Pages:
Author

Topic: Will you allow the Government to look into your bitcoin wallets? - page 5. (Read 4337 times)

legendary
Activity: 3276
Merit: 2442
Fuck no.

A man needs some privacy. They already can look into our bank accounts. That's why some people withdraw their money and bury them after they converted 'em into gold. Most people use bitcoin because of that reason. Buying gold and burying them... too much trouble.
Activity: 553
Merit: 500
no way to let them look into my wallet unless they force me to do so,in my country many government officials report bitcoin or digitals currency in general as illusionary program and anyone use it declared officially unemployed person .
lack of technology and knowledge . 
Activity: 364
Merit: 254
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
I would not let them see it unless I had to. I don't think they would know what wallets we have bitcoins in unless they were on an exchange or we stared spending from a wallet and they could start to track it.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛
I will might be giving them my Bitcoin address, but not my Bitcoin wallet. This is just not the right thing to do, it supposed to be anonymous. And what's the point if the government looked at my wallet, what if I made a new wallet after that?
Activity: 672
I've got nothing to hide so if the tax organization wants to look they can look. Simply they are in their right to do so. Paying taxes is a debt in this society which even we bitcoiners can't escape.
Yes it would be uncomfortable and wrong but if they got the law with them, resistance is futile. It will get you end up in jail or worse jail and penalties.
Activity: 95
Merit: 4
First - if you know what you're doing, the govt cannot even have the ability to know that you're using Bitcoin

If they require you to provide an address, you can simply create a new address and store any amount of btc in there

I'm not afraid of govt regulating Bitcoin - they won't be successful. They can't even keep drugs out of prisons - you think they're going to be able to track virtual currency on a completely free/decentralized network? Hell to the NO
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
no, because that's my private wallet, as long as I'm not doing some shady transactions, well, nope
Activity: 144
Merit: 100
To add a little clarity, a wallet has 1 or many addresses associated with it.
Through your dealings with BTC you use, and maybe publish, different addresses.

For the world to be able to associate addresses with a wallet will depend on how many clues you leave behind.
If you are well known and use the same addresses over and over, you are leaving bread crumbs that allow people to trace you.

Lets say you have 2 bitcointalk accounts and you publish the same address in both, you have now given the world a hint that those 2 accounts are related.
Again let's say you sign up at coinbase and provide them a bunch of real world information and you generate addresses from there. Now your real world identity is associated with those addresses.

The amount of anonymity BTC, or most crypto currencies, provide depends as much on how you use it as it does the technology involved.
You are in control of how anonymous your BTC information is, if you want to stay very hidden you need to work at doing it.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048
Of course Smiley because if the government has indeed taken this attitude about bitcoin, per this scenario, then what do you think the penalty for non compliance will be? We jail people in this country for not paying the government a forced percentage of income. Would you want to play with that same government?

TLDR if this happens, not letting them in is tax evasion. You should probably, ya know, let em in.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
Isn't this against the bitcoin core philosophy in the first place ? Bitcoin is a decentralized currency and by making it centralized and supervised by a central authority like a government is something I will not let happen at least to my bitcoin wallets. Well one of them is registered in different sites so that one they know for sure but my main ones I have only 1 transactions in them and plan to keep them with only 1 for some time coming.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1036
In the coming days when the government will legalize bitcoin and puts up regulatory rules and policies on the use of bitcoins it is a prerogative of the government to monitor the bitcoin transactions as well as your bitcoin wallet. For how many years bitcoin has been operating outside the hands of the government and many illegal operations especially in the black market is taking place without being traced. This coming events may be helpful to the stability of bitcoins in its operation and security.
I wouldn't give the government any access to my wallet nor anyone for that matter, if that's what you're asking.

But according to how I understood your question, everyone can publicly see our wallet and the contents within given that we provide them our public address. If only that, then I wouldn't have any problems since anyone can actually see our wallet.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1049
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

i would have to ask valid reason as to why they want to check my wallet as asking me to check wallets is crazy.

if this really happen,i wil allow them to look into my wallet,and make sure that bitcoin is good and secure. but i think this is hard to believe if goverment trying to inspect our wallet one by one.

its not the reason why they want to check your wallet. they don't care how secure bitcoin is.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1018
In the coming days when the government will legalize bitcoin and puts up regulatory rules and policies on the use of bitcoins it is a prerogative of the government to monitor the bitcoin transactions as well as your bitcoin wallet. For how many years bitcoin has been operating outside the hands of the government and many illegal operations especially in the black market is taking place without being traced. This coming events may be helpful to the stability of bitcoins in its operation and security.

well they are free to look how much is inside my wallet. but that is whoever if they verify that its really the wallet i owned.
Still I'm not open to let them know its my wallet. in fact if they regulate bitcoin. i'd deposit mine to a mixer first and send to a new address
legendary
Activity: 2016
Merit: 1030
Privacy is always important
Well i will allow those government if they can accept all my transaction outside from gambling but honestly we choose bitcoin because of anonymously and we are here because we need a freedome no tax no government but if they control also add the regulation about bitcoin we will see coruption for bitcoin they will add security ended few years they add tax..
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
Once the goverments decide to regulate bitcoin and have the power to do so, I think bitcoin is dead. Why would you use btc if some of its main features are off? I 'm talking about anonymity and independency of course. Why won't you use then just a credit card?
Activity: 518
if this really happen,i wil allow them to look into my wallet,and make sure that bitcoin is good and secure. but i think this is hard to believe if goverment trying to inspect our wallet one by one.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1007
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
There are lots of bitcoin mixing service whose main service is to mix the coin and make it quite impossible to trace back. So even government try to trace every transaction they can't link it to any illegal activity if those coins are mixed. The another point is you don't have to show those addressess and bitcoin you have till you want to exchange it legally, in that situation also there will be many people already in every country willing to buy those bitcoin off the exchanger in heavy amount for cash.

So basically i think whatever rules and regulation government like to apply on bitcoin, they can't trace down bitcoin transactions and stop using it anonymously.  Grin
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1000
this is personal and my country do not make the rules regarding that and even they ask for my permission i would not let the government look into my bitcoin wallets because i got my bitcoin not from illegal activities
Activity: 518
I would not agree if it actually happened and I'm pretty sure all bitcoin user will begin to leave because all the freedom in the can of bitcoin has been taken by the government.
Activity: 1036
Merit: 250
Mayne it will be good for our safety and our security but The government should not have the control of bitcoin and our wallets if that happens the bitcoin will lose it's anonymity and also all of us users then they have the rights to know our bitcoin's worth and they will put a tax on it . And maybe they will use it for another sort of corruption .
Pages:
Jump to: