Pages:
Author

Topic: Why do people believe in religion? - page 9. (Read 19593 times)

Activity: 1932
Merit: 288
May 17, 2017, 01:48:08 PM
There are many religious people on earth. Even the vast majority of the world believes in monotheistic religions.
And often they do not question belief systems. There are many people who have Christian, Muslim and Jewish beliefs.

Why do they still believe in religion? I can not understand why people believe in religions in the age when we can reach the information so quickly.

2 main reasons:

1. fear of the dark death.
2. stupidity.

Funny, that you mention intelligence since so far, people, who have problem with english language, argumentation and basic human decency on this thread are firmly located in atheist camp.

But perhaps I shouldnt be suprised, the worst crimes against humanity in the past one hundred years were brought upon world by these atheists. All the more tragic, that people like you, who were raised crippled without ounce of humility extert so much effort to undo all the work of your ancestors. But those were pious people, so...

1. english isn't my native but i'm sure u got my point rigth.
2. i have nothing against the general idea of god (i.e. deism, pantheism) but if you believe in a personified jewish or other fairy-tale character, it means that you have mental disfunction.

how dare you defend religion and at the same time enjoy the benefits that science and technology have given you?

give at least one example of the achievement of religion over the past 100 years?

1. What are your archievements in your entire life?

You see the fallacy you have committed? Vast majority of knowledge and yes, 2. even technology was developed over tremendous amount of time by scholars, who were religious. In fact many of them still are as archievement and meanigful work is impossible without personal faith in the purpose of your work.

Modern west was build up by people with protestant morals, who were intitially dependant on knowledge savoured by eastern christians and muslims. Unbelieving heathens afterall dont see any value in knowledge itself, but merely its momentary profitability. And here we are today. Again.

I dont have problem using technology while having bible by my side, as one led Man to another. You are showing cognitive dissonance as in belief, that you were somehow created in vacuum without history or culture behind yourself. Everything you have and know today was developed by somebody before you.

So back to your question. What did religion archieve?

3. Religion shapes culture and culture then shapes civilization. You take the last one for granted and choose to not see inherent value of the other two. It will come and bite you later as every culture continue to exist on principles upon which it was founded upon. When you remove the pillars of your house, sooner or later it crumbles on your head.

1. i've got a phd (physics and math).

2. yep, once it was the same thing, like astronomy and astrology but now science is free of this dirt.

3. we have an example of a completely religious state – IS (the islamic state of iraq and the levant). so why don't u move there and taste all the delights of religious sovereignty?
Activity: 574
Merit: 506
May 17, 2017, 01:39:12 PM
There are many religious people on earth. Even the vast majority of the world believes in monotheistic religions.
And often they do not question belief systems. There are many people who have Christian, Muslim and Jewish beliefs.

Why do they still believe in religion? I can not understand why people believe in religions in the age when we can reach the information so quickly.

2 main reasons:

2. stupidity.

Funny, that you mention intelligence since so far, people, who have problem with english language, argumentation and basic human decency on this thread are firmly located in atheist camp.

But perhaps I shouldnt be suprised, the worst crimes against humanity in the past one hundred years were brought upon world by these atheists. All the more tragic, that people like you, who were raised crippled without ounce of humility extert so much effort to undo all the work of your ancestors. But those were pious people, so...

2. i have nothing against the general idea of god (i.e. deism, pantheism) but if you believe in a personified jewish or other fairy-tale character, it means that you have mental disfunction.

how dare you defend religion and at the same time enjoy the benefits that science and technology have given you?

give at least one example of the achievement of religion over the past 100 years?

What are your archievements in your entire life?

You see the fallacy you have committed? Vast majority of knowledge and yes, even technology was developed over tremendous amount of time by scholars, who were religious. In fact many of them still are as archievement and meanigful work is impossible without personal faith in the purpose of your work.

Modern west was build up by people with protestant morals, who were intitially dependant on knowledge savoured by eastern christians and muslims. Unbelieving heathens afterall dont see any value in knowledge itself, but merely its momentary profitability. And here we are today. Again.

I dont have problem using technology while having bible by my side, as one led Man to another. You are showing cognitive dissonance as in belief, that you were somehow created in vacuum without history or culture behind yourself. Everything you have and know today was developed by somebody before you.

So back to your question. What did religion archieve?

Religion shapes culture and culture then shapes civilization. You take the last one for granted and choose to not see inherent value of the other two. It will come and bite you later as every culture continue to exist on principles upon which it was founded upon. When you remove the pillars of your house, sooner or later it crumbles on your head.

May 17, 2017, 01:27:48 PM

2 main reasons:

2. stupidity.

Activity: 560
Merit: 257
May 17, 2017, 10:33:53 AM
People go to religion not for salvation, in the sense in which the Bible is written, but what they want is natural. But I have already made sure that everyone has his own way to God.

Well said, Not on the part that they do it to feel natural i really cant answer this one anyways. However on the part that people has their own way of having their faith on God.
Now after i have read your answers, one thing came to my mind. Salvation you say... I mean people like I who are not sure what they believe, and are not sure if God exist or not, when you say salvation i am not sure what you mean by that. Salvation from what, life? It is kinda weird to believe that we need salvation from our mortal life. After-life could be salvation for some, but what is purpose of salvation in mortal life... ?
Activity: 1246
Merit: 588
May 17, 2017, 09:41:23 AM
People go to religion not for salvation, in the sense in which the Bible is written, but what they want is natural. But I have already made sure that everyone has his own way to God.

Well said, Not on the part that they do it to feel natural i really cant answer this one anyways. However on the part that people has their own way of having their faith on God.
May 17, 2017, 07:42:39 AM

2 main reasons:

2. stupidity.

May 17, 2017, 07:31:27 AM

2 main reasons:

2. stupidity.

legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1468
May 16, 2017, 11:05:52 AM
Because the time when we where born it is already existed. Its like we are belong to a pack (religion). As long it serves us for our purpose to be in line with our human existence its all good.

Religion has been imposed since childhood on the place of birth, but in the modern world people no longer need to be slaves to religion.
We are not in the medieval age anymore, the church have less and less power than before thanks to the information era that we are now.

According to the definition of religion (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/religion?s=t), your way of life is your personal religion.

Cool

Puddleduck, you make me laugh. You are such a funny little fellow.

You strive so very hard for people to be religious.

Is everyone having a religion really so important to you? The fact that you make everything a religion totally minimalises your religion and makes it no more exciting than watching paint dry.

Please keep throwing the threats of "........ is your religion" around it makes me laugh.

That's an interesting religion you have there... according to the definition of "religion," of course.

Cool

13 pages of posts....

Simple answer is:  Stupid and insecure people need hope and assurance, that is why they believe in religion (aka nonsense).

No matter how ridiculous the religious dogma is, they cling to it as their last gram of cocaine.
May 17, 2017, 07:26:35 AM

Why do they still believe in religion. I can not understand why people believe in religions in the age when we can reach the information so quickly.

Now only those who are not sufficiently informed in the field of science can believe in religion and can not find an explanation for all things.

So tell me, why are you here, sir? I mean on Earth, not this thread in particular. What do you do here and what is your purpose?

The belief that we can understand life through science alone is like trying to understand a desert by counting every single stone and pebble in it.

You can try to google it, though. Good luck.
Activity: 200
Merit: 100
May 17, 2017, 07:16:25 AM

Why do they still believe in religion. I can not understand why people believe in religions in the age when we can reach the information so quickly.

Now only those who are not sufficiently informed in the field of science can believe in religion and can not find an explanation for all things.
Activity: 106
May 17, 2017, 12:39:09 AM

the one big answer is their faith and believes that religion give salvation in second life of every humanities. Religions portrait faith in different god's that they believe. Like Christianity this religion believes on the trinity of God the God the father, God of Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. In Muslim religion they believe in Allah as they God and prophet. In India they religion is Hinduism they believe in many gods like brahma the creator, vishnu the perseverance, shiva the destroyer and many more gods. In the other hand every country have a faith  and believes in the religion. This why religion come up and exist in the whole world because of their believes and faith that the religion can gave an eternal life and prosperity.
According to statistics people turn to Karelia only when they become ill or well in life. Most people under the lip was very difficult and therefore it is possible to say with confidence that in the moral plan it is easier when they turn to God.
May 16, 2017, 11:20:49 PM

Its because they are programmed since birth by their parents.

Just as you were programmed to believe by your parents to be an animal with oversized brain for its body mass?

I grew up in an atheist family, in postcommunist, industrialized country. And I found my way to a God.

A people’s religion, their faith, creates their culture, and their culture creates their civilization. And when faith dies, the culture dies, the civilization dies, and the people begin to die.
Activity: 292
Merit: 250
May 16, 2017, 10:00:54 PM

the one big answer is their faith and believes that religion give salvation in second life of every humanities. Religions portrait faith in different god's that they believe. Like Christianity this religion believes on the trinity of God the God the father, God of Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. In Muslim religion they believe in Allah as they God and prophet. In India they religion is Hinduism they believe in many gods like brahma the creator, vishnu the perseverance, shiva the destroyer and many more gods. In the other hand every country have a faith  and believes in the religion. This why religion come up and exist in the whole world because of their believes and faith that the religion can gave an eternal life and prosperity.
Activity: 229
May 16, 2017, 07:16:14 PM
Activity: 868
Merit: 289
May 16, 2017, 01:34:43 PM
Because this is the reason why people believed there is God, And with this things too they've been think it could a way for them to enter the kingdom of heaven, and this the reason I think why others understand each other and love one another also.
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
May 16, 2017, 01:15:43 PM
Because people are always seeking peace, without religion you can't find peace. You must discover your origin and think that where you came from and where you will go and what's the purpose of life then a religion can bring the answer of these issues, not only meaning of Life but also the perfect way of Life you may discover in religion. That's why, many of us have strongly believe in religion.

Religion usually brings war not peace, and it also brings out the worst in people. I'm sure its been positive for you personally but for others its been the worst idea ever thought up.

I think the reason people believe in religion is because it explains everything that is unexplainable and gives them a belief that someone is looking out for them.

Outside of Islam and a very few other religions, the religious writings show peace.It is people who claim a religion for themselves, and then don't follow the religion they claimed as their own, who often make war.

The greatest wars of the past, where the most lives were lost (Waterloo, Stalin, Hitler) were not religious wars.

Cool
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
May 16, 2017, 12:47:37 PM
Because people are always seeking peace, without religion you can't find peace. You must discover your origin and think that where you came from and where you will go and what's the purpose of life then a religion can bring the answer of these issues, not only meaning of Life but also the perfect way of Life you may discover in religion. That's why, many of us have strongly believe in religion.

Religion usually brings war not peace, and it also brings out the worst in people. I'm sure its been positive for you personally but for others its been the worst idea ever thought up.

I think the reason people believe in religion is because it explains everything that is unexplainable and gives them a belief that someone is looking out for them.
Activity: 826
Merit: 529
May 16, 2017, 12:41:33 PM
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
May 16, 2017, 11:53:12 AM

Religion is inherited from parents from birth. No baby understands anything, let alone to choose a religion, to speak can not. But after a long time, children get explanations about religion from parents or anyone and they can accept because religion is true, religion regulate what we should do should not we do. And that belief will last long even to death. Life is an option, but we should not be indiscriminate in choosing, including in religion. No religion teaches evil, all good, but there are the best that should be chosen.
Activity: 177
May 16, 2017, 11:20:30 AM

Pages:
Jump to: