Author

Topic: why do people agree to pay taxes? - page 137. (Read 50995 times)

Activity: 143
Merit: 104
October 22, 2014, 10:00:52 PM
...Well, ask yourself this, how did you first find out about the income tax? ...

Does it matter?  Do you think that if you haven't heard about paying income tax, you wouldn't have to pay it?  Help me out here.
Ignorance of the law is not an excuse to not follow the law.

You would find out that you need to file taxes when you receive tax forms from either your employer or other source of income. When you are filing out your tax forms you will realize that you need to pay taxes on your income

You understand this is circular logic right?  You employer doesn't have the right to tax you.  You say you find out you owe the tax while filling out the tax form?  That form is called a tax return.  You ever wonder why they call it a return?  It is called a return because tax agents went out to each tax payer and filled out the form for them by asking the questions on the form.  The agent would then return the form to the IRS.  The income tax violates the Fourth and Fifth amendments.  We have a right to be secure in our persons and free from unreasonable searches and we cannot be forced to testify against ourselves.  
Activity: 378
Merit: 254
October 22, 2014, 09:53:08 PM
...Well, ask yourself this, how did you first find out about the income tax? ...

Does it matter?  Do you think that if you haven't heard about paying income tax, you wouldn't have to pay it?  Help me out here.

It's not like you looked it up in a law book like Irwin Schiff did.  But we all know what happened him.

Actually no, had to right-click->search with Google.  So now I know--a crazy who got [repeatedly] owned by the courts and jailed for his stupidity.

Inspirational.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
October 22, 2014, 09:30:00 PM

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse to not follow the law.

You would find out that you need to file taxes when you receive tax forms from either your employer or other source of income. When you are filing out your tax forms you will realize that you need to pay taxes on your income
October 22, 2014, 09:23:39 PM

It's not like you looked it up in a law book like Irwin Schiff did.  But we all know what happened him.
October 22, 2014, 09:06:22 PM

October 22, 2014, 07:52:07 PM
Why do people agree to pay taxes?  Well, ask yourself this, how did you first find out about the income tax?  Who was it that told you you had to file an income tax return every year?  Was it a government official?  A politician?  A cop?  An IRS agent?  Who?

In my case it was the local nightly news.  Every year in April, like clockwork, there is the obligatory news story all local networks run about the approaching tax deadline that everyone must meet.  There are stories about the post offices staying open late and the long lines of procrastinators rushing to get that April 15th postmark.  The story always concludes with the info that if you haven't filed yet you still have time until 10PM tonight.  Why does a "news" report contain information that is clearly not news?  Because the government has these stations by the balls with their licensing racket.  

Other common answers include "I first heard about it in (public) school" or "My parents first told me about it."
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
October 22, 2014, 04:30:19 PM
Because true free market is as big of an utopia as communism is. We need state and police to keep people in check unfortunately.

We need people to keep the bloody tyrannical state and police in check.
Activity: 153
Merit: 100
October 22, 2014, 08:11:09 AM
Because true free market is as big of an utopia as communism is. We need state and police to keep people in check unfortunately.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
October 21, 2014, 04:44:03 PM
It has happened many times in history.
Those people then form a new government which, in time, turns out to be pretty similar to the old one.

Essentially what happens is....'Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.'

that's why power must always be as distributed as possible, having a single group of people having all the weapons is plain stupid.
Activity: 38
Merit: 0
October 21, 2014, 02:38:19 AM
It has happened many times in history.
Those people then form a new government which, in time, turns out to be pretty similar to the old one.

Essentially what happens is....'Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.'
Activity: 868
October 21, 2014, 02:07:35 AM
The services that are provided by the government are necessary for society to continue in a civilized manner.

While the services may be necessary, the government is not.

Right, services can be provided by private organisations or local communities as well.
Activity: 868
October 21, 2014, 02:04:15 AM
why is it ok for a group of people calling themselves the government to force everyone to buy their services?

Because they need money to pay guards in order to stay in power.

if enough armed people refused to pay and told the government to go fuck itself there is nothing they could do.

Happened in history all the time.
October 20, 2014, 09:14:50 PM
why should people leave America, how about the taxes leave America...

Lolno, U!

~Your Reptilian Overlords
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1011
October 20, 2014, 08:25:41 PM
The services that are provided by the government are necessary for society to continue in a civilized manner.

While the services may be necessary, the government is not.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005
October 20, 2014, 06:17:30 PM
We don't agree to pay taxes. We pay them because we would go to jail if we didn't.

And we have to pay taxes because the majority of voters are ignorant and just keep asking for more government intervention.
I would disagree with this. The government provides a certain amount of services to it's citizens and as a result citizens need to pay for these services via taxes. If you do not pay taxes then you are essentially stealing. It is not a perfect system however it is generally what is used throughout the world.

so the government sells you services at the point of a gun, is that how it works?
its not like you can refuse to buy the services.
The services that are provided by the government are necessary for society to continue in a civilized manner. Without the services the government provides there would be ciaos and it would generally be unsafe for citizens

Nope. Chaos is not equal to anarchy. We are effectively in a state of chaos now, where if you're in government, you can murder and otherwise violate the rights of whoever you want under color of law, and not legitimately fear any real consequences (civil judgements come out of taxpayers' pockets, not perpetrators).
If a police officer for example kills an innocent civilian and is acting recklessly then he could be both criminally liable and civilly liable for this action. I would disagree with your statement that people can be killed and rights violated under "the color of the law" especially without any examples.....can you please provide one (or two)

what about covert ops though?

Obviously most of their atrocities will be kept secret.
Activity: 448
October 20, 2014, 03:37:29 PM
So, who's leaving America to get away from evil taxes? And where are you going? Where is this utopia of tax free peace and prosperity? Some of the gulf states have no taxes. But that does not mean you can do what you want. There are a lot of laws about how you must conduct yourself in accordance with Islam. And you may still have to pay unofficial taxes in the form of bribes.

When you rank countries by how happy their people are, you find that the happiest places have high taxation. That is because it's not the tax, it's what they get for their taxes.

why should people leave America, how about the taxes leave America.
i never said getting rid of taxes creates a perfect utopia but it will improve the economy and financial well being of everyone in the country.

the government is an inefficient monopoly, it can't know how much people are willing to pay for the services it provides and just charges people arbitrary amounts by using force.
only the free market can put an optimal price on services such as defense, unemployment insurance, medical insurance and all the other industries the government is either a total monopoly in or interferes in.

when these services are run for profit in a free market they have to be efficient or else the company owners lose money.
the government has no reason to be efficient, the money they spend didn't come out of their pocket and in a way after its stolen from the population its nobody's money and no one cares how inefficiently it is being used.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
October 20, 2014, 10:51:17 AM
So, who's leaving America to get away from evil taxes? And where are you going? Where is this utopia of tax free peace and prosperity? Some of the gulf states have no taxes. But that does not mean you can do what you want. There are a lot of laws about how you must conduct yourself in accordance with Islam. And you may still have to pay unofficial taxes in the form of bribes.

When you rank countries by how happy their people are, you find that the happiest places have high taxation. That is because it's not the tax, it's what they get for their taxes.
Activity: 65
Merit: 10
October 20, 2014, 09:45:55 AM
Why do people agree to pay taxes? Because people are stupid and don't know any better. People should refuse to pay taxes en masse until the governments change their ways. They only have power because the people give them it by voting for them and paying their salaries.
Activity: 115
Merit: 10
October 20, 2014, 09:37:15 AM
I guess because I like not having to generate my own electricity, have access to clean running water and sewerage, paved roads and traffic signs. Sure it sucks paying for other people's kids to go to school and some pensioner's gruel, but your mileage may vary.

As a single young person with an OK salary I'm definitely getting the worst of it. Contributing the most but receiving the least. But hey, when some government funded nurse is changing my diaper in 60 years I'll have some working-age guy's salary to thank.

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
October 20, 2014, 03:30:09 AM
We don't agree to pay taxes. We pay them because we would go to jail if we didn't.

And we have to pay taxes because the majority of voters are ignorant and just keep asking for more government intervention.
I would disagree with this. The government provides a certain amount of services to it's citizens and as a result citizens need to pay for these services via taxes. If you do not pay taxes then you are essentially stealing. It is not a perfect system however it is generally what is used throughout the world.

so the government sells you services at the point of a gun, is that how it works?
its not like you can refuse to buy the services.
The services that are provided by the government are necessary for society to continue in a civilized manner. Without the services the government provides there would be ciaos and it would generally be unsafe for citizens

Nope. Chaos is not equal to anarchy. We are effectively in a state of chaos now, where if you're in government, you can murder and otherwise violate the rights of whoever you want under color of law, and not legitimately fear any real consequences (civil judgements come out of taxpayers' pockets, not perpetrators).
If a police officer for example kills an innocent civilian and is acting recklessly then he could be both criminally liable and civilly liable for this action. I would disagree with your statement that people can be killed and rights violated under "the color of the law" especially without any examples.....can you please provide one (or two)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-18/forensic-evidence-said-to-support-ferguson-police-shooting-story.html

This one springs to mind immediately, whenever a shooting happens that is perpetrated by the police they just shrug it off and use PR, they aren't accountable, people like you just choose to ignore bits they don't like about government to support their view, this kind of thing is happening on a regular basis.

Oh and if they aren't shooting at you, they're pepper spraying you in the face or using tasers for peacefully protesting, or just pointing guns at you and are ready to shoot you.
Jump to: