Pages:
Author

Topic: Will you allow the Government to look into your bitcoin wallets? - page 6. (Read 4337 times)

Activity: 1132
Merit: 818
The presumptions behind this question are wrong.

Why would any government want to look in your wallet?

The government will ask you for the net worth of your belongings for taxation purposes. So you have to state that yourself, the government has no need to look into your wallet. Of course you can lie about how many BTC you own, but you can also lie about how much you have in foreign savings accounts, in cash, in gold. So this question does not relate to bitcoin specifically.

Some people in this thread seem to want to avoid taxes. I ask these people to please refrain from using health care, roads, and education, and also to send a 'fuck you very much' letter to the people who signed up to defend your country. Or better yet, just renounce your citizenship and go live elsewhere please.

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520
I will never agree to the government checking on my account without a reasonable cause, it just not right
Activity: 1470
Merit: 655
they can look for my wallet but they can't find it anywhere because it is well hidden with multiple encryptions on a portable linux and also i have the wallet (electrum) seed memorized so it is in my head and nobody can extract it Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014
Yes, I have nothing to hide. I will gladly hand over my phone which has all of my bitcoins that I own. About .9 BTC.

Unless you don't hand them over the private key belonging to that address they can do whatever they want with your smartphone.
I however wouldn't let them watch my wallet.Sure they can track millions of addresses on the blockchain, but it's not easy for them to find out which addresses belongs to whom.
I would ask them to show me their bank account, then I may think about showing what I have.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073
I will give them full access to all my online wallets because they almost empty... The paper wallets, uhmmm that is a whole other matter. Once you have shown them the physical paper wallet with the

private key, your bitcoins are lost.. just ask the agents in the Silkroad case about that.  Roll Eyes It is for this reason why I never store my paper wallets at my home or my work. If they want to confiscate

my bitcoins, they would need to work for it.  Roll Eyes
Activity: 2744
Merit: 541
Campaign Management?"Hhampuz" is the Man
absolutely no  Grin Grin they would never know that i have a bitcoin wallets and they would never know that i am using bitcoin . i used bitcoin because of it's anonymity and i would never give them an access to see my bitcoin wallets . and they should never make a law to control this bitcoin .
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1500
WHy would I allow my government to look inside my bitcoin wallet?? Even after they legalize it, I will not allow them until it is a forceful act.

It is very very hard to track a bitcoin transaction because we have access to something called bitcoin mixer. It will help us to hide our asses. It will mix our transaction in hundred thousand bitcoin addresses so that the trail can never be found. I will start using their service if needed.

Because no government will want free distribution of money to their citizens. They will try to regulate everything. I won't allow them to regulate mine.

legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824
No way.
First, it's my private asset.
Second, they can't prove that I earned this BTC funds, or hold it, in my country Smiley
Third, Bitcoin is not recognize as legal money, so from perspective of my government, this BTC funds in my wallet have no value and they can't tax it.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1047
thecryptocurrency.directory
In the coming days when the government will legalize bitcoin and puts up regulatory rules and policies on the use of bitcoins it is a prerogative of the government to monitor the bitcoin transactions as well as your bitcoin wallet. For how many years bitcoin has been operating outside the hands of the government and many illegal operations especially in the black market is taking place without being traced. This coming events may be helpful to the stability of bitcoins in its operation and security.
I will not bitcoin purpose is to be decentralized and anonymous,here in our country we have a bank secrecy law,where authorities will need to ask the courts to give then permission to open your bank account,and bitcoin is no different it will put you in trouble ,my country is not patterned after north Korea.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010
BTC to the moon is inevitable...
i don't have anything illegal or anything that i want to hide so i don't care if government wants to take a loot at my bitcoin wallet.

but it is a disturbing thought that government wants to check out your finances or invade your privacy, and it doesn't really matter what i have or haven't !
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
I don't want government to look my bitcoin wallet. I use bitcoin because it's anonymity. It's like break my privacy and the anonymity aspect is no point if they do it.

At the end of the day what are you really doing that you don't want them to know about?
If your not doing anything wrong then you got nothing to worry about,  if you are then you should be doing it in such a way that they do not have anything to even start looking into.
Totally wrong.  Its opinions like this that put people on danger. 

'If youre not doing anything wrong what should you worry about'?  Everything. I dont trust my government,  i dont trust most governments. People are not infallible,  and being its people in government they should have the least amount of data and control as possible so they cant abuse it like everyone eventually does.

No if you think my comment means you should trust your government then you have it wrong.
The only thing i trust mine and other governments to do is spy and they are going to continue to do it weather you like it or not.

What you can do is use such things like PGP encryption for your emails and new addresses for every spend/receive from your bitcoin stash if you want to make it hard for them.

The topic is about governments looking at your bitcoin addresses, if you use thag address just once on the public blockchain they have the same right to look at it as you and i do.
Yes,  fair enough.  I know.

The topic is not exactly clear.  If we were debating about whether you should have to disclose btc addresses in annual taxes,  or for credit checks then that would be a discussion kinda worth having.  Of course the answer would still be no,  because it would be pointless.
legendary
Activity: 1638
https://www.bitcoin.com/
I don't want government to look my bitcoin wallet. I use bitcoin because it's anonymity. It's like break my privacy and the anonymity aspect is no point if they do it.

At the end of the day what are you really doing that you don't want them to know about?
If your not doing anything wrong then you got nothing to worry about,  if you are then you should be doing it in such a way that they do not have anything to even start looking into.

'If youre not doing anything wrong what should you worry about'?  Everything. I dont trust my government,  i dont trust most governments. People are not infallible,  and being its people in government they should have the least amount of data and control as possible so they cant abuse it like everyone eventually does.

No if you think my comment means you should trust your government then you have it wrong.
The only thing i trust mine and other governments to do is spy and they are going to continue to do it weather you like it or not.

What you can do is use such things like PGP encryption for your emails and new addresses for every spend/receive from your bitcoin stash if you want to make it hard for them.

The topic is about governments looking at your bitcoin addresses, if you use thag address just once on the public blockchain they have the same right to look at it as you and i do.
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas

The jews in Nazi Germany were doing nothing wrong.
legendary
Activity: 1638
https://www.bitcoin.com/

Activity: 490
Merit: 250
Activity: 504
Merit: 250
In the coming days when the government will legalize bitcoin and puts up regulatory rules and policies on the use of bitcoins it is a prerogative of the government to monitor the bitcoin transactions as well as your bitcoin wallet. For how many years bitcoin has been operating outside the hands of the government and many illegal operations especially in the black market is taking place without being traced. This coming events may be helpful to the stability of bitcoins in its operation and security.
I'm cool with the government looking at my public wallet/address (not the privkey of course). That's because I don't do anything illegal with BTC.

If, for example, I had to do something illegal, it's trivial enough to create another address and not do any transactions between it and my public address. If I had to, I would ask someone trusted to send my dark wallet some funds in exchange for my cash/BTC. Sort of like tumbling, but trusted since tumbler services may be controlled/spied on by the government.
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
'No' is the only answer.

There's enough of the covernment control in my life. Bitcoin was created as something independent, as a way to stay off the government. Why kill one of its main purposes?
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
Pages:
Jump to: