Author

Topic: why do people agree to pay taxes? - page 132. (Read 50995 times)

legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
November 08, 2014, 06:15:25 PM
Yes, everyone, let's ignore that roads used to be funded and constructed by businesses, so you could patronize them without having to change your flat tires.
Yes, everyone, let's ignore the existence of volunteer fire/medic departments, and that you sometimes get billed, in addition to the taxes you already pay, if you use "the government's" public safety employees/contractors.
Yes, everyone, let's ignore the hundreds of trash companies that bill you for trash pickup, if you don't want to pay to drive your waste directly into the dump.

Do we need those things? In some sense yes we do but does the requirement for those things also come at the cost of actual freedom? If so that is a pretty heavy cost for a road.

Statists' "logic" seems to be that absolutely no freedom is ever lost at the hands of government, or that even if it is, being a tax slave is 100% worth it despite any/all evidence to the contrary.

Can't fix evil masquerading as ignorant. Ignore/block, move on.
Activity: 378
Merit: 254
November 08, 2014, 06:03:44 PM
Yes, everyone, let's ignore that roads used to be funded and constructed by businesses, so you could patronize them without having to change your flat tires.

ORLY?  Other than access roads?  When/where was this?  Be specific.

Sources for people who won't feign ignorance after reading them:

Daniel Klein and John Majewski, "America's Toll Roads Heritage" in Street Smart: Competition, Entrepreneurship, and the Future of Roads, ed. Gabriel Roth (New Brunswick, N.J.: Transaction Publishers, 2006). See also Daniel B. Klein and John Majewski, "Turnpikes and Toll Roads in Nineteenth-Century America," February 5, 2010

Lol, stopped right there.  Of course private and toll roads exist.  Alongside government-funded roads.  I even had my own driveway paved once.  And referencing some d00d's school papers is pretty weak--might as well say "I did a social studies report I got an A on and posted on teh web."

How about something a bit less obscure?

Edit re. second citation:

Nice trolling there, champ Roll Eyes
Activity: 387
Merit: 264
November 08, 2014, 06:01:40 PM
Yes, everyone, let's ignore the existence of volunteer fire/medic departments, and that you sometimes get billed, in addition to the taxes you already pay, if you use "the government's" public safety employees/contractors.
Yes, everyone, let's ignore the hundreds of trash companies that bill you for trash pickup, if you don't want to pay to drive your waste directly into the dump.

Do we need those things? In some sense yes we do but does the requirement for those things also come at the cost of actual freedom? If so that is a pretty heavy cost for a road.
legendary
RIP Mommy
November 08, 2014, 05:42:02 PM

Sources for people who won't feign ignorance after reading them:

Daniel Klein and John Majewski, "America's Toll Roads Heritage" in Street Smart: Competition, Entrepreneurship, and the Future of Roads, ed. Gabriel Roth (New Brunswick, N.J.: Transaction Publishers, 2006). See also Daniel B. Klein and John Majewski, "Turnpikes and Toll Roads in Nineteenth-Century America," February 5, 2010

Rees Jeffreys, The King's Highway (London: Batchworth Press, 1949)

Daniel B. Klein and John Majewski, "Economy, Community, and Law: The Turnpike Movement in New York, 1797-1845," in Law and Society Review 26 (1992)

Yes, everyone, let's ignore that the vast majority of infrastructure projects were and are publicly funded.

... after government usurped the liberty and ultimate authority of private entities to fund infrastructure themselves (without corporate-government bribery).

<3 Stockholm syndrome.
So you, or a private company, are no longer allowed to fund infrastructure?

Not without bribery (and bribery by every other name).

<3 defending the indefensible.
Activity: 1834
Merit: 166
November 08, 2014, 05:37:24 PM
Yes, everyone, let's ignore that the vast majority of infrastructure projects were and are publicly funded.

... after government usurped the liberty and ultimate authority of private entities to fund infrastructure themselves (without corporate-government bribery).

<3 Stockholm syndrome.
So you, or a private company, are no longer allowed to fund infrastructure? Weird. You've completely fabricated that to support a poor argument.

<3 strawmen arguments and misused psychological conditions
November 08, 2014, 05:29:44 PM

legendary
RIP Mommy
November 08, 2014, 04:54:43 PM

<3 Stockholm syndrome.
Activity: 500
Merit: 501
http://digitalcoin.org/
November 08, 2014, 04:53:57 PM
There is a cost to the comforts and security we require as a society.  We can argue if that cost is fair, or if money is spent wisely, but some form of contribution to the operation of communal services is a requirement for the success of every community, large or small.

TT
Activity: 1834
Merit: 166
November 08, 2014, 04:45:59 PM
legendary
RIP Mommy
November 08, 2014, 04:35:21 PM
Activity: 387
Merit: 264
November 08, 2014, 02:16:08 PM
I am no legal expert but I have a strong belief, whether grounded in fact or not, that the entire system I live in is a kind of illegal agreement. Combining taxes with the monetary system I am forced to use and a political system that does not properly represent my concerns makes this usury in nature. I was never given the chance to make an informed choice. I was born into it.
Activity: 173
Merit: 100
November 08, 2014, 02:08:22 PM
There are services that I expect to be available in my community, roads need maintained, fires need put out, trash needs to be picked up. If I had the time to do one of these jobs I'd expect to be paid for my work. Since I don't have the time, I expect others to do this work for me, and I have to pay my share so that these folks can feed their families.

TT

Why do you think that government intervention is necessary for such services ?
Why do you think private business can't be more efficient for that than a bureaucrat ?
There are some services that the government must realistically provide as either the services are not needed often enough by individuals (like fire protection) or that individuals cannot realistically purchase individually (like national defense).

There are many services that the government provides that are contracted to private companies (like road construction)
Activity: 672
Merit: 503
November 08, 2014, 02:03:11 PM
There are services that I expect to be available in my community, roads need maintained, fires need put out, trash needs to be picked up. If I had the time to do one of these jobs I'd expect to be paid for my work. Since I don't have the time, I expect others to do this work for me, and I have to pay my share so that these folks can feed their families.

TT

Why do you think private business can't be more efficient for that than a bureaucrat ?

Because the entire history of mankind?

the entire history of mankind had a monarchy, so if we follow your logic we should have a monarch not a government.

Humans are prone to corruption when they have power. Now what's worse, the power that the state gives to the goverments, or the power that the monetary elites could have in a free market without regulations? thats the question,.
November 08, 2014, 12:09:14 PM
the entire history of mankind had a monarchy, so if we follow your logic we should have a monarch not a government.

No, Robert Paulson.  Wrong again.  Return to ditch digging pl0x.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
November 08, 2014, 11:41:26 AM

TT

November 08, 2014, 11:04:11 AM

TT

Activity: 714
Merit: 661
November 08, 2014, 10:58:01 AM

TT

Activity: 500
Merit: 501
http://digitalcoin.org/
November 08, 2014, 09:33:27 AM
I choose to pay taxes and I expect my neighbors to do the same. There are services that I expect to be available in my community, roads need maintained, fires need put out, trash needs to be picked up. If I had the time to do one of these jobs I'd expect to be paid for my work. Since I don't have the time, I expect others to do this work for me, and I have to pay my share so that these folks can feed their families.

TT
Activity: 526
Merit: 500
November 08, 2014, 09:04:17 AM
You are forced to pay tax. No one agree to it..
Activity: 675
Merit: 500
November 08, 2014, 04:39:35 AM
why do people agree to pay taxes?
Because their parents paid taxes.
The greatest tragedy of tradition Smiley

Another possible response from Nineteen Eighty-Four : because they think big brother is watching.

All we need is one politician who abolishes income tax. His successors will find it very difficult to reverse policy.  Grin
Jump to: