Pages:
Author

Topic: www.BITSTAMP.net Bitcoin exchange site for USD/BTC - page 4. (Read 231171 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 253
Now that we have BTC/EUR in Bitstamp, would be possible to order a EUR debit card?
Thanks
Activity: 980
Merit: 256
Decentralized Ascending Auctions on Blockchain
bitstamp have always been pretty much the shittiest exchange going
legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561

Better late than never. Bitstamp have finally filed their 2nd year of trading statutory accounts (to 31 Oct 2014).

http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/16/bitstamp-ltd-2014/preview/page/1/

They again took advantage of small companies exemption and presented only limited info to the public (abbreviated). You don't see their revenue or profits, but difference in reserves ("profit and loss account" line) suggest that net profit (after tax) was at least 691k Euro. Possibly higher if there were any dividends paid. I don't quite understand the 2013 re-statement though.

Overall, assuming the accounts were properly prepared, they show pretty healthy condition. They should've run some quick proof reading.
Activity: 172
Merit: 100
Running bistamp.net trough securityheaders.io gives it the lowest possible scrore, F. Any plans on improving this, bitstamp?
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082
Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile
One strategy to distinguish between email addresses that are in use (on a particular site) and those that are not is to attempt to have a password reset email sent.  Some sites will respond differently depending on whether or not the email address entered exists in their database.  Better sites respond with "If your email address is in our database, we have sent you an email."

I just verified that bitstamp's response depends on whether or not the email exists in their database, so that may be what has been going on.  Once the hacker gets a response indicating that the email exists, they have confirmed that they have the email address of a person with a bitstamp account.

So they would send out phishing mails or other scammails then? Since when they would try to login then my account surely would be banned for some minutes so that the automatic login tries can't be successfull. Though nothing like that happened.

I have 2FA, for all websites where i have lying something of value at one time, activated anyway.

I wonder what they want to do with it.
No, man.  I don't think they would send out phishing emails afterwards, but maybe.  I think it would be far more profitable to use emails that have been verified to be Bitstamp customers' emails by sending them spam advertising Bitcoin-related services.

Right, that might be. It might be they take the leaked database from the bitcointalk.org hack and check if the email addresses are still valid that way. Then they send out "double your investment hourly" emails. Cheesy
Activity: 444
Merit: 250
I prefer evolution to revolution.
One strategy to distinguish between email addresses that are in use (on a particular site) and those that are not is to attempt to have a password reset email sent.  Some sites will respond differently depending on whether or not the email address entered exists in their database.  Better sites respond with "If your email address is in our database, we have sent you an email."

I just verified that bitstamp's response depends on whether or not the email exists in their database, so that may be what has been going on.  Once the hacker gets a response indicating that the email exists, they have confirmed that they have the email address of a person with a bitstamp account.

So they would send out phishing mails or other scammails then? Since when they would try to login then my account surely would be banned for some minutes so that the automatic login tries can't be successfull. Though nothing like that happened.

I have 2FA, for all websites where i have lying something of value at one time, activated anyway.

No, man.  I don't think they would send out phishing emails afterwards, but maybe.  I think it would be far more profitable to use emails that have been verified to be Bitstamp customers' emails by sending them spam advertising Bitcoin-related services.
legendary
Has anyone received a password reset email that they hadn't requested?  Also my old password stopped working and had to request a new one and after that it blocked my IP for 900 seconds....

I received one on btc-e some weeks ago. Didn't have requested it either. I wonder why someone should try to do that? Does a hacker hope to get shown the email address or something like that?

if he requested password reset, he already knows your email, since your email is the login on btc-e

Right, hm, i have no idea what it could be good for then. Maybe someone had his hand on their mailserver or something like that? I had no problems logging in though. And btc-e has no coins from me anyway.

Has anyone received a password reset email that they hadn't requested?  Also my old password stopped working and had to request a new one and after that it blocked my IP for 900 seconds....

I received one on btc-e some weeks ago. Didn't have requested it either. I wonder why someone should try to do that? Does a hacker hope to get shown the email address or something like that?

if he requested password reset, he already knows your email, since your email is the login on btc-e

Right, hm, i have no idea what it could be good for then. Maybe someone had his hand on their mailserver or something like that? I had no problems logging in though. And btc-e has no coins from me anyway.

legendary

legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1002
Mine Mine Mine

i received it too. will be writing to bitstamp support & investigate.
Activity: 47
Merit: 0

legendary

legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

give it a while and wait, sometimes can take up to 1-2 hours to receive the password reset email
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
The Golden Rule Rules
legendary
Didn't file annual accounts on time last year, same story this year. WTF is wrong with you BitStamp? Yet again Companies House threatened to strike off the company (letter ref: DEF6/08157033).

Failing to file accounts is actually a criminal offence. That's as unprofessional as it gets.

Truly pathetic.

I'm always interested in seeing the proof that a law applies to a particular person or group of people.  Do you have a link for that?

You want me to prove that law applies to BitStamp? I don't have a link for that, but they did accept certain set of rules when they voluntarily registered as limited company.
Didn't file annual accounts on time last year, same story this year. WTF is wrong with you BitStamp? Yet again Companies House threatened to strike off the company (letter ref: DEF6/08157033).

Failing to file accounts is actually a criminal offence. That's as unprofessional as it gets.

Truly pathetic.

I'm always interested in seeing the proof that a law applies to a particular person or group of people.  Do you have a link for that?

Here in the U.S., we have a guy in Arizona (Marc Stevens) who recommends people always demand that the authorities provide evidence that the law applies to them, and a guy in Michigan (Peter Hendrickson) who wrote a book showing that Title 26 (the income tax) doesn't apply to most people.  Most Americans ignore these two fellows, but that is because they are scared of "The Man" and also psychologically damaged by public schooling (just like me, though I'm a somewhat more aware of the resulting problems and work to rectify them), and deceived by the propaganda of unethical players in the industry (Daniel B. Evans, Nancy G. Edmunds, Victoria A. Roberts).

If we take the wiser path of ignoring man-made laws (except those to which we have agreed in writing, ie contracts), there still may be a good reason for Bitstamp to "file accounts":
If they want the benefits of UK incorporation, and not give themselves bad publicity, then they need to file all their returns on time at CH.
So what are the "benefits of a UK incorporation"?  Avoiding bad publicity is a good idea, but if it's a choice between catering to the criminal political class and getting publicly shamed for ignoring their stupid laws, I root for the latter every time.
legendary
How come Bitstamp Limited haven't filed their first accounts yet??
The incorporation date was 25 July 2012. Aren't you overdue?

As per Companies House, you have 21 months:

6. How long do I have to file my company's first accounts?

If you are filing your company's first accounts and those accounts cover a period of more than 12 months you must deliver them to Companies House
•within 21 months of the date of incorporation for private companies or
•within 18 months of the date of incorporation for public companies

or 3 months from the accounting reference date, whichever is longer. The deadline for delivery to Companies House is calculated to the exact day.

http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/about/gbhtml/ca_gba3.shtml

The company secretary at Bitstamp is not taking his or her responsibilities seriously. It is a major disappointment to see such an unprofessional attitude at one of Bitcoin's largest exchanges.

A few weeks back they were threatened with being struck off the UK company register, clearly because of not filing papers on time. If they want the benefits of UK incorporation, and not give themselves bad publicity, then they need to file all their returns on time at CH.

Truly pathetic.
they are holding my money, I'm paying customer and is it completely their problem, that withdraws not working, regardless my bank. their customer support is reacting with 2 days delay (really, in 2015), so I don't care about them any-more.

I goggled little bit about them and actually, I'm not the only one facing similar issues..I have to switch exchange, any recommendation for Europe based one, which is not incompetent like this one from Slovenia?

I heard that btc-e is pretty good and quite honorable, so I've been using them.  They provide free margin in a generally closed market (it takes a day to move your accounting currency out of it, but transferring it in is immediate) and charge .5% for opening a position (long or short) and then nothing when you close it.
Activity: 227
Merit: 100
Everything working fine with Bitstamp, except for that anoying KYC which I am answering for the third time now...  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000
/dev/null
they are holding my money, I'm paying customer and is it completely their problem, that withdraws not working, regardless my bank. their customer support is reacting with 2 days delay (really, in 2015), so I don't care about them any-more.

I goggled little bit about them and actually, I'm not the only one facing similar issues..I have to switch exchange, any recommendation for Europe based one, which is not incompetent like this one from Slovenia?
Pages:
Jump to: