Author

Topic: Why do Atheists Hate Religion? - page 422. (Read 901341 times)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
May 28, 2015, 12:48:41 AM
So I see 2 threads of why islam hates people or why people hate Islam. I dont see the point of such a mundane debate based on religion any debate for or against religion would be stupid. Either you are stupid to believe what a prophet / god / divine entity said or you are stupid enough to believe you can change the minds of the bleak minded people who follow such a prophet / god / divine entity.

But since its fun let me initiate my own brand of 'why do' topic.

WHY DO ATHEISTS (like me) HATE RELIGION ?

Seriously what has to happen in a person's life for them to seriously give up hope on the one true everlasting brand (of religion) which their ancestors have followed for generations.

Everyone has their own story even I have mine, so lets hear some of it.

when people with strongly held beliefs hate; Atheists hate religious people for the very same reasons as religious people hate atheists.. each side thinks they have seen the light and that the other is living in ignorance. Atheists can see no point in living a life believing in something that doesn't exist and religious people see no point in living a life where something bigger than themselves doesn't exist.

in essence one thinks that god is pointless and the other thinks that a life without god is pointless.

And that is why they don't tend to get along lol...

legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
May 28, 2015, 12:45:04 AM
We don't hate religion we just think that many people who have religion push their beliefs on others (ex. pilgrims Hitler the people who landed in South America etc.). it IS a cause of war, violence, and such, but so is everything else. i think religion is uncertain and no one should claim to know because that just causes arguments (agnostic). I think that many problems are caused by religion, I do however, encourage people to have their own way of thinking. MY only problem is when people start pushing their opinions on me. that is MY personal opinion, you may have your own, she may think this, he may think that, and if you are trying to convince me of some mythical creature, shut the hell up. One of my friends earlier today said, "You don't believe in God, get a life." I didn't say anything, but i was thinking wtf. I see the irony in the fact that there are plenty of people out there willing to cause harm for their religion, when the situation is as you put it, "When most religions are against such things," but many religions who believe these things have their share of violence. Hitler for example. He WAS Catholic and how did that turn out? Yeah. Not so well. I do admit that some Atheists can be rather critical, but I do agree with the first commenter, you do sometimes make it easy to criticize....
To put it plain and simple, I share the same opinion as seasnake, to some extent. It has caused much harm.

i totally agree with you. i dont believe in forcing religion on someone who does not believe in it. what i find interesting tho is sharing thoughts with people who are opposite of my thoughts, its a very nice way to learn the psychology of the mind. and since i love talking ....

Absolutely right. Nobody should push his religion onto anyone else, neither Christians theirs, nor Muslims theirs, nor Buddhists theirs, nor atheists theirs, etc.  In other words, get atheism out of the schools.

Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
May 28, 2015, 12:42:12 AM
We didn't exist before our brain existed, therefore there is no justifiable reason to believe we exist after our brain ceases functioning.

If you want to suggest otherwise then it is your responsibility to present sufficient evidence to support your claim.

After all this time, and you haven't started to think yet. You still use the same stupidity to try to cloud issues. Or else you still think that somebody will be clouded by the same stupidity. Here's what I mean.

You are the one who stated that "we didn't exist before our brain existed." Now prove that, rather than trying to get others to prove the opposite.

Smiley
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Where is Teddy?
May 28, 2015, 12:16:31 AM
We don't hate religion we just think that many people who have religion push their beliefs on others (ex. pilgrims Hitler the people who landed in South America etc.). it IS a cause of war, violence, and such, but so is everything else. i think religion is uncertain and no one should claim to know because that just causes arguments (agnostic). I think that many problems are caused by religion, I do however, encourage people to have their own way of thinking. MY only problem is when people start pushing their opinions on me. that is MY personal opinion, you may have your own, she may think this, he may think that, and if you are trying to convince me of some mythical creature, shut the hell up. One of my friends earlier today said, "You don't believe in God, get a life." I didn't say anything, but i was thinking wtf. I see the irony in the fact that there are plenty of people out there willing to cause harm for their religion, when the situation is as you put it, "When most religions are against such things," but many religions who believe these things have their share of violence. Hitler for example. He WAS Catholic and how did that turn out? Yeah. Not so well. I do admit that some Atheists can be rather critical, but I do agree with the first commenter, you do sometimes make it easy to criticize....
To put it plain and simple, I share the same opinion as seasnake, to some extent. It has caused much harm.

i totally agree with you. i dont believe in forcing religion on someone who does not believe in it. what i find interesting tho is sharing thoughts with people who are opposite of my thoughts, its a very nice way to learn the psychology of the mind. and since i love talking ....
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
U will never know the true answer, before you try
May 28, 2015, 12:14:09 AM
Where is Teddy?
May 28, 2015, 12:13:02 AM
We didn't exist before our brain existed, therefore there is no justifiable reason to believe we exist after our brain ceases functioning.

If you want to suggest otherwise then it is your responsibility to present sufficient evidence to support your claim.

no need to make it personal about gathering claims and proofs when you know that its not possible to know what happens after death.. it was just a question that i believe not just me have asked about it... ive asked what you think happens thats all
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 1254
Thread-puller extraordinaire
May 28, 2015, 12:05:11 AM

Where is Teddy?
May 27, 2015, 11:39:20 PM
but i would like to ask to an atheist what happens after death?
Lots of things, but none of them will involve you. The universe keeps spinning totally indifferent to your existence, as if you never existed at all.

The universe won't care, and you won't care either. Only your loved ones will be affected.

what happens to YOU. not the universe because thats obvious
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
May 27, 2015, 08:40:58 PM
but i would like to ask to an atheist what happens after death?
Lots of things, but none of them will involve you. The universe keeps spinning totally indifferent to your existence, as if you never existed at all.

The universe won't care, and you won't care either. Only your loved ones will be affected.
Where is Teddy?
May 27, 2015, 06:42:45 PM
Or what's happens if the devil has been tricking all the religious folk all along.
Atheists will have the last laugh then.

but its quite scary to think we were wrong and will burn in hell.

It not remotely scary. This burning in hell thing is a ploy used by the church to increase their followers. Wise people ignore it.
Just enjoy life and stop worrying about your inevitable death. You can't stop it, it's as natural as eating, breathing etc, so why worry?

yeah i do agree it has yet to be proven. but all religion speaks of hell as burning fire. all religion even tho they have their differences and beliefs speaks about the same subject, im not saying they are right or they are wrong. but its just a thought i wanted to point out.

i do agree with you, death is inevitable.

Fear is a tired and tested method of recruiting new members. Ask Hitler. Ask ISIS. Ask the church.

It works.

we all fear something in some way. the only thing that tickles my mind when i hear something or see something is what if, thats what gave me the mind i have today. critical thinking. always a what if situation. am glad am like that.

and you forgot to say : ask the mainstream media, ask the govt
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1016
May 27, 2015, 06:30:00 PM
Or what's happens if the devil has been tricking all the religious folk all along.

It not remotely scary. This burning in hell thing is a ploy used by the church to increase their followers. Wise people ignore it.
Just enjoy life and stop worrying about your inevitable death. You can't stop it, it's as natural as eating, breathing etc, so why worry?

yeah i do agree it has yet to be proven. but all religion speaks of hell as burning fire. all religion even tho they have their differences and beliefs speaks about the same subject, im not saying they are right or they are wrong. but its just a thought i wanted to point out.

Fear is a tired and tested method of recruiting new members. Ask Hitler. Ask ISIS. Ask the church.

It works.
Where is Teddy?
May 27, 2015, 06:21:35 PM

legendary
May 27, 2015, 06:18:50 PM

you believe in devil? o.O thats weird.

Not really. But it winds up BADecker. Cheesy
legendary
May 27, 2015, 06:17:28 PM

Where is Teddy?
May 27, 2015, 06:08:28 PM

you believe in devil? o.O thats weird.

anyways maybe you mean if there exist a devil or something like that.

yeah well that was interresting, we do not know what will happen after our death, but its quite scary to think we were wrong and will burn in hell. as far as i know fire hasnt been my strong point all my life Cheesy
legendary
May 27, 2015, 06:06:34 PM
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
May 27, 2015, 06:03:56 PM
and what if it was not a fairytale? what if when you die you see that you will have a judgement day? this is a very interresting conversation to have. what will you do when whoever is out there starts questionning your doings? your beliefs? its just a question but still, what if?
So you're asking me what if atheists have been wrong all along and judgement day comes?
There will be two options: a) the boring religious people will be stuck in heaven with a bunch of other boring religious people with their God who likes to have everyone under control.
b) The non believers, sinners and such will enjoy our time in hell with all the sinners of the world. This includes most of my awesome friends, hookers and people such as Dan Blizerian.

I'd rather chose option b.   Cheesy

The Atheists will be judged on their good or bad behaviour in life, the same as everyone else. Those that believed in the man-made religions in their life, won't get any special treatment.
He's talking about the judgement day as described in the books. You're forgetting that atheists (including me) probably broke majority of the rules of every religion out there.  Smiley

Now if the religions actually were wrong all along, but there was a god and judgement day came, then what you said is true.
legendary
May 27, 2015, 06:01:54 PM
Well nobody knows that, Atheist or otherwise.

i agree but if someone is following a religion, it is stated in their religious book about the life after death or something like that. but how about atheists? since they dont have a book and rely on science, bearing in mind science is more or less about theories which changes over time. i would like to know their views about it
I'm an atheist. If a write a book stating that we become unicorns after we die and even if others believe that, it won't make it true.
I for one don't think about that. The question can't be answered while you're alive. If you focus on the life and death paradox too much you might start going crazy.

You can always pick the easy route and believe afterlife fairy tales. Then there is no reason not to believe in the Stargate and the ancients either.  Cheesy

and what if it was not a fairytale? what if when you die you see that you will have a judgement day? this is a very interresting conversation to have. what will you do when whoever is out there starts questionning your doings? your beliefs? its just a question but still, what if?

The Atheists will be judged on their good or bad behaviour in life, the same as everyone else. Those that believed in the man-made religions in their life, won't get any special treatment.

Of course in reality I have no idea, just guessing like everyone else.

Where is Teddy?
May 27, 2015, 05:50:42 PM

i agree but if someone is following a religion, it is stated in their religious book about the life after death or something like that. but how about atheists? since they dont have a book and rely on science, bearing in mind science is more or less about theories which changes over time. i would like to know their views about it
I'm an atheist. If a write a book stating that we become unicorns after we die and even if others believe that, it won't make it true.
I for one don't think about that. The question can't be answered while you're alive. If you focus on the life and death paradox too much you might start going crazy.

You can always pick the easy route and believe afterlife fairy tales. Then there is no reason not to believe in the Stargate and the ancients either.  Cheesy

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
May 27, 2015, 05:45:09 PM

Jump to: