yeah see you didn't really answer the question, you just gave us your opinion. Just because xyz is comforting, doesn't imply xyz is true.
To be fair I knew you would never answer it because I asked an impossible question. Nobody can possible know if that particular God is false or not.
Good reason why I steer clear of the whole mess.

No. I answered the question completely. You just want proof.

I'm sure atheists will love this answer, but I have proof. Those with hardened hearts will never see proof enough to believe in God though. Christians are not supposed to bother trying to explain or prove His existence to someone who will never believe. Atheists will say they will, but it will never happen. You'll say that's convenient.

Well, it's not, it would be easier to just lay it all out and have you believe. But it's not the way God set up the world. And my proof is my proof, and subjective, nothing you can't say was just a figment of my imagination and easily explainable. But I know it's true.

It's all rather "school yard" all this. I mean why make a big fanfare announcement claiming proof, then when asked to show it (which you wanted people to do anyway, or else why announce it?), reply "not telling".

What you gonna do next, throw my school bag on the roof for not subscribing to your God club?

I don't want to speak for someone else, but I have a few questions and thoughts:

1)  What kind of proof are you looking for?

He mentioned his proof is subjective.  If it's 110 degrees outside and I tell you that it's cold outside because I happen to feel cold, how can I prove this to you?  A thermometer won't cut it except saying that 110 degree is cooler than, say, a paper fire.  Do you allow any room for experiential proof?  It would certainly be valid to say that my feeling and knowledge of being cold is experiential proof despite my inability to prove this to you or anyone else.

2) Do you generally believe proof must be empirical proof?

3a) If so, what place do you think logical or mathematical proofs have in rational discourse?

3b) Also, if so, by what means could one falsify the belief, or prove to the contrary, that empirical proof is not the only kind that matters?

1)
Objective evidence/proof as she made a claim that required objective evidence/proof.  I asked why she thinks her religion of Christianity was true and Islam was false, which is what she implied by saying only the bible God should be worshipped. I think she got confused with the question and thought I just asked for proof of God, which I didn't.
Claiming Islam is incorrect with just subjective proof is silly, because Islam claims their religion is correct with objective evidence. (They also believe subjectively as well of course.) No need to go into detail but it goes along the lines of the Quran says this that and the other and the bible says this so the Quran must be only correct one, and so forth. This is objective, you agree? And surely objective proof/evidence must always trump subjective proof/evidence.
She failed to put any objective evidence/proof on the table, thus failed to answer my question.

I'm sure your going to tell me I've got it all wrong now. I know my limits, I'm not arguing with you, you'll blow me out of the water. LOL.

2)
Believe it or not I regularly go back over your post history to read what you've written, even on threads I've never posted in. In fact, your in my top 5 of posters I like reading.
I admit some of your stuff is too heavy for me and goes way over my head, but I do try.

Anyway I am paying attention to what you say, so yes there is logical proof as well.

1)  Yes, I can see where your original question was confused a bit, with some misunderstanding to follow.  That being said, it is possible -- and I believe it is the case, though I will save the reasoning for now -- that an "objective" God imparts His essence into every individual, but that this essence can be expressed with variation.  Accordingly (again, saving explanation), it is possible for Jesus to be the only savior of one person, for Allah to be the only savior of another, etc.  Consequetly, one who says that Jesus is the only way may be very much correct, and as correct as another who says that Allah is the only way.  There is a way to model this in a way that is consistent with the other ideas I have mentioned throughout this thread and others.

2). Thank you! Smiley That's really very humbling to read.  I'm well aware of my aggressive, often-contrarian style of debate which can be intriguing to some and off-putting to others.  I typically don't often respond to posts or ideas I fully agree with because I question how useful it really is to do so.  I'm pleased to know you find value in my posts!
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
July 04, 2015, 01:15:50 AM
It has nothing to do with them being theist. (people can hate homosexuality if they're atheist too)
Yes, and the Large Hadron Collider could create a black hole that swallows Earth, but these two scenarios are extreme improbabilities. I understand you don't see the distinction between possibility and probability, but scientists tend to discount extreme improbabilities when forming analysis or offering guidance. Science regards all matters with doubt by default, and even much of Old science has been debunked by New Science. it is only the Strongly Evidenced ideas that break out of Doubt's gravity well and reach Living Theory outer space.

This is why science is cumulatively providing a more and more accurate description of the universe, and why technology has been evolving so rapidly since the dawn of modern Reason. Meanwhile religion keeps offering the same shitty old Bronze Age assumptions for 2,000 years straight.

You wrote, "Theist ignorant hatred is the reason gay teenage americans are three times more likely to commit suicide than straight ones."

I said it has nothing to do with them being theist. Just like the saying, "guns don't kill people, people kill people," "being Christian doesn't make one hate, people make people hate, and people hurt people." The angry and bigoted people in the world are not ALL religious.

You spent way too much time on that post. Probability doesn't matter. You act like all Christians hate people. That's the opposite message of Christianity. You tend to spend too much time in the all or nothing frame of mind, that you dismiss that SOME people are hateful and not religious. And as long as some people exist who hate and are not religious, then religion does not cause all the hatred in the world.

Your sentence should have read "ignorant hatred is the reason gay teenage americans are three times more likely to commit suicide than straight ones."

There's no need for the word theist. You're just being inaccurate to exclude people.
legendary
July 04, 2015, 01:09:03 AM
It has nothing to do with them being theist. (people can hate homosexuality if they're atheist too)
Yes, and the Large Hadron Collider could create a black hole that swallows Earth, but these two scenarios are extreme improbabilities. I understand you don't see the distinction between possibility and probability, but scientists tend to discount extreme improbabilities when forming analysis or offering guidance. Science regards all matters with doubt by default, and even much of Old science has been debunked by New Science. it is only the Strongly Evidenced ideas that break out of Doubt's gravity well and reach Living Theory outer space.

This is why science is cumulatively providing a more and more accurate description of the universe, and why technology has been evolving so rapidly since the dawn of modern Reason. Meanwhile religion keeps offering the same shitty old Bronze Age assumptions for 2,000 years straight.

"Let's see. People were sooooo different back 2,000 years ago. They had 5 arms and 10 legs and 3 torsos and eyes and ears in abundance back then. But we have evolved into something more practical over the last 2,000 years, right?"

People are basically the same, now, as they were back 2,000 years ago. That's why religion fits us now as it did back then. That's also why he con artists of whatever religion are still trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the common people. The difference is that this time it is the religion of modern science.

In all those spactacular theories of modern science that suggest all kinds of grandios happenings in the universe and among people, from evolution to the Big Bang and beyond, all are just theories. There is so extremely little fact among them that they are basically science fiction. And because they are believed as truth among many, science has become religion more than it is science by far... at least among the common people.

Smiley
July 04, 2015, 12:30:41 AM

legendary
July 03, 2015, 05:52:49 PM
Fun fact: For most atheists, religion is like, the gayest thing there is. The absolute fucking GAYEST. Seriously you guys.

Plenty of rational people are irritated by religion just as plenty of irrational people are irritated by homosexuality.

And yet, I would never call someone "gay" as a derogatory thing.
Theist ignorant hatred is the reason gay teenage americans are three times more likely to commit suicide than straight ones.

That's a fact.

#goodReasonsToDespiseReligion

Jesus spent most of His time in the presence of what they called the worst of the worst back in the day. I'm not calling homosexuals the worst of the worst, just pointing out that Jesus never said to shun anyone, or to be mean to anyone. He said to love your neighbor as yourself. To do unto them as you would have done unto you.

So anyone engaging in hate, is sinning.

Can your compile us a list of all these false Gods please? I want to be sure to avoid them.

Anyone or anything that is not the true God of the bible /Jesus should not be worshiped or placed in higher respect than God/Jesus.

How have you come to that conclusion? Give me an example; let's say the Islamic God Allah. How have you concluded this one is false?

Yeah see you didn't really answer the question, you just gave us your opinion. Just because xyz is comforting, doesn't imply xyz is true.
To be fair I knew you would never answer it because I asked an impossible question. Nobody can possible know if that particular God is false or not.

I'm sure atheists will love this answer, but I have proof. Those with hardened hearts will never see proof enough to believe in God though. Christians are not supposed to bother trying to explain or prove His existence to someone who will never believe. Atheists will say they will, but it will never happen. You'll say that's convenient.

Well, it's not, it would be easier to just lay it all out and have you believe. But it's not the way God set up the world. And my proof is my proof, and subjective, nothing you can't say was just a figment of my imagination and easily explainable. But I know it's true.

It's all rather "school yard" all this. I mean why make a big fanfare announcement claiming proof, then when asked to show it (which you wanted people to do anyway, or else why announce it?), reply "not telling".

What you gonna do next, throw my school bag on the roof for not subscribing to your God club?

I don't want to speak for someone else, but I have a few questions and thoughts:

1)  What kind of proof are you looking for?

He mentioned his proof is subjective.  If it's 110 degrees outside and I tell you that it's cold outside because I happen to feel cold, how can I prove this to you?  A thermometer won't cut it except saying that 110 degree is cooler than, say, a paper fire.  Do you allow any room for experiential proof?  It would certainly be valid to say that my feeling and knowledge of being cold is experiential proof despite my inability to prove this to you or anyone else.

3a) If so, what place do you think logical or mathematical proofs have in rational discourse?

3b) Also, if so, by what means could one falsify the belief, or prove to the contrary, that empirical proof is not the only kind that matters?

1)
Objective evidence/proof as she made a claim that required objective evidence/proof.  I asked why she thinks her religion of Christianity was true and Islam was false, which is what she implied by saying only the bible God should be worshipped. I think she got confused with the question and thought I just asked for proof of God, which I didn't.
Claiming Islam is incorrect with just subjective proof is silly, because Islam claims their religion is correct with objective evidence. (They also believe subjectively as well of course.) No need to go into detail but it goes along the lines of the Quran says this that and the other and the bible says this so the Quran must be only correct one, and so forth. This is objective, you agree? And surely objective proof/evidence must always trump subjective proof/evidence.
She failed to put any objective evidence/proof on the table, thus failed to answer my question.

I'm sure your going to tell me I've got it all wrong now. I know my limits, I'm not arguing with you, you'll blow me out of the water. LOL.

You asked how I came to the conclusion, and I gave you my answer. I believed, and I got proof.

I don't need to prove it to you with objective evidence to answer your question of how I came to the conclusion I did. I answered your question.  I don't need to prove His existence to you for me to believe in Him.

Yes ^^. Scientific proof lacks in multitudes of ways. One can see this in the fact that science barely accepts some of the aspects of consciousness that are evident to many in ways other than science. People who accept such evidence as proof are just as correct as those who don't. Until science can recognize that there is way more fact than science accepts, science itself is flawed.

Smiley
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
July 03, 2015, 05:24:53 PM
Fun fact: For most atheists, religion is like, the gayest thing there is. The absolute fucking GAYEST. Seriously you guys.

Plenty of rational people are irritated by religion just as plenty of irrational people are irritated by homosexuality.

And yet, I would never call someone "gay" as a derogatory thing.
Theist ignorant hatred is the reason gay teenage americans are three times more likely to commit suicide than straight ones.

That's a fact.

#goodReasonsToDespiseReligion

Jesus spent most of His time in the presence of what they called the worst of the worst back in the day. I'm not calling homosexuals the worst of the worst, just pointing out that Jesus never said to shun anyone, or to be mean to anyone. He said to love your neighbor as yourself. To do unto them as you would have done unto you.

So anyone engaging in hate, is sinning.

1)  What kind of proof are you looking for?

He mentioned his proof is subjective.  If it's 110 degrees outside and I tell you that it's cold outside because I happen to feel cold, how can I prove this to you?  A thermometer won't cut it except saying that 110 degree is cooler than, say, a paper fire.  Do you allow any room for experiential proof?  It would certainly be valid to say that my feeling and knowledge of being cold is experiential proof despite my inability to prove this to you or anyone else.

1)
Objective evidence/proof as she made a claim that required objective evidence/proof.  I asked why she thinks her religion of Christianity was true and Islam was false, which is what she implied by saying only the bible God should be worshipped. I think she got confused with the question and thought I just asked for proof of God, which I didn't.

You asked how I came to the conclusion, and I gave you my answer. I believed, and I got proof.

I don't need to prove it to you with objective evidence to answer your question of how I came to the conclusion I did. I answered your question.  I don't need to prove His existence to you for me to believe in Him.
July 03, 2015, 04:57:10 PM
ITT: Theists who don't understand the concept of burden of proof. Shocker, I know.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1016
July 03, 2015, 04:43:47 PM

1)  What kind of proof are you looking for?

He mentioned his proof is subjective.  If it's 110 degrees outside and I tell you that it's cold outside because I happen to feel cold, how can I prove this to you?  A thermometer won't cut it except saying that 110 degree is cooler than, say, a paper fire.  Do you allow any room for experiential proof?  It would certainly be valid to say that my feeling and knowledge of being cold is experiential proof despite my inability to prove this to you or anyone else.

1)
Objective evidence/proof as she made a claim that required objective evidence/proof.  I asked why she thinks her religion of Christianity was true and Islam was false, which is what she implied by saying only the bible God should be worshipped. I think she got confused with the question and thought I just asked for proof of God, which I didn't.

2)
Believe it or not I regularly go back over your post history to read what you've written, even on threads I've never posted in. In fact, your in my top 5 of posters I like reading.
I admit some of your stuff is too heavy for me and goes way over my head, but I do try.

Anyway I am paying attention to what you say, so yes there is logical proof as well.

Jump to: