Pages:
Author

Topic: Why do you believe God exists? - page 22. (Read 7890 times)

legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1055
October 17, 2018, 04:47:20 PM
There is no evidence of anything magically appearing in this world, Look at buildings, cars and the aeroplanes,  they were all made and it shows that everything has a creator so that means that Human Being who has made all these things must also have a creator,  it's just logical.

There is plenty of evidence of simple living beings evolving to really complex animals, they didn't need a creator.

Spontaneous and autonomous emergence of complex behavior is not evidence against a creator.

For Example:

Google's DeepMind AI Just Taught Itself To Walk
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gn4nRCC9TwQ
Activity: 1624
Merit: 645
October 17, 2018, 02:51:47 PM
There is no evidence of anything magically appearing in this world, Look at buildings, cars and the aeroplanes,  they were all made and it shows that everything has a creator so that means that Human Being who has made all these things must also have a creator,  it's just logical.

There is plenty of evidence of simple living beings evolving to really complex animals, they didn't need a creator.
Activity: 644
Merit: 259
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
October 17, 2018, 12:14:16 PM
Activity: 162
Merit: 10
October 17, 2018, 12:04:23 PM
for the first point I disagree with you, in my opinion if born in Saudi Arabia is not necessarily Muslim, because in Saudi Arabia there are also other religions such as Christianity, belief in religion depends on each other. someone's trust can change after adulthood, like the example of a little Christian time but after adulthood it turns into an atheis
Activity: 1708
Merit: 105
October 17, 2018, 02:43:42 AM

In addition, since I was a child, I was delivered and taught about the Lord who created the whole world and the LORD who determined our direction, and I believe that because of the daily life that I get and sometimes it makes no sense to get help from the Lord.
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1468
October 16, 2018, 08:54:46 PM
{quote]af_newbie]"The question of God existence or non-existence is not even a scientific question."
it is most certainly a scientific question; just because you cant use your scientific method dont mean you cant use another.
{quote]af_newbie]"We are all born into one religion or other.  Very few people alive today were born in Atheist families.

This, of course, will change in the future as more and more people lose faith in the supernatural."

very few people were born in atheist families because atheists create fewer babes; see where this would go? maybe an endless cycle, but not change without some new thing to change peoples minds on a massive scale.

people see the same evidence, and take it as evidence for different beliefs; people see evidence and dont even see the same evidence.
we always see everything through the lens of our own worldviews. we use worldviews to interpret what we see. so,, iwas taught creationist
sphell, and so take everything ive learned with this lens. the existance of God is a scientific fact. standard geology is error, big bang cosmology is error, plate tectonics is error, bacteria evolving into hyenas and snakes evolving into birds is error; i wont say darwinism is error, as i love to look at insects and other creatures and think about how they evolved/adapted;(survival of the fittest can be a useful theory, but maybe i misuse darwinism in this writing.)  i like to think of my philosophy as darwinistic, i think of myself as a darwinist, but maybe im delusional.

{qoute]af_newbie]"As for the God of the Gaps, well, we do have unknowns, let's leave them unknowns until they become known."

we need to assume something is true, because we will never have infinite knowledge. have to assume something, then you can build everything else on top of that.

Ok, whatever you say chief. Learn how to use the keyboard.  "{" vs "[", use the Preview button.

I think you are overly excited to disagree with me.
legendary
October 16, 2018, 08:51:44 PM
How can you prove or disprove faith?  People believe what they believe.  

You can't. That's why I cannot disprove your nihilistic materialism.

The only thing you can do is invite people to consider another perspective.

C.S. Lewis does this well as I highlighted earlier.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.46859248

I thought we went through this before.  My position is based on Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics).

Science has been proven to be the best way to find the truth.

Any position outside of Science cannot be proven to be true because the methods used are subjective. 

The scientific method is objective.

Good night boys and girls. LOL.
legendary
October 16, 2018, 08:09:10 PM
How can you prove or disprove faith?  People believe what they believe.  

You can't. That's why I cannot disprove your nihilistic materialism.

The only thing you can do is invite people to consider another perspective.

C.S. Lewis does this well as I highlighted earlier.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.46859248
legendary
October 16, 2018, 07:56:58 PM

we need to assume something is true, because we will never have infinite knowledge. have to assume something, then you can build everything else on top of that.

Agreed

However many today suffer from a peculiar form of delusion. They assume a nihilistic materialism is true while strenuously denying they are making any assumptions. It's really quite bizarre.

That said af_newbie and I are similar in some ways.

You see just like him I support people's right to believe in nihilistic nonsense the same way I support people's right to be mentally sick.

The difference between us is that I can point to numerous scientific studies that support my view that such nonsense actually makes you sick as it is correlated with both reduced physical and mental wellbeing and he cannot.
legendary
October 16, 2018, 06:55:03 PM

So I can prove to you that the "Gods" of all major religions do not exist, however, I cannot prove to you that some pantheistic God does not exist.

The question of God existence or non-existence is not even a scientific question.

Just one final point for clarity sake.

If cannot disprove a pantheistic God then you also also cannot disprove a faith centered on the worship of such an entity.

The most you can do is demonstrate that a particular religion's understanding must be incomplete or lacking using whatever logical inconsistencies you identify in their texts.

I agree that the question of God existence or non-existence is not a scientific question. Science alone is only a tool and too narrow a framework to fully evaluate the universe and our place within it.

How can you prove or disprove faith?  People believe what they believe.  You can look at their brain scans when they see religious images vs non-religious images and compare the data.

BTW, I also cannot prove that there does not exist a large bean in the center of the Moon that is controlling traffic in the New York City.   Not sure where you going with it.  If you are asking me if I agree with people who believe in Pantheism, well, I think there is no difference between them and believing in anything that we cannot prove not to exist.  They might as well believe in tooth fairies.

How do you prove that A does not exist if you cannot prove that A does exist?

If you can prove that A does exist, then you automatically prove that A does not exist, not the other way around.

There is an infinite number of things that you cannot prove that they do not exist.

PS. I support people's right to believe in the supernatural nonsense the same way I support people's right to be mentally sick.

As for the God of the Gaps, well, we do have unknowns, let's leave them unknowns until they become known.

legendary
October 16, 2018, 06:25:20 PM

So I can prove to you that the "Gods" of all major religions do not exist, however, I cannot prove to you that some pantheistic God does not exist.

The question of God existence or non-existence is not even a scientific question.

Just one final point for clarity sake.

If cannot disprove a pantheistic God then you also also cannot disprove a faith centered on the worship of such an entity.

The most you can do is demonstrate that a particular religion's understanding must be incomplete or lacking using whatever logical inconsistencies you identify in their texts.

I agree that the question of God existence or non-existence is not a scientific question. Science alone is only a tool and too narrow a framework to fully evaluate the universe and our place within it.
legendary
October 16, 2018, 06:18:16 PM
Today, people just know better.  Religions exist today only because our parents force us to believe in them at a risk of losing relationships with our family and friends.

The exuberant irrationality of religion is poignantly manifested in as much as this idea and all it entails, being amongst other things, grandiose, almighty, omnipresent etc., can take preference over, exceed and outdo the full qualitative value and meaning of having someone tangible right in front of you, a fellow human being with all manner of interactions to your avail - completely and utterly startling.

Except that people who want to leave religions do value human relationships more than those imagined ones.

People stay in religions despite the fact that they don't fully agree with the tenets only because they love other human beings.

Children continue to believe in parent's Santa Claus because they love their parents and don't want to hurt them.
Parents are deluded enough to force their religion on their children.

That is how religions propagate.

If you are interested in this, talk to ex-Muslims.  Probably the hardest religion to break out of.

We are all born into one religion or other.  Very few people alive today were born in Atheist families.

This, of course, will change in the future as more and more people lose faith in the supernatural.

legendary
October 16, 2018, 06:05:07 PM
Today, people just know better.  Religions exist today only because our parents force us to believe in them at a risk of losing relationships with our family and friends.

The exuberant irrationality of religion is poignantly manifested in as much as this idea and all it entails, being amongst other things, grandiose, almighty, omnipresent etc., can take preference over, exceed and outdo the full qualitative value and meaning of having someone tangible right in front of you, a fellow human being with all manner of interactions to your avail - completely and utterly startling.

I think dippididodaday inadvertently makes a good case for why you are incorrect about this point af_newbie. I disagree with him only where he describes the phenomenon as irrational as noted in the quote.  He captures well the shear power of religion.

It's not something that is entirely dependent on parent to child  transmission or social networks those those certainly play a role in transmitting and sustaining it.

We have no evidence that any God (of any kind) exists

Many would disagree with you. They would point to the natural world or written tradition as evidence. You would likely challenge that evidence with materialism and a dismissal of the historical accounts as fantasy.

At a minimum, however, if you are logical you must concede the following. We have no evidence God does not exist.

It depends on how you define God.  If God is some entity that created the first man out of dirt and the first woman out of a rib bone, 6000 years ago, well, that God does not exist, it was just imagined by very primitive people.  Today, we know that life has evolved from a single cell bacteria.

I cannot say that there is evidence that any God exists because there is none. 
We cannot prove that some pantheistic God does not exist.  There is no data either way.

What we can do is look at the religions and invalidate the tenets of the scriptures.  Scientific errors alone disqualify them as a source of any wisdom, never mind evidence of the supernatural.

legendary
October 16, 2018, 05:23:23 PM

I think dippididodaday inadvertently makes a good case for why you are incorrect about this point af_newbie. I disagree with him only where he describes the phenomenon as irrational as noted in the quote.  He captures well the shear power of religion.

It's not something that is entirely dependent on parent to child  transmission or social networks those those certainly play a role in transmitting and sustaining it.

We have no evidence that any God (of any kind) exists

Many would disagree with you. They would point to the natural world or written tradition as evidence. You would likely challenge that evidence with materialism and a dismissal of the historical accounts as fantasy.

At a minimum, however, if you are logical you must concede the following. We have no evidence God does not exist.

Activity: 441
Merit: 278
It's personal
October 16, 2018, 04:38:38 PM

legendary
October 16, 2018, 03:01:35 PM
A more sane explanation is that Quran was hastily assembled into a book by some military leaders who saw disorder among the ranks.
These guys plagiarized the Bible (which in turn was plagiarized from the Egyptian texts) and added few mistakes of their own in the process.

There is certainly reason to believe that historically many religions were often formed twisted and warped little more then gross political tools. Nothing has the power to cement control like a bad religion.

I read a study a while back that highlighted  the fact that pagan priests and rulers who sanctioned human sacrifice may have had such motives. The analysis of more than seven dozen Austronesian cultures revealed that the practice of human sacrifices tended to make societies increasingly less egalitarian and eventually gave rise to strict, inherited class systems. The ritual killings helped keep the powerful in power and everyone else in check. I discussed this more here: Pagans and Human Sacrifice.

But is this the entire story or is this simply a manifestation of the human capacity to twist, lie, manipulate and corrupt for power. Are all religious velvet gloves hiding the iron fist of tyranny underneath or is there is something deeper to some of them?

To help make that determination we need to look at religions with a critical eye understanding the historical landscape in which they arose.

The more religions act like political systems favoring control of the powerful over the meek the more suspect we should be. When a religion does the opposite of that when it facilitates the rise of freedom or favors the powerless over the powerful we have something of a conundrum. How could such a belief survive and form when it opposes the powerful? Such inconsistencies warrant further evaluation.

For what it's worth I am firmly in the camp that there is something fundamental and deep in at least some religions.

Very true.  Almost all religions (maybe with an exception of Buddism and Jainism) formed as political systems to rule over people.
God or other supernatural (entities) were conveniently used as no one to this day can prove or disprove their existence.  We have no evidence that any God (of any kind) exists, but we also have evidence that all religious texts contain scientific mistakes and flat-out historical errors.

What is more powerful than any human king? A supernatural Superman (aka God) who can do whatever he wants and squish any disbeliever like an ant.  This idea was hard to refute in times when those religions were invented.

Fear and reward in the afterlife worked so well that some rulers (like Mohammad and his military commanders) wanted their own version.

If today, some prophet (or political figure) came out with a book that claims his supernatural revelations are from God, he might sell few thousand on Amazon, but generally, people will say: "Nah, we have heard this before, you are a scam artist or you lost your mind".  There are many books on Amazon about supernatural, after-death experiences, UFOs, aliens among us etc.  

legendary
October 16, 2018, 12:09:23 PM
A more sane explanation is that Quran was hastily assembled into a book by some military leaders who saw disorder among the ranks.
These guys plagiarized the Bible (which in turn was plagiarized from the Egyptian texts) and added few mistakes of their own in the process.

There is certainly reason to believe that historically many religions were often formed twisted and warped little more then gross political tools. Nothing has the power to cement control like a bad religion.

I read a study a while back that highlighted  the fact that pagan priests and rulers who sanctioned human sacrifice may have had such motives. The analysis of more than seven dozen Austronesian cultures revealed that the practice of human sacrifices tended to make societies increasingly less egalitarian and eventually gave rise to strict, inherited class systems. The ritual killings helped keep the powerful in power and everyone else in check. I discussed this more here: Pagans and Human Sacrifice.

But is this the entire story or is this simply a manifestation of the human capacity to twist, lie, manipulate and corrupt for power. Are all religious velvet gloves hiding the iron fist of tyranny underneath or is there is something deeper to some of them?

To help make that determination we need to look at religions with a critical eye understanding the historical landscape in which they arose.

The more religions act like political systems favoring control of the powerful over the meek the more suspect we should be. When a religion does the opposite of that when it facilitates the rise of freedom or favors the powerless over the powerful we have something of a conundrum. How could such a belief survive and form when it opposes the powerful? Such inconsistencies warrant further evaluation.

For what it's worth I am firmly in the camp that there is something fundamental and deep in at least some religions.
legendary
October 16, 2018, 11:52:05 AM

Allah ta'ala says,
أيود أحدكم أن تكون له جنة من نخيل وأعناب تجري من تحتها الأنهار له فيها من كل الثمرات وأصابه الكبر وله ذرية ضعفاء فأصابها إعصار فيه نار فاحترقت كذلك يبين الله لكم الآيات لعلكم تتفكرون
"Is there one of you who wants to have a date and wine garden that flows beneath the rivers; he had in the garden all kinds of fruits, then the old age came to that person while he had young children. Then the garden was blown by a strong wind which contained fire, then it burned. Thus Allah explained His verses to you so that you might think about them. "(Surat al-Baqarah: 266)   
Actually it is not the grapes that obey the devil's work. But the making of the grapes that make alcohol and the devil's works are the ones who drink alcohol.

In Islam Allah forbids drunks like drinking alcohol.

this is what you really say

Set a bowl of fresh-pressed grape juice out on the table for a few hours in a warm climate, and the grape starts to turn into wine all by itself.

Find some grapes on a vine, where the grapes are over-ripe and have started to shrivel. Eat one of them and you will taste the fermentation right in the grape.

Say it right out straight, if grapes are off limits to Muslims. But if they aren't, they will ferment right in your stomach after you eat them. You can't get away from wine if you eat grapes.

Cool

Exactly.  The wild yeast living on grapes skin was supposedly put there by Allah, the maker of all things. LOL

Looks like Allah was confused about his own creations (or the writers of Quran did not know exactly what makes grapes turn into wine and settled on the "work of Satan" as the "answer")

What I mean above is behavior in the world

Because the situation in heaven is not like this world. The nature of this world for believers is the test and the field to get supplies until the afterlife. Allah SWT decreases so many rules that are obligatory or prohibited. Whoever carries out obligations and leaves haram, will get the pleasure of Allah SWT and be put into His heaven.

Whereas in heaven, it can be said that there are no more rules or shari'ah to do. All become permitted for believers. Something that is forbidden in this world is permissible. Including drinking khamar as you mentioned. Even khamar is available free in heaven on a flowing river.

Just stop for a second, you are jumping to human behavior and belief system.  Imagine there were no humans.  Just the two of us on Earth and we found this book with two verses 5:90 and 47:15 in it.  We read it and what conclusions can each of us draw?

Look at the verses again.  What does it say?  Explain each verse in your own words.

Imagine that instead of Quran, you are reading a Mayan text, and forget everything about your culture, all the humans you have ever met and talked to.
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
October 16, 2018, 11:31:37 AM

Set a bowl of fresh-pressed grape juice out on the table for a few hours in a warm climate, and the grape starts to turn into wine all by itself.

Find some grapes on a vine, where the grapes are over-ripe and have started to shrivel. Eat one of them and you will taste the fermentation right in the grape.

Say it right out straight, if grapes are off limits to Muslims. But if they aren't, they will ferment right in your stomach after you eat them. You can't get away from wine if you eat grapes.

Cool

Exactly.  The wild yeast living on grapes skin was supposedly put there by Allah, the maker of all things. LOL

Looks like Allah was confused about his own creations (or the writers of Quran did not know exactly what makes grapes turn into wine and settled on the "work of Satan" as the "answer")

Because the situation in heaven is not like this world. The nature of this world for believers is the test and the field to get supplies until the afterlife. Allah SWT decreases so many rules that are obligatory or prohibited. Whoever carries out obligations and leaves haram, will get the pleasure of Allah SWT and be put into His heaven.

Whereas in heaven, it can be said that there are no more rules or shari'ah to do. All become permitted for believers. Something that is forbidden in this world is permissible. Including drinking khamar as you mentioned. Even khamar is available free in heaven on a flowing river.

So, the question becomes, is it the doing? Or is it faith?

For example. If bad people kidnap a child of some rich parents, why does a police officer rescue the child? Does he do it because he feels sorry for the child? Does he do it because it is his duty? Does he do it for the reward the rich parents offer?

The point is, it isn't the doing that God recognizes as much as the reason for doing it. Why? Because God looks at everything; He looks at the hearts of people. God doesn't need people to rescue kids. He can do it Himself. But He has made this world, as you say, partially as a testing ground for people. So He lets people do what they do as a test on all of the people invloved. But He looks at the hearts/faith of people in the things that they do.

This means that the heavenly position (or the Hell position for those who don't make it to Heaven) is based on faith rather than works. The works are simply the result of faith (except in accidents).

So, what is the proper faith to have, since that is what counts? What do we have faith in? How does it work, this having faith idea or goal?

Cool
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
October 16, 2018, 09:42:29 AM

Allah ta'ala says,
أيود أحدكم أن تكون له جنة من نخيل وأعناب تجري من تحتها الأنهار له فيها من كل الثمرات وأصابه الكبر وله ذرية ضعفاء فأصابها إعصار فيه نار فاحترقت كذلك يبين الله لكم الآيات لعلكم تتفكرون
"Is there one of you who wants to have a date and wine garden that flows beneath the rivers; he had in the garden all kinds of fruits, then the old age came to that person while he had young children. Then the garden was blown by a strong wind which contained fire, then it burned. Thus Allah explained His verses to you so that you might think about them. "(Surat al-Baqarah: 266)   
Actually it is not the grapes that obey the devil's work. But the making of the grapes that make alcohol and the devil's works are the ones who drink alcohol.

In Islam Allah forbids drunks like drinking alcohol.

this is what you really say

Cool

Pages:
Jump to: