Pages:
Author

Topic: Why do Atheists Hate Religion? - page 76. (Read 901342 times)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250
May 13, 2017, 11:54:17 PM
You contradict yourself. According to the definition of religion (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/religion?s=t), whatever you believe in is a religion for you. Nobody, not even you, can walk around without having any beliefs whatsoever.

A sane person will believe in things that seem logical. It is not logical to believe that science theory is fact when it is acknowledged by scientists to not be know to be fact. Belief in science theory as fact is religious belief.

Cool

Wrong.
Science is not a religion. You say that theories are acknowledged by scientists to not be facts?
Well that's the very difference between theories and theorems... But only few theories remain. Most science aspects have been proven right now.

Could you give an example of a scientific theory that is not proven? Cause the only ones I see are... Well no scientist "believe in them" they just find those theories interesting and we think it MIGHT be the answer but that's all.

I agree with you that science is not religion. So you are wrong with your "wrong," because I didn't say that science is religion.

If science theories had been proven, they would be science laws. The fact that they remain theories shows that they have not been proven.

People who believe unproven things to be fact, have religion going for themselves. Science theories are not religion. Only the people who believe that they are factual when it is not known, are the people who have a religion going for themselves in the science theories.

Cool

By definition of religion is a belief of existence of a divinity or supreme being. Religion and belief are two word with different meanings. I believe that vegetables are healthy then does that mean this is a religion? No of course. I believe that democracy is the best form of government then does this mean this is a religion? Of course not. You see science is not a religion but rather a systematic and organize body of knowledge and logical reasonings by the help of actual evidences. The theories which they have not proven yet or not certain like Big Bang is an example that they do use the evidences they have gathered to unravel history but at the same time they stated that they are unsure due to lack of evidence of proofs regarding this. The point is science is not a religion.

Don't get me wrong and saying that I'm an atheist or what. It is just that you have a wrong definition of religion there.
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
May 13, 2017, 03:26:28 PM
You contradict yourself. According to the definition of religion (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/religion?s=t), whatever you believe in is a religion for you. Nobody, not even you, can walk around without having any beliefs whatsoever.

A sane person will believe in things that seem logical. It is not logical to believe that science theory is fact when it is acknowledged by scientists to not be know to be fact. Belief in science theory as fact is religious belief.

Cool

Wrong.
Science is not a religion. You say that theories are acknowledged by scientists to not be facts?
Well that's the very difference between theories and theorems... But only few theories remain. Most science aspects have been proven right now.

Could you give an example of a scientific theory that is not proven? Cause the only ones I see are... Well no scientist "believe in them" they just find those theories interesting and we think it MIGHT be the answer but that's all.

I agree with you that science is not religion. So you are wrong with your "wrong," because I didn't say that science is religion.

If science theories had been proven, they would be science laws. The fact that they remain theories shows that they have not been proven.

People who believe unproven things to be fact, have religion going for themselves. Science theories are not religion. Only the people who believe that they are factual when it is not known, are the people who have a religion going for themselves in the science theories.

Cool
Activity: 840
Merit: 529
May 13, 2017, 01:12:51 PM

Cool

Wrong.

legendary
May 13, 2017, 09:39:50 AM
I never really hated religion. It always amused me that otherwise rational adults could believe in
the equivalent (in rational terms) of a santa claus or a tooth fairy albeit an invisible sky daddy, aka GOD.
When pious delusional folks start besmirching science by posting mindless drivel 24/7 on bitcointalk threads 
claiming science proves god exists..well then... I hate religion

incoming BADecker drivel in 3...2...1...

Why would anyone hate religion? Everyone lives in it. According to the definition of religion (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/religion?s=t), whatever you believe in is a religion for you. Nobody, not even you, can walk around without having any beliefs whatsoever. Perhaps your religion includes believing that your religion is not a religion. The dictionary definition says opposite.

Cool
legendary
May 13, 2017, 09:36:23 AM
I think that this topic is getting ridiculous. People hate religions because they have their own reason. I also dont believe at them that they dont believe in God of course they do before yet their fate lessen but deep inside they are still hoping

no seriously, I don't believe any gods exist, or ever existed

If a god exists, it is an utter failure

God cannot even get people to believe he/she exists... that's a failure

If any god played an active role in manipulating events on earth it would be obvious to everyone, and we would all believe in that god

What god creates Hitler, mosquitoes, malaria, aids, and child cancer? (to name a few)

There is no reason to believe any god exists, and many reasons to believe no gods exist

Yet, you are so far above the next most intelligent animal (chimp, dolphin), that you are a god with regard to them.

Yet, you are so ignorant regarding the knowledge and intelligence behind and within the universe, that God is way greater than you.

Cool

So god is just another being that exists in this universe? Then why should we worship him? So what if he supposedly made everything, there is no proof just words in a book of twisted words and contradictions. Only a weak mind would need to believe in a greater existence.

Only weak minds? Then why would your university is imposing the philosophers value? As a mere fact thst most of them believes in the existence of God. Are you trying to say that your university proofs or the managements has a weaker mind because they were teaching you the philosophy that you believed in? ( or wait have you really been studying? Or just trying to be cool here like a weirdo retard thst thinks being an atheist is cool?)

Superstitions and religions are medical issues.  Not up for an intellectual discussion.

Especially not in the university.

Professors that believe in this nonsense suffer probably from paraphrenia.  That is why they can block one world view from the other. And continue to work. They are delusional.

Any sane person cannot believe in flat, 6000 year old Earth or virgin pregnancy.  Never mind all other nonsense.

Cool
Activity: 910
Merit: 500
May 12, 2017, 11:37:24 PM
I think that this topic is getting ridiculous. People hate religions because they have their own reason. I also dont believe at them that they dont believe in God of course they do before yet their fate lessen but deep inside they are still hoping

If any god played an active role in manipulating events on earth it would be obvious to everyone, and we would all believe in that god

What god creates Hitler, mosquitoes, malaria, aids, and child cancer? (to name a few)

There is no reason to believe any god exists, and many reasons to believe no gods exist

Yet, you are so far above the next most intelligent animal (chimp, dolphin), that you are a god with regard to them.

Yet, you are so ignorant regarding the knowledge and intelligence behind and within the universe, that God is way greater than you.

Cool

So god is just another being that exists in this universe? Then why should we worship him? So what if he supposedly made everything, there is no proof just words in a book of twisted words and contradictions. Only a weak mind would need to believe in a greater existence.

Only weak minds? Then why would your university is imposing the philosophers value? As a mere fact thst most of them believes in the existence of God. Are you trying to say that your university proofs or the managements has a weaker mind because they were teaching you the philosophy that you believed in? ( or wait have you really been studying? Or just trying to be cool here like a weirdo retard thst thinks being an atheist is cool?)
legendary
Activity: 3388
Merit: 3514
born once atheist
May 12, 2017, 10:21:57 PM
I never really hated religion. It always amused me that otherwise rational adults could believe in
the equivalent (in rational terms) of a santa claus or a tooth fairy albeit an invisible sky daddy, aka GOD.
When pious delusional folks start besmirching science by posting mindless drivel 24/7 on bitcointalk threads 
claiming science proves god exists..well then... I hate religion

incoming BADecker drivel in 3...2...1...
legendary
May 03, 2017, 04:24:43 PM
Exactly. Human beings, unlike animals or plants were gifted with free will. When you or someone do evil upon others, blaming it on God is but an act of cowardice. You have free will to be responsible for everthing you decide to do in your life. Good and bad.

There has been also recent trend in convergence between science and spirituality as it should be. Those two are not in opposition and never should have. They describe two sides, material and spiritual of existence.

Cool, so then why do we need God?
If whatever we do is our own action, if evolution is real... Where does God enters in the field? Why should we even care about him?

Because of where the free will lies.

Science has shown that all activity on earth works through cause and effect. This means that the synapses that fire in our brains, are caused to fire by some causative activity; the firing is simply the effect of whatever the causative agent was. So, we do NOT have free will in the choices we make. Rather, they are programmed by cause and effect.

How do we have free will then? God holds open a little piece of free will in us. This free will has to do with how much or little we believe in Him. He controls the rest of the universe according to what He sees in our little piece of free will, and regarding the plans He has for each of us.

Cool
Activity: 574
Merit: 506
May 03, 2017, 12:28:42 PM
Exactly. Human beings, unlike animals or plants were gifted with free will. When you or someone do evil upon others, blaming it on God is but an act of cowardice. You have free will to be responsible for everthing you decide to do in your life. Good and bad.

There has been also recent trend in convergence between science and spirituality as it should be. Those two are not in opposition and never should have. They describe two sides, material and spiritual of existence.

If whatever we do is our own action, if evolution is real... Where does God enters in the field? Why should we even care about him?

Pat Buchanan wrote awhile back excellent article what benefits does *faith* have for society as a whole. It forms our culture and our culture then forms our civilization.

Civilizations (including the western one) are kept alive by principles upon which they were founded, dont you agree? Similar to ideologies or organisms for that matter.

When people lose faith, they start to lose their culture, rapturing society they have build. Eventually people themselves start to die off. Could you tell me of one western country where secular people have enough children to atleast replenish their own aging population? Why should have they children at all without faith or sense of belonging?

Craked5, you mentioned evolution without mentioning that its first major proponent, sir Darwin was practicing Christian whose faith was only (but very understandably) shook when his young daughter passed away from sickness. He described process of evolution as physical manifestation of Gods will and natural order. Not as a hammer, supposed to kill any sort of spirituality, that human beings are gifted with.

You are not right. If there is a God then maybe you will be rewarded and that you should not sin, and it is very difficult. Perhaps even if you believed in God to go to hell. But if there is no God then you just lost your chance and not only enjoyed the your parents your life.

I think you understand  Smiley

Bible is not some step by step tutorial on how to cook wasabi, rather it is testament of experience by past witnesses Smiley Ten commandments present quite useful "how to" to live your life to yours and your loved ones fullness. Life and death of Jesus Christ aswell is not to be emulated verbatim by readers, he presents ideal, Son of God, that people should look up to. To better both themselves and their surroundings in harmony with natural order.

Free will is a gift that no other species on Earth possess, you have free will to decide for yourself, whether to sin or ignore knowledge altogether. But you dont have to. Unlike animals you have the option to choose. And when you do choose, you will be held accountable for it. In this life or after it ends.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
May 03, 2017, 11:39:12 AM

You are not right. If there is a God then maybe you will be rewarded and that you should not sin, and it is very difficult. Perhaps even if you believed in God to go to hell. But if there is no God then you just lost your chance and not only enjoyed the your parents your life.
May 03, 2017, 11:28:46 AM
Quite simple. If you believe and God exists, you'll be rewarded. If God doesn't exist, you lose nothing. Therefore believing is more optimal strategy in life (and beyond), which atheists simply can't agree with and humbly resign themselves to...

False.

What you're talking about is the Pascal bet, that's an old philosophical problem handed out by a French philosopher (Pascal).

It's wrong for many different reasons:
-What if there is a God but not the one you spent your life believing in?
-What if there is a God but he will judge you on your ability to think by yourself and not blindly think about god?
-What if life is just a test and after it your score is based not on your faith but for example on how much pleasure you had?
-What if there is no God at all and you spent your whole life believing in nothing important?

Pascal bet is stupid. It's based on wrong assumption and shouldn't be followed.
May 03, 2017, 11:26:26 AM

Activity: 350
Merit: 250
May 03, 2017, 08:16:24 AM
So I see 2 threads of why islam hates people or why people hate Islam. I dont see the point of such a mundane debate based on religion any debate for or against religion would be stupid. Either you are stupid to believe what a prophet / god / divine entity said or you are stupid enough to believe you can change the minds of the bleak minded people who follow such a prophet / god / divine entity.

But since its fun let me initiate my own brand of 'why do' topic.

WHY DO ATHEISTS (like me) HATE RELIGION ?

Seriously what has to happen in a person's life for them to seriously give up hope on the one true everlasting brand (of religion) which their ancestors have followed for generations.

Everyone has their own story even I have mine, so lets hear some of it.

Quite simple. If you believe and God exists, you'll be rewarded. If God doesn't exist, you lose nothing. Therefore believing is more optimal strategy in life (and beyond), which atheists simply can't agree with and humbly resign themselves to...

May 03, 2017, 07:43:15 AM
I consider myself as an atheist, the main reason being I think that religion does not belong in the 21st century, not at all. It is some ancient excuse that people used to explain something they didn't understand. Today we have more knowledge about science than ever, and we know for a fact that everything has an answer, and there is nothing godly among us.
Religion has not made anything but violence and bad things. I literally cannot think of any genuinely good thing that was thanks to religion.
I do not agree with you friend. You are wrong on so many levels. If science can not prove something it does not mean it is not existing. There are many things done "in the name of God", but it was done by man, corrupted man those are. Everyone who say they are doing something for God, they should be locked up. Religion does not teach us to be bad or aggressive. There will always be greedy people who will use any mean necessary to get them self anything they want, but that is Human factor not God.

Activity: 560
Merit: 257
May 03, 2017, 06:45:11 AM
I consider myself as an atheist, the main reason being I think that religion does not belong in the 21st century, not at all. It is some ancient excuse that people used to explain something they didn't understand. Today we have more knowledge about science than ever, and we know for a fact that everything has an answer, and there is nothing godly among us.
Religion has not made anything but violence and bad things. I literally cannot think of any genuinely good thing that was thanks to religion.
I do not agree with you friend. You are wrong on so many levels. If science can not prove something it does not mean it is not existing. There are many things done "in the name of God", but it was done by man, corrupted man those are. Everyone who say they are doing something for God, they should be locked up. Religion does not teach us to be bad or aggressive. There will always be greedy people who will use any mean necessary to get them self anything they want, but that is Human factor not God.
legendary
May 02, 2017, 10:29:31 PM
you are so full of shit.  i never admitted i'm scientifically inept. What the fuck are you on about?  Oh I like the blue. Very clever for an imbecile. 

You admit it all the time. How? You simply show it by the things you say.

Cool
May 02, 2017, 09:08:54 PM

I completely agree with you. Religion was invented by some people several thousands of years ago, to enslave the less intelligent ones. Religion has changed a lot during all these years. From the primitive animistic beliefs, we have progressed in to business minded religions such as Islam and Christianity. But it still serves its original purpose.

Sithara,

you might be assuming (aka believing  Grin) a lot here. What religion and what people? Spirituality is universal to all human cultures everywhere in the world as archeology going well into the stone age can confirm. Religion is but formalization of it, next step in forming of actual civilization with firm value system.

You have made quite a judgment in claiming, that "bussiness minded" religions are here to enslave people like some Amazon corporation. You never heard about Sufis or Quakers, did you? Believing folk are not as monolithic as you may think as is the role of God in their lives.

One thing separating (unfortunately slowly dying out) atheists/agnostics from believers is humility. Believer accepts he is not physically immortal, knows everything or assume he has God like powers. He doesnt pretend to be a God, which helps him to open his soul to possibility that he is part of something greater that unites all existence.

What part of Ten commandments do you find to be enslaving and or offensive?
May 02, 2017, 08:56:50 PM

You cannot think of anything? Well, for start your entire culture was formed by religion for hundreds of years. As therefore societies moral compass.

I could aswell ask you in return, what do you believe in as an atheist? Law of the strongest (aka preferably you as a God) or egalitarian communists police state (Big brother), because there arent many other options for you live in this society and share values with other fellow human beings. Both of the latter ones and its various -ism offshoots are in essence secular materialistic religions. Devoid of any spirituality, hope or perspective.

Religion is but formalization of faith and there arent things you can do well without faith but masturbation and death.

http://buchanan.org/blog/if-god-is-dead-125152

legendary
Activity: 3388
Merit: 3514
born once atheist
May 02, 2017, 08:46:25 PM

Cool

You failed to address his point entirely but just did what you always do
when you have no rebuttal, deflect and make some retarded "yet....bla bla" statement... in this particular case, proclaiming how
great your imaginary god is and how ignorant we all are.
Your arrogance shines and its people like you that make atheists hate religion. Id be willing to
bet even a lot of your fellow believers find many of your posts rather off-putting.

Moloch's starting point is to say that he DOESN'T believe that gods exist. His first words, above, are, "no seriously, I don't believe any gods exist, or ever existed." He knows he is lying when he says this, because he knows for a fact that he hasn't checked out every spot on earth and in the universe to see if God exists there or not. Because of this, he knows that God might exist somewhere he hasn't checked.

Since this is what his whole post is based on, and since he is entirely aware that he doesn't know if God exists or not, his whole post is a lie. There isn't much of a way to respond to lies without accepting them as though they were truth in the mind of the speaker of those lies. In this case, Moloch (and all so-called atheists) absolutely know that God might exist. Atheism is a total lie for them, and they know it.

Once Moloch wants to start getting truthful and ask his questions, or make his points, from the standpoint that God might exist, then maybe we can start talking to what he says.

Cool

Moloch said he doesn't BELIEVE any sky fairy  god exists   - So? Everybody makes a mistake about what he believes once in a while. In this case, it is not Moloch making a mistake about what he believes. Rather, it is Moloch lying about what he believes. If he had only just heard about the idea that God might exist somewhere that he hasn't examined, yet, it might not be an intentional lie. But because he has heard about it many times, now, he is intentionally lying about what he believes.
Moloch did not say I KNOW there is no  sky fairy god.
don't put words in his mouth. Which makes the rest of your retarded post moot and not worth responding to. - Knowledge is greater than faith in things we, as people, consider. Since Moloch knows that God might exist, he doesn't believe that God doesn't exist.

How many times do we rational people have to tell you that we cannot prove your stupid
imaginary invisible friend in the sky doesn't exist just like we cant prove pink unicorns don't exist.
We cannot prove a negative .  its just we believe it is extremely unlikely ok got it?
Its only been repeated a million times to you.

Since you admit that you are scientifically inept, why do you even believe the computer works? Trial and error? Just think how great you could be if you learned how to rationalize, both scientifically, and regarding what you see in nature.

Cool

you are so full of shit.  i never admitted i'm scientifically inept. What the fuck are you on about?  Oh I like the blue. Very clever for an imbecile. 
hey you forgot to cut and paste your merry go round links..
 Get a life dude and maybe a job. See ya next week... I have to go to work now.
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
May 02, 2017, 04:29:01 PM

Spot on when talking about organised religion IMO.
Pages:
Jump to: