Author

Topic: [XC][XCurrency] Decentralised Trustless Privacy Platform / Encrypted XChat / Pos - page 469. (Read 1484191 times)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500
Hi guys anyone can give the link for the open source code for rev 1.5? I would like to send it to a friend of mine not into crypto but informatic ingeneer to see what he tells me.

thx
Activity: 324
Merit: 250

As a Bag-holder you don't wan't a large company to buy XC because they would not buy your coins, they would buy Dan, his team and the source code. Your coins hold 0 legal protection like a stock does, only critical mass adoption of the platform will protect your coins against this scenario if it presented itself.

I was actually thinking about this recently and came to the same conclusion, which is concerning. I feel like the likelihood of major companies being interested in acquiring this tech is extremely high. I'm curious about Dan's stance on the issue.  
You guys are right.  The Dev Team, and Dan Metcalf in particular are what make XCurrency the unique alt that it is.  If they act as rational economic entities they will sell their services elsewhere, but only if they think they can make more money.  And with XC's current market cap at a petite $ 4 million, that's easy to imagine.  However, staying independent offers lots of non monetary returns as well in that very independence.  And if XC moons, the money will be extreme.

And you guys are assuming that any purchaser would necessarily buy their services in exclusivity;  it's also easy to imagine the team getting hired to develop portals to the XCnet for the big isp's, or leveraging the current and growing XCnet in some other fashion.

all just wild speculation ............

instead of trying to push your imagination to the limit, tell more people about XC and share posts in fb/twitter
Activity: 407
Merit: 254

As a Bag-holder you don't wan't a large company to buy XC because they would not buy your coins, they would buy Dan, his team and the source code. Your coins hold 0 legal protection like a stock does, only critical mass adoption of the platform will protect your coins against this scenario if it presented itself.

I was actually thinking about this recently and came to the same conclusion, which is concerning. I feel like the likelihood of major companies being interested in acquiring this tech is extremely high. I'm curious about Dan's stance on the issue.  
You guys are right.  The Dev Team, and Dan Metcalf in particular are what make XCurrency the unique alt that it is.  If they act as rational economic entities they will sell their services elsewhere, but only if they think they can make more money.  And with XC's current market cap at a petite $ 4 million, that's easy to imagine.  However, staying independent offers lots of non monetary returns as well in that very independence.  And if XC moons, the money will be extreme.

And you guys are assuming that any purchaser would necessarily buy their services in exclusivity;  it's also easy to imagine the team getting hired to develop portals to the XCnet for the big isp's, or leveraging the current and growing XCnet in some other fashion.

all just wild speculation ............
Activity: 361
Merit: 250
I don't know if I am becoming too impatient but the frustration keeps growing inside me. Please give me your feedback guys. Am I becoming an impatient ass or this feeling is justified?

Look at Monero.  They don't even have an official wallet yet.  And their website hasn't been updated in 2 months.  

And yet this very coin is traded at a higher price than XC... tell me how that works ?

I tried a few times and hit brick walls.  My biggest beef with XC has to do with the PoS as I believe it is fundamentally anti adoption.  It discourages it.  

Monero intentionally made their adoption curve slow (vs doing a quick 1 - 3 month mine).  This will offer more time rather than people accumulating the coins and then holding on to them while trying to drive the price up by inventing features.  Currency needs consensus.  And I think that's what the feature hounds don't get ... speculation may drive short term price.  But adoption drives consensus.  And PoW is better for adoption / consensus than PoS.

(I actually suspect that PoS after a 3 year mining phase would work fine.)

I think this is a valid point - PoS does discourage trading and although everyone here seems happy that most of the XC are off the exchanges because no-one wants to sell them, low volume
gives the impression of no interest in the coin which is certainly not true. Of course there is very little real commerce going on in any crypto right now so all volume is fake and bot driven to that extent. So my hope here is that once crypto actually starts being used by real people this would no longer be an issue.  

Good Points,

I like POS because it contributes to price stability.
Activity: 100
Merit: 10

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

Hehe... and apple will be over priced like all of their normal shit! Then we got to see applecoin forked every 3 months for something "new" making your old stuff worthless and force you to fork out a premmy price for the "new".

But you'll be able to trade in three of your old coins for one of the new iCoins - and you'll be able to go to a genius bar if they don't stake properly - as long as the warranty hasn't expired on them. (God that sounds so likely I just scared myself) 

The warranty would only cover coins that are in the original addy too.... if it was transferred to another addy at any time, that warranty is void.

WTF on the 15 BTC worth of XC dump....

It's a coin, people want to make profit or if they perceive profit somewhere else, they will dump XC but eventually come back.
Real move would be to allow large coin holders possible 'stake' in the company through shares.
Think about it, if Google or Microsoft or Joe Schmoe wanted to buy the tech behind XC, they can theoretically kill the coin.  But I don't think this will happen - very drastic.   

I guess the only real thing I am ticked about is that I put in some recent cash ~ 130K.... I kinda had hoped that the 150k would have been the next floor... I hate flipping cryptos for profit, but I was going to cash out a few for school shit for the kids... guess that is on hold now ... they have all the supplies I guess that is good enough for now :/

BTW, I have seen this mentioned a few times...  but what is all this about shares and selling XC as a company? COnfused.
Activity: 509

Hehe... and apple will be over priced like all of their normal shit! Then we got to see applecoin forked every 3 months for something "new" making your old stuff worthless and force you to fork out a premmy price for the "new".

But you'll be able to trade in three of your old coins for one of the new iCoins - and you'll be able to go to a genius bar if they don't stake properly - as long as the warranty hasn't expired on them. (God that sounds so likely I just scared myself)  

The warranty would only cover coins that are in the original addy too.... if it was transferred to another addy at any time, that warranty is void.

It's a coin, people want to make profit or if they perceive profit somewhere else, they will dump XC but eventually come back.
Real move would be to allow large coin holders possible 'stake' in the company through shares.
Think about it, if Google or Microsoft or Joe Schmoe wanted to buy the tech behind XC, they can theoretically kill the coin.  But I don't think this will happen - very drastic.   

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
and I'm not just picking on XC fwiw

I don't see why it always has to be the open source model - at the moment
it's important to build trust and confidence but ultimately there might be other models. If e.g. the XC infrastructure/code were bought
out by e.g. apple, for sure future developments would no longer be open source.
(Of course we'd all have to rely on the goodness of apple to preserve the trustless principle but that's a different question.)

And anyway first mover advantage is everything - delayed open source still keeps XC ahead of the pack.

Dude, you think the general public gives 2 shits about if something is open sourced or not? I will use the KFC analogy again, people dont care as long as its yummy... same with cryptos, they wont care as long as it "works" and is as easy as possible with all the features they want. Simple as that.

Yep - that's exactly what I was saying. Once the big corporations like google apple whoever get stuck in - and they will - you can kiss open source goodbye. There'll be
microsoftcoin, applecoin, googlecoin and linux-coin for the open source devotees.

There already is amazon coin.
Something about open-source code

You know that the REV 1 of XC with some good code for anon tx is open source and some coin are using it with some tweak to claim that there are anon ?

Not bad for a cyber crypto funk wanabies corporation , you dont think so ?  Grin

That is why I for one, support keeping all the new code under lock and key because what your saying is exactly what will happen.... people forking and profiting massively ( see coin devs ).

See cryptos do not have copy right protection like everything else does... that is why drug companies can charge hefty prices on a new drug, because they know that no one can make a generic of it ( coins that try to copy the code of XC )

it's important to build trust and confidence but ultimately there might be other models. If e.g. the XC infrastructure/code were bought
(Of course we'd all have to rely on the goodness of apple to preserve the trustless principle but that's a different question.)

And anyway first mover advantage is everything - delayed open source still keeps XC ahead of the pack.

Dude, you think the general public gives 2 shits about if something is open sourced or not? I will use the KFC analogy again, people dont care as long as its yummy... same with cryptos, they wont care as long as it "works" and is as easy as possible with all the features they want. Simple as that.

Yep - that's exactly what I was saying. Once the big corporations like google apple whoever get stuck in - and they will - you can kiss open source goodbye. There'll be
microsoftcoin, applecoin, googlecoin and linux-coin for the open source devotees.

Activity: 661
Something about open-source code

You know that the REV 1 of XC with some good code for anon tx is open source and some coin are using it with some tweak to claim that there are anon ?

Not bad for a cyber crypto funk wanabies corporation , you dont think so ?  Grin

legendary
Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

If the PRIMARY function of the software is privacy and money transactions.  Then yes ... the general public (that gives two shits about internet money and/or privacy) will insist on open source for good reason.

To make sure it's really private.  To make sure it's really secure.
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

Probably just devcoin which is dedicated to the open source movement.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100

legendary
Before I'm accused of being a shill - I'm not in Monero or any anon coins.  I still think the winner hasn't shown up yet.

I don't think you're a shill at all, I think you're asking some pretty tough questions that I have had myself. You appear to have an unbiased curiosity about several coins, evident by your most recent posting history. I also struggle with the currency vs corporation issue and personally don't think we can be both. We will just have to wait and see what Dan has in store for xcurrency.

Thank you Smiley

Exactly.  Corporation or currency?  A corporation needs a currency - so I guess you could argue the XCurrency is XC's currency side and everything else is the corporation (anon chat, tor stick, etc).  

But then the only value your corporation can bring to the table is inventing technology that will get other people to buy into your currency.  There can be many corporations because they thrive off of innovation and production.  Not consensus.  

Currency needs consensus.  Corporations do not.
legendary
Call me ignorant but I think that Reddit post is bullshit!  I am DEFINITELY no expert when it comes to currencies but I don't think anyone could convince me at this point that there will only be "Bitcoin" in the crypto sphere.  I strongly believe there will be many, I guess time will tell:-)

The problem here is world currencies ... are worth something because of nationalities / armies that define borders, GDP, and the money is worth something because it is backed by the entire nation. 

Bitcoin kinda falls in this role as internet money.  It's backed by "the internet"

In a constantly fluctuating environment where a different "currency" is literally winning every week.  And at any time the winning currency is open to takeover by superior technology / whatever the market wants.  At the same time - you are talking about basically robbing everybody's bank accounts who hold the existing "currency".  In other words - for a new one to thrive the old one has to die.  Every time one dies - you're killing bank accounts value to zero.

Bitcoin has largely staid the winner (this shows somewhat what the article was talking about.  Traditionally only one currency works out)

But litecoin might be a prime example.  Litecoin has majorly bled in favor of Darkcoin, BitSharesX, NXT, Auracoin, etc etc.  The anon money is really split now between people trying to ride the fads (above poster made money off of BTCD) and people who really believe in the technology they are backing (XC) and people who believe that consensus (fair distribution, PoW) wins (Monero).

Then there is DRK in there somewhere that had another jacked distribution model ... and it's actually still the on top anon coin.  But I think everybody knows it's dying.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Before I'm accused of being a shill - I'm not in Monero or any anon coins.  I still think the winner hasn't shown up yet.

I don't think you're a shill at all, I think you're asking some pretty tough questions that I have had myself. You appear to have an unbiased curiosity about several coins, evident by your most recent posting history. I also struggle with the currency vs corporation issue and personally don't think we can be both. We will just have to wait and see what Dan has in store for xcurrency.
Jump to: